agent_c68
03-23-2004, 09:27 AM
I have a question about the moderators, How do they become moderators? Are they chosen, or did they ask? What process did they go through before they were made moderators? What are the requirements to be a moderator? I am just curious.

(Please, Do not turn this into a "I WANT TO BE A MOD!!!" Thread. It is a thread to ask questions about moderators and their responsibilities, not a place to beg to become a moderator)

completely_nuts
03-23-2004, 11:42 AM
I WANNA BE A MOD!!!! I WANNA BE A MOD!!!!! PICK ME, PICK ME!!!!!! PUHLEEEEEEEZ? ok. j/k. ;D actually, i'm rather curious about that myself....

john316
03-23-2004, 01:38 PM
I have a question about the moderators, How do they become moderators? Are they chosen, or did they ask? What process did they go through before they were made moderators? What are the requirements to be a moderator? I am just curious.

(Please, Do not turn this into a "I WANT TO BE A MOD!!!" Thread. It is a thread to ask questions about moderators and their responsibilities, not a place to beg to become a moderator)

Well I dont know about the others but I was asked if I wanted to be one....as far as requirements...I am not sure..I know that i had a few concerns that I talked to Will and Tracy about but other then that I dont know what they were looking for... as far as the process...I prayed about it and finally decided that if they felt I could do the job then i would give it a try.

I feel sure that there are others here that could do the job better then me....esp with the technical stuff....but since Will and the others trusted me enough to ask i wanted at least to try to help them.

Finally I look at this as a way to serve God while serving others...after all thats really what matters most :)

I hope this aleast answers some of your questions.

God bless

J3

fire-inside
03-23-2004, 03:08 PM
When it comes to being a mod, one of the things that Will wants is someone with a great deal of maturity. Someone mature that has been around the boards for a long time and will be able to answer questions, and give direction where needed.

Oh, and someone who is the complete opposite of my personality. :)

will
03-23-2004, 03:39 PM
a month or two ago, I mentioned in a post somewhere that we would likely be adding a few moderators. After that a few people did message me privately expressing their interest... I didn't intend that post to be an invitation for applicants per se, but I certainly didn't mind them letting me know they were interested either. In the end, the existing mods got together and discussed who we all wanted to add... we ended up talking and praying about it for a number of weeks before we made a final decision. I then messaged them to make sure they were interested, and that was that.

As far as what we were/are looking for... The actual job of moderating is not difficult by any means.. we just have a couple of extra buttons to merge and remove threads and such. Even though John has admitted he's not too great with computers, that doesn't really matter b/c it's all pretty easy. So we're more concerned with maturity (as Rachel said), how one interacts with the other members (for example, I wouldn't want a mod who was also provoking arguments or something), has been around long enough to know how we generally run things, etc. Of course, there are probably a hundred or more people on here that meet those requirements, and that's great. Ideally, the mods shouldn't really have to do to much, and to be perfectly honest we don't. There have been numerous times that I've run across a "Hi, I'm new" thread where somebody else has already notified the new member that we have an Introduction thread and pointed them in the right direction. Then all we have to do is slip in and remove the duplicate thread and that's it. That's the way I've always wanted these boards to run, and I'm excited that we're finally getting there.

oldschoolskillet
03-23-2004, 04:37 PM
hey will i like to become a moderator lol im look okay with computter but i cant spell so that puts me at the bottom of the list hahahah alol

will
03-23-2004, 04:41 PM
hey will i like to become a moderator lol im look okay with computter but i cant spell so that puts me at the bottom of the list hahahah alol

perhaps you didn't read the initial post in its entirety. allow me to call your attention to the second half of his message...

oldschoolskillet
03-23-2004, 04:47 PM
oh sorry lol i mest understood sorry guys

mysterious-wave
04-01-2004, 02:09 PM
*smacks him*

Just out of plain curiosity, (I'm not saying I'm interested in being a mod...) How long does a moderator have to be on a day, or what is the average amount of hours does a moderator stay on the computer?

pslams 146
08-03-2005, 10:44 AM
What are you talking about mod? whatis it? Could you explain?
But God is great he helps me and lot ways this world is hard. I have tough time with people and I do not know any of your questions.

theelectric3
08-03-2005, 11:41 AM
a mod is short for moderator. and basically the job is to be there in case something goes crazy on the boards, they can help get it back under control. and like will pointed out, we've been blessed by all of you because we don't have to do much. you guys and gals keep things pretty smooth. :)

Isildur9473
08-03-2005, 12:04 PM
What are you talking about mod? whatis it? Could you explain?
But God is great he helps me and lot ways this world is hard. I have tough time with people and I do not know any of your questions.

What in the world are you trying to say?

NightCrawler
10-07-2005, 11:25 PM
So we're more concerned with maturity (as Rachel said), how one interacts with the other members (for example, I wouldn't want a mod who was also provoking arguments or something)
I know this thread is old, but... mind if I pick at this?

Arguing is not immature. Fighting is. Quarreling is. Provoking anger, just for anger's sake, is quite immature. Hate people is sinful. Jesus argued -- can you say 'a Jesus vs chief priests and teachers of the law debate'?

Perhaps I am just jumping on the wording because I wouldn't care to think of half-of-the-reason-I'm-on-forums as an immaturity, or a lack of personal/interpersonal development.

lamb_servant72
10-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Just out of plain curiosity, (I'm not saying I'm interested in being a mod...) How long does a moderator have to be on a day, or what is the average amount of hours does a moderator stay on the computer?

I was wondering this, too. Do the moderators have a certain time they are each responsible for the boards?

bob
10-08-2005, 06:45 PM
no, I don't think they do, because in all the years i've been here i've never seen a pattern in a moderators online status. Moderators are people too and they have a life too, so they aren't obligated to be here 24/7. That is why there are more than one mod.

theelectric3
10-08-2005, 07:49 PM
I was wondering this, too. Do the moderators have a certain time they are each responsible for the boards?

no, we just all try to check the boards at least once a day. since our scheduales are different, we are more or less covering the board frequently. we don't put a time slot for each person because being a moderator is voluntary work and we want understand how life can get busy and scheduales change. we appreciate the willingness of each moderator to serve and so we want to be considerate of their personal needs as well.

unshakeable15
10-09-2005, 03:26 PM
I know this thread is old, but... mind if I pick at this?

Arguing is not immature. Fighting is. Quarreling is. Provoking anger, just for anger's sake, is quite immature. Hate people is sinful. Jesus argued -- can you say 'a Jesus vs chief priests and teachers of the law debate'?

Perhaps I am just jumping on the wording because I wouldn't care to think of half-of-the-reason-I'm-on-forums as an immaturity, or a lack of personal/interpersonal development.
i think it's mostly your wording. :)

argue for the sake of discussion to draw out some point of truth to something? yes, by all means. argue for the sake of "proving" lima beans are better than corn? no. it's all in the use of the word as to how you can interpret it's meaning. so, for safety's sake, we prefer discuss or debate. :) but argue works in the right sense. (not that mods should get into to many "arguments" because if things go sour, it's hard to be an impartial moderator between the two or more parties).

lamb_servant72
10-13-2005, 06:55 AM
Can mod's view pm's?

(I've got some I better go delete! :o HA!)

NightCrawler
10-13-2005, 09:34 AM
i think it's mostly your wording. :)

argue for the sake of discussion to draw out some point of truth to something? yes, by all means. argue for the sake of "proving" lima beans are better than corn? no. it's all in the use of the word as to how you can interpret it's meaning. so, for safety's sake, we prefer discuss or debate. :) but argue works in the right sense. (not that mods should get into to many "arguments" because if things go sour, it's hard to be an impartial moderator between the two or more parties).Heh.

Well, thanks for clearing up word discrepancies. I like those things being cleared up. And, I think this policy you described should be almost universal. It is relevant to most, if not all, forums. Really cool. ;D

john316
10-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Can mod's view pm's?

(I've got some I better go delete! :o HA!)

To late i have done read them ;) ...just kidding...no mods can not read pms(at least not that i know of)....they are private.

unshakeable15
10-13-2005, 03:15 PM
and for those of you who think John just doesn't know how, no worries. :) he's not the only one. ;)

just like mods do not know individuals' passwords, we cannot read your PMs. not that i'd want to anyway. ;)

theelectric3
10-13-2005, 03:44 PM
yeah, no we cannot. private messages are private. :)

skynes
10-24-2005, 02:49 AM
Noone on the boards can see another's PM. I don't think even Will can.

However... Whoever has access to the actual server PH.org is on, can. They can see every post and thread and message.
I don't think they can see passwords because they'd be encrypted.