skynes
06-10-2004, 03:23 AM
Strange, I can't seem to find the Fictional Writings thread I made ages ago. Did it die somewhere? lol

Anyway I'm posting here what I have written in my story of Legacy of Numach.

I'm putting it in the arcade as I will eventually be making a game out of this.
Don't ask me what format or what language its coded in or anything cause I simply dont know yet. I'm getting the story and system designed first, then I'll worry about implementing it.

If you've read bits of this before, it may be good to re-read it as I've been changing bits and adding bits constantly throughout.

unshakeable15
06-10-2004, 09:55 PM
as for the Fiction Writings thread, it's still there. just hidden. go to the bottom of the Gen Discuss page to the Display Options. you're smart enough to figure it out from there. ;)

& i'll be sure to check out your additions later when i have more time. :) i pride myself in the fact that i was able to be one of your first fans. :D

disciple
06-10-2004, 10:02 PM
I used to write some [pretty lame] fantasy that would have made an OK VG. But my science fiction was promising. But that's not my calling. I'd have loved to write my stories of The Anomalies, an awesome tale of mutants created by an illegal branch of the government.
The plot is not as bad or corny as it sounds: normal people were tested on. They would have made awesome movies and fun video games. Especially ones about Radius. Radius, Golem, Blink, Jon, Angel, and Jackal were my favorites. I still have the (retarded) first chapter or two of the best book. I wish I could have re-wrote it, but God called upon my to preach. My fantasy was lame and riddled with sin. TTYL, and if you want more, ask. God bless you all!

skynes
06-14-2004, 04:57 AM
i pride myself in the fact that i was able to be one of your first fans.

Indeed you were one of the first. There's actually a couple of dozen fans now :P Not bad since it's not even out of design yet!

unshakeable15
06-14-2004, 08:04 PM
sweet!

sad to say, tho, that i have not yet had a chance to read the updated version. :( been a busy couple of days. as soon as i do, however, i will post my thoughts. :D

disciple
06-14-2004, 08:26 PM
I'm sure your books are gonna be great -- far greater than mine, I'm sure -- when you finish them. I don't need to read them to know. I wish I could, but since I'm considering writing again, I don't wanna accidentally copy something from your book and not know about it because of my memory.

skynes
06-15-2004, 03:12 AM
There's no rush. Read it when you all get time.

There's 7 pages in total. 1 for LoN1.doc and 6 in LoN2.doc

disciple
06-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Yeah, on Microsoft Word my average page length is... 8 or nine. Because I have ones that are like 13 and 18 pages long, and then tiny 5 or 6 page ones (no offense -- I meant that is comparison to my 13-page chapters.)

skynes
06-16-2004, 04:29 AM
No offense taken. I've only been working on this for 6 months or so and this is the first thing I've ever written. I never bothered writing before because I believed myself to be horrid at English, mainly due to my appaling grades. But I needed to get this story written for my game as early as possible so I just started writing... and totally freaked myself out.

weebird20
06-16-2004, 05:35 AM
you totally freaked me out too....cus the story is SO awesome!!!

i love all the detail u put into it, givin a good background to the story ;D keep writing more...i wna know wots gona happen next!

the game is gona ROCK, i know it :afro:

disciple
06-16-2004, 11:07 AM
I can't wait to read it, though. I have always been told I am one for detail, so I wanna compare for the sake of bettering my writing. Wouldn't that be a thrill? Knowing you helped my writing improve?

skynes
06-17-2004, 02:02 AM
If you wanna read it go ahead, its on the first post.
I doubt Id help improve your writing, this is the first thing I've ever written (won't be the last though. I need one of these for every game I make!)

Every game I make MUST have a killer storyline, you know the kind of story that even if you don't like the style of game you'd keep playing JUST to find the end to the story?

disciple
06-17-2004, 10:45 AM
I know it. :) Yeah, if I would write the stroy and style and gameplay for a video game, I'd be a happy man! I've always wanted to be the person who made all those old RPGs like Hydlide and all those adventure games like The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I have a million game stories stored in my head. Just by looking out the window of my dad's (and soon to be my) truck when we're taking care of lawn stuff, I am inspired to write a whole new book. I have a great imagination for these things, but Scott, anything with deep detail can help me write better. God bless,

A.D.

unshakeable15
06-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Scott, i finally got time to read the updates. i like 'em. :) the story is unfolding. i seriously can't wait until this is actually playable. :D guess that'll work on my patience. ;)

i did find that you don't like to use commas that much. ;)

here's a sentence you wrote:
That not being enough this beast had highly developed wings allowing for full movement in the air and adding further insult to the injury it has the ability to blend in with its environment becoming almost unseen to the human eye.

here's how it looks with some added commas to break up the thoughts and ideas so they don't run together:
That not being enough, this beast had highly developed wings allowing for full movement in the air, and adding further insult to the injury, it has the ability to blend in with its environment, becoming almost unseen to the human eye.

disciple
06-20-2004, 08:14 PM
MAn, My stuff STINKS compared to that... *shrugs* but soon I'll post up a chapter of my book that I gave up writing. I guess I'll see how you guys like it.

skynes
06-21-2004, 04:07 AM
i did find that you don't like to use commas that much.

commas? What are commas?

I've said before my English sucks. I use punctuation only when I feel like it. It's not really that important since this is just a script for theg ame story and isn't a book in itself.

unshakeable15
06-21-2004, 06:03 PM
very true. :) and since i'm an English-major kinda guy, those things stick out to me. it does make it easier to read tho imo. but since it's only a script and not necessarily gonna be seen by everyone and their mom, it should be ok. :) just so long as you can understand what you're trying to say. ;)

disciple
06-21-2004, 06:05 PM
lol, sometimes I look back on my old work and I can't even understand what I was trying to say... lol, it's pretty funny ;D

skynes
06-23-2004, 01:38 AM
If you want to see funny try this:

Look at a copy of my handwriting now
Look at a copy of my handwriting when I was 10

they're identical

disciple
06-23-2004, 01:40 AM
lol. that is pretty funny. me too, only minor improvements

skynes
07-28-2004, 03:30 AM
Here's a few sketches of Numach. Just some concept ideas.

Laura did the first 4. you can tell her's because of her art style. The last one was done by Freekypeeple.

unshakeable15
07-28-2004, 03:03 PM
i must say that i like Laura's style better. not just 'cause i know her, but 'cause it's just more fluid and real (as real as Numach can be).

disciple
07-28-2004, 04:06 PM
Oh, wow... they all are way awesome. Serious talent here, people. 8)

skynes
07-29-2004, 04:09 AM
There's elements of all the pics that I like, I'm going to try and incorporate pieces from ALL of them into my own drawing. (Gonna do it in Flash so there's a greater chance of it being 'decent')

unshakeable15
07-30-2004, 02:50 PM
if 'decent' means 'professional, without sketch marks' then yes, it would. :) altho, i tend to like sketches.

but with what you are using it for, Flash would be so much better. it should look totally and completely rad when you're done. if it doesn't, i'm going to personally fly to Belfast and kick you in the pants. ;)

theinvaded
07-30-2004, 03:36 PM
I used to write fantasy a few years back.
It was pretty bad, but I did write...I think over 100 pages in one story. Quantity over quality!

I'm actually still writing fantasy, but not D&D type fantasy- more along the lines of something Richard Adams or Michael Ende might write. At least, that's what I'm shooting for...

disciple
07-30-2004, 03:43 PM
I used to write fantasy a few years back.
It was pretty bad, but I did write...I think over 100 pages in one story. Quantity over quality!
Amen, brother, sounds like what I used to write. :P
I'm actually still writing fantasy, but not D&D type fantasy- more along the lines of something Richard Adams or Michael Ende might write. At least, that's what I'm shooting for...
What kinda stuff do they write? Might sound like what I used to write before I switched to Sci-Fi.

theinvaded
07-31-2004, 09:31 AM
Richard Adams- Watership Down, Shardik.
Michael Ende- Momo, The Night of Wishes, The Neverending Story

Stories that are considered fantasy, but have deeper moral meaning underneath with possible symbolism from today's world. It's sort of the difference between a 'fairy tale' and a 'fantasy'- none of the books above really include the usual stuff you'd find in a regular fantasy, yet they have a whole lot of symbolic depth. I wanna try and write fantasy for people who don't like fantasy. I hope to do so, anyway.

disciple
07-31-2004, 11:36 AM
That used to be my goal, long ago. Now I am writing Science-Fiction for those who don't like it ;D I am hoping it will be good enough for both worlds... those who do and do not like Sci-Fi alike.

But, uh, *notices topic* I believe this thread is about the Legacy of Numach. ;)

skynes
08-03-2004, 01:13 PM
if 'decent' means 'professional, without sketch marks' then yes, it would. altho, i tend to like sketches.

but with what you are using it for, Flash would be so much better. it should look totally and completely rad when you're done. if it doesn't, i'm going to personally fly to Belfast and kick you in the pants.

You give me too much credit.

----------------

This is the beginning of the sketch merger. Not much done yet and still LOTS of work to do. This is probably my biggest piece yet.

disciple
08-03-2004, 01:18 PM
It shows promise 8)

skynes
09-14-2004, 05:34 AM
I'm in the process of getting Legacy of Numach copyrighted. Tis my birthday present :D So expect to see future updates of Legacy of Numach to have that little C in a circle at the end of the name :D

I've also worked out how things are going from here. It's going to require me writing 3 versions of the next bit. As I'm writing a game script and not a novel I need to takei nto account the fact that I want this to be an open game where you choose what order to do things and how to go about a mission/task/area. So for this next bit I need to write 3 separate stories.

General layout: Biocon are transporting a large amount of biogel from Site C to Site A (main plant), either Numach can-

1. Break into Site C before the truck leaves and stop it leaving.

2. Attack the truck mid-transit

3. Disrupt Site A after the truck arrives (possibly contaminate the biogel, set it alight ot something).

I won't post any more story until I have at least one version done. The three versions do NOT go together, they are NOT a continuation, they are the events that occur depending on the choice the player makes. Yes there is a choice 4 where the player does nothing but you don't need a story for that.

unshakeable15
09-15-2004, 04:39 PM
that is so totally and completely awesome Scott. ;D sweet! doesn't even begin to describe it. :D THAT's what i call a birthday present. ;)

i like games like that where you can choose where to go. makes playing the game multiple times over not so boring. get to have different stories as you go along. :)

disciple
09-15-2004, 05:20 PM
Yes, it makes the experience different each time you play. ;D

skynes
09-16-2004, 06:03 AM
I need to work out in reality how to do that. It would probably involve a time based game, where time goes on, day to night etc. Not linked to real time of course, I don't want any playing at 4am to catch the Biogel truck halfway! LOL!

But it would place a time limit on the game on how long you have to beat Biocon to stop them mass producing Numachian soldiers. Each mission both optional and forced will delay this time allowing you longer to train and prepare for taking them on.

Thing is though I don't want a forced time-limit, but that seems to be the direction it's going. Any ideas?

Having multiple paths also allows me to come up with more sarcastic come-backs for Numach to do!
THAT's what i call a birthday present.
Yeah forget my subscription to Nintendo Magazine, I want a copyright!

disciple
09-16-2004, 04:09 PM
I need to work out in reality how to do that. It would probably involve a time based game, where time goes on, day to night etc. Not linked to real time of course, I don't want any playing at 4am to catch the Biogel truck halfway! LOL!

But it would place a time limit on the game on how long you have to beat Biocon to stop them mass producing Numachian soldiers. Each mission both optional and forced will delay this time allowing you longer to train and prepare for taking them on.

Thing is though I don't want a forced time-limit, but that seems to be the direction it's going. Any ideas?

Having multiple paths also allows me to come up with more sarcastic come-backs for Numach to do!
Oh, yeah, bring on the sarcasm. :D

I have a couple weak ideas.

1) Make only certain, crucial moments time-limited.

2) Make it a looong time limit :P

It sounds fun. 8)
Yeah forget my subscription to Nintendo Magazine, I want a copyright!
Amen to that. :P

unshakeable15
09-16-2004, 08:16 PM
what about making a faux time limit? as in, there are days and nights but not much else in the way of time beyond that. nobody mentions things like "three days from now." you'd still need to have each mission (like the one with the Biogel truck) have a time limit, but depending upon the mission, it could be a long time limit (like what AD said).

what would be kinda cool too is to have multiple missions and have them overlap in the time limit so that you could start one, go and do another one, then come back and finish the one you started. or even force the player to do that, makes them think a little outside the normal. ;)

skynes
09-17-2004, 07:06 AM
Tis good ideas you're firing out. an unlimited time limit but when you goto certain places you'll trigger events that force immediate action. It allows a certain kind of freedom.

I figure some 'missions' (I use the term mission loosely as they're not really missions) will require other missions to have been completed first.

e.g. Numach stops the biogel truck and turns it into a mobile firework, a while later Biocon try a SECOND shipment.

If Numach doesn't stop the shipment in the beginning, he can't stop the 2nd one cause it won't happen!

Oh, yeah, bring on the sarcasm.
Numach is gonna be one witty sarcastic git and rather insulting too.

Ah so much design done yet so much to go!

disciple
09-18-2004, 04:45 PM
Sounds ingenious.

Hey, they use 'missions' in games like Siren and the like. And I don't see doing anything in that game as a mission, but a means of survival.

Lovely! Bring on the wit and sarcasm. Numach sounds like my kind of guy. :D ;)

skynes
09-23-2004, 03:53 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while, but never implemented it due to my ideas being nicked, but since Numach is on the copyright trail I've decided that I can begin a small website about it.

Really it's just an excuse to develop a style for the game and title n stuff. Something to 'encourage' me to get off my butt n do it!

It'll take a while, since I've started university now and the travelling is very tiring (I've been coming home at 7pm, getting food and being in bed by 8! Only to get up at 7am and repeat the process.)
but I'm saying this now cause I could use some suggestions on... everything really. Layouts, buttons etc. anything u can think of.

unshakeable15
09-23-2004, 06:41 PM
wow, aren't you ambitious. :D going to school all day yet still getting your own web site up and running. well, i'll get thinking on ideas, but for now, here's one:

one thing i've always liked is a site that has the menu bar follow you as you scroll down the page (like here (www.cprimprov.com). it's nicer than having to go to the top of the page to go where you want to go next. and it's cooler than the "go to top of page" buttons. ;)

skynes
09-24-2004, 08:23 AM
one thing i've always liked is a site that has the menu bar follow you as you scroll down the page

Lol! I so wish I could do that! But I've nowhere near the amount of HTML skill needed to do that! But I'll look into it, I have some very HTML and PHP proficient friends. they might be able to help. That and most of the Christians I know in University are doing Interactive Multimedia Design helps too :P

skynes
09-24-2004, 11:34 PM
I got my copyright certificate this morning. I can now REALLY put (c) at the end of Legacy of Numach :D

agent_c68
09-25-2004, 12:30 AM
Sweet!!! Hopefully it would be on sale in the states after you're finished.

unshakeable15
09-26-2004, 08:46 PM
if not, i guess i'll just have to make a trip to the UK to get a copy, with a signature on the box of course. ;)

as for the coding needed for that, it's cool. it's not like you have to put that in, i just thought it'd be cool. :)

*still thinking of ideas*

skynes
09-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Id do my absolute best to make it available in as many places in possible. this whole project is going to need a lot of prayer. It isn't gonna be easy.