VGV Owner
09-07-2004, 01:54 PM
for signatures? Like how many lines of text, banner size, and picture maximum?

skilltroks
09-07-2004, 02:16 PM
you can't have pics in your siggy.
and at the bottom of the siggy box thing there should be the limit for text

skilletosis
09-07-2004, 04:29 PM
For starters this is covered in the http://panheads.org/boards/showthread.php?t=241 which yur supposed to read when registering...

- Signatures: Try and keep your signature at a moderate length (in general, 3-4 lines should be adequate). A good rule of thumb is that if your signature is consistently longer than your actual posts, then it is probably too long.

VGV Owner
09-07-2004, 04:39 PM
You meen you can't have banners!

skilltroks
09-07-2004, 05:40 PM
sry.. nope.

VGV Owner
09-08-2004, 09:57 AM
Wait! The topic that the moderator refers to me, says . . .
- Signatures: Try and keep your signature at a moderate length (in general, 3-4 lines should be adequate). A good rule of thumb is that if your signature is consistently longer than your actual posts, then it is probably too long.

It doesn't say you can't have pictures. You need to update your rules.

skilletosis
09-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Just because it doesn't say you can't doesn't mean you can or should. I mean come on the bible doesn't say "don't smoke crack" but we know from it's guidelines on drunkeness it covers that as well. Also read the part about advertising. It stands to reason that if we don't want advertising threads then banners wouldn't be a good idea either. Again please go reread http://panheads.org/boards/showthread.php?t=1410&highlight=korey+thread carefully. We aren't rule freaks here. We trust that our members will adhere to the policies. And for the most part they do. That's what makes this such a wonderful message board....

Having a picture of any size no matter how wide would take up more than 3 or 4 lines just to make it big enough to see. Which goes against the guidelines. We ask that common sense be used when setting up siggys.

VGV Owner
09-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Well, the link doesn't work,but I guess I'll just have to update the rules to my shop.

skilletosis
09-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Just go to Laws of the Land, that's where the thread is from...

VGV Owner
09-08-2004, 11:30 AM
What is it called? Chatroom or Reference?

agent_c68
09-08-2004, 01:23 PM
The Laws of the Land (http://www.panheads.org/boards/showthread.php?t=241)

Is this what you're looking for?

VGV Owner
09-08-2004, 02:02 PM
No, she said

http://panheads.org/boards/showthread.php?t=1410&highlight=korey+thread

Just go to Laws of the Land, that's where the thread is from...

agent_c68
09-08-2004, 04:49 PM
she made a mistake and put the wrong link in.

skilletosis
09-08-2004, 05:12 PM
actualy I think something wierd is going on with the links on my end.. Laws of the Land is what I mean.... yes...

VGV Owner
09-09-2004, 05:02 AM
Well, I still think that you should be able to put banners in your sig, but what-ever.

agent_c68
09-09-2004, 10:44 AM
It's nothing personal, but banners can slowdown the boards. for those who have faster internet (like DSL or Broadband), the banners make little diffrence, but for those who are still using Dial-up connections, the boards become almost painfully slow. I'm glad that we don't have banners here, because some of them become distracting or are just annoying.

VGV Owner
09-09-2004, 11:49 AM
I have the slow connection, and bzpower.com was fine. And all 2300 members have banners there.

agent_c68
09-09-2004, 12:39 PM
What are your reasons on why we should allow banners?

VGV Owner
09-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Well, for number1, it kinda let's people know who you are.

2. I'm just used to them

3. It would be cool to have this nice banner of Skillet Rockin'

and more . . .

skilletosis
09-09-2004, 01:50 PM
why not just follow the Laws of the Land in respect to the boards and it's members. Seems that everyone else has been able to....

completely_nuts
09-09-2004, 03:40 PM
I would just like to take this opportunity to point out the fact that if you really want to put banners in your sig, you'll have to settle it with Will. arguing with 'tosis won't get you anywhere.

VGV Owner
09-09-2004, 04:40 PM
I'm not actually trying to get anywhere. If Will wants to read this, he can. I'm just curious why exactly we can't have avatars. I don't want to turn this place into an advertising adgency, I just think it's so cool. I have so many Skillet banners I have made, but they are useless here!

unshakeable15
09-09-2004, 08:32 PM
well, for one, yes, they are useless here. they would be useless here anyway. we all know that you like Skillet and think they rock. that's why you're on the boards.

and what Agent said is true. there are many people who have dial-up and it really does slow down the page load time if there are a lot banners. plus, it makes things more visually harsh (think Times Square with all it's flashing billboards and signs).

if you really want to show people who you are, you can use your signature and avatar. beyond that, tell them face-to-face (or screenname-to-screenname).

i'm gonna lock this thread since there's no longer any reason for it to be open. you've given your piece, we've given ours. don't want to make this a huge debate, so locked it will be. :)

will
09-14-2004, 01:35 PM
looks like I'm a little late to the party... sorry about that.

Well, for number1, it kinda let's people know who you are. i'm not really sure what you mean by this. I think user's profiles and their posts let you know who they are. If anything, a little banner in their signature simply let's you know one thing they like. A little communication can go a long in getting to know someone.

2. I'm just used to themI have never let the attitude of "because that's the way we've always done it" dictate policy, and don't intend to begin now.

3. It would be cool to have this nice banner of Skillet Rockin'I agree, it would be cool to have some Skillet banners... but a message board is not the place to display them, and certainly not Skillet's message boards. As was already pointed out, everyone here already knows about Skillet... why advertise to them? If you've got banners you would like to show off, I'd recommend putting them up on a website, and then linking that website in your profile if you so choose.

I'm just curious why exactly we can't have avatars.(you CAN have an avatar, but I know what you meant) We used to allow signature images, but it's been a pretty long time ago. We had problems of people posting incredibly large images (as in dimensions) as well as really large (as in file size) animated gifs. I think there was one that was over 2 MB at one time. if we allow images, then we have to deal with how large they can be, and people wanting us to make exceptions for them etc. it follows the old adage - "if you give a mouse a cookie, he'll want a glass of milk." Besides, this is a discussion board... extrenuous images between every post just makes everything more difficult to read.

(i'll open this back up for the time being in case there are any other comments / questions)

skynes
09-15-2004, 05:43 AM
I'm a part of other msgboards that deal with banners like this:

Only the first post per person per page will have a signature, future posts on the same page will have no sig shown.

In the same way that avatars are limited to so many pixels and such a size and such a file-type, banners could also be limited in the same way. Taking this path could also put a limit on the number of lines it can take up, including text.

It seems to work quite well there. I am aware that this path would require a fair bit of work especially in the programming area. Since these boards have already been up for quite a while, it'd just be a pain to have to go to all this trouble just for pics in signatures...

Personally though I don't care if banners work ot not. I'd like to use my 'Warrior of God' one but it's really not necessary. Most ppl know me just by my Samus avatar!

will
09-15-2004, 06:01 AM
Only the first post per person per page will have a signature, future posts on the same page will have no sig shown.

that's interesting... I've never seen a board like that. If we were to ever add sig images we might try something like that, but as you said it would likely require a fair amount of extra programming.

VGV Owner
09-15-2004, 11:21 AM
I tried to upload a banner in my personal Profile picture, but the deminsios were too big. The correct deminsions, for banners are as follows

250x100

468x60

will
09-16-2004, 07:22 AM
I tried to upload a banner in my personal Profile picture, but the deminsios were too big. The correct deminsions, for banners are as follows

250x100

468x60

avatars (the image beside all your posts) can be up to 75x75 pixels (up to 20KB) and profile pictures (seen when viewing someone's profile) can be up to 250x250 pixels (up to 100 KB).

VGV Owner
09-16-2004, 11:22 AM
I guess I have to start changing the sizes. "sigh"

VGV Head CP
09-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Hey Will, easy on the kid. When he said he was used to them, didn't mean "I've always done it this way", he just meant, that since he was around them for so long, he has created these awesome banner-making softwares(You should see them, even I'm impressed) and he has made so many for Panheads.org. I think he has about 76 Skillet Avatars. I don't even want to get close to banners. It takes up about 67 GB saved in Jpeg Format!!!!!

About loading, he is right. If you spend enough money to get a good server like the big boys do, you can have regular connections, and even be able to listen to background music without it going slow. So I don't think that some banners will slow them down. http://www.bzpower.com uses a similiar server, however, I'm unfamiliar with vBulletin so . . . it might not work.

completely_nuts
09-16-2004, 02:52 PM
I don't think will was being harsh on him at all. and none of the members really pay to be on PH.org, so financing a better server might be kind of hard. I don't know who pays for the server, but it would probably be pretty expensive for as many members as we have on here.
and, as a user with 24k dialup (and, I might add, no possibility of getting faster because I live in the middle of nowhere), I can say that the boards are slow enough, and even a couple animated banners per page would drive me insane. I also know of several other members with extraordinarily slow internet.

disciple
09-16-2004, 03:57 PM
I used to have it that slow, if I had to deal with that speed I'd have gone nuts.

No, Will wasn't being extremely harsh, in my opinion, but real. He addressed every statement that was made, which is what I would have done.

VGV Owner
09-16-2004, 04:33 PM
Sorry about that guys. Just because i'm younger, and he is the oldest, he kinda looks out for me.

I actually have the slowest connection available.

12,000 kbps

However, alex's is in the millions! So, he may be a little off. BZpower got a little slow, but that was only when about 400 members were online at the same time. So . . . he's right and wrong.

Mad_Cow
09-19-2004, 01:06 PM
just put a pick into every post if u relly whant to!

will
09-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Hey Will, easy on the kid. When he said he was used to them, didn't mean "I've always done it this way", he just meant, that since he was around them for so long, he has created these awesome banner-making softwares(You should see them, even I'm impressed) and he has made so many for Panheads.org. I think he has about 76 Skillet Avatars. I don't even want to get close to banners. It takes up about 67 GB saved in Jpeg Format!!!!!

About loading, he is right. If you spend enough money to get a good server like the big boys do, you can have regular connections, and even be able to listen to background music without it going slow. So I don't think that some banners will slow them down. http://www.bzpower.com uses a similiar server, however, I'm unfamiliar with vBulletin so . . . it might not work.Sorry about that guys. Just because i'm younger, and he is the oldest, he kinda looks out for me.

I actually have the slowest connection available.

12,000 kbps

However, alex's is in the millions! So, he may be a little off. BZpower got a little slow, but that was only when about 400 members were online at the same time. So . . . he's right and wrong.Due to numerous completely absurd comments both of you have made (assuming there really are two of you), it is quite clear to me that you haven't a clue about what you're saying. I find no real use in even addressing what you've said, and will simply reiterate that we won't be adding sig images because of reasons previously stated. I apologize if this or my previous post seemed harsh, but there is no point in providing further explanation as I would not expect you to really understand it.

-will

VGV Owner
09-20-2004, 01:57 PM
So I guess this will be closed?

will
09-20-2004, 09:13 PM
So I guess this will be closed?nope, not at this time. I don't like closing threads unless there is a real reason to (fighting, inappropriate subject, getting too far off topic, etc). Even though most all has been said that needs to be said, I'll leave the topic open in case somewhere down the road someone has something new to add. Otherwise, it will likely get cleaned out when we periodically delete old threads.

VGV Owner
09-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Well then, let me introduce you to my best friend/Newest member/ "Professional" Debator, Slyrocker.

Just wait for him though, becuase he stays busy in between classes.

terrasin
09-29-2004, 05:26 PM
This needs to stop now.

If there is a valid question, then ask it. But otherwise, going on about something that isn't going to change is useless. If you want banners for a sig, then open your own Skillet forums and do so. Being these are Wills forums, he makes the rules. If you don't like it, you can either deal with it, or you can leave. But the whining about it has to stop.

Secondly, I am member of several "big boy" forums that allow pictures in sigs and are a pain to surf on 56k because of it. It doesn't matter how fast their server is, if you have a 56k, you can still only recieve at a 56k connection. And frankly, there is nothing wrong with Wills server. In fact, apart from the little down time we had early his year because of moving or upgrades or what not, it's always a quick load up.

CJ

blindsidechic
09-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Can we use banners? How?

disciple
09-30-2004, 03:11 PM
No, we can't, but this is discussed here (http://www.panheads.org/boards/showthread.php?t=1969).

VGV Head CP
09-30-2004, 05:51 PM
You can put them in your Personal Profile, so Yes.

Mikhail
08-23-2006, 04:53 AM
I have a question. Why i can't upload animated gif-image for avatar?

disciple
08-23-2006, 08:07 PM
I've seen 'en used as avatars... maybe it's too big?

Mikhail
08-24-2006, 03:20 AM
wow i do this... yes... few days ago i try upload this image, and it's not working...

theelectric3
08-24-2006, 11:14 AM
will fixed it, so you should be able to.