skilletosis
11-16-2004, 09:22 AM
This is from the Autism Society of America's latest newsletter:

Online Sim Racing Event On Dec 11-12 To Benefit ASA

For those of you who don't know, the world of simulated (sim) racing is one of hottest trends going. Now, thanks to the kind folks at "racingbuds.net," ASA and the autism community will get a chance to experience and benefit from this phenomenon first-hand.

On December 11-12, 2004, Racingbuds will be hosting a charity event to benefit ASA. For a minimum donation of $15, online "drivers" will get a chance to race against one another in a bid to win a range of prices, such as two New York Giants tickets among many others. The race will be aired live on SRN TV.

We would like to extend a special thanks to the our friends at Racingbuds who set this campaign up to honor an adorable five-year-old boy named Warren, the son of one of the organizers.

If you've never tried simulated racing before, there's not time like the present. To learn more about this event, click here, or go to http://www.racingbuds.net/, and click on the icon for "Sim-Charity Race."

For those of you who don't already know I have a child that is autistic. In CA alone the number of children with autism related disabilities has risen about 187% in the last 10 years. This rate is considered to be of epidemic proportion. If you have any questions on autism we could always start up a thread on it and I would be happy to answer any questions that I can...

theelectric3
11-16-2004, 08:09 PM
that is really awesome that they are doing that to help. i admit, i don't know a lot about autism.

skilletosis
11-17-2004, 08:09 AM
and I don't know much about sim racing.. for those who do it's a great cause to support if you can.
I will say this tho for all of you who are entering college now and in the next couple of years. Think about a career in speech therapy, occupational therapy, adaptive P.E. coaching, and special education educator. It stands to reason that the the need for these professional is only going to grow along with the skyrocketing number of children with developmental disabilities grows. Out here in the desert they are about 10 behind in what they need to have for these kids.

skilltroks
11-17-2004, 02:06 PM
that is really awesome that they are doing that to help. i admit, i don't know a lot about autism.
Nither do I. Webster (http://webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=autism&x=2&y=16) has become a good friend of mine.