terrasin
11-23-2004, 02:24 AM
I got to thinking about this and I can only find advantages. Why not make the board registered users post only? This way we don't have some amount of accountability and also it will make them a bit more enthused about staying active.

And before everyone flies off about the prayer board, I understand there are some people here who would rather ask for it in secret without being known, which is why I think access on that forum should remain open for anyone to post in. What say you?

CJ

skelfy
11-23-2004, 01:41 PM
CJ hits the nail on the head once again. I agree completely. Why don't people just register?

skilletosis
11-23-2004, 01:55 PM
not that my opinion means anything, but... considering events of recent days I would have to agree....

skilltroks
11-23-2004, 03:50 PM
*rises hand and says in a baby bear voice* I agree.

completely_nuts
11-25-2004, 08:40 AM
I agree too. and it's a lot less confusing when there's not a ton of "unregistered" people popping in and out.

disciple
11-25-2004, 10:28 PM
All right.

I got thinking about this recently as well. The aforemntioned 'recent events' definitely played a part in this. I found the posts slightly disturbing and quite verily diruptive, let alone discouraging to those who sought out prayer. Thus, we reach what I am posting about.

I, too, thought Registered User Posts Only as a rule would be useful for blocking out spammers and such. The Unregistered Users being blocked from the General Forums sounds like a definite idea. If they're posting there, the most personal of forums, they should register. Same goes for Skillet-related Forums. If they are posting about an awesome show, they are definitely panheads and should join. If they are somehow inhibited from doing so, (I hate saying this, but) it's their problem.

The Help Desk should be left open for Unregistered Users in case someone needs help with their account if it's inaccessible. I know they could just E-Mail Will and whatnot, but how many people in trouble on this site have gone directly to doing so; how many have had no idea that that is what to do?

Mars Hill is a place that probably should be left to registered users.

Now here comes the toughest part: The Garden of Gethsemane. I have been thinking abou this. One of the aforementioned 'recent events' took place indeed even there. A lot of damage could be done there by someone who wants to put someone else down, religiously or not. Say someone posts up a message saying, "I want to kill myself right now, I have no reason to live," and an Unregistered, malignant person posts, "Go ahead and off yourself, you'd be doing the right thing. Rid us of your presence so we could live life happier." I would shudder to think of the effect.

Thus, I do not have a conclusion to the Garden. Otherwise, everywhere else except the Help Desk, Unregistered Users shouldn't be able to post, in my opinion. There isn't exactly a lot of use in it, and though the innocent Unregistered Users haven't done anything to upsetting in said forums, and them posting there is no harm, no foul, I believe action should be taken to prevent further incidents. Personally, the aforementioned incidents were totally apalling. I could recall what exactly the said posts were pertaining to if anyone needed, as I was here when at least a few posts were done. I don't think I have to, though.

In conclusion, I regret agreeing (on behalf of everyone but the perpertrator/s) to turn off Unregistered User Posting in most forums, though I warmly welcome any Skillet fans to join the forums. I, personally, didn't want it to come to this, but if it ends up having to be done, so be it.

-Andrew

amodman
11-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Panheads, the first forum I've ever been to that allows free reign to "guests". Posting, thread starting, the works in every sub-forum. So...it's seems logical enough to limit this. Though Mars Hill and Garden also seem logical choices to leave unregistered posting and thread starting...Honestly, sometimes, on tough issues, a certain amount of anonymity can be desired. Someone might want to open up about a situation, or, perhaps, speak their beliefs on a subject without being looked down upon or something. There MIGHT be abuses, and there MIGHT not. Who can say? But some people who want help or opinions do not always want their identity known...and that should be respected.

(p.s. yes, help desk needs to allow unregistered for sure as well.)

completely_nuts
11-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Well, no matter how much power you give to an unregistered user, some moron will find a way to abuse it. It's completely unavoidable. Yes, you can cut back on it by limiting the power given to an unregistered poster, but if you have any unregistered posting at all, then you're going to have some abuse of the power.

and I think I just repeated myself several times. sorry. ::]

will
12-06-2004, 07:13 PM
i really hate visiting a message board and then having to register to post the one question i have. Sometimes I'll create the account, never to return again, leaving behind an unused account. more often though I leave the forum disgusted with the policy of disallowing guest posting. yes, this is the policy of most forums on the net, and for some it is appropriate, but I don't believe this is one of them. I believe guests should have every right to post a simple and quick question without having to create an account if they don't want to. And if they want to continue posting as a guest, that's certainly their choice (though it is recommended they create an account). Unless things get TOO far out of hand, I will not force people to create accounts to post.

That being said... I am however changing the boards such that all guest posts must first be approved by a moderator. Since we don't have all that many guest posts, it won't be too much extra work for the mods, and it allows those who have a legitimate reason for guest posting to do so.

disciple
12-06-2004, 07:16 PM
That's a great idea. I forgot you could do that... ::] But good idea. :)

terrasin
12-09-2004, 01:04 AM
That sounds like a good medium to go by. Good on ya, Will! :>

CJ

skilletosis
12-09-2004, 09:13 AM
thanks Will....

mk kid
12-10-2004, 08:34 AM
I am trying to find a way to reach fellow panheads in Idaho I am a new member and i dont know how to do that?

terrasin
12-10-2004, 09:32 AM
If there is a show coming up in your area, post it in the live thread and see how many people are going.

CJ

cloroxmartini
12-10-2004, 11:06 AM
i know sometimes it's good to just post a questoin, but what about the others who just get on and act like it's actually a real account? not naming names of course...

mk kid
12-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Thanks, Terrasin i'll try that. undefined ;D

alorian
12-14-2004, 02:11 PM
I was just thinking about the whole registering users thing and the Garden, people want to be anonymous sometimes, is there some feature the mods could add to make the poster "Unknown" or something if they check a box?? Just a thought...

unshakeable15
12-14-2004, 04:35 PM
actually, unregistered posters are still allowed. except now they will need to be approved by a mod first. it might take a bit for us to get to that since in a separate part of the site that we don't always go to, but it's still doable. (i.e. don't post something anonymously if it needs to be timely)