agent_c68
12-04-2004, 01:56 PM
Recently, I've noticed that our youth group has been playing alot of dodgeball games. So I wanted to know of some more youth group games that would be fun to play. It would be good if some of the games were my "intelectually" based game rather then physical games (like dodgeball or CTF). The Jr. High group is usually around 20~30 kids. But we might split up into smaller groups in games for groups less than 10.

skilletosis
12-04-2004, 05:20 PM
My daughters group is going ice blocking right now....

loner_33
12-04-2004, 05:49 PM
My Youth Group doesn't play those kind of games... :( But we have fun worshipping God!

unshakeable15
12-04-2004, 10:38 PM
this is the exact opposite of an "intellectual" game, but one we're gonna play this wednesday is cool. :)

you have to girls on the backs of two guys. the guys each have an egg taped or somehow held onto their foreheads. the girls have to break the egg of the other guy, with a dead fish. ;) the girls can really get into this game, surprisingly.

i'll try to remember other games we've played and put 'em up here for ya.

amodman
12-04-2004, 10:40 PM
but you have to have girls willing to touch a dead fish/ride on a guy's back and guys who'll carry the girls on their backs...

agent_c68
12-05-2004, 11:16 AM
this is the exact opposite of an "intellectual" game, but one we're gonna play this wednesday is cool. :)

you have to girls on the backs of two guys. the guys each have an egg taped or somehow held onto their foreheads. the girls have to break the egg of the other guy, with a dead fish. ;) the girls can really get into this game, surprisingly.

i'll try to remember other games we've played and put 'em up here for ya.

That is by far the weirdest game i've ever heard of. the thing is that one of the leaders has a book of youth group games, but they are usually kind of gross (like the fish slapping game you mentioned), require several more players than our average attendance, or have weird or confusing rules.

(in case anyone was wondering, "intellectual" games are one where the person either has to think quickly or cleaverly to win.)

unshakeable15
12-12-2004, 09:20 PM
yeah, it's very weird. and it doesn't work so well when the fish you use is split down the belly, making it prone to breaking in half. :o

but, enough about that...

have you tried "Human Knot?" have everyone stand in a circle. then, each person must grab the hand of someone who's not standing next to them, usually aim for grabbing a hand from across the circle. then, you attempt to untangle yourselves. it can be really hard!

agent_c68
12-13-2004, 08:32 AM
have you tried "Human Knot?" have everyone stand in a circle. then, each person must grab the hand of someone who's not standing next to them, usually aim for grabbing a hand from across the circle. then, you attempt to untangle yourselves. it can be really hard!

I've heard of that one, one time we ended up with 2 circles from one knot. We might do that again sometime soon.

unshakeable15
12-13-2004, 12:16 PM
ok, i thought you might have. it's a pretty well-known game. i'll keep thinking tho. :)

skilletosis
12-14-2004, 09:16 AM
human knot would have been one that I wouldn't have participated in. I don't want to be that close to that many people that I don't know... somehow it doesn't seem to bother me to be up front at a concert tho....

unshakeable15
12-14-2004, 10:24 PM
oh, it can get a tad interesting when you're tangled with jr. highers, some of which don't yet realize the importance of daily showers or deodorant. ;) but it's still awesome. best way to love on kids is by touch, even if it's in a tangled up mess. :D

strangeblueangel
12-15-2004, 12:50 PM
I have one that we use to help build team work at CAP...

You start out in groups of 5-6. You get a number of paper plates (or other objects that can be stepped upon usually 6in sq) but one less than the number in your group. You place them in a line and attempt to get from the starting line to the goal (about 10 - 15 feet) with at least one person always on a plate. You have to figure out how to get everyone across the line and how to get the plate across the line without 'losing' it. If anyone touches the ground instead of the plate or teammate the whole team starts over again. Also if a plate is left without a foot or hand touching it you have to start over. The first team with all members and plates to the goal wins...
It's one of my favorite games to play because we always have a new way to do it. Plus you really get to know the people you work with.

amodman
12-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Clump was a classic back in my youh group. Especially Extreme Clump! (anything goes!) Clump's the game where everyone has to mill about and someone calls out a number and everyone has to get in groups of that particular number, and whoever isn't grouped gets out. Like if there's 10 people there can only be 3 groups of 3. Though this game can get violent...in a fun way :evil:. One time my older cousin (youth helper at the time) literally grabbed my skinny little friend's arm and threw him over her shoulder because she was so worked up!

More mindless violence - Amazon Women - The guys hold on to each other and the girls try and pry them apart!

strangeblueangel
12-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Lol...I think we have to try that one...

agent_c68
12-15-2004, 03:14 PM
More mindless violence - Amazon Women - The guys hold on to each other and the girls try and pry them apart!

Been there, done that, been stuck to a guy who hadn't learned about Deoderant yet...

We also did this in a mud pit once, very interesting...

amodman
12-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Been there, done that, been stuck to a guy who hadn't learned about Deoderant yet...

We also did this in a mud pit once, very interesting...
ever tried it with 4 guys and 10+ girls? ya...

bobbi
12-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Here's a game:
I think it's called electricity...you split into 2 groups. Each group sits down across from the other group in a line. (<parallel) Everyone on the team holds hands. There is 2 judges. One judge has to flip a coin at one side of the 2 lines. the other watches the object at the other side. The coin flipping judge flips the coin. 1 person on each team watches the coin. If it is tails, you don't do anything. If it is heads, you squeese (sp?) the hands down the line all the way to the object. The last person grabs the object when they feel their hand squeesed. the first team to grab the object rotates, and the first team to get all the way around wins. Idk if that makes sense or if I've totally confused you, haha.

undecided
12-15-2004, 07:42 PM
That game is really fun we used to play it all the time. Now another game that Iused to play I dont know the name of it but you divide your group into two even teams. Then they stand across the room from each other facing each other. you give each person a number on one team then the opposite person on the other end of the line on other team the same number. So say you have 10 people the first peoson is 1 and the second is two and so on, then on the other side the first person is 10 and the second one is nine. so on opposite teams the people in the corners diagnal each other have the same number, I hope that makes sense. Then in the middle between the two teams you have an object like a stuffed animal and the leader calls out a number and the two people with the nuimber run into the middle and try to grab the object. Now when they grab the object they have to run back to their team before the other person touches them. As soon as they get back to their team without being touched they get a point. If they are touched the other team gets a point. Now the two people can not touch each other if no one has touched the animal in the middle but as soon as one person touches the animal they have to take it, they can not drop it and pick it back up. I hope that made sense.

skilltroks
12-16-2004, 12:14 PM
One game we played was we all got on a king sized blanket.. and we had to flip the blanket over. Another game we played was hack the sack. It got a little violent tho. And last night we played wrestled.

unshakeable15
12-18-2004, 02:40 PM
ok, thought of another one that's a favorite in my group. it's called "Who sir, I sir?"

everyone's in a circle, sitting in chairs, numbered 1-however.many.there.are. one person (a leader works best, especially if they can keep a drill-sergeant face) is in the middle, moderating. they are looking for a hat that someone supposedly stole. they accuse someone in the circle (#2). billy then proceeds with the dialogue that looks like this.
M:"#2, you stole the hat."
2:"who sir, i sir?"
M:"yes sir, you sir."
2:"certainly not i sir."
M:"well then who sir."
2:"it was #13."

13 must then stand up before the moderator in the middle finishes saying "#13 you stole the hat; go to the end of the line." (they must say it fast, otherwise it's not fun). if they stand up and say "who sir, i sir?" fast enough, they can proceed. if they don't, they go to the last seat in line, next #1.

the goal is to get to the #1 position. the game can go on as long as you like.

Chad
04-12-2006, 07:01 AM
Last week we did a "Fear Factor" theme. The kids loved it. I went out and bought a carton of night crawlers beforehand. I had already blended up cookies, milk, chocolate, and gummy worms before the kids got there to make it look like I blended up real worms. Then when I showed them what they were going to eat, I pulled out the night crawlers (still in the container) to make them think I blended up real worms. I only had 2 volunteers to drink two cups of it. The first to finish their cups won.

Next I asked for four volunteers who liked orange smoothies. After they came up on stage, I asked if anyone in the audience had any socks that we could use. (Beforehand I planted 4 CLEAN socks with holes in the toes in the audience. I gave them to two kids and didn't tell anyone else.) The two kids I gave the socks to, tossed them to me. I then made an orange smoothie and put some of it in each sock. The volunteers had to drink the smoothie out of the hole in the sock. Whoever finished first won.

For the third event, I asked for 3 or 4 volunteers and told them they had to drink old rotten milk. Beforehand my wife took a half gallon of milk (that we just bought) and poured in a carton of cottage cheese. So when I poured out the milk many chunks came out and it looked rotten. The first person to finish their cup won.

For the last event, I asked for 4 volunteers who liked ice cream. They had to eat a little bit of ice cream out of one of my old athletic shoes. Obviously, I washed them beforehand so the shoes were clean. The first person to finish their ice cream won.

Another game we're going to play in the future is spoons. But instead of placing the spoons in the center of the table we hide them either throughout the church or outside. So when it's time to grab a spoon they all have to run around trying to find one. It can get pretty rowdy.

Sorry this is so long. I've got other games if anyone is interested.

pizza brain
04-12-2006, 02:40 PM
cool games. Do you mind if I give that to my youth pastor?

TheFireBreathes
04-19-2006, 10:14 AM
So we just did a scavenger hunt last saturday. that was pretty crazy.
Here were the things we had to find:
-TP signed by someone in the bathroom
-Roadkill
-A sketching of the dates from a tombstone (we had to sneak into a cemetary to get one)
-a text messege from a band member
-a band flyer signed by the band (uncle kracker happend to be at sam goody)
-an article of clothing signed by a worker
-a burger king ketchup packet signed
-a chick-fil-a mayonnaise packet signed
-a burger king crown with all the members signed
ahh i can remember the est but scavenger hunts are always fun if the leasers have cars.

I Bite
04-20-2006, 03:56 AM
Swat is a really fun game.

You need:
1. rolled up newspaper(or anything else that might work as one)
2. chairs for as many people that are playing, minus one.

What you do:

The person that doesn't have a chair is "it". They take the rolled up newspaper and stand in the middle of the circle. You start the game by someone saying another persons name(that is in the circle). The guy in the middle heads toward that person and tries to swat them with the newspaper. The person that the guy is heading towards will (try to) call out another name--before he gets swatted. If the guy manages to swat the person before he calls out another name, they switch places. It's kind of fast pace, but it's really fun, and there are things you can change around to make it more challenging, like everybody has to say last names, or making it so that you can't say the persons name that said yours, that type of thing..

Anyways, reaaaaaaallllyy fun.