disciple
12-08-2004, 08:32 PM
All right, I have been meaning to make a decent thread in the Arcade that didn't already exist for a long time, now. And I have looked in the Arcade forum and have not found a thread like this. I think it's an interesting idea.

The idea is to post your Top 5 favorite games for each genre, and your Official Top 10. No, it doesn't have to be all in one post, for those of you who have better things to do. :P

PC Games will be a different genre in this thread for those who are more adaptive to PC Games, but the rest of the genres include PC Games.

You know the genres, don't you? First-Person Shooter, Platformer, Fighting, Sports, Side-Scrolling Shooters you get the crux.

There are also other, more genres that can be included: Ones for specific consoles (from NES to PS2), Best Soundtrack... and you can include others if I missed anything (I'm sure I did), but don't bull around with the genres. I can't think of much else right now. Savvy? Good.

MY TOP 5 FIGHTING GAMES

1. Soul Calibur II (GC)
2. Super Smash Brothers Melee (GC)
3. Tekken 4 (PS2)
4. Tekken Tag Tournament (PS2)
5. Killer Instinct (SNES)

No, I haven't played many Fighting games. :P Now, what kind of genre would Diablo be in? :evil:

amodman
12-08-2004, 08:34 PM
No, I haven't played many Fighting games. :P Now, what kind of genre would Diablo be in? :evil:

rpg :p. It may be a hack n' slash rpg, but it's still considered an rpg. Forget D, anyway, I'd rather play D2...and even then, that game's a classic, but it is old.

disciple
12-08-2004, 08:36 PM
rpg :p. It may be a hack n' slash rpg, but it's still considered an rpg. Forget D, anyway, I'd rather play D2...and even then, that game's a classic, but it is old.
I just wanted to make sure. I knew you'd pick up well to this thread. ;)

I haven't played D2. :( My computer sucks. Besides, I still love D...

Aaaaaanyway, let's not lose the topic right off the bat. :evil:

animeraven34
12-08-2004, 10:02 PM
Heh heh. I like this thread already.

My Top 5 FPS Games:

1) Perfect Dark. 8) All around awesome game, near perfect IMO (pun intended ;D). The gameplay, the graphics (at the time), the plot was original, and they gave equal condsideration to both single player and multiplayer.
2) Halo. Not quite as good as PD, but I still say it's better than Halo 2. Good old fashioned slam bang, run n gun action. :evil:
3) Half Life. Do I really need to explain this one? ;D
4) DOOM. THE FPS. If it wasn't for DOOM there would be no PD, no Half Life, no Halo. Sad thing is I'm more than old enough to remember when it came out, and all the controversy it caused. ::]
5) GoldenEye 007. The precursor to PD. The orignal N64 FPS. Easy to get used too, fun to play. What more could you want? ;D

disciple
12-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Heh heh. I like this thread already.
Yep, yep, yep... I thought you would. ;D

amodman
12-08-2004, 11:18 PM
I just wanted to make sure. I knew you'd pick up well to this thread. ;)

I haven't played D2. :( My computer sucks. Besides, I still love D...

Aaaaaanyway, let's not lose the topic right off the bat. :evil:

My old computer was a 533mhz beast! with all of 256mb ram and a crappy vid card...and it played D2 fine :P.

disciple
12-08-2004, 11:28 PM
My old computer was a 533mhz beast! with all of 256mb ram and a crappy vid card...and it played D2 fine :P.
Was yours a Gateway Windows Millenium Edition that's used with less than half of its memory capabilities (less than 6 GB)? ::]

amodman
12-08-2004, 11:36 PM
No, it was an old hewlett packard that had pretty much maxed out its 9.5 GB hd.

disciple
12-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Haha! Yeah, well anyway mine only had half of its capability because the previous owner plugged it directly into the wall and fried half of the hard drive during a power outage. What an idiot he was, obviously. :P

amodman
12-08-2004, 11:40 PM
I still bet if you tried you could play D2...and DOA3/DOA:Ultimate is/are the best fighting games - to me.

disciple
12-08-2004, 11:48 PM
I still bet if you tried you could play D2...and DOA3/DOA:Ultimate is/are the best fighting games - to me.
I'll tell ya what. I'll try to install DOOM II on my computer, see how that works. Then I'll look into PC gaming if it works. :)

TOP 5 RPG GAMES:

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Diablo (PS)
3. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
4. Final Fantasy VIII (PS)
5. RPG Maker (PS)

Frankly, I had to add two onto that list because the only good RPGs I have played are on the Top 3. :-\

amodman
12-08-2004, 11:50 PM
I'll tell ya what. I'll try to install DOOM II on my computer, see how that works. Then I'll look into PC gaming if it works. :)

TOP 5 RPG GAMES:

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Diablo (PS)
4. Final Fantasy VIII (PS)
5. RPG Maker (PS)

Frankly, I had to add two onto that list because the only good RPGs I have played are on the Top 3. :-\

you needa play more rpg's :P. At least KOTOR, superstar saga, and star ocean!

disciple
12-08-2004, 11:51 PM
you needa play more rpg's :P. At least KOTOR, superstar saga, and star ocean!
I want KOTOR I and II so badly, you have no idea. :'(

amodman
12-08-2004, 11:53 PM
I want KOTOR I and II so badly, you have no idea. :'(
And you CLAIM not to like rpg's! That's it, I prescribe the above 3 mentioned games to you and heavy doses of D2 and World of Warcraft! Stat! Also, a new computer...

disciple
12-08-2004, 11:58 PM
And you CLAIM not to like rpg's! That's it, I prescribe the above 3 mentioned games to you and heavy doses of D2 and World of Warcraft! Stat! Also, a new computer...
I didn't say I don't like RPGs! I love RPGs... sadly, my entrance into RPGs was through Pokémon... actually, the original wasn't too bad... stupid Americanization and Japanese Pop Culture...

Oh boy. You had better find a way for me to get those before I start playing those games again. ;)

amodman
12-08-2004, 11:59 PM
I didn't say I don't like RPGs! I love RPGs... sadly, my entrance into RPGs was through Pokémon... actually, the original wasn't too bad... stupid Americanization and Japanese Pop Culture...

Oh boy. You had better find a way for me to get those before I start playing those games again. ;)

Lol, I actually did enjoy that first pokemon game...it was a rather intuitive rpg, if lacking in story and...well...goodness. Though 100's of re-issue of the SAME FREAKING GAME can get VERY old, especially when the source material wasn't that great anyway ::] .

disciple
12-09-2004, 12:04 AM
Lol, I actually did enjoy that first pokemon game...it was a rather intuitive rpg, if lacking in story and...well...goodness. Though 100's of re-issue of the SAME FREAKING GAME can get VERY old, especially when the source material wasn't that great anyway ::] .
You're right... time to change that list...

TOP 5 FAVORITE RPG GAMES:

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Diablo (PS)
4. Pokémon Blue (GB)
5. Pokémon Red (GB)

amodman
12-09-2004, 12:06 AM
I will kill you...

disciple
12-09-2004, 12:11 AM
What did I do now? ::]

TOP 5 FAVORITE SPORTS GAMES:

1. Mario Golf (N64)
2. Mario Tennis (N64)
3. Madden 2003 (PS2)
4. NFL Street (PS2)
5. Mario Tennis (GBC)

:evil: :D

amodman
12-09-2004, 12:15 AM
you put pokemon on a 'good' top 5 list...for that, you must die!

TOP 5 RPG's (after much debating)
1. KOTOR
2. Star Ocean: The Second Story
3. Chrono Trigger
4. FF7
5. 3-way-tie of Morrowind, Zelda (SNES), and Super Star Saga < I love that game!

[choices prone to change at any given moment and move anywhere on and off of my list ;)]

disciple
12-09-2004, 12:17 AM
LOL! Well, what other choice did I have? ;)

I consider the Zelda games Platformers.

amodman
12-09-2004, 12:18 AM
Zelda is SO an rpg. Just cause you don't go into battle-mode doesn't mean it's not. The Diablo games are platformers WAY vefore the zelda games are :P. You may not know this about me, but I'm a gamer. Games are one of my "passions".

disciple
12-09-2004, 12:21 AM
:| I'm a gamer too. Games are an utter passion of mine.

I don't consider Zelda an RPG because there are no number involved, and there's way more a focus on swordsmanship in Zelda than in the Diablo games. The Diablo games have number crunching... a lot... :P

amodman
12-09-2004, 12:23 AM
Pfft, zelda is a "real-time" rpg, combing action with rpg elements. Zelda has more elements that place it in the realm of rpg's than does Diablo.

NBKnMO
12-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Alright, I'll try. But it'll be hard for me. :)

TOP FIVE STRATEGRY (real-time and otherwise)

1.) Starcraft -- hooked me in like crazy and didn't let go for ages. And I love the setting and set up they have -- gives them nigh infinite freedom, and it all makes sense.
2.) Warcraft III -- takes everything that's cool about Starcraft and makes it better. I just like SC's setting better. :)
3.) Advance Wars 1/2 -- great games on GBA. If you haven't played 'em, you should.
4.) Civilization II -- the depth in this game is staggering, and it's sickeningly addictive.
5.) Command & Conquer: Red Alert -- this game's in here mainly for nostalgia's sake, but I have a lot of fond memories with this game. It was my first Real Time Strategy.

And since someone already did First Person Shooters, I just want to say that Half-Life 2 is an amazing game. If you have the means, play it. The game is so good it makes other stuff feel primitive. Heck, it made Halo 2 feel old (not by much, though), and Halo 2's only a week older than HL2. Half-Life 2 just blows my mind how good it is. I can't really express how cool I think this game is. It's an absolute blast.

Just thought I'd say. :)

animeraven34
12-09-2004, 02:43 AM
My Top 5 Side Scrollers:

1) Metroid
2) Metroid Fusion
3) Mega Man 6
4) Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
5) Sonic & Knuckles

My Top 5 RPG's (maybe, I haven't played many that I remember):

1) KOTOR. Well, DUH!
2) Phantasy Star Online Ep. 1 & 2. Actual real-time combat RPG. Hopelessly addicting. 'Nuff said.
3) Final Fantasy X. Don't know why I like it so much, I just do.
4) Fable. Gorgeous game! Almost total freedom. Would be a whole lot better if they made the darn thing longer.

loner_33
12-09-2004, 02:44 PM

Pokemon? That was a phase that passed quickly for me. What got me into RPG's was Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. I still play that game every now and then.

Top 5 FPS's:

1.Perfect Dark
2.Half-Life (and/or Counter-Strike mod)
3.Timesplitters 2 (every time I play this game with friends it ends up being a real-life brawl ;D )
4.Halo or Halo 2
5.Unreal Tournament 2004

If I could put 6, it would be Goldeneye 007, because that game introduced me to FPS's...

Top 5 RPG's:

1.KOTOR
2.Kingdom Hearts (don't know why, I just love it!)
3.Chrono Cross (I never got to play Chrono Trigger and won't until I have the nerve, and the money, to order off Ebay)
4.Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
5.Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 and 2 (It was a toss-up between Golden Sun and this and I chose this because I have 500+ hours on PSO and only 100 or so with Golden Sun)

Top 5 Platformers//Action/Adventure's:

1.GTA 3 (I refuse to buy Vice City and San Andreas... stupid strip clubs ruined a good game. >:( )
2.The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3.Super Mario 64
4.Ratchet and Clank Series
5.Some other Legend of Zelda game (Wind Waker, just plain "Legend of Zelda," I can't decide...)

Top 5 Strategy's:

1.Starcraft
2.Age of Empires II (only because the games my friends and I play last for several days, and normally total about 20 hours)
3.Empire Earth
4.Fire Emblem
5.Advance Wars (2? Both similar, but 2 is just an update... not much new...)

The categories aren't in any order .

disciple
12-09-2004, 02:50 PM
What got me into RPG's was Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.
True. Same for me, the days just seem to blend together. :-\ But I love SMRPG:LotSS. It's fun. A lot.
3.Chrono Cross (I never got to play Chrono Trigger and won't until I have the nerve, and the money, to order off Ebay)
I found that game absolutely abysmal. Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross cannot be in the same room together for fear that Chrono Cross would quickly self-destruct.

loner_33
12-09-2004, 02:53 PM
I found that game absolutely abysmal. Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross cannot be in the same room together for fear that Chrono Cross would quickly self-destruct.

...Only 'cause you probably didn't understand the plot. ::]
...Or something...

disciple
12-09-2004, 02:58 PM
...Only 'cause you probably didn't understand the plot. ::]
...Or something...
...Or something. I got the plot all right. I just thought that the gameplay was horrible (I LOVE ONLY BEING ABLE TO USE ONE MAGIC SPELL ONCE IN BATTLE! WOW! ::]); the story AND the world it was in had nothing to do with the original Chrono game.

Chrono Cross had nothing to do with Chrono Trigger, plain and simple. It's not a sequel, it's a knock-off.

*gets off soapbox*

Oh, yeah, and if it sounds like I'm about to snap, it's 'cause I only have 4 hours of sleep in me. ;D

loner_33
12-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Well, considering I never played Chrono Trigger, I wouldn't know if it was a knock-off or not.

That said, I can't find KH:CoM ANYWHERE!!! Where is it!? I've been following KH since I finished the first one... You can't deny the storytelling!

amodman
12-11-2004, 12:51 AM
I usually identify an acronym of a game immediately...but I'm having a little trouble placing "KH". So...uh...what the heck are you talking about? Also, now now Disciple Chrono Cross wasn't a HORRIBLE game. Granted, not a sequel, granted, annoying battle system, but still an alright game...but then agian I'm the rpg nut! Also, loner, I hate it when people say "You just don't like it cause you don't understand it!" ::], nothing personal, but it's just annoying...

loner_33
12-11-2004, 07:09 AM
KH = Kingdom Hearts.

Also, loner, I hate it when people say "You just don't like it cause you don't understand it!" , nothing personal, but it's just annoying...

Yeah, I said that because I couldn't think of a reason not to like Chrono Cross. Just a friendly insult. :P

disciple
12-11-2004, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I said that because I couldn't think of a reason not to like Chrono Cross. Just a friendly insult. :P
I'd hate to see a not friendly one from you. ;) :P

amodman
12-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Yes, kingdom hearts...must be because I don't play those games it didn't click :P.

loner_33
12-14-2004, 06:12 PM
I'd hate to see a not friendly one from you. ;) :P

If it wasn't friendly, you'd never be able to tell. ;)

disciple
12-14-2004, 06:14 PM
If it wasn't friendly, you'd never be able to tell. ;)
Oh really? What makes you say that? ;D :D :P ;)

loner_33
12-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Aha! See? I was serious that time! And admit it: you didn't know it! :P

disciple
12-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Aha! See? I was serious that time! And admit it: you didn't know it! :P
Nope, I knew. :D

loner_33
12-14-2004, 06:31 PM
We're off topic. ::]

Top 5 games I'd like to have for Christmas:

1. Half-life 2
2. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
3. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
4. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
5. Super Mario 64 DS

cloroxmartini
12-14-2004, 07:07 PM
best rpg: kotor
best fps: halo 2 and ghost recon
best rts: c & c red alert 2

that's all i can think of right now

would stealth be considered a genre? of so, i'd def pick splinter cell for that catagory. :)

brandon_p23
12-15-2004, 07:19 AM
Top five video games (in no particular order):
1. NHL Rock The Rink-This hockey game is by far the funnest(is < a word?) game around, especially when Chris Berman yells "BONUS!!!!"
2. WWF Smackdown-Back in the day when I was addicted to WWF, this is the game that I played for hours on end!
3. Run Like H**L-A lot of swear words in it, but awesome gameplay and cool music from Breaking Benjamin in it.
4. NASCAR Chase For The Cup 2005-Very complex racing game, as it evolves around a schedule. Get too busy and you loose races and standings. Very fun for the racing game enthusiasts.
5. NBA Street Vol. 2-Very fun game in which they pick your "street name". Mine was UFO. lol

cloroxmartini
12-16-2004, 12:19 PM
best five games
1. kotor
2. kotor 2
3. splinter cell
4. ghost recon
5. halo 2

Nedarbi
01-13-2005, 09:04 PM
for everyone. how about top game types. not like fps or rpg. i mean like star wars, world war II games, war games, si fi, future games, stuff like that.???

my top game type would be star wars.

fav game ever would have to be NHL 99 for nintendo 64( too many good memories) 8)

zeo4500
01-26-2005, 05:02 PM
my all time favorite games are the zelda serise, which is awsome.

aliensoul_squire20
01-26-2005, 05:09 PM
ummmmmmmmmmmm................. this doesn't really belong in the music section, more like general discussion...........

Anywho, mine'd either be the Sonic series, or Metroid.