aliensoul_squire20
01-24-2004, 06:18 PM
Howdy. (no i am not from texas) I'm new to Mars Hill, I'm a resident of Music Buzz. Anywho, this topic is to give your favorite bible verse(s), give the reference and what it says, and talk about why it's your favorite.

My favorite Bible verse is Joshua 1:9 (NIV)- "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord you God will be with you wherever you go."

I like this verse because, when I repeat it in my mind, it gives me the strength to go through with tough things and to assure me that God is with me to protect me. A way that can remind me easier is the necklace I got at a Christian book store with a pewter shield with this verse on the back (but i lost it :'(). I wrote a song called Worldwide Battle, about how we're all in the war between God and the devil. It's pretty much saying that we have to stop building up defenses and sitting around and get up, be offensive, and go to the battle. It also says that your Bible is your sword and your faith is your armor.

Speaking of the Bible being your sword, I also like Ephesians 6:17- Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

bu-bye!

weebird20
01-25-2004, 03:55 AM
hmmmmmm.......favorite Bible verses.......its soooo hard to choose just one.........

I've always liked:

1 Corinthians 13 v4-7
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

It's just one of those verses that just reading it puts a smile on your face :)

Proverbs 16 v3
Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.

Something that always encourages me when im a little worried about things.

Galatians 6 v9
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

This is a great verse when im feeling a little down and asking why should i keep doing the things im doing because i dont see instant results......God works everything out in his own time.

I have lots more and they change and become more all the time.....

terrasin
01-25-2004, 09:19 AM
Luke 9:62

unshakeable15
01-25-2004, 02:34 PM
you forgot to explain yourself TS (altho, knowing you, i think i know the reason. but still, not everyone does). ;)

mine is 2 Corinthians 4.7 "For we hold these treasures in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is of God & not from us."

i've loved this verse for a long time. it just speaks to me that it's not about us. within these frail jars we call 'self,' we hold God's power. this life we live, this second life, points to God's power not our own. i love that.

simchat_torah
01-27-2004, 07:43 PM
See my signature.

skilletosis
01-28-2004, 04:26 PM
what is the translation of what was just above your signature?... did ya think I wouldn't notice...lololol

couturegurl1225
01-30-2004, 02:16 PM
hey mine is Psalms 18! it like talks about how when we cry for help how God comes quickly and how smoke flares drom His nostrils its awsome!

aliensoul_squire20
01-31-2004, 05:39 PM
Note: I asked for what the verse says and why you like it.

TerraSin, please put what the verse says and why you like it if you read this. And tecki, please put the words to the verse.

~Thank you.

agent_c68
01-31-2004, 09:39 PM
1 Tim. 6:12
Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

We are called to fight the good fight of the faith (spiritual warfare could be a interpretation). doesn't that seem to be a call to action, a call to stand up to spiritual situations and fight (weather it be prayer, scripture, or what ever...). But where do we find the strength to fight the good fight of the faith?...

Ephesians 6:10-20
10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes...

Those are a few of my favorite verses, I have a few others for diffrent situations, but these are the ones that I feel closest to at this time.

whereami
03-03-2004, 04:21 AM
oh dang, i always forget where the verse is but i like
"I can do all things through Christ whis trengthens me"

you hear it alot, but its realy a great verse for just gettin through everyday life. school, work or whatever, i recite it to myself al the time and it helps

btw, can some smart person please tell whe where this verse is, ive been trying to find it forever

gv_reese_a_chance
03-03-2004, 05:59 AM
phillipians 4:13

favorite vs.....there so many good ones to choose from. well, i like the one in my sig. i love the whole book of ecclesiastes. i also love Psalm 51. The whole chapters good. talk about portair of an apology. specifically though, 16-17. "You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." i love how its saying forget about ritualism. that has its place, but first u have to be broken inside.

skilletmonkey
03-03-2004, 07:53 AM
My favorite verses seem to change over time, depending on what I'm going through. Right now my absolute favorite is Isaiah 50:10

"Let him who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the Lord and rely on his God."

I'm struggling a lot with the darkness of life I guess you could say, and this verse just reminds me to trust God 'cuz "God is faithful" - 1 Cor. 10:13

weebird20
03-03-2004, 11:16 AM
hey whereami i kno that verse, its one of my favourites too :) its......

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

some more verse i love.....

Psalm 28:7
The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.

Psalm 56:3-4
When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word i praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?

Psalm 118:14
The Lord is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation.

I've just but going thru some tough times at work and these verses seem to really help me :) Even thru hard times God is always there to provide all the strength we need!!!!

alorian
03-03-2004, 11:41 AM
i like the one in my sig

whereami
03-04-2004, 05:00 AM
phillipians 4:13
thank you! for some reason i kept thinking it was philipians 3:13

Penyu
03-04-2004, 03:24 PM
"For me, to live is Christ, to die is gain."
Philipians 1:21

Me and my body (I call him my brother) are gonna get this tatooed on our backs.

aliensoul_squire20
03-05-2004, 06:16 AM
Wow, I haven't been on here in a while. It's great to see people are posting 8)

firestarter4u101
03-08-2004, 04:18 PM
alright, mine is
Hebrews 13:5 He Will Never Leave You, He Will Never Forsake You

i bought a wrist band from Hot Topic and carved this verse in, it is an awesome verse to help me when I need it and I tell all my friends about this verse. I encourage you to remember this verse when you're in times of thinking that he isnt there for you ;D

skilltroks
03-08-2004, 05:12 PM
Romans 12.21 NLV dont let evil get the best of you but conquer envil by doing good. and my pastor mentioned this verse on Sunday: he said it in NIV but in NLV its romans 5.3. we can rejoice too wgeb we run into problems that they are good for us they help us endure.

aliensoul_squire20
03-08-2004, 06:41 PM
Some principles needed to be remembered, and shown in this post w/ verses.

Basically, this post will cover my Sunday School class's lessons over the past few weeks. These verses are ones I really like, and it's all about the "Grace of Giving" and how everything is His.(I'm not going to tell what these verses say because there's a lot to type if i did)

I.)God is owner of ALL thing- Psalm 50:10-12
A.) He owns by 3 rights: 1.) Creator- Genesis 1:1, John 1:1-3 2.) Priority, He was before all things- Psalm 90: 2 3.) Supremacy- Psalm 10:16, 47:2 & 47:7-10

B.) He has never relinquished that right of ownership- Note the reservation He makes in the following- Genesis 2:15-17, 9:1-7, 17:5-8, Leviticus 17:11, &25:23

II.) As Christians, we belong to God.
A.) By Natural creation- Job 33:4

B.) By recreation (rebirht)- 2 Corinthians 5:17

C.) By redemption- 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

III.)God has made provisions for us to acknowledge His ownership
A.) By returning a tenth of our increase to Him- Leviticus 27:30, 1 Corinthians 9:12-14, 16:1-2, & Matthew 23:23

B.) Free Will (offerings above the tenth)- 2 Corinthians 9:6-7

C.) He has promised upon the ones who honor Himin their giving- Proverbs 3:9-10, Malachi 3:8-10

see? lots of typing, and that would've given me a typing cramp.
These verses basically help me to remember that everything belongs to God, and that he's letting us, in a way, borrow it. Also, that God loves it when we give to him willingly and cheerfully, and that we sholdn't do it out of a feeling of duty.

Dennis
03-08-2004, 11:17 PM
I have a few here but it's a bit difficult because the books have other names in English :(
================================
Psalm 24(?)
1 <<To the chief Musician for the sons of Korah, A Song upon Alamoth.>> God [is] our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
3 [Though] the waters thereof roar [and] be troubled, [though] the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.
4 [There is] a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy [place] of the tabernacles of the most High.
5 God [is] in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, [and that] right early.
6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.
7 The LORD of hosts [is] with us; the God of Jacob [is] our refuge. Selah.
8 Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.
9 He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.
10 Be still, and know that I [am] God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
11 The LORD of hosts [is] with us; the God of Jacob [is] our refuge. Selah.
==================================
Psalm 121
1 <<A Song of degrees.>> I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
2 My help [cometh] from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.
3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The LORD [is] thy keeper: the LORD [is] thy shade upon thy right hand.
6 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
7 The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
8 The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.
=============================================
Matheus 6(I have no idea what the english name is :-\ )
24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, [shall he] not much more [clothe] you, O ye of little faith?
31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day [is] the evil thereof.

unshakeable15
03-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Matheus 6(I have no idea what the english name is :-\ )
it's Matthew. ;)

Dennis
03-11-2004, 03:13 AM
:D Thank you!

thalia
03-14-2004, 10:36 AM
I love all of the Psalms. They are just so beautiful and poetic!!!!! I especially LOVE Psalm 139! It's one of my all time fav Bible verses! ;D

jesuslover
03-15-2004, 08:18 PM
hebrews13:5-6

" Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you."

So we say with confidence,

The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
what can man do to me?"

Penyu
03-16-2004, 07:58 AM
You know what's weird about the Psalms is that, even though they're are poetry, they're not really like our form of poetry. In our poetry we utilize a specific word, and play off of it. In Hebrew poetry, they take one concept and the contrast it with another. Basically the stanzas are going to be even, because the first stanza is the concept, the second is the resolve. I think that's way more poetic than this beatnick stuff that we do.

aliensoul_squire20
03-16-2004, 01:28 PM
You know what's weird about the Psalms is that, even though they're are poetry, they're not really like our form of poetry. In our poetry we utilize a specific word, and play off of it. In Hebrew poetry, they take one concept and the contrast it with another. Basically the stanzas are going to be even, because the first stanza is the concept, the second is the resolve. I think that's way more poetic than this beatnick stuff that we do.

**Nods in agreement** My thoughts exactly 8)

Penyu
03-17-2004, 08:17 AM
I'm glad you aggree. (i.e. actually thinking aliensoul_squire20 is a conformist)

I keed!

aliensoul_squire20
03-19-2004, 09:03 PM
I'm glad you aggree. (i.e. actually thinking aliensoul_squire20 is a conformist)

I keed!

Ummm.......... conformist? meaning? (I have never heard that word before....)

firestarter4u101
03-20-2004, 01:08 PM
this was really awesome..
God had spoke to me to read this verse, since my parents may get a divorce i am very angry at my dad cause it is his fault for what he is doing, and God told me to read this verse..

Colossians 3: 12-14

Therefore, as Gods chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

Penyu
03-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Ummm.......... conformist? meaning? (I have never heard that word before....)

I was just joking dude. I was just saying that it sounded like you were aggreeing to be "cool", which I knew you weren't, I was just telling a joke, but they're always really bad on the net.
Sorry about the miscommunication. ;)

covrin
03-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Heb 12:20-21
(slightly paraphrased)
Now may the God of peace who raised the Christ from the dead.
Great Shepherd of sheep
through the very blood of the everlasting covenant.
Make me complete in every work
to do Your will pleasing in Your sight
through the Christ
to whom be the glory
forever and ever.
Amen.

This verse helps get me focused on what life is really all about. It sets my eye on Christ and His gospel and reminds me that I belong to Him.

This paraphrase comes from the song Forever by a band from the early 90's called Focused. The power with which they deliver this passage in the song is so ingrained in my skull that it finds it's way out almost daily.

aliensoul_squire20
03-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Thank you for clearifying that, Penyu.

Thirsty04
04-01-2004, 07:48 AM
Cant forget "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." ~Romans 12:2.
also,
"If we are out of our minds, it is for the sake of God..." II Corinthians 5:13
Hehe, I love that... 8)

korey_cooper_jr
04-01-2004, 08:00 AM
"For me, to live is Christ, to die is gain."
Philipians 1:21

Oh man, I love that verse. Paul worded that one really good.

theelectric3
04-01-2004, 04:14 PM
the Bible is full of great stuff. my goodness...

John 3:30 [NLT]

"He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less."

i think this verse sums up the goal of our Christian walk. Dying to who we are, letting Him flow through us - giving glory to His name, not my own. Because "I myself no longer live, but Christ lives in me..." [Galatians 2:20].

another powerful one is Galatians 1:10 [NLT]

"Obviously, I'm not trying to be a people pleaser! No, I am trying to please God. If I were still trying to please people, I would not be Christ's servant."

wow. so according to Paul, we aren't supposed to be striving to please people all our life. But our Heavenly Father. And if you look at the life of Jesus Christ, that's exactly how He lived. a bold, heroic life - pleasing the Father. regardless of man's opinion. now there's some food for thought.

in our life who are we trying to please: God? or man?

korey_cooper_jr
04-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Ah, nicely put, theelectric3. Good you posted this up to our attention. I really like those verses. :D

Nedarbi
04-07-2004, 04:54 PM
For by Grace you have been saved, through faith. and it is not of yourself, but it is the gift of god, not by works, lest anyone should boast

Ephesians 2:8,9

This is the first verse i ever heard. It's an oldy but a goody. I have always loved this verse because it reminds me of the great passion that god has for us and that i have for him. He went through so much to make us happy and my strength gets renewed whenever i hear it.

jesuslover
04-16-2004, 12:54 AM
i got another.....

romans 6:6-7

Knowing this,that our old man was crucified with Him , that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin.

bekah
04-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Jeremiah 1:4-10
The word of the LORD came to me, saying,"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

"Ah, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child."

But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you, declares the LORD." Then the LORD reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth. See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant."

I love that passage, it reminds me that God has choen me and it doesn't matter how ill-qualified I feel, it's God's words inmy mouth, nothing to do with my strengths or weaknesses!

aliensoul_squire20
04-26-2004, 05:54 PM
James 1: 23-24 "Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in the mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediatly forgets what he looks like."

Basically, this verse give a good comparison of what it's like if you listen to God's word, but don't follow it. And it's kinda funny to me, forgetting what you look like.

Matthew 18:12-13 "What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? and if he finds it, I tell you the truth, he is happiear about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that di not wander off."

That is a very nice verse, it describes one of God's amazing natures: that He cares about each and every one of his children. He is the good shepherd.

Peace out, and God bless.

riz
04-26-2004, 09:32 PM
1 Peter 1:23-25a(NIV)

For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. For,
"All men are like grass,
and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
the grass withers and the flowers fall,
but the word of the Lord stands forever."

AND also my current signature. :)

skelfy
04-27-2004, 03:19 PM
Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said to Samuel, 'Do not consider his appearance. . .The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.'"

weebird20
05-06-2004, 02:29 PM
I think a great way to show God's love to ppl is to encourage them....even ppl who might dislike you, a kind word of encouragement to them does soooo much....

I Thessalonians 5:11, NIV. "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."

I love this verse cus it when i read it i know that everything that has happened to me and will happen to me, God will bring me through it and putting my trust in Him is the absolute most amazin thing i can do because in the end with Him all things are possible!

Philippians 1:6, TLB. "And I am sure that God who began the good work within you will keep right on helping you grow in his grace until his task within you is finally finished on that day when Jesus Christ returns."

nsvol
06-19-2005, 09:53 AM
whats your fav Bible verses? mine is Psalm 91

Isildur9473
06-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Psalm 37, or Romans Chapter 8.

TheFireBreathes
06-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Eph 6:17, Psalm 18:29, Isiah 41:10, John 8:12

nsvol
06-21-2005, 12:01 PM
cool! i also like the entire book of revelation.

Sully4Him
06-21-2005, 12:05 PM
I like all of Job... even though I usually have to use the study guide to help me understand what's going on because they talk so much.

petrameansrock
02-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Whats yours?

Mine is Luke 24:39-43

One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"

But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."

Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[c]"

Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

I know it sounds dumb, but reading that gives me this feeling like im about to cry. I dont know why, but its a beautiful verse.

as~i~lay~dying
02-09-2006, 09:29 PM
It's for real not dumb!! 1) its in the bible and 2) YOU think its beautiful! One of my favorite verses of all time would have to be....
Isaiah 41:13- For I am the Lord ,your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, do not be afradi, I will help you.

It gives me such a cool picture of God in my head, like He is standing righ there holding my hand, helping me and guiding me through life! very cool! =)

drumchick101
02-10-2006, 11:47 AM
I have two :)

The first is John 8:1-11. I find myself in this woman's shoes and it reminds me of where He is when I'm where she is.

The second is Romans 12:1-2 "1So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life--your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life--and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. 2Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you."(MSG)

Ummm, and I'll give it a number three... 1 corinthians1:27:

"27Instead, God deliberately chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose those who are powerless to shame those who are powerful."(NLT)

I love it.

><sarah><

bob
02-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Luke 9:23.

Luvnoswin2sayno
02-11-2006, 05:08 PM
psalm 39
psalm 107
proverbs 3;5-6
1 peter 5:6-11
John 3:16
Mattthew 28:6

Luvnoswin2sayno
02-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Ii Timothy 1:7

Quadripedman
02-09-2007, 06:33 PM
mines the one i put in my signature. my personal favorite.

RougeLeader
02-16-2007, 02:20 PM
This isn't actually a Bible verse but I really like it alot
"The nail didn't hold him to the cross it was his love for me and you"

skilletfreak101
02-27-2007, 04:18 PM
the whole chapter of Philippians 4 is amazing.

bob
03-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Luke 9:23

skilltroks
03-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Psalm 41:4

alienyouth9292
03-10-2007, 09:28 AM
here is mine (1st Kings 18:44-46) :

The seventh time the servant reported, "A cloud as small as a man's hand is rising from the sea."
So Elijah said, "Go and tell Ahab, 'Hitch up your chariot and go down before the rain stops you.' "

Meanwhile, the sky grew black with clouds, the wind rose, a heavy rain came on and Ahab rode off to Jezreel. The power of the LORD came upon Elijah and, tucking his cloak into his belt, he ran ahead of Ahab all the way to Jezreel.

amazing, huh???

bob
05-29-2007, 11:01 PM
I have a daily bible verse flash program on my myspace and today's verse was:

Pslam 56:4
In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?