alorian
08-27-2005, 03:08 PM
*Waits patiently for Monday to come around*

TheFireBreathes
08-27-2005, 04:15 PM
*Hasnt had a chance to read it yet* so don't say anything

skelfy
08-27-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm sorry, but what happens Monday? Are we reading a chapter by Monday and discussing? ???

lamb_servant72
08-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Yes, Hebrews Chapter 1 for Monday.

alorian
08-29-2005, 03:03 PM
If you haven't read it, it's here (http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?book_id=65&chapter=1&version=50)

I'll have to post my thoughts in a little bit, I'm a little busy right now.

TheFireBreathes
08-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Yes I finished lastnight

bob
08-29-2005, 05:13 PM
I love how the bible always quotes back to the Old Testament, like the quotes from Duteronomy and Hebrews here . . . :)

drumchick101
08-29-2005, 06:35 PM
wow, those first 4 verses threw me back. just to think....how lucky we are. u could look @ a prohet & wonder wat was God & wat was parts where he screwed up but man...we've got Jesus to look up to. we have the opportunity to believe! & not only to believe, but to believe w/o seeing. i knew that already, but it just came to me in a new way...God does that, it rocks hard. there are no words to describe what those 4 verses did to me. its just so real, the concepts, the text, the voice that it comes from. its the most beautiful thing ive ever seen.

><sarah><

unshakeable15
08-30-2005, 12:47 PM
verse 3: "The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven."

what do you think it means that "the Son is the radiance of God's glory?" Isaiah 53.2 says "He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him" so it can't be that He literallly radiated God's glory like Moses did coming down from Mount Sinai. so what does that mean?

TheFireBreathes
08-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Glad to here that Sarah, that's awesome

TheFireBreathes
08-30-2005, 12:51 PM
The Son is the light and the heat of God, so yeah basically representing God's glory through Jesus. I think.

unshakeable15
08-30-2005, 01:07 PM
how is the Son the light and heat of God? i'm not getting that.

TheFireBreathes
08-30-2005, 01:09 PM
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life" (John 8:12) That's what I meant by light.

theelectric3
08-30-2005, 01:11 PM
verse 3: "The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven."

what do you think it means that "the Son is the radiance of God's glory?" Isaiah 53.2 says "He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him" so it can't be that He literallly radiated God's glory like Moses did coming down from Mount Sinai. so what does that mean?

good question Mike. In reading the first chapter of Hebrews, this verse really jumped out at me as well.

i believe that the word "glory" there is not refering to physical appearance but more of obedience and faithfulness to God - where God was able to move through Him (our example). i looked up the word Glory to define it, and according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glory_(religion)):

In the Judeo-Christian religious tradition, Glory (from the Latin gloria, "fame, renown") is used to denote the manifestation of God's presence. For example, see Exodus 24:16. It is also used simply to express God's majesty and honor, or God's miraculous power.

so when you read that verse, you could easily place "majesty", "God's miraculous power" and/or "honor" instead of "glory" to better understand what the writer of Hebrews was trying to portray.

"The Son is the radiance of God's [majesty, honor, miraculous power] and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven."

Jesus was the embodiment of the very being of God the Father. We know the Father through the Son. He only did what He saw His Father (our Father) do and only said what He heard Him say (John 5:19-20).

TheFireBreathes
08-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Good explanation! Looks like you did some research.

theelectric3
08-30-2005, 01:21 PM
yup, courtesy of google.com :)

alorian
08-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Hey, good question mike. I agree with what's been said. It isn't physical radiance, but holiness, God's glory, His majesty. John 1:4 "In him was life; and the life was the light of men." God's hope, promise of salvation, power, majesty, grace - I think that's what the radiance is.

unshakeable15
08-31-2005, 11:50 AM
cool. :) thanks.

i figured if this is gonna be a study, we'd better have some questions as well as comments. :)

alorian
08-31-2005, 04:33 PM
Verse 12: God is changeless, He's always the same. Change, upheaval is a hard thing to go through, whether moving from place to place, or part of your "spiritual journey," but God is steadfast, always there, and His word will never change.

alorian
09-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Time for chapter two?

unshakeable15
09-01-2005, 09:13 PM
sure, why not.

or we could wait until Monday so it's a "chapter a week" sort of thing.

theelectric3
09-02-2005, 12:41 PM
i kinda favor doing one chapter a week becausue then it keeps it more organized and we won't be necessarily rushing through chapters...

what do you guys and gals think?
--

in hebrews chapter 1 i really like how we are reminded of the fact that God never changes (vs. 10-12). it's easy to trust someone who never changes and is not swayed by favortism.

i also find it interesting how verses 13 and 14 discuss the role of angels: "Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minster for those who will inherit salvation?"

angels are sent forth to minister to believers and those who will become believers. so when you are praying for someone who doesn't yet know the Lord, you can ask the Lord to send forth His ministering angels to go and minister to that individual(s) and their situation.

minister - one who serves, as distinguished from the master. angels are sent forth to minister to the body of Christ...to carry out His good will and pleasure.

what did you guys and gals get in reading these verses?

TheFireBreathes
09-02-2005, 02:46 PM
in hebrews chapter 1 i really like how we are reminded of the fact that God never changes (vs. 10-12).

Yes I like that. It's like the Skillet song Always The Same, or unless it is talking about something else. ???

theelectric3
09-02-2005, 04:35 PM
no, i believe it is talking about the same thing. How the very character and nature of God never changes. :)

unshakeable15
09-02-2005, 10:29 PM
i find it a tad ironic that the angels are below us, since we are sons of God and co-heirs with Christ, yet so many people think of them as so much greater than us. it's like saying the errand boy is higher up the corporate scale than the executive.

theelectric3
09-03-2005, 10:58 AM
that's true. and then it kinda leads to that angel-worship stuff. countless times when John in the book of Revelation would bow down to the angel because he is in awe, the angel would tell John to rise to his feet and not to worship anyone besides our Creator.

aliengurl7
09-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Where does it say that we are higher than the angels? thanks.

unshakeable15
09-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Where does it say that we are higher than the angels? thanks.
Hebrews 1. 3-4 "...when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they."

Romans 8.17 (http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?book_id=52&chapter=8&verse=17&version=31&context=verse) refers to us as co-heirs with Christ.

so, since Christ has inherited "a more excellent name than" the angels and we are co-heirs with Him, we also have obtained that same "excellent name." how cool is that! ;D

i do need a bit of help with my argument tho. verse 14 in Hebrews: "Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?" that's not to say that those who minister are lower than those who recieve their ministrations. however, the way this verse is talking about angels, and how the author of Hebrews has been talking of angels, it makes them more out to be ministers in a servant sense. not a lower thing at all in God's Kingdom.

so, if a servant is lifted up, that makes it seem like the angels, as servants in their ministering to us, would be higher than us in the Kingdom. but i don't believe this to be so. but i'm not sure how to make a cohesive whole out of these pieces.

TheFireBreathes
09-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Has anyone read the second chapter of Hebrews?

unshakeable15
09-05-2005, 10:17 PM
i did last week, but i need to re-read it.

TheFireBreathes
09-06-2005, 11:56 AM
I do too, I don't remember a thing.

unshakeable15
09-06-2005, 01:33 PM
in a very opportune sermon, my pastor used Hebrews 2.14-18 as one of his references on sunday.

"Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil—and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham's descendants. For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted."

he connected it to Job 19.25-27.

"I know that my Redeemer lives,
and that in the end he will stand upon the earth.

And after my skin has been destroyed,
yet in my flesh I will see God;

I myself will see him
with my own eyes—I, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me!"

and this is how he connected them: the word in Job that NIV translates as "Redeemer" is better translated as Kinsman Redeemer (the entire book of Ruth is a tale of a Kinsman Redeemer). the difference in those two terms is huge. a redeemer can be anyone, but a Kinsman Redeemer is one is family, who has a relational tie to the one being redeemed.

if i remember correctly, Job is a prophecy of sorts, and Hebrews is stating that culmination. those verses in Hebrews talk of the Kinsman Redeemer we have in Jesus. our God is not just One who comes to earth to redeem what has been lost, He is connected to us, He is our Kinsman Redeemer.

TheFireBreathes
09-06-2005, 07:12 PM
What is a Kinsman Radeemer?

drumchick101
09-07-2005, 12:01 PM
wow, thats awsome mike. a kinsman redeemer is someone who is not just saving the day, it is someone like you, who knows you, and loves you. Jesus was like us in being human, He knows us better than we know ourselves, and His love knows no bounds. @ least thats wat i get from the way mike explained it. any1, please correct me if im wrong.

but just that concept of a kinsman redeemer makes it so much more personal, so much more real. i think all the time about how Jesus was fully human & the incredible endurace, purpose, and detumination He must have had to get from 39 lashings all the way to the top of a hill carrying His cross w/ much more inbetween. it even helps me run better, push myself harder. crosscountry pracice is brutal but i think about how physically strong Jesus must have been. im sure He had the help of the holy spirit but...He gave all the blood He had and im not even strong enough to get through my minor problems in life. it blows me away. u rock God

><sarah><

TheFireBreathes
09-08-2005, 01:29 PM
. i think all the time about how Jesus was fully human & the incredible endurace, purpose, and detumination He must have had to get from 39 lashings all the way to the top of a hill carrying His cross w/ much more inbetween. it even helps me run better, push myself harder. crosscountry pracice is brutal but i think about how physically strong Jesus must have been.
><sarah><

That's a good point, there is this one Bible verse that I think of everytime Im doing something tough whether it be homework, or exercise or just plain be being bored out of my mind at school. The first verse I think of is . 2nd Timothy 2:3 which sais; Endure hardship with me like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. I know in some ways it has a different meaning but that is just the one I think of.

1st Peter 5:8-9 Stay sober and stay awake [on guard]. Our adversary the devil roams about like a roaring lion, looking for someone he can devour. Resist him, strong in your faith, remembering that your fellow believers in this world are undergoing the exact same sort of suffering [that you are]. This is one that I also thing of when I am stressed or mad or whatever the occasion is.

alorian
09-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Grf, busy-ness, I'll post tomorrow.

unshakeable15
09-09-2005, 12:43 PM
wow, thats awsome mike. a kinsman redeemer is someone who is not just saving the day, it is someone like you, who knows you, and loves you. Jesus was like us in being human, He knows us better than we know ourselves, and His love knows no bounds. @ least thats wat i get from the way mike explained it. any1, please correct me if im wrong.
nope. you got it about right. :)

a further illustration of a Kinsman Redeemer, in the more historical sense, is the book of Ruth. she was a widow, delegated to the bottom rung of society, but she was brought up to the forefront (and made a part of Jesus' lineage) when her kinsman redeemer, Boaz, rescued her. he was her closest relative (well, second-closest. read Ruth to find out more) so it was up to him to redeem her, to marry her back into society.

another cool verse is the last verse in chapter two of Hebrews. "Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted." that one always gives me strength when i'm thinking about it.

TheFireBreathes
09-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Thats wierd, theres no Ruth in my Bible

unshakeable15
09-09-2005, 02:59 PM
well, there should be a Ruth. it forms the only sentence in the book titles in the Bible. Joshua Judges Ruth. :)

TheFireBreathes
09-09-2005, 03:32 PM
well, there should be a Ruth. it forms the only sentence in the book titles in the Bible. Joshua Judges Ruth. :)

Oh wait yes youre right, their is a Ruth sorry. :P

unshakeable15
09-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Grf, busy-ness, I'll post tomorrow.
*ahem* uh, alorian?

alorian
09-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Heheh, sorry. I've been incredibly occupied, I'll have to catch up next monday. I've had tons of skewlwork and military things to do, but things should clear up after this weekend. I'll see you then :)

unshakeable15
09-14-2005, 09:15 PM
it's cool. :) just wanted to make sure you didn't forget (i've done that many a time).

alorian
09-15-2005, 03:46 PM
No worries. I just wish I didn't have so much going on, but, God-willing, I should make it sunday afternoon or monday, hopefully. I'm looking forward to it :)

theelectric3
09-17-2005, 04:34 PM
that is so awesome Mike, about what you pastor talked about and placing the two passages side by side.

another cool verse is the last verse in chapter two of Hebrews. "Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted." that one always gives me strength when i'm thinking about it.

i love this. it is so comforting to know that not only is Jesus interceeding for us (praying for us) but He also knows what we're going through. having taken on the human flesh, He can relate to us. think of it, sin cannot enter the presence of God, therefore He doesn't know what it is like to live with sin. so Jesus willingly came onto this earth so He can relate to us and show us God's love. in turn, we can run to Him and find comfort knowing He is with us.

alorian
09-19-2005, 08:44 AM
I love that verse too

skynes
09-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Right now, I'm very fond of Hebrews 4:16 "Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

Not intending to be a plug on my MySpace, but I wrote a blog inspired by that verse http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=12701444&blogID=49234969 here.

I just find it amazing that God is not some sick kid with a magnifying glass and us the ants. He doesn't need appeased because He's already happy with us. We can walk up to Him at any time and lay ALL our cares on Him *sniff* it's so touching. And I'm only being mildly goofy there. It really is.

alorian
10-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Enough procrastinating...

Chapter four's a kewl one. It reminds me how we can join in God's peace. Life is so hectic and chaotic, we all know that, but if we come to God and accept His peace, and have FAITH that God will take care of us and our lives, things get much simpler.
It's also great to know that we have someone who was tempted just like us, who went through what we did, and came out clean and pure, completely holy. Someone who knows what it's like someone we can turn to, it's just, for want of a better word, awe-some.

alorian
10-25-2005, 05:04 PM
Hebrews 5... doesn't really speak much to me... or you guys obviously ;)

THe last few verses, though. Once you've got the basics, don't stay on the basics. Move onto more, more of God. I don't know how to say it, but, well, instead of returning again and again to the same spots in the Bible, like always reading the gospels, read romans, hebrews, titus, the corinthians etc.

If it's alright with everyone i'm gonna move onto six soon...

alorian
10-26-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm gonna move onto six soon, cause it's packed with some good stuff... Just a heads up ;)

lamb_servant72
10-28-2005, 05:29 AM
The verb tense in 5:1-4 is confusing to me. Do you think he is talking about present day Christian leaders? It seems so, which makes verse 2 interesting to me. I wonder what kind of weakness?

I've always felt uncomfortable with some of the harsh judgements brought against Christian leaders who have made mistakes. No Christian leader is going to be the Perfect High Priest. We are human with weaknesses. Apparently, according to verse 2, there is an important reason for this.

I think it's sad how the media uses instances of Christian leaders who make mistakes so negatively. Find a Christian leader in the Bible who didn't. According to this verse, we are beset with weakness so we can deal gently with others.

unshakeable15
10-28-2005, 03:35 PM
i wasn't even for sure we were on chapter 5 yet. i'll make sure to get on the ball. :)

theelectric3
10-28-2005, 06:07 PM
yeah, i'm sorry...i got behind on this. i'll read, catch up and then post my $0.02.

alorian
11-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Bleh, I'll start the next chapter on the seventh, next monday, give you guys time to catch up :)

unshakeable15
11-02-2005, 01:17 PM
thanks. :) i appreciate it.

theelectric3
11-02-2005, 02:41 PM
thanks seth. i appreciate it too. :)

alorian
11-02-2005, 02:53 PM
No problem :)

alorian
11-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Only two days left ;) I'd wait either way, but it'd rock if you guys did it before monday :)

alorian
11-08-2005, 06:30 PM
Next monday, i forgot to tell you, is a different matter ;) Slackers ::]

unshakeable15
11-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Only two days left ;) I'd wait either way, but it'd rock if you guys did it before monday :)
sorry, we were waiting for you (or, at least, i was). i mean, you seem to charging ahead here. :)

so what was your excuse for not posting? ;)

alorian
11-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Already posted on five... not much, but what I got out of it ;)

alorian
11-17-2005, 06:05 PM
Exactly.. one week :) I'm going to move on to the next chapter on monday, just letting you all know :)

unshakeable15
11-23-2005, 12:16 AM
i have thoughts/questions on chapters 5 & 6 but it's nearly 1.30 in the morn, so it's gonna have to wait 'til tomorrow at the soonest (or rather, later today).

alorian
11-23-2005, 06:18 PM
I'll wait for you, then :)

unshakeable15
11-23-2005, 07:23 PM
then i'll try not to procrastinate too much. :)

Hebrews 5.8-10 (i'll get to verse 10 later)

"Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him..."

this passage makes it sound as if Jesus was made perfect through his suffering and dying on the cross. does that mean Christ wasn't perfect in all His time on earth until He hung from that hunk of wood?

Hebrews 6.16-18 (again, verse 19 & 20 below)

"Men swear by someone greater than themselves, and the oath confirms what is said and puts an end to all argument. Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged."

verse 18 says "God did this so that, by two unchangable things in which it is impossible for God to lie,..."

what are the two unchangable things? it's impossible for God to lie and...? that sentence doesn't logically make sense to me. what it's saying does, but the sentence itself, no.

now here is where i stop asking questions and start illuminating from what i've learned from my pastor. in both chapters, this guy Melchizedek is mentioned. he stems from Genesis 14 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=1&chapter=14&version=31&context=chapter), when he blesses Abram after a battle for his nephew Lot.

during that time, there weren't countries, so to speak. it was every city for itself. that's why that battle of 5 kings against 4 (the one that resulted in Abram kicking their butts to get Lot and his stuff back) was so important. it was essentially cities banding together to form a temporary country, of sorts.

but, more importantly for what i want to say, each city had their own god. why wouldn't they? it's not as if there was one god over all, right? well, Mel (let's call him that, shall we. it's much easier on the eyes and the fingers) was the priest of Salem. he blessed Abram with a new God, the God Most High. previously, Abram recieved the blessing of this God, but he didn't recieve his name. he was, basically, Abrams personal God. but, with this, He made Himself known as the God Most High, the God above all over gods.

Mel, invoking that name, became the first priest. Aaron was the first in the order, but Mel was the first to lead in the worship of God Most High. that's why Jesus is in the order of Melchizedek, not Aaron. Aaron led by heredity, Mel through his invocation of the name of the Lord for the first time ever.

alorian
12-08-2005, 02:14 PM
this passage makes it sound as if Jesus was made perfect through his suffering and dying on the cross. does that mean Christ wasn't perfect in all His time on earth until He hung from that hunk of wood?

I've been thinking about that alot recently. There's a passage about this in Luke, too. I'll look it up for ya all later.

alorian
12-17-2005, 09:35 PM
No other thoughts? Man, what am I paying you for? Wha-? Nah, the checks should make it out to you all on wednesday, or thursday, HONESTLY ;)

Since nobody seems to be posting, I'll post some closing thoughts on this chapter sometime, then move on the day after.

alorian
05-14-2006, 09:45 AM
*coughs* Sorry.

1 Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. 3 And this we will do if God permits.

Your foundation in Christ is already laid down, so why continue to tear it up and replace it with the exact same thing? Move on from that to build higher the structure.

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

Those who have abounded in Christ, dwelled within God's presence, repented and accepted Christ's sacrifice that fall away cannot come back. Would you have Christ crucified again?

7 For the earth which drinks in the rain that often comes upon it, and bears herbs useful for those by whom it is cultivated, receives blessing from God; 8 but if it bears thorns and briers, it is rejected and near to being cursed, whose end is to be burned.

Take in the blessings that God has given you and use them to do his work. If you produce only thorns and such rubbish what use are you? If you bring about good plants, though, then you are of benefit. If you had two rose bushes, one alive and thriving, the other dead for three years, wouldn't you keep the lively one and toss the dead one?

9 But, beloved, we are confident of better things concerning you, yes, things that accompany salvation, though we speak in this manner. 10 For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor oflove which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister. 11 And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence to the full assurance of hope until the end, 12 that you do not become sluggish, but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Don't get lazy in your walk with God, but instead make it stronger. How do you get stronger? Practice. Through constant running you get better at running, by constant jumping you get closer to dunking that basketball, by constant prayer, worship, reading, and practicing your faith you get better at serving God.

13 For when God made a promise to Abraham, because He could swear by no one greater, He swore by Himself, 14 saying, “Surely blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply you.” 15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise. 16 For men indeed swear by the greater, and an oath for confirmation is for them an end of all dispute. 17 Thus God, determining to show more abundantly to the heirs of promise the immutability of His counsel, confirmed it by an oath, 18 that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us.

God cannot lie. Can you say that about anyone else? Place your trust, faith, and hope in God.

19 This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which enters the Presence behind the veil, 20 where the forerunner has entered for us, even Jesus, having become High Priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.

The hope we have set before us is an anchor for us to hold our souls steadfast and make them sure. Jesus, our high priest, and ultimate sacrifice made this possible for us.

disciple
05-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Nice devotion there, Seth. You make my devotions look far beyond n00bish. :P

alorian
05-16-2006, 08:27 PM
For those that wanted to post on six, feel free.
Chapter 7. This is a difficult chapter for me.

1 For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2 to whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all, first being translated “king of righteousness,” and then also king of Salem, meaning “king of peace,” 3 without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, remains a priest continually.

Wow that's a decent junk of info. Melchizedek is the king of Salem, priest of the Most High God (the one we serve), met Abraham and blessed him, the same Melchizedek that Abraham gave a tenth of everything to, the king of righteousness, then king of Salem, king of peace, having neither father nor mother, nor any genealogy, no beginning or end, made like the Son of God.
The point is that Melchizedek remains a priest continually.

4 Now consider how great this man was, to whom even the patriarch Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils.

This is a great man. Obvious eh?

5 And indeed those who are of the sons of Levi, who receive the priesthood, have a commandment to receive tithes from the people according to the law, that is, from their brethren, though they have come from the loins of Abraham; 6 but he whose genealogy is not derived from them received tithes from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises.

Continuing examples for the Hebrews how great he is.

7 Now beyond all contradiction the lesser is blessed by the better. 8 Here mortal men receive tithes, but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives. 9 Even Levi, who receives tithes, paid tithes through Abraham, so to speak, 10 for he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek met him.

*nods* Let's read on

11 Therefore, if perfection were through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need was there that another priest should rise according to the order of Melchizedek, and not be called according to the order of Aaron?

There existed need for another priest.

12 For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law. 13 For He of whom these things are spoken belongs to another tribe, from which no man has officiated at the altar.

14 For it is evident that our Lord arose from Judah, of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood. 15 And it is yet far more evident if, in the likeness of Melchizedek, there arises another priest 16 who has come, not according to the law of a fleshly commandment, but according to the power of an endless life. 17 For He testifies:

“ You are a priest forever
According to the order of Melchizedek.”

*nods* let's continue

18 For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness, 19 for the law made nothing perfect; on the other hand, there is thebringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.

The law made nothing perfect. I remember Romans where Paul is saying we're under grace, not under law. Law doesn't make us perfect. In fact, it can bring us to sin, by knowing it.

20 And inasmuch as He was not made priest without an oath 21 (for they have become priests without an oath, but He with an oath by Him who said to Him:

“ The LORD has sworn
And will not relent,

‘ You are a priest forever
According to the order of Melchizedek’”),

22 by so much more Jesus has become a surety of a better covenant.

The oath was made by God.

23 Also there were many priests, because they were prevented by death from continuing. 24 But He, because He continues forever, has an unchangeable priesthood. 25 Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.

Self explanatory in 23-24. Since He is an unchangeable priest, forever, he is always able to save those who come to God through him. (Jesus)

26 For such a High Priest was fitting for us, who isholy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and has become higher than the heavens; 27 who does not need daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the people’s, for this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.

He is already perfected, so needs no sacrifices to make himself clean. He himself was our sacrifice. Once and forever.

28 For the law appoints as high priests men who have weakness, but the word of the oath, which came after the law, appoints the Son who has been perfected forever.

Christ is the perfect priest, our ultimate priest.

alorian
05-17-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm just going to continue doing the next chapter, then the next chapter, till someone either jumps in or we're finished

alorian
06-03-2006, 08:59 PM
1 Now this is the main point of the things we are saying: We have such a High Priest, who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, 2 a Minister of the sanctuary and of the true tabernacle which the Lord erected, and not man.
3 For every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices. Therefore it is necessary that this One also have something to offer. 4 For if He were on earth, He would not be a priest, since there are priests who offer the gifts according to the law; 5 who serve the copy and shadow of the heavenly things, as Moses was divinely instructed when he was about to make the tabernacle. For He said, “See that you make all things according to the pattern shown you on the mountain.”[a] 6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises.

Not sure if I have anything to say about these verses. They're self-explanatory and add to the last chapter

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second. 8 Because finding fault with them, He says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 9 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the LORD. 10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 11 None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. 12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds[b] I will remember no more.”[c]
13 In that He says, “A new covenant, ” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

There was something wrong with the old covenant, so a new one was needed, no? A new covenant was made, making the old one irrevelant. The new covenant is beautiful. Though we've been unrighteous, sinful, and unlawful, we can be accepted and our wrongs forgotten.