terrasin
09-29-2005, 05:30 PM
I found this on an email list I am on. I thought it was a good point that should be discussed in all countries.

Australia - The Right to Leave

Our Country - YOU Have the right - the right to leave !

After Sydney not wanting to offend other cultures by putting up Xmas lights. After hearing that the State of South Australia changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with her face covered. This prompted this editorial written by an Australian citizen.

Published in an Australian newspaper.

Quote:
IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It

I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.

However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Australia.

However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.

This idea of Australia being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle.

This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, Learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our National Motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, Because God is part of our culture.

If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like " A Fair Go", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet.

We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, And we really don't care how you did things where you came from.

This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this.

But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, "THE RIGHT TO LEAVE".

If you aren't happy here then **** off! We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.

Pretty easy really, when you think about it.

I figure if we all keep passing this to our friends (and enemies) it will also, sooner or later get back to the complainers, lets all try, please.

No matter how many times you receive it... please forward it to all you know.

And for those that whinge about the UK. DITTO!!!

Good lesson to be learned here.

CJ

BarlowgIRL
09-29-2005, 06:10 PM
"In God We Trust" is our National Motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation"

I thought Australia was a penal colony for the prisoners and the such of England to go to.Am I wrong?

firefryer
09-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Whoa. You're right...

I thought I remember seeing on the news that some family was gonna sue for "Under God" in the pledge of alliegence (SP?) because they were athiest or jewish or something.

Man, I really need to go to church again.

terrasin
09-29-2005, 06:46 PM
I thought Australia was a penal colony for the prisoners and the such of England to go to.Am I wrong?
So convicts can't find God? ;)

CJ

Isildur9473
09-29-2005, 06:48 PM

That's what Austrialia was first used for.

BarlowgIRL
09-29-2005, 06:53 PM
no I meant the letter thingie said that they were founded by Christians so i was confused.It sounded a lot like America cause we were founded by Christian theology but not Christians though. Am I confusing ppl? I'm confusing myself sorta

terrasin
09-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Their government was founded by men and women who were christians and their foundation was based on that belief. Much like our own country.

CJ

BarlowgIRL
09-29-2005, 06:54 PM
oh okay. that works

theelectric3
09-29-2005, 07:06 PM
yes, i would like to see america to step up to the plate in the same manner.

Spiffles
09-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Australia was "collanized" by the English who brang over convicts, and for a long time it was just an English colony.
When Australia became an independant nation free from outright rule of the English it was founded by Christian men on Christian principles..
That's the bases of what happened..

Our current government sadly has said that Austrlia isnt a Christian country anymore, but a country that isn't religious as a nation, but with policys to accoumodate any culture..but luckily, as that article showed, the actual people of australia think differently.
Most (prob 90%) of Australians beleive thaqt if you come to Australia, then you should make the effort to be part of our culture, not bring your own rules and laws and ignore the culture and laws of our nation..
Australians can be pretty blunt at times, and basicly to sum it up, if you come to our country and expect to have your own laws and crap, then you can bugger off.

I personally find it laughable that people have a "problem" with the southern cross as a symbol of Australia.. to those people..if you have a problem with it.. go into space and chaneg the layout of the stars. dont winge about our culture.

The funniest thing that happened about 3 weeks ago.. the phrase "g'day mate" was banned in parliment...you can guess what happened.. it was soon changed, hhehee.
It's time Australia stoped selling out as a nation.

I tihnk thats what CJ is trying to say as well...
America is selling itself out, and it's time to stop, and start embracing the culture that is and WAS America

Unregistered
09-30-2005, 12:01 AM
I was suspicious of this because Australia does not have a motto. And besides "In God We Trust" is the American motto, not Australian. So I did some digging around and found out I was right.

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/beamerican.html

Mr. Xcitement
09-30-2005, 12:28 AM
I agree, we allow people to move here to enjoy our freedoms, and it's these peoples children, and their children who end up fighting the christian parts, because they never fully become part of the country, like at my work, anyone who barely speaks english, or speaks just a little, won't even attempt to talk to anyone, let alone even be nice to other people, only the ones like them. The people of Australia are probably bringing that fight up like that because they can see what is happening here, and how we are falling apart, because no matter what they do, you cannot take God out of our country, if you do, then it'll be the end of us, because that's like taking the foundation out from under a house, ya can't do it.

md4j
09-30-2005, 05:15 AM
My biggest complaint is the idea that we should learn another culture's language just because they come here. I used to work in an insurance company and we would get people in there that spoke only spanish and had to have a translator, yet they've lived here for the past 10 years. "Learn english ya bum" is what I'd like to say. If I went to live in another country I would expect to learn their language not the other way around. That makes me sick. I may move to Australia if this country every takes away my rights to religion and my right to tell others about Jesus.

skynes
09-30-2005, 05:34 AM
That is hilarious and totally true.
A British MP (member of parliament) said a similar thing once. He said that if people don't like Britain and the way things are done to get lost.

For the next week the media were presenting him as some ignorant sectarian racist who was out of line.
I think he was right.

Mr. Xcitement
09-30-2005, 07:09 AM
I know, I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but I know that here in MA, it is mandatory for all students to take a foreign language, which is either Spanish or French, well there's also Latin, and I got real lucky and took American Sign Language, which I felt was the only one worth taking, because those people can't learn our language, when others choose not too. One time I was planning on going to Germany, so I told my friend there that I was planning on trying to learn some German first, but, like most of the bigger countries out there, Germany now speaks English for the most part. English is the biggest languauge in the country, or so I feel, maybe statistics are the other way.

Spiffles
09-30-2005, 03:33 PM
I was suspicious of this because Australia does not have a motto. And besides "In God We Trust" is the American motto, not Australian. So I did some digging around and found out I was right.

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/beamerican.html

Thats the most idiotic thing i have ever heard...Saying Australia has not have a motto shows you have no clue.. and i'm gonna stop there before i say something that gets me banned from these forums...

As far as that link and it claiming that it's a rip off of another article.. *rolls eyes* I was talking about the Australian mentality and how the *people* of Australia view things. That attitude has been presented in hundreds of newpaper articles, and spoken about by many thousands of australians just from who we are as a people...

terrasin
09-30-2005, 04:49 PM
As far as that link and it claiming that it's a rip off of another article.. *rolls eyes*
This is true, that link is a ripoff.

The origional article was written in the Australian papers right after John Howard announced the issues of Muslims in Australian society.

CJ

Unregistered
09-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Thats the most idiotic thing i have ever heard...Saying Australia has not have a motto shows you have no clue.. and i'm gonna stop there before i say something that gets me banned from these forums...

Australia has no official motto. Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade agrees me.

----Australia has never adopted any official motto or faunal or bird emblem. By popular tradition, however, the kangaroo and emu are widely accepted as national faunal and bird emblems. The golden wattle, Acacia pycnantha Benth, was proclaimed the official national floral emblem in August 1988.----

http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/coat_of_arms.html

It is towards the bottom of the page.

As far as that link and it claiming that it's a rip off of another article.. *rolls eyes* I was talking about the Australian mentality and how the *people* of Australia view things. That attitude has been presented in hundreds of newpaper articles, and spoken about by many thousands of australians just from who we are as a people...

It is a rip off of another article. "In God We Trust" is the giveaway that it was orginally written by an American since that is America's motto. As an Australian myself I know that there are many people who share these viewpoints. However it is hardly a universal position down here. For every article that advocates a position like this, I could point to another article that says completley the opposite. Australia, like America is a divided nation.

Spiffles
10-01-2005, 03:44 PM
http://www.pm.gov.au/aus_in_focus/nat_symbols/emblems.html
http://www.pm.gov.au/aus_in_focus/nat_symbols/gemstone.html
http://www.pm.gov.au/aus_in_focus/nat_symbols/colours.html
Thats the official stuff of Australia.
The coat of arms itself is official, but yes, the animals holding the shield up are not "official"
Each state however, has "official" animals
So we do have official emblems in Australia, just no official Animal of the Commonwealth of Australia.

Secondly, your first post never said "official"
There is a big difference between "official" things of a nation and unofficial things that make up the peoples culture.. example.. " G'day mate" is not official phrase of the commonwealth of Australia, but it's our culture.. could you imgaine Australia without the "g'day mate".
The culture of Australia is different to what the King or Queen of England grants us as official.

This whole thing is not about official things. It's about who we are as a people, and we are selling ourselves out when it comes to what the government is tyring to incorporate.
I will beat my life that the majority of the Australian "people" agree with that atricle and that if people come to australia, they should make the effort to join ou culture, not introduce their own and suplliment it for ours..
The division is not between the people, it's between the politicians and the people.
Australians dont want our culture corrupted or modified. If people have a problem with Australia culture hen they should not consider moving to Australia but go somewhere else.
And as a people we are storngly viewed about that.. only about a month ago, the politicians tried to ban "g'day mate" from parliment.. that garbage didnt last long cause as a people thats our culture, it's who we are as a people, and as a nation. It doesnt matter to us if the King/Queen of England says its official or not.

I think what TerraSin is trying to say is, that is how Americans should be looking at things as well...
Americans have their own culture, and that shouldnt be changed to accomodate anytihng else.. their culture is what makes them American, it's what makes them a nation, a people, who they are.
TerraSin can correct me if i misrepresented what he was trying to say about Americans though..

The same can be said of Christians. Too many times we see the "church" selling itself out, or changing it 's views.
As Christians, as the people of God, we shouldn't be like that. We need to embrace who we are as children of God, as christians, and not changing the chruch to accomodate what the "world" is becoming.

*edit* i have too many spelling typing errors so instead of fixing it, i'll put this note*

Unregistered
10-02-2005, 08:24 PM
"In God We Trust" is an American Motto because it was passed by an act of congress in the mid 20th century. Australia has no motto because our parliament has never passed legislation to create one. Even if the American Government never passed legislation, "In God We Trust" would still be considered an "unofficial" motto of America due to its prominence on American currency. Australia has nothing like "In God We Trust" in our country. The article says "Our National Motto". What exactly is our national motto Spiffles?

This argument is irrelevant anyway - Even if Australia did have a motto it most certainly is not "In God We Trust". We also do not say a pledge as this article indicates. Another inconsistency as far as I can tell is the Muslim person in South Australia who has her picture taken with her face covered. I read the papers quite a bit and I have never come across that story. I did a google search and all I found was an incident in Florida, there was nothing from South Australia at all. Another proof that this was originally written in America.

I have also found the original article that this chain email was based off. The similarities are all to clear.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020213210735/http://vietnow.com/artbar1.htm

If you want to know more about the guy who originally wrote this artcle you can find it at

http://web.archive.org/web/20020214233838/http://vietnow.com/artbar2.htm

Unless someone can give me the newspaper and date that this article appeared in I am 100% convinced that this article has never been printed in an Australian newspaper. Do you find it somewhat ironic that you are using an article originally written in America to defend your idea of Australian culture? May I suggest that you find and post an article written by an Australian if you want to say that Australians support the views that you say we support.

As for the rest of your post. I did not post to dispute the views in this article or your views as to what is Australian culture. I wrote to point out that this article never originated in Australia. I don't care if you or anyone else cares that this is the case. I just felt that letting people know the truth is never a bad thing.

Spiffles
10-03-2005, 02:58 AM
I'll repeat myself here
Secondly, your first post never said "official"

"In God We Trust" is an American Motto because it was passed by an act of congress in the mid 20th century. Australia has no motto because our parliament has never passed legislation to create one. Even if the American Government never passed legislation, "In God We Trust" would still be considered an "unofficial" motto of America due to its prominence on American currency. Australia has nothing like "In God We Trust" in our country. The article says "Our National Motto". What exactly is our national motto Spiffles?

If the argument is irrelevant, why do you keep bringing it up mr no name?
and again.. there was no talk of "official" mottos till you said so in your second post.
A motto can be lots of things, and I beleive there is numerous mottos in australian culture. Sticking up for your mate would be one of them, or "have a fair go". I cant be botherd to name a whole page of what I would call mottos... All a motto is, is something that diffines (bad spelling i know) a type of people and their culture.

We do have a pledge in Australia... ::]

From this time forward, under God*,
I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,
whose Democratic beliefs I share,
whose rights and liberties I respect,
and whose laws I will uphold and obey.

*New Citizens can choose to take the pledge in the form of an oath, which includes the words 'under God', or in the form of an affirmation, which does not.

This statement is an Australian Citizenship Affirmation, and is as follows:

As an Australian citizen,
I affirm my loyalty to Australia and its people,
whose democratic beliefs I share
whose rights and liberties I respect,
and whose laws I uphold and obey.

As for the rest of your post. I did not post to dispute the views in this article or your views as to what is Australian culture. I wrote to point out that this article never originated in Australia. I don't care if you or anyone else cares that this is the case. I just felt that letting people know the truth is never a bad thing.

I did a google search and all I found was an incident in Florida, there was nothing from South Australia at all. Another proof that this was originally written in America.

not finding something in a google search is proof of completely nothing.

The whole point of this thread is to talk about how America is selling itself out and becoming "not America", which you havent addressed, mr no name.
I just happen to agree that Australia is going the same way and selling ourselves out as a nation.
It's about, who we are as a people, what our culture is, and how it's being sold out but the "people in power" by the politicians.
It's happening in America from talking to many americans, they all say the same thing..
It's happening in Australia as well. I can see it with my own two eyes, talking to any random australian, 90% of them would say, as a nation we are selling out.
I cant be bothered to shift through tousand of newspaper atricles to find the one that talked about that particular incident, but to be honest, the point of all or any of this, doesnt matter where the atricle came from.. it could come from some random island in the atlantic, the meaning and point of the atricle is the same.

skilletosis
10-03-2005, 08:05 AM
The article was real good and I feel that it really doesn't matter where it was written or what papers it was published in. The point is the same and I think it is a "great point". I too have dealt with people who have been in America for many years and have no grasp of English at all. Both my hubby and I have experienced going in to a fast food place and be adressed in Spanish. Uh HELLO, this is America and I do not look Hispanic at all. I'm one of those whiteys that would get skin cancer before getting a good tan (there's no way anyone would mistake me for Hispanic). But what really burns me is getting a blank stare from the girl in Walmart who's cutting fabric because she doesn't understand anything other than 1 yard please. The article makes a very good point. And I think it is totaly possible to honor ones heritage and still asimilate into the culture of the country you chose to move to. Now before anyone cries about what I've said I'll have you know that I've worked with many Mexicans that feel the same way. If you come to America learn the English language.