theelectric3
10-06-2005, 09:53 PM
people always say, "call on the name of the Lord when you need help"...but do we know His Name? it would be like someone yelling "hey, twin!" to get my attention (because yes, i have a twin and a lot of people can't tell us apart.) does it get my attention? yes...but of course, it is much more effective to call me by my name.

to know His character and essence of His very being makes our High Priest much more approachable in our times of need.

----

Elohim - meaning "God", a reference to God's power and might.
Genesis 1:1 and Psalm 19:1

Adonai - meaning "Lord", a reference to the Lordship of God.
Malachi 1:6

Jehovah (sometimes spelled Yahweh) - a reference to God's divine salvation.
Genesis 2:4
--

He is Jehovah Shammah; the Lord who is present. (He will never leave us nor forsake us.)
Ezekiel 48:35

He is Jehovah Tsidhenu; the Lord our Righteousness. Jeremiah 23:6

He is Jehovah Shalom; the Lord out Peace.
Judges 6:24

He is Jehovah Nissi; the Lord our Banner (Victory!). (we mess up and fail, but He will NEVER fail.)
Exodus 17:15

He is Jehovah Sabboth; the Lord of Hosts (or Lord of the Sabbath).
Isaiah 6:1-3

He is Jehovah Jireh; the Lord our Provider. (therefore, why worry?)
Genesis 22: 13-14

He is Jehovah Rapha; the Lord our Healer.
(healer of our mind, will, emotion, body, soul and spirit. restoration and restitution.)
Exodus 15:26

He is Jehovah Maccadshem; the Lord thy Sanctifier.
Exodus 31:13

He is Jehovah Roi; the Lord our Shepherd.
Psalm 23:1

He is El Elyon; the Most High God.
Genesis 14:17-20 and Isaiah 14:13-14

He is El Roi; the Strong One Who Sees.
Genesis 16:12 and 2 Chronichles 16:9

He is El Shaddai; the God of the Mountains (or God Almighty).
Genesis 17:1 and Psalm 91:1

He is El Olam; the Everlasting God.
Isaiah 40:28-31

whom and/or what shall i fear? Psalm 91.

i share these only to encourage your prayer time with the Lord. to really know who you are calling out to when you say "God". :)

skynes
10-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Another way to translate Lord of Hosts is "God of the fighting angels!"

El means God. So names that start or end with El, are a reference to God.

Look at some OT names and see how many start or end with El.

El-isha.
El-ijah
Dani-el

etc.
I don't know what they mean tho...

P.S. I like this topic Tracy :)

TheFireBreathes
10-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Ok here is what I was reminded when I first saw this thread.
I dunno if this has anything to do with what you are talking about but its cool.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/bobmarleysgnarley/Names16x2002016.jpg

unshakeable15
10-07-2005, 12:51 PM
i'm currently re-reading Madeleline L'Engle's "Walking on Water" which has a bit on names (and i just finished her "A Wind in the Door", which also talks about it).

basically, there is power in a name. there is power in naming as well. to name is to love, to love name.

to pigeonhole, to stereotype, to typecast, all are to un-name someone.

now, my own thoughts are that God is love, so God doesn't need us to name Him (whereas we, as finite beings, need to be named). so us naming God isn't giving Him power, it's just giving Him access. He is limited not by Himself and his abilities, but by our humanness (when He is limited at all). so by naming, we give our Lord access. i know i don't say much more than Spirit, Lord, God, Jesus or Christ when referring to YHWH, but i should.

korey_cooper_jr
10-09-2005, 06:21 PM
I dunno if this has anything to do with what you are talking about but its cool.

That's exactly what I thought of too. We have that poster hanging up in our Sunday School class.

fryingpan
10-11-2005, 01:45 PM
my favorite on that list is Dayspring

korey_cooper_jr
10-19-2005, 10:25 AM
I really love Bright Morning Star....so beautiful...

panhead_91
10-19-2005, 12:21 PM

I have that poster in my room and yes that what i thought of also

theelectric3
10-19-2005, 12:46 PM
He is limited not by Himself and his abilities, but by our humanness (when He is limited at all). so by naming, we give our Lord access. i know i don't say much more than Spirit, Lord, God, Jesus or Christ when referring to YHWH, but i should.

i agree.

i just did this thread because it blew me away at just how complex, majestic, holy...and yet personable our Lord is. to see how He really is our all in all, and just to study throughout the Bible as to how He revealed Himself to us.

and i also believe He is so much more than we can even begin to contain to a list of descriptive words. but it is a compelling realization nonetheless. :)

skynes
10-20-2005, 04:31 AM
Something I've found cool is the list I've read of all the names god is called in the Old Testament, then Jesus being called the same names in the New Testament.

frymeskillet
10-20-2005, 09:10 AM
i remember that poster it was in my sunday school clas well i was like 7. but my favorite name for him is not on the poster, but its DAY STAR. one song with it is a pretty old song, it goes "Day Star shine down on me, let your light shine through me in the night" and some other pretty words but i dont remember them all.

unshakeable15
10-22-2005, 05:13 PM
what's even cooler is that we can name God, giving Him even more power in our lives (see my post above).

i'm not saying you should call God Shaun because you really liked "Shaun of the Dead" and how he was a hero in that movie. but, what i am saying is that you can call God a name that is special to you that isn't in the Bible, like "Joy Giver," "Namer," "Star-maker" or endless others.

drumchick101
10-25-2005, 03:47 PM
ya, i love how God is personal to each one of us in a different way. how you can call him the same thing all your life but then *whap!* The Holy Spirit hits you smack in the head w/ a 2 by 4. then, the word you've used for God since you could talk could mean so much out of [what seems to be] nowhere. it goes from nothing to everything you breathe for in just one revelation. to me, God is just Dad. this means so much that i can't even begin to explain it. i'll save you guys considering that might be a mighty long post lol

><sarah><

amodman
11-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Err, just so ya'alls know Yaweh/Yaveh (trans-literated for pronunciation ;) is the the name of God in ancient Jewish tradition. I'm not saying that the name Yaweh is God (Old Jewish belief is also that we only see a "picture" of God rather than god himself, as he is so much more than our minds can comprehend), but rather that is the name God gave the ancient Israelites; and as for another factoid every time you see The LORD all in caps like that in the Bible that is one translation method used for Yaweh (it's a difficult Hebrew word, hence, the now common LORD), so as you can see it is used quite a lot.

lamb_servant72
11-05-2005, 03:48 AM
i'm currently re-reading Madeleline L'Engle's "Walking on Water" which has a bit on names (and i just finished her "A Wind in the Door", which also talks about it).

basically, there is power in a name. there is power in naming as well. to name is to love, to love name.

to pigeonhole, to stereotype, to typecast, all are to un-name someone.

now, my own thoughts are that God is love, so God doesn't need us to name Him (whereas we, as finite beings, need to be named). so us naming God isn't giving Him power, it's just giving Him access. He is limited not by Himself and his abilities, but by our humanness (when He is limited at all). so by naming, we give our Lord access. i know i don't say much more than Spirit, Lord, God, Jesus or Christ when referring to YHWH, but i should.

This is so good, I just had to repost the whole thing.

I'm glad to know that about the L'Engle books, Mike. We read the first one in that series as a family, but now I'm interested in doing the whole series!

TheFireBreathes
11-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Isnt another name for God, Jah? Becasue when I used to go on the P.O.D boards they all would say "Jah bless" and stuff.

drumchick101
11-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Maybe "Jah" is short for "Jahovah"

><sarah><

TheFireBreathes
11-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Hmm, now that could be

unshakeable15
11-06-2005, 02:53 PM
i've heard that "Jah" is the Jamacian word for God. but don't quote me.

Lisa, i'm glad i could get you further into the series. she's seriously an amazing author. :)

lamb_servant72
11-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Yes, I have read "A Wrinkle in Time" many times since elementary school, to my children, my students,...

We couldn't find the second book, so we skipped ahead, (our library only has three of them) and my children lost interest. I need to try again to find #2.

Sorry, off topic.

oneway
12-01-2005, 06:40 PM

hey thats cool! i have that poster too! its areal good poster!

weebird20
12-08-2005, 03:12 AM
Hebrews 12:29
For our God is a consuming fire.

i like that name....