lamb_servant72
10-10-2005, 06:50 AM
I am wondering why God says in Exodus 20:4 (among others) that the Israelites couldn't make any likeness of what is in heaven or on earth, yet He tells them in Exodus 25 to make cherubim out of gold for the ark of the covenant.

I'm thinking it was because the images weren't for the purpose of worshipping them. (I also realize 20:4 wasn't referring to the spiritual Heaven.) Any thoughts?

skynes
10-10-2005, 07:00 AM
It says in the verse not to make anything in heaven or on earth, to bow down and worship them.

The problem wasn't with the images, the problem is with the worshipping it.

unshakeable15
10-10-2005, 06:47 PM
altho, when it comes to God, the problem does come in making images of Him.

i heard a sermon a couple years ago about that same verse, and the preacher said the point to it was, yes, not to worship images, but more than that as well. remember, the verse before it says to not have any other gods before the LORD. so, making a graven image and worshipping it would be redundant, right? not if that graven image was of the LORD, or what they imagined Him to look like.

God didn't want the Israelites to confine Him to one image. He's not just a Father, or the Lord Almighty, or a Shepard, or a million other things. basically the command is saying, our images cannot contain all that is the LORD, so don't even try.

NightCrawler
10-11-2005, 08:28 AM
cough crosses cough

skynes
10-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Crosses aren't God. Nor do mostp eople who have them worship them ;)

Not everyone who worships a false God worships a statue. Some people worship themselves, so I don't think the first commandment is redundant. God covered every base, don't worship anything other than Him, don't make a statue of Him to worship it. Also a graven image may not be a god. It may be of a person or an angel.

unshakeable15
10-12-2005, 12:12 PM
cough crosses cough
some people seem to worship the cross, don't they? but we also shouldn't take the Mormon extreme and say "no images!" (Muslim's do the same, but they don't even do images of people. their art is confined to designs and fancified lettering.) the cross should simply be a reminder. we need to think of it more as an electric chair than as a symbol of God. it's a death trap that God hung on for Love's sake.

NightCrawler
10-12-2005, 01:01 PM
(re: unshakeable)

Amen.