alorian
10-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Well, if there's something that's controversial in ANY way, it'll probably appear here in mars hill, right? Well people have different views on this, so I'm putting it here. It's not to turn into an inappropriate dialogue, which it probably has some risk of becoming...

I've been thinking about this alot in the past year, and Liz's (pinkgoo) siggy had the general idea.

When someone calls a girl "hot", he's looking at her body, am I not right? Here in America, "hot" means sexy etc. If one comments on a girl, calling her "hot", then he's either had a lustful eye on her, or should go get a bucket of ice.

Lust is sinful, and that goes without saying, so we won't go into that discussion. So, if we as Christians are going around calling people "hot", and that goes for girls calling guys hot, too, then they're partaking in lustful thoughts etc, so therefore shouldn't be using that word.

Instead, we should be looking at their inside beauty. Their hearts and souls. Physical features can be an added bonus, but God created us all, and all that matters to Him are our hearts, and that's the view we should have, too.

newday_7
10-19-2005, 08:02 PM
I agree that lust is wrong, and i agree that when most guys call a girl "hot" they are usually thinking lustfully, but it is not wrong to apprciate someones beauty, girl's are made by GOD and He makes wonderful things. so some guys might be able to call girls "hot" without thinking lustfully, they might just be ackknowledging the the beauty of one of God's creations. But, i do usually don't use the word "hot" because of how most people use it plus it kinda would remind me of the lustful things, so i sualy use words like "beautiful" or "pretty" and stuff like that

theelectric3
10-19-2005, 09:51 PM
when i hear someone described as "hot" (guy or girl) i take it as a term to describe someone's exterior...viewing someone as an object, as a piece of meat.

that's just my personal conviction.

lamb_servant72
10-20-2005, 02:54 AM
Hey Newday, I know what you are saying, I think we can appreciate beauty in things God created without lusting. I appreciate the beauty of my children, my dog, trees. There was a guy I dated that everybody thought was "hot". I use to tell him that God did a great job when He formed him in his mother's womb! I guess that's a way to tell someone you appreciate their physical beauty and let them know at the same time you are not lusting!

PinkGoo
10-20-2005, 03:19 AM
its also hard for us girls to deal with lust, you know... so many girls just blurt out words like "hot" and "sexy" whenever they see an attractive guy. and if you're using words like that, then your mind probably is thinking about things it shouldn't have been.

i also know that i have, personally, said things like "Yeah, he's pretty cute" or "Yeah, he's hot" without thinking lustful thoughts. it takes alot of self control and using those words are probably a bad choice anyway. (For instance, it may provoke lustful thoughts in the friends you are with at that time, etc...) I don't know how to explain exactly what went on in my head during those times, i mean, if i wasn't thinking lustfull thoughts... then what was i thinking? it was kind of like... "Yeah, from here it looks like he's got a really nice body, but who know what he's like on the inside."

so, lately (since i added my siggy) i've been trying to keep away from using words like "hot" or "sexy". i think it's not that you can't admire someone's looks occasionally... but just not with the usually twisted persepective of man. look at God's creation, say "wow", and move on. ;)

skynes
10-20-2005, 04:30 AM
Bouncing your eyes... A very difficult thing to do.

I heavily resent the world's attitudes to guys and girls. Giving people this 'idea' on what beautiful is.

6'2" girl, blonde hair and thin as a rake...

What they leave out? These 'beautiful' supermodels are paranoid, miserable and anorexic.

And now all these girls worldwide now think "I am ugly because I am not like this supermodels" then they start going paranoid, miserable and anorexic.

*fume... rant... rage... Launch nuclear middile at those demons responsible*

Cornflake
10-20-2005, 07:15 AM
Hot is terminalogy. So is "cool". Its not going to change, unless its just replaced by another word ( ie. "fine" )

If I say a girl is hot, than that means I'm attracted to her. It doesn't mean I'm raping her with my eyes/mind.

Cornflake
10-20-2005, 07:17 AM
Oh yeah, for the record, I tend to call my girlfriends beautiful. They amaze me. ( each one, respectively, I don't have more than one at a time ;) The girl I'm talking to know is attractive, yes, but she's so much more than that. She's got a great sense of humor, and shes so smart. Smarter than me for sure. And her goals, and her morals.. I am utterly blown away by her.

NightCrawler
10-20-2005, 08:45 AM
6'2" girl, blonde hair and thin as a rake...
I am thinking more like a 5'4'', brown haired, generally skinny... but not a rail.

ANyway.... saying someone is hot does not equal lust. Kind of like alcohol does not equal sexual immorality or brawling. It can definitely help lead up to it though.

skynes
10-20-2005, 10:01 AM
I am thinking more like a 5'4'', brown haired, generally skinny... but not a rail.

I was just using a stereotype :P

aliengurl7
10-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Okay, should someone say "she/he's attractive" and think the same thoughts? whats the diffrence, but the word chosen to describe the thought. Its our thoughts thats the problem.

Cornflake
10-20-2005, 11:53 AM
The point is, it's not a sin to say someones hot! Because basically, you're just saying a more modern version of attractive. And its not a sin to say someones attractive. If it was, I better just put my eyes out now. I agree with Michelle.

skelfy
10-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Okay, should someone say "she/he's attractive" and think the same thoughts? whats the diffrence, but the word chosen to describe the thought. Its our thoughts thats the problem.

I have to agree with that. Yeah so I could refrain from saying 'He is so hot' or 'He's sexy' and instead say 'He has a gorgeous face or a good body or...' It seems the same in my eyes because your head is still going in that direction.

alorian
10-20-2005, 03:09 PM
The point is, it's not a sin to say someones hot! Because basically, you're just saying a more modern version of attractive. And its not a sin to say someones attractive. If it was, I better just put my eyes out now. I agree with Michelle.

Hmmmm...

Around where I live, and also on tv, whenever a guy calls a girl hot, he's not calling her attractive, but a sexy piece of meat. Yeah, I can look at girls' beauty without lustful thoughts and think "Wow, she's beautiful", but not go further into it. But, if I'm with my friends, and they say "Wow, that at that hot chick over there. Maaaaaaa-aaaan!" They're not thinking about beauty, but - the sexiness of the woman, the root word being sex.

Therefore, based on my exp, the word "hot" is most widely used not to explain a girl's beauty, but on how she rates on the "meat" scale.

(For the record, i didn't say i never lust, that'd be a lie, but i said that it's possible to look at another's beauty and not lust)

skelfy
10-20-2005, 04:09 PM
I guess it can be possible but what I'm saying is I don't think about restricting myself from saying those things. Regardless of whether I should or not, I just don't. *shrugs*

Cornflake
10-20-2005, 05:51 PM
And what I'm saying, I guess, is I don't think of girls as " a piece of meat"

kasicalover
10-20-2005, 06:31 PM
I try not to say someone is hot or sexy. If I think a guy is attractive I'll usually say he's cute or adorable. It's perfectly fine to notice someone is attractive as long as you're understanding that they are a child of God and they are His beautiful creation.

BarlowgIRL
10-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Ppl tell me that I'll eventually like guys and think they are cute. But aroud here guys just don't have the all I am looking for. Like one guy will have a nice body and then the face ruins it. So I say he is hott, yes to describe his body. And there is this guy at my church that is so hot, I like his hair his eyes, everything, but I don't know his personality so it stays at hot. And cute doesn't mean just the face either. Some pix of John I will look at and say "wow he's hot!" Others "cute" some "gorgeous" and then there are others where I am like" He is an aweosme man" and not think of attractiveness. So for me it is a matter of whether or not I their personality. And for the record I am not in love with John I was merely using him as an example. But Korey did swipe an awesome man.

NightCrawler
10-20-2005, 06:52 PM
I was just using a stereotype :P
I know, ... but I almost edited my post after I left the library... but then would've been late for work. Anyway... I meant to say that I was more thinking of that as attractive. Yours was the stereotype, and fits exactly what everyone seems to want to be here at CMU.

NightCrawler
10-20-2005, 06:53 PM
And what I'm saying, I guess, is I don't think of girls as " a piece of meat"
Yeah, my sister is starting to get into a bad habit of calling any guy that is remotely good looking 'HOTT!!!!'... And I was telling her men are not a piece of meat, and she should try to get away from that kind of thinking.

alorian
10-20-2005, 07:46 PM
CornFlake (can't remember your name, graaarrggh man, i wanna say mike? raaah, I'll figure it out) i didn't mean it that way, just to let you know. this discussion can get dangerously close to semantics, as can they all, but what i'm saying is that a majority of people in the US, for that's the country i know, when using the word "hot", are referring to a piece of meat.

I was inspired to start this discussion 'cause someone said that they'd do something for a girl if she was hot.

bob
10-20-2005, 10:04 PM
I don't use the word hot because I believe that if that is the only adjective I can use to describe a girl, then I don't deserve one.

PinkGoo
10-21-2005, 05:41 AM
wow, that's a good way to look at it.

yeah, i agree with Seth, 100%. when most guys look at a girl and say "Wow, she's freaking hot!" they definately aren't thinking of her as a person... they probably don't even know her. (ie: random person in the mall, movie star on television, someone else they don't know, etc...) they are thinking of her as piece of meat... on a scale, how much pleasure they could get from her body.

it goes for most girls too... they look at a guy, exclaim how hot he is, and are most likely thinking (if they are like any of the girls i've seen) about how great it would be to have a boyfriend that good-looking they could mess with.

Cornflake
10-21-2005, 08:02 AM
Yeah Seth, Its Michael. Also, I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just putting in my personal view. Bob is right about the adjective thing too. Also, for the record, around here, most of us don't say hot, we say fine. "That girl is so fine" and yes we mean her looks. But the "finest" girl we know is the biggest .. eh.. you know, that we know. We'll just say she doesn't have a good personality . But when your a guy, and you see a knock out girl, you really have to be God centered to atleast not even think WOW! much less say it. I sorta think its human nature.

frymeskillet
10-21-2005, 08:21 AM
i would have to definitely agree with some things and disagree with some things. i do agree that guys often label a girl by her looks, for instance, me, i consider myself a likeable person and maybe somewhat attractive, but i am often labeled as "the fat chick" by most guys when i first meet them. i can see it in their eyes. and until i get to know that person, who is generally a jerk on the inside too whether theyre "hot" or not, they might still consider me unattractive. and you know what? im perfectly fine with that. i have cetain insecurities and everybody does, but i know that theyre the ones who are missing out. i get so tired of hearing guys (ecspecially my brothers and guy friends) who see a girl in the mall or at the gas station (!!!) they say, man that girl is hot, or some stupid inuendo (ie: I'd pump her gas!)(excuse the vulgarity) i often yell at them for it and they still continue to do it...
well im not all that innocent... as you can see by my siggy, i love kasey kahne. and yes i often refer to him as sexy, hot, gorgeous, etc. BUT, i said that at first and then i did some realizing through study and other things that he has a wonderful personality. no i dont know him, but i have listened to interviews, and you can tell when someone is genuine. even with all of his instant fame, he has remained humble, ive even heard his friends in certain interviews say so. quote " His top priorities in life are not fame, he cares more about his family and friends than any money or fame he recieves." unquote. so now i feel i can say that kasey kahne is attractive, in his personality and his looks.
but this post isnt about kasey kahne or me. it is about the fact that we over-use the word "hot". i tend to agree with james(bob) on the fact that if a say that word, then i dont deserve them. but i also agree with michael(cornflake)on the fact that i am agknowledging the beauty that God has created. well that was a mouth full. :)

-Savannah-
(AKA electricskillet)

drumchick101
10-21-2005, 08:54 AM
haha, at a youth convention about 3 or 4 yrs ago there were some girls there from my yoth group who were "guy watching" & they told me "ull get guy crazy someday". im 17 & ya....still not going to malls to "guy watch" & honestly,id rather bird watch. but i just dont see generally good looking guys as "hott" right away. ya, i reconize their bodies as attractive but, that doesn't really attact me all that much. for instance, there is this guy on my running team who had his shirt off when we were all doing crunches & all the girls were drooling over his abs. ya, they were hot i guess, but that just doesn't seem to lure me in.

i feel that the inner will refelct in the outter. for instance, i was never all that attracted to that guy w/ the abs, but i did have a hrad time with this other guy who was just being himself and is on fire for God. he played me a worship song that he wrote & it blew me away. now, yes that sounds cheesy clasic chistian girl but it reely did blow me away. & the thing is that he's kinda pudgy & a teddy bear type guy but is did even see his outter layer as attractive b/c his inner personality is so amazing. now, dont get me wrong that im this perfect little girl that never stumbles. yes, i have had my flesh jump out when it came to physical attraction but thats generally how i feel.

><sarah><

Cornflake
10-21-2005, 09:17 AM
Theres nothing wrong with us teddy bear types :)

TheFireBreathes
10-21-2005, 11:35 AM
wow, that's a good way to look at it.

yeah, i agree with Seth, 100%. when most guys look at a girl and say "Wow, she's freaking hot!" they definately aren't thinking of her as a person... they probably don't even know her. (ie: random person in the mall, movie star on television, someone else they don't know, etc...) they are thinking of her as piece of meat... on a scale, how much pleasure they could get from her body.

Well then what are you supposed to say if you see someone who is attractive looking. I know you could say "pretty" or "cute" but what Im saying is that you are implying that all guys who see a girl and say shes hot mean they are talking about her body. Which I dissagree. I believe the word is used different for everyone and there is no actual meaning as in "hot" is used to describe someones body.

When people say the word "dude", are they actually implying that it means 'hair on an elephants butt' or whatever. No. Its just another word to describe something.

PinkGoo
10-21-2005, 12:11 PM
i definately agree that "hot" means something different to everyone. (it has a COMPLETELY different definition to me, personally, at least.) but i'm talking about MOST guys... especailly non-christian ones. because at least most of the guys i know aren't thinking about the person as a whole, (personality, beauty, spiritual releationship, etc) they are thinking of just the body and the pleasure they could have with a body like that.

there is a distinct difference between admiring a person's God-given physical beauty and just thinking lustfully about their body in a sexual way.

Pretendeavor
10-21-2005, 12:27 PM
ah i dont think when ppl call a girl the wanna just have sex thats like kind of extream. i admit i call random girls hot and even the friends that i have that are girls hot and i throw a mix of your preety and for the ones i serious love i use beautiful.

fryingpan
10-21-2005, 12:47 PM
to me saying someones hot is something you say with your freinds and when your jokeing and stuff. If im trying to complimant a gal i would say different adjectives like pretty beautiful cute stuff like that...

bobbi
10-21-2005, 02:33 PM
^I like that.
I don't like being called hot and I usually think that it's a little disrespectful when I hear it. I'd rather be called beautiful or pretty...it just has a much stronger meaning to me. I'm not bashing on anyone that calls people 'hot', it just doesn't sound right to me.

PinkGoo
10-21-2005, 04:11 PM
oh yeah... i would MUCH rather be complimented as pretty or beautiful. hot is condescending, in my opinion. now that i think of it, what should we girls compliment the guys with? ..handsome? i have no clue what you guys like to be refered to as.

Pretendeavor
10-21-2005, 04:50 PM
oh yeah... i would MUCH rather be complimented as pretty or beautiful. hot is condescending, in my opinion. now that i think of it, what should we girls compliment the guys with? ..handsome? i have no clue what you guys like to be refered to as.

haha me in honest opion "sexy" or "hot" or "cuteie" or "rad". handsome seems so blah prepish and gayish.

PinkGoo
10-21-2005, 05:26 PM
i thought we were trying to avoid using "hot" and "sexy"...

Pretendeavor
10-21-2005, 05:28 PM
i thought we were trying to avoid using "hot" and "sexy"...
well than i dunno what to tell you.

TheFireBreathes
10-21-2005, 08:58 PM

I wouldn't mind being called beautiful :azn: :)

NightCrawler
10-21-2005, 11:09 PM
O_0.... A beautiful man.

korey_cooper_jr
10-22-2005, 02:55 AM
O_0.... A beautiful man.

Haha, I see nothing wrong with that ;)

bobbi
10-22-2005, 06:42 AM
Haha I like that. I call guys pretty sometimes... :-X :)

PinkGoo
10-22-2005, 06:45 AM
no seriously... like if i had a boyfriend, and we were talking and i decided to compliment him by saying something like, "You are so beautiful" would he look at me like a freak??

unshakeable15
10-22-2005, 05:00 PM
i'm a language nut. i like it. i even get a weekly email from a website entitled the Wide World of Words. crazy be me. :azn:

so, when someone says something like "when i say 'hot' i don't mean it in the sense most people do" i have a problem with it.

the point of language is to be able to communicate with one another. to that end, when i say "dinner knife" you should get a mental picture in your head of something you use to cut your food at the dinner table. when i say "fork" you can get the idea of either something used in eating that same food, or of a road that splits into two or more. but, if i say "knife and fork" probably won't wonder why i'm talking about a cutting utensil in the middle of the road.

so what does that mean? it means our words are just ways to illustrate an idea as a whole. they (generally) mean something near the same thing to different people.

when it comes to slang, it's a bit harder. here in northern California, we have a word we use that everyone new to the area thinks is the weirdest thing: hecka. as in, "that movie was hecka good. i want to see it again." as far as i know, it's native to norCal, so not many others know of it. so that's one slang word that's hard to understand the true meaning of (outside of context, of course).

other slang words are about the same. even ones that span locals, like "cool" or "tight" or "gnarly" do. each person has a bit of a different meaning when they say that word. but, to make things easier, there are things like dictionaries, to help the unknown word (or word usage) become known to whomever.

wikipedia.com also had a few definitions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot). the one that's applicable says "Slang adjective describing something or someone that is sexually attractive and/or provocative."

your internal dictionary may differ, but if someone else's doesn't, should you use the word and have them think you are using it in the provative or sexual sense?

(i would have used an actual slang dictionary as my source, but some of the examples or definitions were too sexual for the boards.)

Maddog
10-22-2005, 05:05 PM
when i hear someone described as "hot" (guy or girl) i take it as a term to describe someone's exterior...viewing someone as an object, as a piece of meat.

that's just my personal conviction.
me too...when ppl say that to me...its usuallly a drive by car...or some random guy i walk past....for me "hott" is discrimnating...there is no value when someone calls me "hott" because it happens to often with strangers who are just looking at my curve...but pretty or beautiful has a value..its like they see me as a delicate gift from God, not a girl with curves

NightCrawler
10-22-2005, 06:44 PM
i'm a language nut. i like it. i even get a weekly email from a website entitled the Wide World of Words. crazy be me. :azn:

so, when someone says something like "when i say 'hot' i don't mean it in the sense most people do" i have a problem with it.

the point of language is to be able to communicate with one another. to that end, when i say "dinner knife" you should get a mental picture in your head of something you use to cut your food at the dinner table. when i say "fork" you can get the idea of either something used in eating that same food, or of a road that splits into two or more. but, if i say "knife and fork" probably won't wonder why i'm talking about a cutting utensil in the middle of the road.

so what does that mean? it means our words are just ways to illustrate an idea as a whole. they (generally) mean something near the same thing to different people.
I want to have a choir whenever I say this....

Amen.

as~i~lay~dying
10-22-2005, 07:43 PM
When someone calls a girl "hot", he's looking at her body, am I not right? Here in America, "hot" means sexy etc. If one comments on a girl, calling her "hot", then he's either had a lustful eye on her, or should go get a bucket of ice.

Instead, we should be looking at their inside beauty. Their hearts and souls. Physical features can be an added bonus, but God created us all, and all that matters to Him are our hearts, and that's the view we should have, too.

i really liked what you had to say here...its so good to know that there are decent normal guys out there...i wish sum lived up here! even in my small christian school NOONE thinks like this.......sure being called hot makes you feel good about your bod or whatever but it makes me feel.....looked at in a gross way and like a sexual object rather than a person.

Cornflake
10-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Well, I'm 17, and I have sucessfully managed to hold on to my virgin status. For me to say hot in the sense that I want to.. tear it up.. doesn't make sense.

If its a girl I don't know, yeah, hot = hot face/body or overall attractiveness. But when I say beautiful, I mean it as a whole, body and heart.

PinkGoo
10-23-2005, 05:47 AM
If its a girl I don't know, yeah, hot = hot face/body or overall attractiveness. But when I say beautiful, I mean it as a whole, body and heart.EXACTLY! That is competely my way of thinking... "Beautiful" is such a better, overall word for complimenting someone. It talks about not only their looks, but their heart and everything else, too...

sure being called hot makes you feel good about your bod or whatever but it makes me feel.....looked at in a gross way and like a sexual object rather than a person.Geez, I need to learn to write my thoughts out as clearly as these guys. :)

kasicalover
10-23-2005, 10:27 AM
I personally don't like being complimented at all by people I don't know. because if I don't know you I don't know where your heart is at. It just makes me uncomfortable if some random person compliments me. Even if they were to say I was beautiful or cute, I just don't like it. I only really appreciate compliments when they're from people I know and when they can look me straight in the eye and tell me.

completely_nuts
10-23-2005, 01:10 PM
^ exactly. it's scary when strange people at walmart do that.

and call me crazy, but I really prefer not to be complimented at all. It's just really uncomfortable to know that people are paying attention to me. ::]

drumchick101
10-23-2005, 01:27 PM
"Beautiful" is such a better, overall word for complimenting someone.

ya, i have actually never been complemented all that much on my looks. but a father figure in my life once said the i was beautiful & that he loved to see me grow & change. just hearing the word "beautiful" in my direction fattered me indescribably. i don't think anyone has ever called me "hott" exept maybe once & they meant in a very degrading way. sooo...ya, i like beautiful better but if i knew the guy had good intentions i wouldn't mind if he said i was hott.

><sarah><

NightCrawler
10-23-2005, 01:48 PM
What about people that say that girls are beautiful? Like, the older generation. When they have only seen the girl's looks, not their character?

PinkGoo
10-23-2005, 02:12 PM
i don't MIND when people compliment me. it's nice to hear something positive about yourself from other people, but it is a little awkward in knowing how to respond. i mean, do you just say "Oh, thank you" and smile? or do you kind of deny the compliment and laugh?

as~i~lay~dying
10-23-2005, 04:32 PM
^ i gues...i hate it to cuz i feel like if i say that(thankyou) theyll think i think im beautiful(or whatver comment they made)

alorian
10-23-2005, 04:37 PM
i don't MIND when people compliment me. it's nice to hear something positive about yourself from other people, but it is a little awkward in knowing how to respond. i mean, do you just say "Oh, thank you" and smile? or do you kind of deny the compliment and laugh?

Ha, I hear that. If you say "thanks" I get the feeling I'm being vain or proud, so usually I just joke around, like if someone says "hey, you're a pretty cute guy," I puff out and act pretty vain for about six seconds :azn: , then laugh it off, say "nah, not really", and change the subject, or turn it on 'em to make THEM feel uncomfortable :evil:

Haha, useless info, have fun tonight kids ;)

drumchick101
10-23-2005, 05:07 PM
i guess id just recieve the complement. if they take the time to give it i might as well recieve it politley. this is unless they are being clearly vulger or just plain stupid (you know what i mean)& in that case i would threaten to kick them where it hurts. ok ok, mayb im too nice for that but i wouldn't take it, thats for sure.

><sarah><

kasicalover
10-23-2005, 07:32 PM
In a case where I actually appreciate it as explained earlier I would just genuinely say thank you. There has been one time that a man I truly respect said I was beautiful. Thats the only time I've ever truly appreciated it. We had just finished talking about God and we had poured our hearts out to eachother. We sat in silence for short time and he just looked at me and said I was a beautiful woman. It completely shocked me and I really didn't know what to say, so I just said thanks. he smiled and then hugged me. Thats the only time I've ever truly felt appreciated and loved genuinely by a human. He revealed to me the fullness of Gods love, and just being in His presence that night. These are the situations where compliments actually mean something to me. When you know me in my high points and in my darkest times and can still look me in the eye, and tell me I am beautiful. Thats when i know you care, and thats when I take to heart all that you say. Any others comments I just ignore.

BarlowgIRL
10-23-2005, 07:53 PM
I know you could say "pretty" or "cute"
I know for me I don't like when a guy says I'm "cute".I just think he's not looking at the real me.but that's just me.

cute*sweetie*18
10-23-2005, 09:04 PM
i dont mind if its someone im comfertable with and there respectful and they say i looked nice or pretty i dont like it when guys i dont even know is like your hott or something it feels degrading but i like when someone who has the best of intentions says im beautiful because it makes me feel good about myslef cuz i know there thinking of the whole me not just whats on the outside on the other hand im not one for complimenting guys on there looks so much like its ok to appreaciate them and stuff but id probley just say they looked nice today or something or i like ur shirt, im more likely to say who they are is beautiful but ya thats just me

Cornflake
10-24-2005, 08:34 AM
I just hate when I compliment a girl and she thinks Im just sucking up and wanting something.

aliengurl7
10-24-2005, 12:56 PM
you probably are. JK Some girls are like that thinking every guy on the planet wants them.

fryingpan
10-24-2005, 01:15 PM
back to the discussion of what to call guys i wouldnt mind being plain ol' good lookin or beautiful but hott...no not diggin it

alorian
10-24-2005, 02:30 PM
I've been called hot before, though probably unwarranted, and at first it feels sorta nice, but it's really a hollow compliment. It's not really a compliment to what you did, just how you look. Where's the accomplishment in that? It makes me, anyway, feel like I'm not being seen for who I am, just what I look like. (I wish I was warranting of the "good-looking" status, but mediocre's not bad ;) )

fryingpan
10-24-2005, 03:05 PM
yeah me too ^^^ im not the best lookin but it would be nice at least better than hot

Bassplayer
10-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Hot is terminalogy. So is "cool". Its not going to change, unless its just replaced by another word ( ie. "fine" )

If I say a girl is hot, than that means I'm attracted to her. It doesn't mean I'm raping her with my eyes/mind.
I agree totally. if i call a girl "hot" i mean attractive or pretty. i don't start mentally undressing her the moment i see her. that's taking judgement too far if you say that eveyone is lustful when they use the word "hot" to describe a person. who are we to judge people by what they say (if we know them or not)? It is not our place. what the person means when they say the word "hot" is fully between that person and God. "Hot" does seem to be used to describe someone physically. But we can only be sure what we mean when we say it. that's my spin on it.

bobbi
10-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Yes but are you going to explain that everytime you call someone hot? By reading over this thread, it seems that most people's first reaction to the term 'hot' isn't a good one. I dunno.

Bassplayer
10-24-2005, 03:49 PM
of course i'm not going to explain everytime i say it. but, we need to stop judgeing people who do say "hot" because we don't know what they mean. I'm just sayin that we need to examen what we mean when we use the word "hot." let others examen themselves. it's between the person and God.

alorian
10-24-2005, 03:53 PM

your internal dictionary may differ, but if someone else's doesn't, should you use the word and have them think you are using it in the provative or sexual sense?

Your internal dictionary may differ but if someone else's doesn't, should you use the word and have them think you are using it in the provacitive or sexual sense?

You'd have to explain it everytime you used the word, and that gets VERY tedious. We're to be examples to the world, a "city on a hill". If we use these words and don't explain ourselves, then what message are we sending? That we're just like the world. Though it might not be true, that's the perception the world gets of us. Thus it's better NOT to use these words at all.

lamb_servant72
10-24-2005, 03:54 PM
it's really a hollow compliment. It's not really a compliment to what you did, just how you look. Where's the accomplishment in that?

It's definintely not the most desirous of compliments. I usually say, "Thanks, I've got great genes, you should see my Grandmother!"

BarlowgIRL
10-24-2005, 04:10 PM
i like when someone who has the best of intentions says im beautiful
The only ppl who tell me that are the adults I've known all my life and are convinced that I am pretty.No one my age has ever told me that.So by todays view I'm not beautiful. But oh well I'm fine with me and if you don't like it world FORGET YOU!

alorian
10-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Haha, that's a good one lisa :)

theelectric3
10-24-2005, 09:16 PM
You'd have to explain it everytime you used the word, and that gets VERY tedious. We're to be examples to the world, a "city on a hill". If we use these words and don't explain ourselves, then what message are we sending? That we're just like the world. Though it might not be true, that's the perception the world gets of us. Thus it's better NOT to use these words at all.

i agree. i am reminded of the times Paul encourages the body of Christ to place others before them. the word 'hott' may not offend you but if it offends someone else, then it's best not to use it. like bobbi pointed out, most people (based on this thread) when they hear the word are troubled by it.

[and i know some people might shrug it off and think that's just being to weird...but the basis for my personal conviction comes from 1 Corinthians 10:23-33.]

the first two verses (i won't type it all out, but i encourage anyone interested to read it over) say:

"All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify. Let no one see his own, but each other's well-being."

bobbi
10-25-2005, 03:08 AM

I definitely agree with that.

NightCrawler
10-25-2005, 08:37 AM
Your internal dictionary may differ but if someone else's doesn't, should you use the word and have them think you are using it in the provacitive or sexual sense?

You'd have to explain it everytime you used the word, and that gets VERY tedious. We're to be examples to the world, a "city on a hill". If we use these words and don't explain ourselves, then what message are we sending? That we're just like the world. Though it might not be true, that's the perception the world gets of us. Thus it's better NOT to use these words at all.Mind you, I don't think the world looks at the word 'hot' as bad. They think of it to mean extremely good looking/attractive. I think that this forum is an atypical sample of the world... for we are not of this world. So, must we conform to our own cliques and definitions, or should we use the norm... of the world?

For example, the word 'cool'. Some people, like Supertones' fans may think of the word 'cool' be being snobby and prideful. Should I take offence at the comment my friend gave me, about being cool? (he doesn't listen to Supertones much)

alorian
10-25-2005, 02:06 PM
No, the world looks at "hot" as good. But say a person of the world realizes the hollowness of their own existance, and begin a search for something more, something better than they have. They come across some Christians, because they believe that they may hold an answer for them, but instead find the same thing they have throughout their life in the world. Thus, instead of pursuing the answers Xians know to be true, they'll look somewhere else. Perhaps mormons, hindus, or some other religion that holds false truths. THat's not a good thing.

drumchick101
10-25-2005, 03:38 PM
im w/ seth. we are called to be sanctified, set apart. how i wish this was as easily said as it is done. but i find it to be something that reminds me of how inadiquate it is to be human & to try this in your own efforts. it is something that just happens w/ the light of the holy spirit is on your face and words that the world uses don't some out as readily anymore.

><sarah><

alorian
10-25-2005, 04:28 PM
I was just talking to someone about this, being an example to others, and how hard to do so. Our solution? Spend more time with God, for by ourselves we are nothing, but God gives us strength and what we need to do his work, and be a shining example for others.

EDIT: Whoa!!! *Does a double-take* Never thought this thread would make it to six pages and STILL be on topic!!

NightCrawler
10-25-2005, 11:14 PM
No, the world looks at "hot" as good. But say a person of the world realizes the hollowness of their own existance, and begin a search for something more, something better than they have. They come across some Christians, because they believe that they may hold an answer for them, but instead find the same thing they have throughout their life in the world. Thus, instead of pursuing the answers Xians know to be true, they'll look somewhere else. Perhaps mormons, hindus, or some other religion that holds false truths. THat's not a good thing.Personally, I don't use the term 'hot.' Cute, pretty, beautiful, attractive. Those are the primary words in my vocabulary in that field.

Do christians hold the answer? Or is it God? Who draws them: us, themselves, or God? God is the answer. God draws them/us.

Now, you kinda make a huge jump, they find that we are not perfect, so God stops drawing them and sends them to a different religion? Why would they stick? Because the vast majority of hindus don't call people 'hot'? Now, saying that they find that we use a similar vocabulary, what does that mean? That we are human? That we can communicate on the same level as the people around us?

Am I using too many questions? I generally think I use too many questions. Namely because a lot of people don't answer the questions to themselves and reconcile what they know with what they are saying. I am not saying this about you, I am just saying over the years I have been arguing, I use too many questions for the readers/opponents. I digress.

Still, is a word that pagans use make the word wrong? Does the word's common use mean that we are sinning? Does saying something = what some connotate the thoughts to? If someone says that I am "HAWTT" (never happened, nor expected), will I assume that they are undressing me with their eyes? I do NOT think that. With the word 'sexy' said to me, the the idea might creep into my twisted mind of my body being some kind of intensely desireable object. But I would not assume that. Now, why would I assume that of anyone else? I think it depends on perspective. If you said a girl was 'hot,' would it logically follow (with necessity) that you are lusting after her?

alorian
10-26-2005, 02:43 PM
You misunderstood me, probably because I had no way with words yesterday. I'll just restate what I meant to say instead of explaining myself outright initially... (No worries about asking too many questions, I do too, and I talk way too much ;) )

I typed out a "conversation" type of thing, but it was too tacky.

Say someone realizes their life seems meaningless and empty, so decides that they want to find something more to make their life complete.

God uses people as tools to help bring people to him, right? That's a core part of my arguement, so I just want some agreement there.

He decides that in America, where he lives, Christianity is quite a major religion, so decides to look at answers there. God set a Xian in a cafeteria or whatever at the same time that the "seeker" would be in there, to help lead the seeker to Him.

The Christian, though, isn't acting as he's led to. The seeker is sitting at a table behind him, listening in, because he wants to know the behaviour of Christians to get a feel for what they're like. This guy, he knows, is a Christian, goes to church most Sundays, and leads a Bible study with out people his age.

The Xian, though, isn't acting as he's led to. He's with a bunch of co-workers at his table, and a girl walks by. One of them says "man, she's hot, one of you should ask her out, i'm seeing someone," and the Xian says, "wow, is is pretty hot, look at her walk" or whatever, you know what guys say, and that it isn't appropriate for these boards...

The seeker, though, thinks that this guy is just like any other guy he's met, bent on women. Even if it isn't that extreme, the seeker's image of the man is shattered, and he decides that he wants to look elsewhere for the time being.

That's a very real situation, and has happened. Though it is God leading people to him, he speaks through us to other people. Make sense?

Yes, we are human, and we make mistakes. That's not an argument that I'm trying to make. What I"m saying is that we influence the world around us, and that people watch what we do. Calling people "hot" is just one thing that people relate to worldly people doing.

NightCrawler
10-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Okay, sorry about the misunderstanding.

I guess it comes down to these two things:
1) If you are led in that way, more power to you.
2) If God chose them, they will get saved eventually.
3) Yes, we are to strive for a pure and holy life. I just don't think having the word 'hot' in your vocabulary means you have any less. The thoughts are the problem, not the words. Like, if I say 'I hate you', using the word 'hate' doesn't matter, it is the fact that I hate you that is the problem. I am not sure saying it makes it worse.
4) I am tired of seeing the pseudoword 'Xian'... either type out 'Christian' or... inform me not to read the post (I am exaggerating).
5) I do understand your point now.

alorian
10-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Okay, sorry about the misunderstanding.

I guess it comes down to these two things:
1) If you are led in that way, more power to you.
2) If God chose them, they will get saved eventually.
3) Yes, we are to strive for a pure and holy life. I just don't think having the word 'hot' in your vocabulary means you have any less. The thoughts are the problem, not the words. Like, if I say 'I hate you', using the word 'hate' doesn't matter, it is the fact that I hate you that is the problem. I am not sure saying it makes it worse.
4) I am tired of seeing the pseudoword 'Xian'... either type out 'Christian' or... inform me not to read the post (I am exaggerating).
5) I do understand your point now.

1) As always :) ;)
2) Hahah, we get back into the problem of free will, which is for another thread... And besides, the sooner, the better, because more of God's work will be done.
3) You're right, but other people outside our minds translate things differently and view us as we are not.
4) I'll compromise. When I'm in a discussion or typing something that matters, I'll type out "Christian". Otherwise, I'll save half a second and use the cooler looking "Xian" spelling, for I'm only a psuedoslave to Webster ;)
5) Kewl ;) 8)
6) Oh wait, there wasn't one... Thanks for responding :)

NightCrawler
10-27-2005, 08:27 AM
2) Eh, or rather a contradiction to Predestination. ;) ... And very true.
4) You needn't. And for the record, Webster is not an authority. The dictionary includes words that we have created/incorperated. It adds new ones. The only analogy I can come up with is that the Sabbath is made for man, not the man for the Sabbath.
6) There is one now ;)... Thanks for creating?

Cornflake
10-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Still, is a word that pagans use make the word wrong? Does the word's common use mean that we are sinning? Does saying something = what some connotate the thoughts to? If someone says that I am "HAWTT" (never happened, nor expected), will I assume that they are undressing me with their eyes? I do NOT think that. With the word 'sexy' said to me, the the idea might creep into my twisted mind of my body being some kind of intensely desireable object. But I would not assume that. Now, why would I assume that of anyone else? I think it depends on perspective. If you said a girl was 'hot,' would it logically follow (with necessity) that you are lusting after her?

Exactly. The language we speak is used by the world, does this mean we need to come up with our own language?

And as far as "explaining" everytime we say hot, Im with normally maybe just one friend at any given time, more often by my self, and if I see a very attractive girl, I think "hot" more in my mind then I actually say. What I normally say is "Man, did you see that girl on the other isle?" And I never tell a girl she's "hot". Unless I am just playing around with her , saying stuff like "You're just too hot for me!". Also, I already noted, I use the word "fine" or "beautiful" anyway, although fine more, cause I try to reserve the word beautiful. While she may indeed be physically the 8th wonder of the world, beautiful is a balance of the physical and the rest. And trust me, even if you don't think of a girl as really pretty at first, if you fall in love with her, and you really love her, you'll come to adore her, and she really will be beautiful to you

One on one, if its a girl I know but not too well, I tell her how cute I think she is, even if I think she's amazingly beautiful, because , trust me, girls will laugh at you in your face if you call them beautiful and its not the right time. A little closer.. I use pretty. Then when I am close to a girl, I tell her what I've been wanting to tell her all along. Even if she doesn't think she is, or anyone else, for that matter, I still think it.

alorian
10-27-2005, 12:42 PM
2) Eh, or rather a contradiction to Predestination. ;) ... And very true.
4) You needn't. And for the record, Webster is not an authority. The dictionary includes words that we have created/incorperated. It adds new ones. The only analogy I can come up with is that the Sabbath is made for man, not the man for the Sabbath.
6) There is one now ;)... Thanks for creating?

2) Yeah, the predestination thing.... My VERY BROAD idea on this is that God does have a "plan" for us, but we don't have to follow it... but that's for another thread...

NightCrawler
10-27-2005, 06:28 PM
2) Yeah, the predestination thing.... My VERY BROAD idea on this is that God does have a "plan" for us, but we don't have to follow it... but that's for another thread...
Then why did you reply about it in this thread? ;)

alorian
10-28-2005, 04:19 PM
1) You'll be sure to read it here
2) I like going off topic :P
3) Errr, felt like it?

deadb4dawn
11-08-2005, 09:24 AM
i can see were u all come from. like sayn "hot" dose not just mean you want them. but it could lead to that. it depends on the person that says it, and how they say it. but i see both sides of the situation.