Day of Fire Fan
10-25-2005, 06:55 PM
The other day, I went to buy a c.d, I brought it, then thought of the starving children in india, cambodia etc, the people that lost everything in Hurricane Katrina, people who lost family in the boxing day tsunami, fallow military personal who have been killed in iraq. I could have used that money to help out those people. I dont know why, but its been eating away at me for ages. the bible says to help those in need, but how far do we really need to go? Do we give absolutly everything away, so we have nothing ourselves? Or do we give 'what we can'? Just a thought....

Mr. Xcitement
10-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Well, days and ages have changed a lot since the days that the Bible was written. Unfortunately these days it's almost impossible to get by without money, and so it is impossible to give everything to those in need, but remember, money isn't all you can give, say if you plan on cleaning out a closet, instead of throwing out clothes, donate them, old toys or what ever you plan on getting rid of, you could donate. And for something like buying a cd, God wants us to be happy, I mean, I can't say what He would want you to do, I'm sure he'd rather you buy a christian cd than say one full of swearing and stuff. Also, you could do missionary trips to those areas or volunteer to help out those comunitees. There is more to do than just money.

NightCrawler
10-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Another verse to remember....

1st John 3
"16This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. 17If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? 18Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 19This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence 20whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything."

lamb_servant72
10-26-2005, 06:49 AM
I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same way concerning the clothes we wear and jewelry. Why buy that $100.00 pair of pants, when you can get a pair at an outlet for $8.00? That's $92.00 you saved that you can help someone with.

God really convicted me about this when I was 17. I use to spend alot of money on clothes and jewelry. I remember looking at the rings on my fingers one day, and thinking, "There are starving children in the world, why am I spending money to adorn myself?"

It puts things in perspective.

skilltroks
10-26-2005, 11:55 AM
My answer to the question:
It's human nature to be selfish, and what others are going though. Human nature is over used. I believe that we can reverse so called human nature, but it's nearly impossible to do so.

md4j
10-26-2005, 12:25 PM
The other day, I went to buy a c.d, I brought it, then thought of the starving children in india, cambodia etc, the people that lost everything in Hurricane Katrina, people who lost family in the boxing day tsunami, fallow military personal who have been killed in iraq. I could have used that money to help out those people. I dont know why, but its been eating away at me for ages. the bible says to help those in need, but how far do we really need to go? Do we give absolutly everything away, so we have nothing ourselves? Or do we give 'what we can'? Just a thought....I say give what you can. Your family shouldn't do without just to help others. But if you can give over and above the 10% tithe then do that, but if you can't just giving 10% is going to be sufficeint, in my opinion. I also do see anything wrong with buying a c.d. now and then to enjoy some Christian music. But I believe we must be willing to give that stuff up if God calls us to.

Day of Fire Fan
10-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Its been nice hearing your guys thoughts on the subject

theelectric3
10-27-2005, 04:56 PM
i agree, that does put things into perspective. there are people starving, people dying and going to hell...and what am i doing (in terms of the eternal view) to change that? that's been pretty big in me lately. so i want this, that or the other...but do i really 'need' it?

not much has changed since the era when the Bible was written. we still have the same basic human needs and struggles. so i don't believe we can use the excuse "well God, times are differnt...surely You understand."

but i agree that giving to others is not all inclusive to money. time, prayer, and using the gifts and talents He has given us are additional ways to give to others.

michael brought up another good point. balance. don't go broke for the sake of helping another. unless, of course, God tells you to give all for a specific reason. God is more concerned with my character than my social status and comfort.

i've heard it said that persecution is probably the best friend to the church. and prosperity it's worst enemy.

(wow, i needed to be reminded of all this right now...so thanks for the topic to remind me of what eternally matters.)

lamb_servant72
10-28-2005, 04:39 AM
Great points, Tracy. I like it that you said balance, unless God tells you otherwise. There are so many wonderful verses on giving. I shared on another thread how God told me to give the money I had been saving for a computer to an orphanage in Uganda. Afterwards, two different people gave me a computer. I was able to give one to an elderly lady who had been wanting one but couldn't afford it. Sowing and Reaping.

theelectric3
10-28-2005, 11:13 AM
how wonderful. and just think how that orphanage is benefiting from your generosity and obedience to Him. :) that's a reson to be happy forever.

TheFireBreathes
10-29-2005, 04:14 PM
At church they tell us to give 10% or more, why is it just 10%?

lamb_servant72
10-29-2005, 04:42 PM
This is what God commanded. Tithe means a tenth. It is first mentioned in Genesis 14:20.

NightCrawler
10-30-2005, 11:51 AM
Give to your heart's desire... and not just the expression. Give more if you want to give more, give less if you want to give less. If you don't give cheerfully (who gives cheerfully against their will?) it isn't as cool. God loves a cheerful giver.

lamb_servant72
10-30-2005, 03:54 PM
We are supposed to bring our tithes AND offerings into the storehouse. If it's the first 10%, we haven't given an offering, yet.

unshakeable15
10-30-2005, 08:03 PM
someone told me a couple weeks ago that it should be doable and meaningful.

if you get $500 for your birthday, it's doable to give $20. but, it's meaningful if you give $350 of that. everyone's "meaningful" is different, but don't just give what you know you can. do a bit more until it starts to hurt. :)

lamb_servant72
10-31-2005, 01:54 AM
I feel it is important to get scripture into your heart on giving if this is what God is teaching you about. Satan will come along every time and whisper in your ear, "That was so stupid, you know you needed that $350, think of what you could have gotten with that, God didn't really need that!"

I feel it's like a crossroad. When we use scripture to declare what we believe and feel, and don't listen to this temptation to regret the giving, we move to a more solid position or higher ground in our spiritual walk. If we focus on the regret and let it take root, we get knocked back and have to go through the same lesson again later!