Isildur9473
10-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Do you guys believe that Trick-Or-Treating is an acceptable practice?

newday_7
10-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Yes i don't see anything wrong with dressing up and getting free candy

alorian
10-28-2005, 11:27 PM
NO!! COMPLETELY EBIL!! DESTROY!! BOYCOTT CHOCOLATE, BUBBLE GUM, AND ANYTHING SUGAR!!! MASKS DESTROY OUR CHILDREN'S SELF ESTEEM! THEY LEARN TO HIDE BEHIND WHAT THEY AREN'T! AND SATANISTS THROW EGGS AT MY HOUSE!!

I don't see anything wrong with it. As long as you have God in your heart when you're doing something, where's the harm? (No, please don't nitpick that, please *looks at nightcrawler and others...)
Just spending time with family and friends having a good time...

NightCrawler
10-29-2005, 12:56 AM
:: shifty eyes ::

lamb_servant72
10-29-2005, 05:07 AM
I understand why some feel even dressing up and getting free candy is linked to evil.

It originated in Celtic Ireland in the 5th Century BC. The druids believed that on this night (the last night of their year) the spirits of the deceased were released to walk the among the living.

I have read three different versions of what happened that night. Some believe these spirits would go from house to house in search of something to eat. The living would dress up as gholes, goblins, and ghosts and go door to door, pretending they themselves were the spirits so they would not have to host the real spirits.

Some writings say it was an honor to the druids to host these spirits, and they celebrated with the spirits in their homes.

A third writing claimed that the spirits who had died the previous year, were allowed to search that night for a living body to posess for that year. The living, not wanting to be posessed, would dress up and pretend they were evil spirits, going house to house, to fool the real spirits. Later, they would burn at the stake, those they thought had been possessed.

skynes
10-29-2005, 05:20 AM
I've heard a fourth then.
On October 31st the Druids went from house to house wanting a sacrfice of children.

If they got it, they left a jack-o-lantern at the door to ward off demons
If they didn't get it, they painted pentagrams on the house and cursed the place, so when the demons came they would kill some or all of the people there.

lamb_servant72
10-29-2005, 05:35 AM
And we have our children carve pumpkins to put on the doorsteps.

Some believe Jack was an evil man that, according to Irish folklore, tricked the devil and made a pact with him. When Jack died, he was too evil for Heaven, and Hell wouldn't let him in because of the trick. He was given a single light inside a turnip (which later became a pumkin). Some people who are opposed to celebrating Halloween, believe if you have a Jack-o-lantern, you are inviting the spirit of Jack into your home.

Even bobbing-for-apples originated from the Roman celebration of Pomona, the goddess of fruit and trees.

aliengurl7
10-29-2005, 08:42 AM
I was going to give out candy but I have to work, still might. Most holidays have a pagan background (christmas,easter). I think the question is why your celibrating holloween? If your intentions are good then I think thats what the Lord looks at, not you celibrated halloween its evil, your going to hell. For me I like giving out candy to the kids and it gives them something to look foward to when they get home.

skynes
10-29-2005, 09:05 AM
Here's a suggestion for you all. Those who are giving and taking.

If you're giving, drop a gospel tract in with the sweeties.
If you're taking, thank the person and give them a tract.

Just cause it's a holiday doesn't mean good work can't be done ;)

NightCrawler
10-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Have you heard of reverse trick-or-treating? My Christian fellowship, I think, started the concept in our area. We go door to door and hand candy to students at their dorms. We do a survey too, like "Do you believe in ghosts" "Are you afraid of death" and some other things, and lead it up to the salvation message. It is really cool.

as~i~lay~dying
10-29-2005, 01:40 PM
^^yup--good idea! my family doenst celebrate it beacuse we dotn want to do anythign to acknowledge it as a holliday...but we dotn necessarily think its wrong.

BarlowgIRL
10-29-2005, 02:26 PM
My teacher said that All Hollow's Eve came because pagans wanted to try and counteract All Hollow's Day, the "worshiping" of saints. He said it was nothing all that bad.

skilltroks
10-29-2005, 05:24 PM
It's like Christmas. Halloween has different meanings for different people. As for me, I dislike Halloween because candy is gross.

Pretendeavor
10-29-2005, 05:44 PM
the zombies will rise and bite you!

NightCrawler
10-30-2005, 11:56 AM
I like to eat candy every now and then, but I like to give it more.

Also, Jessica, why not recognize it as a holiday if you don't find it wrong?

as~i~lay~dying
10-30-2005, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=NightCrawler
Also, Jessica, why not recognize it as a holiday if you don't find it wrong?[/QUOTE]
i meant we dotn think its wrong for other people to go trick-or treating...fall festivles etc.... ;)

lee
10-30-2005, 04:38 PM
HALLAWEEN IS THE MOST DEMONIC HOLIDAY IN THE WORLD. if you know where the whole trick-or-treat thing originated, it is totally satanists. the satanic rules were if you didn't "treat" the demons right and worship them, they would "trick you or destroy you. i think it is wrong to go trick or treating if your a christian because your promoting something that the devil has created. you might have the right heart when your doing it, but it's still wrong. let's just say it's the "trick" of the devil....

alorian
10-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Hmmm...

The way the pagans celebrate it is evil. Different things mean different things to different people. When I say orange, am I talking about the fruit or the color? (Poor example, I know). It's the same with halloween. While pagans may celebrate it as a ritual, most Americans see it as getting together with friends and family to dress up, have a good time, and load up on sugar. While the origin was pagan, today's celebration certainly isn't. Just like Christmas. Did God ever tell us to celebrate it? No. The Catholic church made it a holiday on the winter solstice to cover up a pagan holiday during that time.

lee
10-30-2005, 04:56 PM
i don't want to argue, but you just made my piont. we cover up what this holiday really was and is about. we can tell ourselves whatever we want, but hallaween was about worshiping the demons, and will stay that way forever. i care about your opion, but we have to remeber why halloween was created. it's a demonic holiday, and it's going to stay that way.

alorian
10-30-2005, 05:03 PM
No, it's not. I started out as a creature of this world, but then I became a Christian.

Are you saying we should stop celebrating Christmas and Easter too? They were both started initially by pagans.

lee
10-30-2005, 05:19 PM
what does you becoming a christian have to do with the suject

aliengurl7
10-30-2005, 06:27 PM
HALLAWEEN IS THE MOST DEMONIC HOLIDAY IN THE WORLD. if you know where the whole trick-or-treat thing originated, it is totally satanists. the satanic rules were if you didn't "treat" the demons right and worship them, they would "trick you or destroy you. i think it is wrong to go trick or treating if your a christian because your promoting something that the devil has created. you might have the right heart when your doing it, but it's still wrong. let's just say it's the "trick" of the devil....

What about christians who put up christmas lights and a tree. Thats not for Jesus. Isn't that pagan also? It may be more subtle than halloween, but its still pagan. Aren't these two holidays traditionally celtic?

alorian
10-30-2005, 06:29 PM
It's an example. Just as Halloween transformed from something evil to something harmless, so I transformed from a person of the world to a Christian.

Answer that other question, though: by your argument, Christmas and Easter shouldn't stand either as holidays.

Isildur9473
10-30-2005, 07:31 PM

OMG DEM SATANISTS R GUNNA GET US LOL!!!111!!!1ONE!!!!

You're forgetting that nobody remembers it for evil except satanists, it's cultural now, not spiritual.

NightCrawler
10-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Well, some Christians dwell on it because they don't want more dentist visits.

Isildur9473
10-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Well, some Christians dwell on it because they don't want more dentist visits.

lol :)

Seriously, it's not a demonic holiday. It's a cultural event. A lot of kids don't even say trick-or-treat. They just hold out a bag and smile. Seriously, no wonder people think Christians are so ignorant and stupid with that "OMG U R GOIN TO HELL CAUSE U TRIK OR TREET LOL!!!!"

HALLAWEEN IS THE MOST DEMONIC HOLIDAY IN THE WORLD.

Is Hallaween like Halloween?

unshakeable15
10-30-2005, 08:19 PM
i don't want to argue, but you just made my piont. we cover up what this holiday really was and is about. we can tell ourselves whatever we want, but hallaween was about worshiping the demons, and will stay that way forever.
uh, no. it wasn't about worshipping demons. demons were never a part of it.

it comes from Sanheim, which is a festival of the harvest. it also was intertwined with All Saint's Day, which is when the Celts believed the layer between the world of the dead and the living was thinner (hence, the idea of ghosts and so forth).

demons? no. worship? again, no.

if you're going to paint something bad, at least get shade of paint the right color.

skynes
10-31-2005, 12:41 AM
"I am free to do all things, but not all things are beneficial for me"

For some, celebrating halloween is compromise and therefore is sin.

For some, celebrating halloween is nothing, and therefore is not sin.

Let each one of us be sure in our own minds.

Cornflake
10-31-2005, 07:13 AM
How did Easter start pagan? I always thought it was when Christ rose from the grave.. But I don't know. Forgive my ignorance. Same with Christmas. One celebrates the birth of Christ, the other, the Resurrection. Though both have weird secular touches, like Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny. "And on the third day, Christ was risen, with the Easter Bunny in tow, with baskets for all little children"

Pretendeavor
10-31-2005, 07:18 AM
its ppl like you that makes me wanna choke the life out of you. halloween is something fun to scare kids and stuff just to have fun if halloween is satan worship well looks like where all gonna go to hell and burn and roast.

skynes
10-31-2005, 07:35 AM
Oh cool, we all get to join the Pitchfork Party...

riz
10-31-2005, 11:32 AM
How did Easter start pagan? I always thought it was when Christ rose from the grave.. But I don't know. Forgive my ignorance. Same with Christmas. One celebrates the birth of Christ, the other, the Resurrection. Though both have weird secular touches, like Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny. "And on the third day, Christ was risen, with the Easter Bunny in tow, with baskets for all little children"
In the Apostles' time, there were no "Christmas" holidays or "Easter" celebrations. The Church centuries later decided to create holidays around the pagan festivals of the time, one of the main reasons to invite new people into the Church and reach out to those who weren't Christians. Christmas occurs around the winter solstice festivals (I don't have the names with me at the present time, but there's a Christmas/Easter thread around here somewhere with the exact info). And Easter happens around when the springtime fertility festivals occur. Christ's birthday is technically NOT on December 25 (we merely commemorate it on that day) - and the randomness of when Easter falls should tell you that we don't know the exact date of Christ's death and resurrection.

But this is the Halloween thread. Amen to the people who mentioned Samhain. There should be info on the Internet about it; all I knew about it was that it was Celtic in origin.

lee
10-31-2005, 01:21 PM
its ppl like you that makes me wanna choke the life out of you. halloween is something fun to scare kids and stuff just to have fun if halloween is satan worship well looks like where all gonna go to hell and burn and roast.

i'm not saying your going to hell for going trick or treating or something of that sort. all i'm saying is, if you want to participate in halloween with the world, and promote scaring kids and all that stuff. then you go right ahead, and do that. because iu believe the bible says fear is of the devil, and all this stuff is doing is covering up what the true meaning of hallaween is. there are still many people in america that are satanists, and worship demons especially on halloween.

alorian
10-31-2005, 03:18 PM

Hey man, you might want to cool it. Have patience. We might even be the ones wrong, though I doubt it. If "people like that" grind your nerves, "people like you" come close to grinding mine. Don't jump off on someone like that. If Christ jumped down every single person's throat... my point is that He didn't, and neither should you. It results in animosity, and nothing gets solved. Try taking two deep breaths next time, and then type your post.

We're trying to imitate Christ, and jumping on people isn't doing that. That's the jist of what I"m trying to get at.

Isildur9473
10-31-2005, 03:31 PM
m not saying your going to hell for going trick or treating or something of that sort. all i'm saying is, if you want to participate in halloween with the world, and promote scaring kids and all that stuff. then you go right ahead, and do that. because iu believe the bible says fear is of the devil, and all this stuff is doing is covering up what the true meaning of hallaween is. there are still many people in america that are satanists, and worship demons especially on halloween.

OMG SATANISTS R EVERYWHERE RUN 4 DA HILLZ LOLOL!!!11!!!!11ONE!!!

Seriously, there's probably 2000 Christians to every Satanist in this country. Halloween is a cultural festivity, nothing more. Scaring people is fun, it's nothing more than a joke. Giving candy to little kids is not a sin last time I checked.

I suppose you're one of those people that believes all secular music is a form of Devil worship?

alorian
10-31-2005, 03:48 PM
It's really not nice to poke fun like that either. Not everyone shares the perceptions on things, and things can be handled in a much better way.

Pretendeavor
10-31-2005, 04:02 PM

Seriously, there's probably 2000 Christians to every Satanist in this country. Halloween is a cultural festivity, nothing more. Scaring people is fun, it's nothing more than a joke. Giving candy to little kids is not a sin last time I checked.

I suppose you're one of those people that believes all secular music is a form of Devil worship?
rotfl that made me laugh

alorian
10-31-2005, 04:07 PM
The boards are here for everyone, and everyone should feel welcome here. Be respectful of other people and their feelings.

Isildur9473
10-31-2005, 04:42 PM
Just trying to lighten up the mood with some sarcastic humor... Sorry.. :(

So I'll leave you guys Gandalf.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Isildur9473/magia.jpg

Pretendeavor
10-31-2005, 04:50 PM
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~rdoremus/CoH/Arran%20vs%20CoT%20Demon.jpg

i leave you with a picture of an animated demon MWAHAHAHAHA!

NightCrawler
10-31-2005, 04:58 PM
THis thread went from bad to worse. Good points, though, Skynes.

Isildur9473
10-31-2005, 05:00 PM
i leave you with a picture of an animated demon MWAHAHAHAHA!

Gandalf with AK-47 > Demon

THis thread went from bad to worse. Good points, though, Skynes.

Didn't mean to derail the thread, sorry.

Back on topic.

Pretendeavor
10-31-2005, 05:01 PM
I answer with a restless ok but I'm about to blow when you're gone
I keep this to myself; a restless ok but I fear the dawn
I've never been afraid to hide up in the dark
It's the first morning stream of pure light that makes me rather swim with the sharks
And it'll make me say I'm ok even though it hurts more if I stay
And I'm ok. Yes, I'm ok. If that'll make your questions go away

I'm a vampire, I'm afraid the light will set me on fire

I'm cold in a way I just want to stay
And I'm cold this way

Reckon I'll close the door
Pull down the curtains stay close to the floor
Mercy is for the weak; we do not train to be merciful here
Mercy is everything I fear; we do not train to see His mercy here

Crawling again
The heart is screaming with a smile
Pride says no because of the stain
The heart pounds for love, pride says no
Because of what the heart is longing for
I'm not sure I want to be a man anymore

This choice I've got to make,
I've got to make alone
A heart of stone
This choice I've got to make
I've got to make it true
A heart broken in two

King Of The CLoset // Blindside

Isildur9473
10-31-2005, 05:07 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Isildur9473/rabbit_pancake.jpg

Pretendeavor
10-31-2005, 05:16 PM
its halloween night just haven some clean fun

Pretendeavor
10-31-2005, 05:18 PM
http://www.nandotimes.com/nt/images/woodstock/monday/woodstock10.jpeg

Isildur9473
10-31-2005, 05:19 PM
^Pwn3d^

I was watching AMC, how do they call that American Movie Classics? The "Halloween" movies sucked, Scream sucked, they were all bad! Where's The Exorcist, The Silence of the Lambs, and The Shining? Probably the 3 best horror moives ever.

Pretendeavor
10-31-2005, 05:22 PM
^Pwn3d^

I was watching AMC, how do they call that American Movie Classics? The "Halloween" movies sucked, Scream sucked, they were all bad! Where's The Exorcist, The Silence of the Lambs, and The Shining? Probably the 3 best horror moives ever.
i seen the had the exorcist playing i forgot what chanel. now im upset the dont have any romero and his classic zombie moves on. yummmm the taste of human flesh! such preety skin give it to us!

theelectric3
10-31-2005, 05:31 PM

Seriously, there's probably 2000 Christians to every Satanist in this country.

i'd be curious to see the actual statistics on that before throwing out assumptions.

(and thanks alorian for your last two posts. let's try to keep the peace while respecting different opinions. thanks.)

Pretendeavor
10-31-2005, 05:43 PM
i'd be curious to see the actual statistics on that before throwing out assumptions.

and can we please refrain from posting random pics that don't have anything to do with the thread? thanks. :)

(and thanks alorian for your last two posts. let's try to keep the peace while respecting different opinions. thanks.)
acctualy tracy the pictures do the have a relation to Halloween

theelectric3
10-31-2005, 07:36 PM
sorry, i was mainly refering to the hamster dude....but it's cool. no harm...

Isildur9473
10-31-2005, 08:08 PM
sorry, i was mainly refering to the hamster dude....but it's cool. no harm...

The rabbit had more relevance than the other pictures. In a Thousand words, it told that I had no idea what he was talking about.

theelectric3
10-31-2005, 08:48 PM
The rabbit had more relevance than the other pictures. In a Thousand words, it told that I had no idea what he was talking about.

my apologies.

kasicalover
10-31-2005, 09:00 PM
I don't like Halloween. Even as a young child i never liked this holiday, I always found it unbelievably ironic and lame. All year we tell the children, "don't talk to strangers, and don't take candy from strangers." Then what do we do, we send them out to approach strangers houses and take their candy. I don't like the background to the this day. It always makes my heart cry when I see small children dressed as demons, devils and witches. Those things are unacceptable for Christians and we shouldn't be encouraging children to take lightly the darkness that lurks in this world.

riz
11-01-2005, 02:02 AM
Okay, the pictures do NOT have relevance in relation to a discussion about Halloween. This is Mars Hill, not the Picture thread or Pointless Posts thread. Tracy was right in bringing this up.

Pretendeavor
11-01-2005, 03:23 AM
Okay, the pictures do NOT have relevance in relation to a discussion about Halloween. This is Mars Hill, not the Picture thread or Pointless Posts thread. Tracy was right in bringing this up.
rawr cat got your tounge?

Isildur9473
11-01-2005, 02:26 PM

In all honesty mine did. It proved a point, that I had no idea what he was talking about. It showed it in a funny way, but it still got a point across. The rest were useless.

Pretendeavor
11-01-2005, 05:21 PM
its halloween every day for me. the blood thirsty bats and vampires and flesh eating zombies.

NightCrawler
11-01-2005, 11:03 PM
rawr cat got your tounge?
Rawr, cats are cute.

Tongue*

unshakeable15
11-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Brandon, off-topic posts aren't secluded to pictures. i.e. you're not helping anything by jabbering on about nothing (like your last post) or attempting to incite people to jump on you (like the one before that).

please stop.

riz
11-03-2005, 07:50 AM
I just wanted to say that I was not offended by the 'cat got your tongue' reference, because it didn't make any sense whatsoever in context.

But anyway - how was everyone's Halloween? This is the first year in a long time I didn't get any candy. :(

NightCrawler
11-03-2005, 08:51 AM
I got some candy. My sister shared. My mom also has some tins with candy in it. I don't eat much candy often... So I got my fill.

completely_nuts
11-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Oh cool, we all get to join the Pitchfork Party...
don't forget the tar and feathers. or the thumbtacks and rubbing alcohol.

alorian
11-03-2005, 03:21 PM
First year I didn't go trick-or-treating.

Well, this thread is about done... See you all next year :)

Isildur9473
11-03-2005, 05:11 PM
First year I didn't go trick-or-treating.

Well, this thread is about done... See you all next year :)

Necroposting FTW? :)

Aragornsgirl217
11-05-2005, 07:35 AM
I know I'm a little late for this, but my family and I don't believe in trick-or-treating. I won't go into it all right now, but if you'd like, go to My xanga (http://www.xanga.com/NancyDrewgirl217). I have some stuff on there about this. For this year and the past couple of years, my fam and I hand out a little piece of candy or 2 with a brochure by Kenneth Copeland Ministries about why Halloween is bad. ;D

deadb4dawn
11-05-2005, 08:14 PM
one of my sisters hates the idea of halloween, but i love it!thats the only day that me and my friends get to do what we want and not get in trouble or be looked down on. that is one of my favorite halodays! i know it's like the ainticrist day but who cares. every religion gets there day and thats the day for the satinest.<--thats why my sister dont like it. but its always kool for the kids to go out and get some free candy and eat till there sick. -lol- at skol we had a villian day and i got in trouble for dresn up like the devil.-lol-

NightCrawler
11-05-2005, 11:01 PM
one of my sisters hates the idea of halloween, but i love it!thats the only day that me and my friends get to do what we want and not get in trouble or be looked down on. that is one of my favorite halodays! i know it's like the ainticrist day but who cares. every religion gets there day and thats the day for the satinest.<--thats why my sister dont like it. but its always kool for the kids to go out and get some free candy and eat till there sick. -lol- at skol we had a villian day and i got in trouble for dresn up like the devil.-lol-
Three huge, huge problems with that.

1) You do bad things, and don't care.
2) You like the fact that you are doing what you think is wrong.
3) It isn't Satan's day, don't give him one. But the fact that you acted on it, look at points 1 and 2.

unshakeable15
11-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Nicole, there is one problem i have with tracks in general (whatever origins/religion/message): they offer a skewed view to twist the reader into believing what the author wants.

for example, i got a Muslim track a couple years ago during a speech class when one of my classmates did a speech on her religion. i read it and even used it as a source in a paper later that semester. my teacher, having spent a great deal of time in Saudia Arabia, knew i my info was off because i'd gotten it from a track (basically, it gave greater importance to Jesus, despite Islam's belief that he was simply a great teacher, like Moses).

i'm not saying the track you quoted was wrong, but it doesn't give the entire story (and it adds a bit, i think. never heard of people offering themselves or others as sacrifice in the bonfires). a good article is at wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween), specifically the cultural history section (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween#Cultural_history).

there is one more thing i wanted to say. even in the track (and just about every other website or encyclopedia on the history of Halloween) attributes the original history to Samhain, but it grew as a result of the Catholic church taking it over and making it a church holiday. i see nothing wrong with that. it's like taking over a strip club and converting it into a church or an after school hang-out. God does it daily with us so why can't He do it with holidays. :)

note: i'm not trying to "convert" you to trick-or-treating. i never did it growing up because my parents didn't allow. i'm just trying to educate. :)

deadb4dawn
11-09-2005, 02:36 PM
nightcrawler, thats not what i meant about it. im a kid, im gona do bad things. it seems like every time i write something u take it the wrong way. im sorry i dont agree with you all the time, and im sorry, i'll try not to say things that u might take the wrong way. sorry really

NightCrawler
11-09-2005, 04:50 PM
nightcrawler, thats not what i meant about it. im a kid, im gona do bad things. it seems like every time i write something u take it the wrong way. im sorry i dont agree with you all the time, and im sorry, i'll try not to say things that u might take the wrong way. sorry reallyDid you look at your post before you pressed submit? How could it be taken apart from what I took it as? Care to set me straight?

"thats the only day that me and my friends get to do what we want and not get in trouble or be looked down on. that is one of my favorite halodays"

And "i know it's like the ainticrist day but who cares."...

"every religion gets there day and thats the day for the satinest"

deadb4dawn
11-09-2005, 05:32 PM
ok, u know what i dont know what i was thinkn that day. but the way im reading it it sounds like ur yelln at me. i told u i was sorry and i didnt mean for you to get mad about it. sorry, just get over it plz. im not haven the best day of my life and i really dont need someone on the computer to make it worst. sorry... again.

but yes sometimes i do like to make trouble. who dont? and the way i wrote And "i know it's like the ainticrist day but who cares."... i didnt mean it that way. sory. i know it sounds bad after u read it but thats not what was going through my mind at that time.

NightCrawler
11-09-2005, 08:07 PM
I am by far not yelling, I just was asking ...

deadb4dawn
11-10-2005, 03:53 PM
nightcrawler, is the guy in ur pic from the Outsiders?

NightCrawler
11-10-2005, 05:52 PM
I look like I am from the Outsiders? Sweet! Wait, what is it?

deadb4dawn
11-10-2005, 05:56 PM
-lol- the Outsiders is a really good book. i had to read it for skol this year. and then we got to watch the movie on it. and <i guess thats u> look like Dally.