TheFireBreathes
10-30-2005, 06:59 PM
Lets see where to start...This trip was soo amazing and I cant even explain in words how awesome it was. Well, we were supposed to leave at 3 on sunday but the nice charter bus never showed up, (funny how hard satan tried to not let us go on this trip). After hours of waiting thankfully my friends dad hooked us up with 4 vans to take down there instead of the bus. So instead of leaving at 3 we left at 7 and it took us 2 days to get down there instead of the 18 hours we had originally thought. The drive actually was a lot more fun than it would have been on the bus becasue we were assigned groups with random people for the whole ride so I got to meet some pretty cool people.

We arrived there at around 5 in the morning tuesday, and went strait to work, the chuch we arrived at was a Vineyard church and was partly destroyed. The gentleman we guys were decided to sleep in the partly destoyed storage units instead of sleeping in the warm carpeted church where the girls were. That was a big pain in the butt. Literly. All we did for half of the day was unload luggage from the RV and clean up the church. The rest of the day we went and gave out food and clothing to the refugees. It was breathtaking, some of these people rolled in with nothing but what they could fit in their cars. The people were so gratefull just to have a clean toothbrush and floss. One old lady who came in who I will never forget lost her 2 sons and her husband and everything she owned in the hurricane and was still praising God! I couldnt help but give her a hug she almost made me cry.

The next day a group of about 5 or 6 of us went to this house to go clean up roof shingles, branches, debris, etc. The couple who owned it were gone and they had told us before that they didnt need the help. Some of the people in my group said that we shouldnt be helping them because it would be embarressing when the owners came home and saw that we were cleaning anyways. My leader recognized that people were starting to get an atitude so he prayed over us all. Id like to thank Jesus for being there because we couldnt of chopped down a huge tree with one axe on our own. It was all Him. The top part of the axe at one time flew off while someone was chopping and almost hit my leader in the face, thankyou Jesus for being there. After we had returned to the church the couple had called us crying and thanking us for everything we did. They even made us Gumbo :P . And I mean just seeing a couple cry in thanks to us is just the greatest feeling you can ever have. A verse that came to mind that we had studied earlier was Romans 12: 9-18
9Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
14Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[a] Do not be conceited. 17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

I wont go in to too much more detail becasue this is already getting long but the next house we did was totally obliterated. All we really worked on for 2 days was trying to clean up this wall/cieling that had folded together and was now laying in the ladys front lawn. It was so heavy we had to cut it into sections with just one axe and a sledge hammer it was a real workout indeed. The last part of the wall had a length and width of about 20 feet. One of the leaders drove in to help us pick it up, and while we were picking it up, the strongest leader slipped on the stairs and the wall/ceiling almost crushed us all. If it werent for the Superman strength God had given my leader, we would had many broken bones. it seemed like what we did made little change but aparently to the people it did. Afyer we finished cleaning the debris the house still looked the same and they lasy said "I will be praying for you" or "have a safe trip" at least 18 times!

It was amazing how many of the people there were still on-fire-for-Christ though they had lost everything. None of the refugees their questioned why God sent this hurricane but praised God of the phenomenol miracles He had given people through the hurricane. And that is one thing the news doesnt show. This all reminded me of Psalm 63: 1-11
1 O God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water. 2 I have seen you in the sanctuary
and beheld your power and your glory.
3 Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.
4 I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.
5 My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
6 On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.
7 Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings.
8 My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me.
9 They who seek my life will be destroyed;
they will go down to the depths of the earth.
10 They will be given over to the sword
and become food for jackals.
11 But the king will rejoice in God;
all who swear by God's name will praise him,
while the mouths of liars will be silenced.

Sorry this was so long I will post pics to give you guys a better idea once they are develped. Thankyou everyone for praying for, it made a huge difference. I will never forget this experience. Thankyou! :)

as~i~lay~dying
10-30-2005, 07:34 PM
wow--thats soo cool that you got to be apart of that! and you can see throughout your story how God was totally there and helping you guys awesome! i wish i could do somehting like that but being in alaska all i can do is pray! so yay def wanna see some pics! thanx so much for telling us about it!! =)

TheFireBreathes
10-31-2005, 02:24 PM
Thanks, Ill post them ASAP

lamb_servant72
10-31-2005, 04:22 PM
That is so awsome, Brett. I loved reading about it. I know that was an amazing experience for you. The attitudes of the people there remind me of what Tracy said on the Thought thread...persecution is the best friend of the church and prosperity it's worst enemy.

TheFireBreathes
11-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Cool I didnt think of it that way, Ill have to check out that thread.

TheFireBreathes
11-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Sorry everyone its been so long. I seem to have misplaced my camera, but hopefully I cant get some from my leaders.

TheFireBreathes
01-01-2006, 07:26 PM
So alright I finally found one picture. Hopefully youll be able to find me (theres a big arrow above my head) ;)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/bobmarleysgnarley/weezy.jpg

NightCrawler
01-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Heh, nice...