Reeper
11-10-2005, 07:17 PM
K. so just heard about Pat Robertson (for those of you who don't know he is the 700 club guy) saying that the people of Dover PA shouldn't be surprised if a disaster happens to them and that if it does happen they should not turn to God cause they turned their backs on him in their vote to keep intelligent design out of the classroom. He's also made other comments like this on his T.V. show like saying that Katrina was a result of the sin in New Orleans.

So, what do y'all think. Is he a psycho? A fanatic? Does he take things to far and give christians a bad name? Or is he just saying what needs to be said?

I know what I think but what do you think?

Peace

p.s. I'd rather not have this topic go off on creation/evolution if at all possible. We have a whole other thread about that, if you want to discuss that I suggest you go post there. I say we keep this discussion to the issue stated above and others like it.

Should we as christians be doing like Pat Robertson does?

Peace

terrasin
11-10-2005, 08:27 PM
I just read about this. That kind of stuff angers me. How can someone say what God is or isn't going to do? I guess he is sinless in his own life... I never liked the 700 club or what it stood for, this just adds to it.

Granted, I believe if Intelegent Design is forced out of the classroom, then so should other theroies of creation as well. If they won't be fair on all levels and have a happy medium, then they should have nothing at all.

This guy is obviousely narrow minded and blinded by stupidity. Wait till some natural disaster happens where they are based. Bet he won't be blaming "God turning his back" on their sin...

CJ

bob
11-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Yeah, i've never been impressed with Robinson or the 700 club, but there has always been dumb christians that stick their foot in the mouth 24/7, and there always will be. It's wrong, but there really isn't a way to stop it.

as~i~lay~dying
11-11-2005, 10:39 AM
he didnt say a disaster would happen he said they shouldnt call on God during disaster because they denied God! i agree with him......

terrasin
11-11-2005, 06:24 PM
No person has the right to say what God will or will not do. I'm sure there were some who were opposed to the idea. And this is not the first time this guy has said something really stupid.

CJ

alorian
11-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Robertson's comment was a moronic one. America would be gone right now if God did that sort of thing..

God SAYS he'll always do certain things, though, CJ ;) Gotta catch a movie, or I'd go into detail.

NightCrawler
11-11-2005, 06:59 PM
No person has the right to say what God will or will not do. I'm sure there were some who were opposed to the idea. And this is not the first time this guy has said something really stupid.

CJYeah, are ya gonna stone him like the prophets of old?

In a general sense, I am serious. Just because someone has a so called prophecy doesn't mean he is a liar.... Many OT prophets spoke of doom and distruction, and they were stoned. Jesus even said that 'you' killed the prophets (or did John the Baptist say it?). The Holy Spirit gives the gift of Prophecy, and I don't believe it is dead. So, prophecies are still alive today. Thus, my point is that there ARE prophecies that need heeding, don't be so quick to say "NUT JOB!"

But to this specific case, I think he has very low credibility for something of this nature.

drumchick101
11-11-2005, 07:48 PM
These types of things anger me as well. The thing that gets me is that this isn't the first time he has done this!! I think he is just feeling angry at certain things and he does not realize what he says. I believe if he knew the true character of God he wouldn't have said that because NEVER did God just go around blasting people with lightning bolts without warning and warning and warning them again because they were sinning when they ALREADY knew that it was wrong. These are people of the world, therefore they do not know that they do wrong so God will not hold them responsible by punishing them right now. Plus, that is simply not how he "coaxes" non-believers into believeing in Him, He loves them into heaven instead of scaring them out of hell. It may be a different story for people who know the truth and ignore it.

><sarah><

skynes
11-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Give me the guys exact wording, and then I'll give my opinion.

Cornflake
11-12-2005, 10:06 AM
I don't think he exactly meant that God won't hear them if a natural disaster comes their way, or even that there will be one, but rather, I believe he said this..

You chose to have God taken out of the classroom once again . You have rejected God. There have been alot of accounts in the Bible where people rejected God and met with disaster. And I also believe he is saying you rejected God, God has every right to reject you. I don't think he actually said God wouldn't help them. Its basically like a "Hey we don't need God" statement, so why would they need God in time of disaster? And New Orleans WAS a sinful place. I have been there.

How could God destroy Sodom and Gommora for there sinfulness, and just leave San Fran and NO and all the other hives of immorality alone? Ho couldn't , not without resurrecting and apologizing to every soul that died when He destroyed Sodom and Gommora.

terrasin
11-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Actually, he did say directly that God would reject them. heh

CJ

asparagus
11-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Give me the guys exact wording, and then I'll give my opinion.
Yeah, let's take a look at a transcript.

Sully4Him
11-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Here's a link I found when I searched for it... on it you'll find a link to watch a news report about it... after the reporters talk, it shows a clip of what Robertson had to say. Hope it helps.
http://www.nbc10.com/news/5302541/detail.html?rss=phi&psp=news

asparagus
11-12-2005, 08:24 PM
I found this to be a wise response:
"I'm upset that a clergy, if I would even call him that, a clergy would say that about a town. I don't remember God's name being on the referendum or anything," said the Rev. John Woods, with Calvary Lutheran Church (in Dover, PA).