amodman
11-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Not seeing any recent threads about it and judging how much this is talked about in various threads I've seen, I decided to make this thread discussing what ya'll think on what a Christian band is supposed to be doing in their music. By this I mean the all-too-common debate on whether or not the words Jesus, God, etc. are used in their music, what kind of music people think they should even be making (message-wise, not music-wise, lol), etc.

My own opinion is as follows - pretty much, I think if you have a personal walk with God whether it be in your music, writing, or whatever, it has to show somewhat. I'm not saying it's a requirement, but that it's simply impossible to seperate the two (I think we can agree on that).

However, I don't think a [Christian] band always necessarily has to be praising God or pushing Salvation through their music. I certainly believe that praising God is essential to our very being, especially through music, but in life we are given a host of matters and issues that surround us everyday. Music is a medium for whatever you wish it to be. I think it's only natural to mention how much God has done for you in your life in your music whether or not all your music is intended to be praiseworthy, but I don't take it as my place to judge a band that doesn't.

If a group makes claims contrary to what is in their music, I may have an issue, but one also has to consider what the intended audience for the music is as well as the author. The majority of the secular market world is going to be turned away if all a band does is explicitly preach about Jesus, but songs that are common to all on basic levels that allude to God, IMO, are a much more beneficial way of reaching out to others.

Also, whether or not a particular Christian is in a group that is not entirely Christian (excluding those pushing messages contrary to God), does still not mean, IMO, you are doing anything wrong. As long as that person still exhibits their walk on a personal level, I honestly don't see the problem. An example of this might be the recently defunct April Sixth - some of the songs the lead wrote alluded to God (he was the only Christian in the band), but not in any major way. However, in an interview he talked about how great it was when, after shows, people came up to talk to him (possibly asking what he meant by a particular line) and he got share his faith.

While believing we should try and witness to others as much as possible in every possible way, I'll be the first to admit I rarely take this initiative into daily action. As far as music, novels, and any artisitic medium is concerned, I don't believe it's a sin to not exclusively use them for the purpose of praise or salvation. We have imaginations, feelings, etc. by the grace of God on this Earth for more than just attempting to disregard them and only ever praise God and/or attempt to get others to as well. If God is first in your life everything else will follow, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that this does not always necessarily mean that whatever medium you may put out to the public is ALWAYS going to be centrally about God, and I don't think that's wrong, but just part of our nature here on Earth. Our lives are vastly different now than they will be in the eternal, and so are the things on our minds we may wish to communicate to others and the paths provided to us to walk. We have many distractions - some which God provided for our pleasure. Indulging completely in the material and disregarding God and how he may have you live your life, IMO, is the real sin, and whether or not I've wandered too far away from my original statement for this to be relevant, who knows? Lol.

Discuss

terrasin
11-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Plain and simple answer. You cannot, and should not, try to keep an artist from writing about whatever they want. Part of art is the ability to create. In Christian music, there hasn't been much creating. Put in any 5 cds and they all have a very similar topic and message. There is nothing artistic about joining the popular scene. Art comes from inside and I've seen too many people try to think that Christian music should be "controlled".

I say just let them write about what they want.

CJ

NightCrawler
11-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Umm... Christians that are blessed with musical talent (and especially a record deal of any sort) are to glorify God. BLATENTLY. Money is nothing, God is everything. Record labels should never be the basis for censoring God, and artists should not abide by such censoring because of the fact that it is a record label.

Blatently worship God, it offends the people with which the cross seems foolish.

Spiffles
11-27-2005, 06:08 PM
I dfont think a "christian" band should have to write any particular way... or have any sort of label on them like "if you dont say i love jesus 3 times in every song your not christians"

I personally think that it should be Christians in a band rather then a christian band, and they just write like any other musical artist... If they are christians, then that will be influenced in their music... what they write will be what they beleive, what they live, etc etc... if they choose to write worship songs because thats what they feel lead to do then thats cool... worship songs are 1 good way to worship God.. If they dont want to write worship songs but just "normal" songs.. thats just as cool. I doubt christians who are genuine about their faith will write stuff that contradicts christianity or puts it in a bad light or whatever.
I probably compress what i think to:
music should be an expression of that artist.

Reeper
11-27-2005, 06:43 PM
That's a big old bang for Nightcrawler. Couldn't agree more.

K. just a few more things though. The common argument I hear about christian bands being blatantly christian is that the music won't appeal to the secular market. My opinion is that if you have put God first and not how your music will make it in the secular market, God will make you become as big as he wants you to. You may never make it out of your own basement, then again you may headline an international tour. As long as God is first everything is correct. Also, one really has to weigh which you would rather have, God pleased with you or popularity. To be honest I could really care less if God or Jesus are used in the lyrics. While that may help direct people to the source of the words, it is not I think necessary. As long as the message is there I think it is fine. A prime example of blatantly praising God and still making it in the secular market is POD. Their music is still flowing with the word and praise of God, in their interviews they proclaim their faith openly, and yet they still made it.

This amodman to be honest is the real problem I have with Relient K. I have seen many interviews with them on Yahoo and MTV and never once have I even heard mention of their faith. Also, their videos disappoint me. For instance "Be My Escape" which I thought was about God was made to be about a girl in their music video. It was disappointing to say the least. Their new video is the same way. Also my reference to lusting after girls simply has to do with their repeated mentions of how good looking a girl is in their music. I don't know about the girls but I know I have been offended by how many times they mention how good looking a girl is without any mention of the rest of her, like personality, faith, etc. It is simply again disappointing. They have so many great chances to give God praise and they don't.

I also just want to clear something up I don't think that christians who are members of non-christian bands are sinners. I just think they need to re-evaluate what they are doing. God has apparently given them a great talent and to not use it to his glory I think is very sad.

Now as far as not being able to separate art and faith I have to say I do not agree. I can very easily write a song about how much drugs I do and how I can't wait to go to hell, and how I worship satan. All of which are totally false and are totally separate from my faith. While I think I understand what you are saying that my life will still reflect my faith, my art most definitely did not.

Now as far as christian music not being controlled, I think I understand what you are saying. I think you mean that the record label should not control what has to be said by the artist and while I totally agree, I just have to say that there is a control on christian music and that is the word of God. If you are outside the word of God, you are not a christian artist.

Finally I just want to say that I feel that music is one of the greatest gifts given to us by God. That is the main reason why I feel we should use it to give praise and honor to him and him alone. While I think that it is o.k. to sing about your everyday problems at least bring those problems around and show how God helped you through them.

And last about christian music not being original. I think there is a reason why all the cd's sound the same. I don't think it has to do with people copying off of other people though, I think it has to do with God placing the same song in different people's hearts. That is why you get different songs with the same message. While I agree it is nice to hear a fresh perspective on the message, that does not necessarily mean that the message has to be different. Just a different way to reach the same conclusion. I think God wants us to hear these messages and that is why they are there.

Peace

riz
11-28-2005, 12:42 AM
Why should the artistic mind be confined within a box?

I find nothing wrong with trying to reach out to a broader audience instead of trying to confine oneself within a small segment of the population. If people were to use their talents for a living, it would be quite difficult to restrict them to a smaller genre when they could simply become read or heard or seen through a more mainstream audience.

As CJ said, it isn't a good thing to inhibit the creative process and not write whatever comes to mind. I would hate to restrict my own creativity. I've had cases of writer's block in the past from having done it. If I practice writing, I write whatever comes to my mind - even if it isn't the greatest, it comes out and it'll help me sift through my own thoughts. And it won't have Jesus every other sentence. Does that mean I can't write it down? My stories don't have Jesus every other sentence. Does that mean, as a Christian, I can't continue writing it?

skynes
11-28-2005, 01:03 AM
What makes a band different from a job? To some people, making music IS their job.

I work with unbelievers, I go to school with unbelievers, I have contact with unbelievers daily, do I need to re-evaluate what I'm doing? Do I need to quit my job and work in an entirely Christian organization in order to glorify God?

I by nature am a programmer, do I need to put "Jesus Saves" pop-ups in every program? Do I need "God rocks" in the comments to glorify Him?

What makes my job different from anyone elses? Contact with the public maybe? What about people who work in Retail... Should they have Christian banners and Badges to glorify God?

Amount of people viewing it maybe? Film makers, Comic creators, Writers, Artists. Do they need Jesus in every single thing to glorify Him? Should every drawing have Jesus in the frame? Christian music for every movie? Angellic wars in every novel?

Christian Music is defined by the message, not the artists, not the music, not the venues. You can be a Christian and not write Christian songs. You can be an artist and not draw Christian pictures. You can be a writer and not write Christian novels.

However... The More Christ is a part of your life, the more He will come through your work whether you intend it or not. Someone said that what a man creates contains part of his soul, if this is true, then whatever a Christian creates will have something of God in it, whether intentional or not.

Finally I just want to say that I feel that music is one of the greatest gifts given to us by God. That is the main reason why I feel we should use it to give praise and honor to him and him alone. While I think that it is o.k. to sing about your everyday problems at least bring those problems around and show how God helped you through them.

Sorry I don't agree. I don't think music should be placed on a higher pedestal than anything else.

1 Cor 12: 28 "And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. "

I don't see Worship leaders in that list. I don't see Christian musicians in that list. So I'm going to say that prophets and teachers and those who clean the church are far more important than any musician.

-------------------------------------------
There are books of the Bible without a single mention of God (Esther I think), yet this is scripture and is not sinful. There are Psalms which are incredibly depressing with no mention of God in the positive, but how the Psalmist feels rejected and crushed by Him. This is not sinful either.

So why should Modern day Christian musicians be treated any differently than David and the rest of the Psalmists? If they can sing horrifically depressing and miserable songs, why can't we?
Because it's scripture is not good enough. They were people too and God is not a respecter of person but treats us all the same.

If they can sing songs of sadness and their pain, so can we.
If they can sing songs of praise and worship, so can we.
If they can sing about whatever is on their hearts, so can we.

And none of it is sin.

Reeper
11-28-2005, 05:32 AM
I didn't say that music was on a higher pedestal. I said it was one of the greatest gifts not the greatest. And I would call worship leaders, teachers and at times prophets by the way. So I would say they are on that list. Plus this is simply an opinion, if you don't agree o.k.

Now I never said that christian music has to have the word God in it or Jesus. I said the message should be conveyed, which it is in Esther and through the Psalms. If people want to write songs like the Psalms that is fine with me (I think Skillet does that quite a bit).

Finally I never mentioned that any of this was sin. In fact I said that I don't think it is sin. I simply said it saddens me. I don't think God calls anyone to leadership in the church to not proclaim his message. Now if someone is not being called by God then that is fine, for instance the comic writer you mentioned. However I will say that it is possible to write a christian comic strip or even a christian themed comic strip which puts christian ideals into the heads of the people reading it. I would say, though I don't know if this was intended or not, that Superman is for the most part a christian themed comic strip. The views set forth by Superman are very commonly christian. The same may be true for video games, and so forth. I said before that people should maybe re-evaluate what they are doing cause this could be the case. They may be able to proclaim God's word in their work. If they re-evaluate and don't feel called to do this that's fine. There are other ways to win people to christ. I am not here to say that God is calling everyone into leadership.

All this said however this is all different from being a christian artist. They are leaders in the church whether they want to be or not. Whenever they are placed in front of people on stage they are leaders. This is why I feel you cannot be a christian in a band. It is not a job it is a calling.

Peace

terrasin
11-28-2005, 05:46 AM
Skynes has hit the nail strait on.

To musicians looking to make a career from music and not work at Bobs Taco Joint to help pay their way to shows, they have to consider how they can make money doing this. Bands like Skillet don't make millions, which is why they have to be constantly touring. Unlike bands like U2 who can work for one year and never have to work again, smaller bands don't have this luxery. And touring isn't everything either if you don't have the numbers. Such as earlier this year, there was a show in VA at a fair, and less than 100 people showed up for it. John told me that's the smallest crowd they have had in years. To these guys, this is their job. It's how they pay their bills. And now they have 2 kids they need to care for as well which will pretty much double the expences.

The point is, if bands like Skillet are restricted to write only about God, they will never reach their full potential as artists. How long do you think Skillet will last if they don't?

Also remember that the music industry has no retirment plan. Once a band is done, so is the money for the most part. If they aren't working, they get no pay. So they have to set back a good portion of what they make to make sure that they can support themselves.

CJ

skynes
11-28-2005, 06:00 AM
All this said however this is all different from being a christian artist. They are leaders in the church whether they want to be or not. Whenever they are placed in front of people on stage they are leaders. This is why I feel you cannot be a christian in a band. It is not a job it is a calling.

I'm sorry but I entirely disagree. Musicians are artists, they are not leaders. They are not leaders of any kind, church or otherwise.

If standing on stage makes you a leader, then Shigeru Miyamoto is a world-wide leader.

Music is not a calling, it can be a calling and I'm sure God does call some to music. But it is not confined to that. Some make music for fun, some for money, some for a calling.

How does being on stage make you a leader? What do you support this with?

Worship leaders are not in the scripture I quoted, It means what it means and Music is not a part of it. Worship leaders are not teaching the Word of God, nor are they prophesying. They CAN do those things, but those are separate to being a Worship Leader.

Teaching and Prophesy are separate Gifts to music. They can work together but they are not the same.

Reeper
11-28-2005, 06:35 AM
I'm sorry but I entirely disagree. Musicians are artists, they are not leaders. They are not leaders of any kind, church or otherwise.

If standing on stage makes you a leader, then Shigeru Miyamoto is a world-wide leader.

Music is not a calling, it can be a calling and I'm sure God does call some to music. But it is not confined to that. Some make music for fun, some for money, some for a calling.

How does being on stage make you a leader? What do you support this with?

Worship leaders are not in the scripture I quoted, It means what it means and Music is not a part of it. Worship leaders are not teaching the Word of God, nor are they prophesying. They CAN do those things, but those are separate to being a Worship Leader.

Teaching and Prophesy are separate Gifts to music. They can work together but they are not the same.

K. standing on stage makes them leaders in that they are on stage instructed people on how to act. They can either say punch someone in the face or lift your hands to God. It has more to do with the power they have over the people there. I am not saying that if you stand on stage you automatically become a leader. Musicians influence people through their music. Therefore they are leaders.

Next, I would guess from your post that you have never been touched by a song, or had a song lift you into the presence of God, or teach you something you didn't know before about God. I doubt however this is true. I agree teaching and prophesy are different from music. My point was that a worship leader can be a teacher and a prophet as well as a worship leader. In fact I think they have to be to be a really good one. My point was exactly the same as yours that worship leaders can be all those things, sometimes God calls teachers or prophets to put his ideas and messages in song. These people are called worship leaders or christian musicians. Worship leaders are just as much teachers as a sunday school teacher or so forth. Again my saying that music is one of the greatest gifts God gave us is an opinion. I don't think that it is greater than say the gift of life given to us by Jesus, but I do think it is a wonderful gift, just like the sunrise in the morning.

Now as far as the making money thing goes I simply have to re-reference Nightcrawler's post. Which would you rather have money wealth here on earth or a mansion in heaven? Which comes first pleasing God or pleasing your wallet? And as far as the how long would Skillet or any band last if they only write about God? I'll reference Petra, Audio Adrenaline, DC Talk, etc. for the answer to that. I don't know why we think that only writing about God is some kind of curse or punishment. It is most definitely possible to stick around for a long time only writing about God. To be honeset I would rather be unsuccessful as a christian artist and live in poverty my whole life than to sell out and write songs just to make money. But that is just me.

Wow, never thought I'd see this Reeper and Skynes debating over something. Guess there's a first time for everything. ;)

Peace

skynes
11-28-2005, 07:18 AM
First time for everything lol, I disagree with everyone over something, I just haven't always found it yet.

K. standing on stage makes them leaders in that they are on stage instructed people on how to act. They can either say punch someone in the face or lift your hands to God. It has more to do with the power they have over the people there. I am not saying that if you stand on stage you automatically become a leader. Musicians influence people through their music. Therefore they are leaders.

Who gives them that power? God? Or man? If man gave them that power, then the leadership is null toward God. God does not consider them a leader and they cannot be held responsible for the actions of fans.
If God called them to that position, and called them to lead with music, then they ARE responsible for their actions and those that take after them.

I know we're called to be lights in the world, but that does not put leadership onto every one of us. Being an example and being a leader are different. When you lead, others follow. what you give an example, people may or may not follow.

Worship music, leading people into God's presence, is not teaching anything. I've read time and again hymns and Christian songs which are blatently unbiblical. Worship leaders are not teachers.
Teachers need to spend large amounts of time reading scripture, praying etc. Before they even put pen to paper. I know musicians would do that too. But a teacher bases their entire job around reading, praying and ministering what they learn, Musicians do not.

A Musicians income is based upon their music first and foremost. Not how well educated they are in the Bible. Yes they will study, but not the extent a Teacher will. Those are separate Ministries, some leaders teach, some teachers lead worship, but that is not true in all cases.

I never said there's something wrong with writing about God constantly, sorry if it sounded like that.
What I Was saying is that they don't have to write about God constantly. They are free to write and sing about other things too and that is ok.
It isn't sinful for them to decide to write a song about the misery of alcohol abuse or how beautiful a summers dawn is.
My problem is when a Christian musician is handed an ultimatum of "Write blatently Christian lyrics or you are a terrible Christian and are not glorifying God".
Why can't God be glorified by other things? The Bible says "What your hands find to do, do it with your might". To do something to the best of your ability is glorifying to God.

What about Christian artists who do not use music as a ministry? But as an income? Do the rules somehow unfairly apply to them too?
If one Christian is called to make a Christian webcomic, does that mean that all Christians with webcomics MUST make them Christian?

By my working in a secular Governmental organisation, Am I selling out? By going to a secular University, am I selling out?
For those who work in non-Christian sandwich shops, are they selling out?
For those who work in secular Youth Work, are they selling out?
For those with teaching skills who DONT minister in a church or sunday school, are they selling out?

Reeper
11-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Well, the deeper we get into this the less I think we are actually disagreeing, just talking around each other.

I totally agreed with basically everything you said. I totally agree that christian musicians don't have to write about God all the time. Songs about how bad alcohol abuse is and how beautiful the early morning sky is are perfectly fine. Even silly songs are alright. Like Five Iron they are a great christian band in my opinion but not all their songs were about God. The important thing in my opinion is that the christian messages and values are conveyed. Basically what I am saying is if you write a song about begging God to be your escape don't try and disguise it in your video by making it look like you are begging a girl to be your escape.

Now as far as worship leaders go, I think that they should spend just as much time as a teacher in the word. If they don't I don't think they should be a worship leader. And the same goes for any christian musician in my opinion. And also I think that no matter who gave them the power they are still responsible for their actions. If God gave them the power obviously they are responsible to him, if man gave them the power they are still responsible to God for their actions as christians. I understand what you are saying but whether they felt called or not they are in a position of power and whether or not anyone gave them the power they are still responsible as christians to God, whether leader or not. I don't know if I said that understandably if you need a more clear explanation ask and I'll try.

Now, I agree that not everyone is called into leadership. Thatis why I said that in the re-evalutaion they should look into themselves and see if they feel called. If they don't then they are not being called into leaderdship, if they do then they are being called into leadership and should think hard about if what they are doing is what God wants. That's all I'm saying. The same goes for the webcomic people and so forth. If they feel called to create a webcomic that is christ based they should do so, if not then they probably shouldn't, the last thing we need is someone who really does not feel called to do this trying to piece it together. This would most likely result in something of poor quality. Now if they don't feel called, that does not mean that they are sinning, it simply means that is not God's idea for them. However there are other ways to reach people with the message of christ.

I guess my main point is if you feel called do it, and if you don't feel called don't do it, but don't try and pass it off as christian. That is really my main problem. Is people trying to pass off christian people in a band as a christian band. Just becaue they are christians does not automatically make their music so. If you don't feel led to proclaim christ openly in your music fine, I'm not the one to tell you to that is the man up stairs. But in your life you better proclaim him. When you get the chance you better tell people about your faith and if you don't you are not living up to your end of the deal as a christian. Now I understand the whole money thing, but again who is your God? Yahweh or mamon? Choose. If you are afraid to proclaim God in your life for fear that your fan base might not like it, then I say you have chosen.

Peace

skynes
11-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Heh... ack well... and there I was opening for a Flame war.. WARG! Lol.

What you were (before you last post) sounded like was that if you a Christian musician, you are called to that, called to leadership and must blatantly put God into everything. That was the assumption I was working on based on information given here.
Glad to see I was wrong ;D

Basically what I am saying is if you write a song about begging God to be your escape don't try and disguise it in your video by making it look like you are begging a girl to be your escape.

This I agree with. Stick with the original intentions and meaning. It's also why I didn't like the video for Savior. It did really seem to change what the entire song was about. It's no longer Jesus the Savior, it's mummy the savior from the bully daddy.

think hard about if what they are doing is what God wants. That's all I'm saying. The same goes for the webcomic people and so forth. If they feel called to create a webcomic that is christ based they should do so, if not then they probably shouldn't, the last thing we need is someone who really does not feel called to do this trying to piece it together.
That is exactly why I think that Christian musicians should not be forced into Christian music! If they do Christian music, GREAT! If they don't, big deal!

I think too many Christian bands are forced into the Christian thing because of the attitude of "Christians in a band = Christian band, must do Christian music" then when they end up screwing up and marring the name of Christ (inevitable), THEY get blamed for it. NOT the people who forced them into it in the first place.

I guess my main point is if you feel called do it, and if you don't feel called don't do it, but don't try and pass it off as christian.

I would reword this as: If God calls you to Christian music, make Christian music. If He doesn't, then you don't have to make Christian music, but that doesn't mean you can't make music, nor does it mean you can't glorify God with music.

Now I understand the whole money thing, but again who is your God? Yahweh or mamon? Choose. If you are afraid to proclaim God in your life for fear that your fan base might not like it, then I say you have chosen.

This is again different to what I was talking about. There's nothing wrong with making music as a job and earning money because of it. Even if money is the reason you do it, that's fine too, we all work for money! That's the point of a job!

When money is life priority number 1, then there's a problem

theelectric3
11-28-2005, 07:28 PM
i believe artists need to be honest in their lyrics and music. it comes from deep within and birthed out of life experiences (good or bad). honesty births passion. passion attracts ears and hearts.

(God is the Creator of music. therefore, i believe God can flow through a band - regardless of whether or not they say His name. )

Reeper
11-29-2005, 09:17 AM
I would reword this as: If God calls you to Christian music, make Christian music. If He doesn't, then you don't have to make Christian music, but that doesn't mean you can't make music, nor does it mean you can't glorify God with music.

Nor does it mean that you should create music that conveys ideas contrary to your christian beliefs.

skynes
11-30-2005, 12:27 AM
Of course. If a 'Christian' band did that, I would be very wary of them.

Unless of course they had a good reason for it. Like doing a song about the eradication of Sin from Sin's perspective, how it feels persecuted against and it tries to convince its slave that he needs sin in his life, that it's comfortable and now a lie at all.

Of course it's all lies, which would be the entire point of it.

terrasin
11-30-2005, 06:34 AM
Nor does it mean that you should create music that conveys ideas contrary to your christian beliefs.
Maybe some don't have the same beliefs as you do? ;)

Why would you write music that contradicts the same things you believe? That would be kind of pointless.

CJ

Reeper
11-30-2005, 06:49 AM
Maybe some don't have the same beliefs as you do? ;)

Why would you write music that contradicts the same things you believe? That would be kind of pointless.

CJ

I understand that people might have different beliefs than I do. ;)

However the reason you would write music that contradicts your beliefs would be to make money.

Peace

unshakeable15
12-02-2005, 10:27 PM
then you probably don't hold those beliefs like you think you did in the first place.

and most importantly, you'd be lying, one way or another (to yourself about your beliefs or to the public through the song). one thing people are drawn to, mostly unknowingly, is honesty. conversely, they reject fakeness. so, in the long run, that musician would fail.

lee
12-03-2005, 07:43 AM
god the a power to musicians, the power is to move emotions. many other people have this gift,but musicians have as well. i'm a musician ands i love music, soo i hate it when some one is sooo unoriginal!! christian music is now and always coppied the mainstream, their have been some great christain bands and singers who were very original, but over all christian music rips off mainstream. and i know a lot of bands and singers who have so many thoughts and beliefs and can't speak them out, and that makes me soo , mad!!! but i have noticed that the biggest genre to just speak their mind is the christain metal bands. they are very poetic when they right their songs. this is just my opinion..

drumchick101
12-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Ya, I get annoyed when a christian band ripps off of mainstream because they think that that will get them farther in the industry. Music is what comes our of YOU, not what comes out of everyone else.

Umm... Christians that are blessed with musical talent (and especially a record deal of any sort) are to glorify God. BLATENTLY. Money is nothing, God is everything. Record labels should never be the basis for censoring God, and artists should not abide by such censoring because of the fact that it is a record label.

Blatently worship God, it offends the people with which the cross seems foolish.

What makes a band different from a job? To some people, making music IS their job.

I work with unbelievers, I go to school with unbelievers, I have contact with unbelievers daily, do I need to re-evaluate what I'm doing? Do I need to quit my job and work in an entirely Christian organization in order to glorify God?

Ya, I'm a combo of these two. I believe that all music was made to glorify God, but glorifing God doesn't mean shoving your faith down their throat every two seconds. That would be embarassing God. Play music, write lyrics and just see what comes out of it. If you are on fire for God, He will come out in many of your lyrics. But if God doesn't naturally come into your lyrics than don't put Him there. I am no one to judge of who is christian and who is not. Consider them christian if they say they are, not like it mattters though. It's between them and God.

i believe artists need to be honest in their lyrics and music. it comes from deep within and birthed out of life experiences (good or bad). honesty births passion. passion attracts ears and hearts.

(God is the Creator of music. therefore, i believe God can flow through a band - regardless of whether or not they say His name. )

Ya, I'm a huge fan of passion in music. That is what makes it good. Actually, my mom askes me all the time why in the world I listen to screeming in music and that's what I tell her, it's the passion. She doesn't agree, haha, that's becasue she's my mom. She's a softie type and theres nothing wrong with that :).

And God uses non christian sorces to speak to me all the time. Just because they are not christians doesn't mean that they are not displaying biblical principals in what they are doing. So many non christians are preaching and they don't even know it ;).

Now, I will conclude by saying that all the bands I listen to can be considered christian in one way or another(by this I mean that they sing about God in some way..I actually don't even know). This is because my mom would kill me if she found out otherwise. I come from a very sheltered christian home (she doesn't want me making the same mistakes that she did) and she would not agree with much I say. However, I think that is one of the big things that is different with this gerneration from the last. The impression I get from my mom is that we are to be isolated from the rest of the world. We must interact with them, but I think that she wouldn't mind living on an island with all christians and never leave. I believe we are meant to be sanctified and set apart from them. This means we follow the bible and do what it says...this separates us very much. But we musn't be isolated. If we don't live with them, how can they live with us?

><sarah><

skynes
12-03-2005, 10:50 AM
How can you really know if the Christian bands rip off the mainstream?

Any time a rock band with a Female vocalist comes out, they instantly get branded with 'Evanescence clone'

Well what if they were around long before Evanescence? How many years were they together and practicing and doing tiny shows before they were signed by a label?

I think becoming a big Christian band is much harder than becoming a big Mainstream band because Christians are much more isolated. So when a band DOES get big, they get branded as a clone, even if they did that style of music first.

drumchick101
12-03-2005, 06:37 PM
*smirk* Good point. And it is quite hard to be original these days. I sopose that's where disernment of music comes in. But, there are unmistakable clones out there.

><sarah><

ps. Did bengimin gate get the "evenesence clone" accusation? Because if they did, that would be entertaining because they are nothing like evenesence.

disciple
12-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Good point, Scott. Most people dub the entire genre a cop-out because they think it's ripping off "real" rock music.

I don't.

If I did, I wouldn't listen to Flyleaf and not Evanescence.

Isildur9473
12-03-2005, 06:46 PM
It seems to me that no Christian music is like real rock music so how could it rip off? For a while, I thought that Christian music was a rip off, but upon listening to it I realized that it was, for the most part its own subgenres.

skilletfreak101
12-15-2005, 03:44 PM
i believe that when it comes to bands..secular and christian bands are the same..just with different lifestyles and beliefs(of course...hehe)...but christian bands want to form their own style just like any other secular band would. a christian band doesn't just copy another band and add christian lyrics. i'll admit...there are some secular bands that are better than some christian bands...but there are also some secular bands that are better than some other secular bands. so christian bands aren't "rip-offs," they are bands with a bigger powerful message.

lee
12-31-2005, 05:46 PM
i'm saying some christian artist and bands aren't original, and that's not right. for example, when the beages brought out their cd" dance fever", a month later a christian artist by the name of david meece brought out is cd that was the same exact thing only with christian lyrics. a lot of christian artist might have a better meaning to their music, but it sounds like the same thing, and that really ticks my off!! although some christian artist like, keith green, michael w. smith, and skillet were totally original. i'm not saying that all of christian music is a rip-off from mainstream, i'm just saying that secular market has much more talented artist, and we seem to copy them. it just makes me really sad that we have very few really talented artist in the christian market..

kittygirl
01-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Plain and simple answer. You cannot, and should not, try to keep an artist from writing about whatever they want. Part of art is the ability to create. In Christian music, there hasn't been much creating. Put in any 5 cds and they all have a very similar topic and message. There is nothing artistic about joining the popular scene. Art comes from inside and I've seen too many people try to think that Christian music should be "controlled".

I say just let them write about what they want.

CJ
Exactly right.
I've had people try to 'witness' to me, and others if they find out I like a song and/or band that might not be Christian. The point is, Christian or not, it has to line up with the bible somehow.

Example:Love
Love is self-sacrificing, always pure, just, hopeful, prevailing(even after death)etc. That is in the bible. God is love, and human love is just as beautiful, even though we are born broken, and flawed. Through God, love can be made more.

There is a difference between love and lust, when it gets perverted into something that is not of God, then it is sinful.

Example:happiness. Yeah, I'm havin' a great day! The flowers are growing, the birds are singing! God wants us to be joyful and have a good time.

One thing that seriously gets under my skin is when people say that fun, dancing, and music that has a beat is of the devil. Absolutely not true. Jesus can speak to us through anything.

Jesus wants us to have fun, have a great time, and listen to music. He likes us dancing too. As the church, we need to get more radical, and break down these walls that religon has put up that makes up these little rules of what you can and cannot do.

We need to get dancing, declaring, praising, raising!

as~i~lay~dying
01-01-2006, 02:30 PM
However, I don't think a [Christian] band always necessarily has to be praising God or pushing Salvation through their music. I certainly believe that praising God is essential to our very being, especially through music, but in life we are given a host of matters and issues that surround us everyday. Music is a medium for whatever you wish it to be. I think it's only natural to mention how much God has done for you in your life in your music whether or not all your music is intended to be praiseworthy, but I don't take it as my place to judge a band that doesn't.

I agree with this. I think you should be able to tell a difference.But also I guess if the lyrics arent anything against the bible then it's ok. I also think there could be some pretty skrewed up christian bands out there, becasue satan is trying to get to us and singers/songwriters are human to so he could easily influence them. ummm....I guess just use biblical discernment~ Like terrasin said you shouldnt keep someone from writing what they wnat...but if it's affecting you in a bad way or your convicted of it then dont listen to it~ :)