nukrof
12-01-2005, 02:52 AM
I found out about a totally awesome band today by the name of Jonah33, i heard also that John wrote 2 or 3 tracks on the album (they've only had one). Does anyone know about this? If so, I'd be interested in knowing what tracks John wrote or helped to write, or if he did at all.

Thanks.

nukrof
12-01-2005, 03:20 AM
Ok, I found it out. John and Korey Cooper wrote three songs on Jonah 33's debut album (self titled). "Watching you die", "Death and the life" and "God of my life". When i heard "watching you die" it has a real skillet feel to it. Hear samples on the below website:

http://www.grassrootsmusic.com/artist/jonah33/jonah331

terrasin
12-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Old news, mate. :P

Good songs though.

CJ

Stridergorn
12-01-2005, 03:29 PM
I love Watching You Die. It rocks so hard. John really tapped into his morbid side for that one.
But I think Jonah33 released a new album... didn't they?

theelectric3
12-01-2005, 04:40 PM
yeah. i haven't heard it though... it'd be interesting to see their songwriting skills.

Paulishdog
12-01-2005, 05:00 PM
I love Watching You Die.

Though I've reduced myself to an infrequent lurker... I had to point that out. ;D

terrasin
12-01-2005, 06:08 PM
I got to hear one of their new songs a few weeks back. It was... ehh... ok at best.

CJ

theelectric3
12-01-2005, 07:59 PM
hmmm....ok.... :-\

korey_cooper_jr
12-02-2005, 02:46 AM
Well, I heard a couple of their new songs online, and my absolute favorite is "You Instead of Me". Here's some places you can stream their new music:

http://www.myspace.com/jonah33

http://www.purevolume.com/jonah33

Btw, their new album, "The Strangest Day" comes out Dec. 27th
Here's the song list:

1. The Strangest Day
2. Tell Me
3. Desensitized
4. Burning Clean
5. Mystery
6. Solution
7. You Instead Of Me
8. Search Me and Know Me
9. Need To Let Go
10. Open Up Your Eyes
11. Father's Song

amodman
12-02-2005, 08:22 AM
I got to hear one of their new songs a few weeks back. It was... ehh... ok at best.

CJ

I STRONGLY agree...I was very dissapointed 'cause I'm a huge fan of their first cd...

Stridergorn
12-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Though I've reduced myself to an infrequent lurker... I had to point that out. ;D

Hahaha. I'm disappointed in myself. I always end up catching stuff like that.

terrasin
12-02-2005, 03:41 PM
I STRONGLY agree...I was very dissapointed 'cause I'm a huge fan of their first cd...
Yes, their first cd was very well done. I've not heard but one song from the new one and I was slightly disappointed. I will have to listen to the rest, me thinks.

CJ

whereami
12-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Quite agreed, their old stuff rocked so hard it made me want to buy 4 different copies of their cd so i could put one in each cd player in my house and in my car and have a never ending stream of jonah33. but i didnt.

their new stuff is, um, lame-ish. its DEFINANTLY not as good as their first stuff. ohwell, thats the way things go.

skilletfreak101
12-05-2005, 03:27 PM
I love Watching You Die. It rocks so hard. John really tapped into his morbid side for that one.
But I think Jonah33 released a new album... didn't they?
their new cd doesn't come out till december 26th or something like that...i've heard 2 new songs from the new cd and i can't say im disapointed...i think i still like the older songs better...but the new songs are still really good considering that they are completely on their own now(john cooper isn't helping them out)...and even though their new style is a little different than it was...they still have that raw grunge sound to them...just a little more driven

theelectric3
12-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Well, I heard a couple of their new songs online, and my absolute favorite is "You Instead of Me". Here's some places you can stream their new music:

http://www.myspace.com/jonah33

http://www.purevolume.com/jonah33

Btw, their new album, "The Strangest Day" comes out Dec. 27th
Here's the song list:

1. The Strangest Day
2. Tell Me
3. Desensitized
4. Burning Clean
5. Mystery
6. Solution
7. You Instead Of Me
8. Search Me and Know Me
9. Need To Let Go
10. Open Up Your Eyes
11. Father's Song

ah, ok. thanks. :) i should have figured they'd have a myspace or purevolume. i'll go check it out later.

amodman
12-05-2005, 09:07 PM
their new cd doesn't come out till december 26th or something like that...i've heard 2 new songs from the new cd and i can't say im disapointed...i think i still like the older songs better...but the new songs are still really good considering that they are completely on their own now(john cooper isn't helping them out)...and even though their new style is a little different than it was...they still have that raw grunge sound to them...just a little more driven

I wouldn't say John is the only reason the first album was great. He only wrote, what, 2 songs? And Korey 1 other I believe? Sure, they helped 'em, but Jonah33 came up with a lot of great stuff all on their own! Not to mention their obvious talent to actually play the music, lol. I think they're just trying out some different things for this one...and IMO, it sucks (so far, anywway - very forgettable unlike their s/t) :(.

skilletfreak101
12-10-2005, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't say John is the only reason the first album was great. He only wrote, what, 2 songs? And Korey 1 other I believe? Sure, they helped 'em, but Jonah33 came up with a lot of great stuff all on their own! Not to mention their obvious talent to actually play the music, lol. I think they're just trying out some different things for this one...and IMO, it sucks (so far, anywway - very forgettable unlike their s/t) :(.
well actually, john cooper helped out jonah33 alot on the self titled. he wrote 2 of the songs, co-produced the album, and played alot of the bass and guitar on it..so yeah...but w/e..i think jonah33's new music is really good..and if you think about it...on the selftitled cd, when they came out with singles, you only heard the slower songs or the less-good songs...the rest of the selftitled cd was amazing...so maybe that's what it will be like for their new cd

amodman
12-10-2005, 10:14 PM
if you think about it...on the selftitled cd, when they came out with singles, you only heard the slower songs or the less-good songs...the rest of the selftitled cd was amazing...so maybe that's what it will be like for their new cd

I didn't think so. Faith Like That is one of my favoite songs...Slow does not = bad. Sub-par = bad, lol.

edit: Though, I should clarify, Faith Like That isn't necessarily that slow of a song. I'm just assuming that's what you were talking about? (only slower single I can think, but I like all the slower songs on the cd as well as harder ones)

skilletfreak101
12-13-2005, 05:52 PM
I didn't think so. Faith Like That is one of my favoite songs...Slow does not = bad. Sub-par = bad, lol.

edit: Though, I should clarify, Faith Like That isn't necessarily that slow of a song. I'm just assuming that's what you were talking about? (only slower single I can think, but I like all the slower songs on the cd as well as harder ones)
well don't get me wrong...i do think faith like that is an amazing song...but compared to the rest of the cd...it's pretty different than the other songs.

ccjamp
12-14-2005, 03:56 AM
Watching you die sounds like something from Skillet's 'Invincible' album :lick:

skilletfreak101
12-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Watching you die sounds like something from Skillet's 'Invincible' album :lick:
are you kidding me????

ccjamp
12-15-2005, 04:23 AM
are you kidding me????

Well, not the theme of the song...or the rythym for that matter...

but some of the effects they used in the studio for that song.

the_jesta
12-15-2005, 04:29 AM
I think it is a very typical Cooper song. Which is not a bad thing...

skilletfreak101
12-15-2005, 11:02 AM
I think it is a very typical Cooper song. Which is not a bad thing...
yes i agree lyricwise that it is a typical cooper song...very subleminal and powerful...but i think instrument-wise it's more grungy...which is pretty sweet

skilletfreak101
12-27-2005, 05:10 PM
i just got jonah33's new cd in the mail today...it's awesome

heavenly_notion
01-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Their first CD was amazing, I loved how they threw in just enough of the soft, hard, fast, slow, and everything in between. I've only heard 2 songs from their new album on christianrock.net and I personally wasn't disappointed. It wasn't exactly as great as I remember (seems like less energy in them) but I'm definitely going to get their album when it comes out (we have to wait longer in Canada most of the time. sucky, i know)

Divine Mystery
01-03-2006, 03:05 PM
I sampled the songs from their self-titled CD some months ago. I like some of the songs, and if John is the only one who wrote the song, the_jesta, I agree with you - Watching You Die is definitely a typical John Cooper song. Not just lyric-wise, but musically as well...Even the song's structure has it (I think I will stop there). Maybe that's going too far - I don't know how much of the song he wrote or co-wrote, but it definitely sounds John Cooper-esque. (Though that too is hard to say because we, or at least I, don't know precicely who does what in Skillet - What each member's sounds and styles are. I wish I did though - I always like knowing the intricacies of things, the exact how's and why's, etc. Especially in music 8). Well at any rate we probably shouldn't be too concerned about that, I feel funny poking into their business.

Going back to Jonah33. I must say that the drums, in the chorus of "Faith Like That" sound very akin to the drums played on the Foo Fighter's "My Hero", minus the effects. Actually..The entire chorus seems to reference "My Hero"'s chorus, though I'm going to try and assume it's coincidence. (The message in Jonah33's far succeed's the Foo's song though, and is still a great song*.) I generally don't like to make such comparisons, but sometimes it is unavoidable.

*Not to knock the message in "My Hero" either - That always has been a great song, message and music-wise: "That's my way of saying that when I was young, I didn't have big rock heroes, I didn't want to grow up and be some big sporting hero. My heroes were ordinary people and the people that I have a lot of respect for are just solid everyday people - people you can rely on." - Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters on the song. I like it, though any song positively speaking of/praising Jesus is and always will be infinitely better.

skilletfreak101
01-16-2006, 07:15 PM
I sampled the songs from their self-titled CD some months ago. I like some of the songs, and if John is the only one who wrote the song, the_jesta, I agree with you - Watching You Die is definitely a typical John Cooper song. Not just lyric-wise, but musically as well...Even the song's structure has it (I think I will stop there). Maybe that's going too far - I don't know how much of the song he wrote or co-wrote, but it definitely sounds John Cooper-esque. (Though that too is hard to say because we, or at least I, don't know precicely who does what in Skillet - What each member's sounds and styles are. I wish I did though - I always like knowing the intricacies of things, the exact how's and why's, etc. Especially in music 8). Well at any rate we probably shouldn't be too concerned about that, I feel funny poking into their business.

Going back to Jonah33. I must say that the drums, in the chorus of "Faith Like That" sound very akin to the drums played on the Foo Fighter's "My Hero", minus the effects. Actually..The entire chorus seems to reference "My Hero"'s chorus, though I'm going to try and assume it's coincidence. (The message in Jonah33's far succeed's the Foo's song though, and is still a great song*.) I generally don't like to make such comparisons, but sometimes it is unavoidable.

*Not to knock the message in "My Hero" either - That always has been a great song, message and music-wise: "That's my way of saying that when I was young, I didn't have big rock heroes, I didn't want to grow up and be some big sporting hero. My heroes were ordinary people and the people that I have a lot of respect for are just solid everyday people - people you can rely on." - Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters on the song. I like it, though any song positively speaking of/praising Jesus is and always will be infinitely better.
holy crap i just listened to my hero and the chorus sounds very similar to faith like that...and the drums are pretty much exactly the same

petrameansrock
02-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Yeah I saw Jonah33 at SHOUTfest, they were pretty good. I liked that song "Watching You Die" but I cant get into many of the other songs on the CD. Probably because John didnt write them.

skilletfreak101
02-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Yeah I saw Jonah33 at SHOUTfest, they were pretty good. I liked that song "Watching You Die" but I cant get into many of the other songs on the CD. Probably because John didnt write them.
that's pretty sad