NightCrawler
12-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I think I am going to stop posting here except in threads where emotional appeals and politics are not rampant. It gets to be unreasonable on whatever sides of the arguments pretty fast.

Quick, make some new threads! Let's use some logic, facts, and theories!

Isildur9473
12-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Lets make a thread talking about the importance of being earnest.

NightCrawler
12-06-2005, 06:55 PM
(seriously, look at the top 20 threads in this forum... and notice how blatant everything is construed to personal preference over the actual problems/facts/scenarios...)

Isildur9473
12-06-2005, 06:57 PM
My liberalness prevents this thread from mattering to me. I'm also overly emotional about the fact that I can't argue my points very well.

In other news, I agree with you.

NightCrawler
12-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Lets make a thread talking about the importance of being earnest.
"Heartfelt, serious and diligent, emotionally intense and solemn."
www.godonthe.net/dictionary/e.html (http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=4&oi=define&q=http://www.godonthe.net/dictionary/e.html) ?

'characterized by a firm and humorless belief in the validity of your opinions; "both sides were deeply in earnest, even passionate"; "an entirely sincere and cruel tyrant"; "a film with a solemn social message" '

I think there are hundreds of topics that can be discussed over, without just a preference, emotional stance, or 'what you've been raised on' to think. Pretty much avoiding argument fallacies...

amodman
12-06-2005, 07:32 PM
The Humanatarian Theory of Punishment vs. the Retrubutivist? Do you believe the goal of punishment is to cure the criminal and/or deter others within society of committing that same crime, or do you believe the goal of punishment is Justice. That is, you punish the wrongdoer proportional to their crime no matter what? Why or why not?

How do you define "just" war? Does it exist? Do you prefer the traditional Aquinian model or that of modern day theorists dealing with just cause and just means?

Do you think foreign aid should be provided to other countries? On what scale and how? Does this encourage or inhibit their ability to provide for themselves? Should we not be encouraging population spikes to overpopulate the land, or does it even matter? Does providing as much aid as we can to other countries inhibit out own ability for growth? Should their be itnernational resources for these problems? Should their be international law at all?

Don't just respond to any of these questions in a thread with an opinion. State why you believe such things and how you would you respond to those who might disagree. In any case, I am not just finishing Intro To Ethics this semester ;).

skynes
12-07-2005, 01:02 AM
You know that Temporal Theory thread is still floating around...

If anyone has anything new to discuss that is.

Go and start any kind of logic/facts/theory based thread and I'll be more than happy to discuss it

Spiffles
12-07-2005, 01:11 AM
logic?? whats that?? ;) ;D

disciple
12-07-2005, 12:26 PM
I agree that there need to be more fact-based threads.

However, don't look down on personal experiences. Without them, I'd be even dumber than I am right now. :P

NightCrawler
12-18-2005, 09:44 PM
I agree that there need to be more fact-based threads.

However, don't look down on personal experiences. Without them, I'd be even dumber than I am right now. :PWho was looking down on personal experience?

disciple
12-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Who was looking down on personal experience?
I don't know. Was there anybody looking down on it? You tell me. :P

skynes
12-19-2005, 12:50 AM
No, just that a lot of the recent threads are all opinion and idea based with no reference to facts and scripture.