animeraven34
12-07-2005, 01:59 PM
How to Be a Good Christian by Today’s Widely Accepted Standards

Being a good Christian is not hard, anyone can do it, especially by using today’s standards. Hypocrisy, arrogance, hatred, anger, lying, back stabbing, it’s all accepted in today’s version of Christianity! One doesn’t even really have to follow God! One just has to claim that you do.
The first step to being a good, modern day Christian is the most simple. Just claim to be a Christian. That’s it. You don’t even have to follow what Christ said in the Bible. Take the Catholics for example. They are idol worshipping Christians. Christ himself, while he was dying on the cross, denied his own mother, and yet much of Catholicism revolves around the holy mother of God, Mary. But this process does not simply stop there, not if you want to be considered a “good Christian”.
Next is another stage of hypocrisy. Dressing up and going to church every week to “worship”. This is not hard either. All it requires is going to church on Sunday morning, acting like one is in some sort of a religious ecstasy during the music, pretending one is hanging on the pastor’s every word, saying “amen” after every prayer, and looking down on those who don’t follow suit. If someone shows up in jeans and a t-shirt, sits in the back pews and doesn’t say anything, than you must act like you are holier than they are. This is not as simple a step as it may seem. One has to fight off that little voice that tells you what you are doing is wrong.
It is possible to take this step even further, especially if one wants to be a “great” Christian. To be a “great” Christian one must be very public with how good a person one is and how well one follows Christ. There are many ways one can achieve this. Having several unnecessary Bibles in one’s home is a widely used method. Other widely used methods include putting Christian stickers, emblems, and symbols on one’s car, putting a Bible verse as an email signature, misquoting scripture, listening to nothing but “Christian” music, denouncing people and things as evil, and being very open and public with how much and how often you help “those less fortunate”. This last method is done by announcing how much you put in the collection plate, how much you give to charities, and glancing in the direction of one of the “less fortunate” when you talk about these things at church. The next step can be difficult, especially if you know anyone who is very perceptive.
The next, and possibly the most important, step is to always claim to be and look like one is happy. There are two things that can make this difficult. The first is that annoying little voice in one’s head. The second is people that one might know who are very perceptive of how people truly feel. But there are ways around these difficulties. For that little voice, all one need do is ignore it. To deal with the perceptive, one just has to claim to be happy no matter how much they might ask what is bothering you, eventually they will give up.
But to make this last step work, one’s personal and spiritual life must be in shambles. After all, the point is to appear to be a good or great Christian, not actually be one; actually being one takes too much effort. If one’s personal and spiritual lives are not already in shambles, it is not a difficult thing to achieve. There are some simple guidelines, ignore God, don’t read your Bible outside of church and church activities, and do stuff that you know is wrong. That’s all there is to it. By following those simple guidelines, one’s personal and spiritual lives will be in shambles very quickly.
Being a Christian has never been easier than it is in this day and age. Being a “good” Christian takes a little more work, but it is still far easier to be one by today’s standards than the standards that are actually in the Bible. How many Christians actually know that the word “Christian” means follower of the teachings Christ, after all?
However there is one more step. If one ever comes across some sort of a sarcastic, cynical, satirical movie, book, song, or essay about modern Christianity, you must overreact irrationally! After all, one can not allow people who might know what they are talking about tell you that you are not a good Christian! That is the most important thing of all. One just can not let people tell you how a Christian should act or what it means to be a Christian! Not even Christ himself! So just ignore that little voice in the back of your head, shoot down all logical ideas, and try not to notice that emptiness inside. What’s inside doesn’t matter anyway, it is all about appearances. If the world sees one as a great Christian, than, really, what else matters?

Comments? Questions?

Isildur9473
12-07-2005, 02:35 PM
I never, ever want to visit Kansas. :)

animeraven34
12-07-2005, 02:49 PM
LOL!! Just imagine living here. :P

Isildur9473
12-07-2005, 02:52 PM
LOL!! Just imagine living here. :P

I live in Idaho. I guess you do have it better. :)

I've been to Kansas before, it's really flat, and the sky turns funny colors. There's also a lot of farming.

Idaho is constantly freezing, and full of Mormons and neo Nazi's. :\

animeraven34
12-07-2005, 03:12 PM
I live in Idaho. I guess you do have it better. :)

I've been to Kansas before, it's really flat, and the sky turns funny colors. There's also a lot of farming.

Idaho is constantly freezing, and full of Mormons and neo Nazi's. :\
I know, I've been there. I have family that lives there actually. And yes, there is a LOT of farming here. :P

drumchick101
12-07-2005, 03:21 PM
OOOOOOOO man.......The rant is surging......

I hate this so much I could spit. I hate that this is our definition of "christian." Jesus, why have we fosaken you? We have and it's not our fault, we are just teenagers. Is it our parents' fault?? is it their parents' fault? Where did it stop? I suppose none of this matters now. The only thing we can do is change this...& we will. We start by showing the love of Christ...you know...that not always fuzzy thing that goes until death? The entire reason we are all here? Yes, that thing. That something that is more than useless docterine. That something (well, someone) is Jesus and the love and hope He brought to mankind. Of course, our efforts are seemingly negligable but so was Isreal's chance in just about every story in the Bible. All was hopeless until God showed up. This generalzation of chrisitanity is shaming His name and everything He came to do.

Here's a song by the supertones that describs this pretty well. (I cut some of it out)

"I forgot to say the revolution starts with you.
See wisdom and knowledge is one thing that we lack
You’ve been a christian how long and you’re still on similac
So I call on martin luther and all the reformation back
Then the common people couldn’t read god’s revelation
You had to be a monk or a priest or read latin
That was all before the revolution happened
But the fire cooled down ever since that generation
We put down the Bible and pick up the play station
And we can’t defend our faith ’cause we don’t even know it
We say we love his word but pick a funny way to show it.
The world walks by and we don’t have a thing to say
I call ’em as I see ’em
And that’s what I see today

Chorus:
The revolution returns
The reformation lives on
The great awakening is now
Sleepers open your eyes
A war is on, our rally cry is no compromise
No compromise, yeah, no compromise
A war is on, our battle cry is no compromise
So throw your fist up and pray the revolution rise
A war is on, our rally cry is no compromise

Our hearts have grown so cold
And we’ve such numb souls
But shirts and bumper stickers
Man we got ’em by the truckload
Is true religion what you have around your wrist
What does the scripture say of this

They honor me with words
But their hearts are far away
I call ’em like I see ’em
And that’s what I see today
So I call on john edwards
Who preched us all awake
We try to be emotional but here is our mistake
As a church we lack repentance and we lack true affection
Not only in our minds but our hearts need correction
And man that’s true religion, resignation and contrition
To love each other so much that we’d die before division

(chorus)

So what about you
Will you join us
Will you admit that the waters around us have grown
You better start swimming or you’ll sink like a stone
Do you stand with us or do we stand alone
It’s time that we stand up, enlist for the war
I’ve tasted battle and now I want more
I’ve known the truth and been cut to the core
But I’m back in the game to even the score
And I mean to go out with both my guns blazing
Amazed at a God who’s so truly amazing
To triumph in battle as the spirit enables
Can’t turn back the clock but we can turn the tables"

><sarah><

ps. forgive me for sounding like an idiot. Words do not come to me when I am feeling an anger and determination like the one I feel when I think of things like this. These are times where I need to wait and hour or so before I write, oh well.

as~i~lay~dying
12-07-2005, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=drumchick101]OOOOOOOO man.......The rant is surging......
QUOTE]
for real!!! its so true and so sad! i wish people would stop giving christians a bad name! there in a way "using God" to look good when he was beaten and killed for us! :'(

alorian
12-07-2005, 06:22 PM
One of my largest fears: becoming one of those unthinking, unfeeling, non-following. I strive to be better than that. Life's not always "warm and fuzzy." Things don't always go the way they should. Don't act like they do. That's dishonesty. Sure, have the joy that comes from God, but one can't always be "happy."
I usually smile throughout most of my days, that's automatic, because I know of good things to come. I know my future will be better than my present, better than my past, because I'll make it that way. As always, as now, I'll always have pain and be in suffering, but that's not all my life. God is my life.

I used to be a plastic person. Then I experienced pain. Now, I hardly ever go to church for many reasons. One of them being that I fear thinking I'm a "good" Christian because I go to church. "Churches" are legalistic and bureaucratic at times.

skynes
12-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Take the Catholics for example. They are idol worshipping Christians.

Be careful with that... It'll annoy many people and not in a Godly way.

To deal with the perceptive, one just has to claim to be happy no matter how much they might ask what is bothering you, eventually they will give up.
I'm one of the perceptive people and I'm more stubborn than a donkey. Good luck getting me to give up :) The more you deny, the more serious I see it as.

I know too many Christians are like that, but of all the un-believers I've met, not ONE of them have any respect for someone like that.
The thing I see above everything else in what they want, is consistancy between speech and actions. If you say "Drunkeness is sin" they expect you to not get drunk. If you reject "sleeping around", they expect you to not be at those kinds of parties.

animeraven34
12-08-2005, 06:56 AM
Be careful with that... It'll annoy many people and not in a Godly way.
Oh I'm aware of that. And that statement was meant to be half serious, half sarcastic.

I know too many Christians are like that, but of all the un-believers I've met, not ONE of them have any respect for someone like that.
The thing I see above everything else in what they want, is consistancy between speech and actions. If you say "Drunkeness is sin" they expect you to not get drunk. If you reject "sleeping around", they expect you to not be at those kinds of parties.
I live in an area FULL of Christians like that. Sadly I have seen unbelievers give those Christians respect. ::] The other thing I've seen, and seen far too much of ::] , is those Christians disrespecting not only other Christians, but everyone. I can't tell you how much fun it was to go to youth group and get made fun of and humiliated. ::]

What's really sad is that this is not a new problem. But it's good to see that others feel the same way I do.

skynes
12-08-2005, 07:53 AM
I can't tell you how much fun it was to go to youth group and get made fun of and humiliated.

Yes I can see how you were absolutely thrilled and invigorated by it! Encouraged to pursure God more and follow His Will.

Wish I could go to that group :(

[/sarcasm]

Isildur9473
12-08-2005, 08:36 AM
I think Terrasin's quote sums this up pretty well.

"Please Lord, save me from your followers."

:\

animeraven34
12-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Yes I can see how you were absolutely thrilled and invigorated by it! Encouraged to pursure God more and follow His Will.
Yeah. There was no way I ended up despising Christianity as a whole and hating God. ::]

lol Yep.

terrasin
12-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Be very careful what you say about the Catholics. They are far older and much more secured in their beliefs than Christianity is. By what you said, it doesn't seem like you know too much about Catholicism. I would suggest that you learn more about it before criticizing them. The Catholic church is what has rounded and directed Christianity.

CJ

animeraven34
12-08-2005, 11:42 AM
Thank you for the admonishment, oh all mighty TerraSin.

Ok, enough sarcarsm.

Please do not take me for an idiot, and please do not assume I am ignorant. In this part of Kansas the population is 60% hispanic, and most of them are Catholic. Personally, I get sick and tired of hearing people fawn over how wonderful, holy, and righteous the Virgin Mary was. I get tired of seeing little statues of her out in front of houses, I get tired of seeing candles on store shelves emblazoned with saints. You'll have to forgive me for not believing in setting up men and women as religious figureheads. While I appreciate the warnings, do not assume that I didn't know what I was doing when I wrote that statement.

unshakeable15
12-08-2005, 12:24 PM

which is why i voted for CJ as having the best sig, but apparently i don't inspire leadership within the clonetroopers.

drumchick101
12-08-2005, 12:56 PM
I was raised catholic and made my confirmation. If I was stronger then I would have chosen not to, but I didn't want to get my mom in trouble (because my family would blame her for "brain washing" me) and I didn't have the guts to go against most of my family. Going back I wouldn't have gotten confirmed, even if my uncle is a priest. I wouldn't necisarity call them idol worshipers, they do love Jesus...the real ones anyways. So many catholics are complete hypicrtits, but so many christians are as well. My grand mother was a devout catholic and she was a wonderful woman, she truly loved the savior. There are other catholics who love money and religion and legalism, that's where catholism goes bad, like in Maritn Luther's day.

The reason I wouldn't have been confirmed is that I don't believe so many of the things that are in their docterine. For instance, pergitory after death. The Bible clearly says there is no such place. Revelation 5:13 says: "And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying: 'Blessing and honor and glory and power Be to Him who sits on the throne, And to the Lamb, forever and ever!'" It doesn't say anything about a middle place, no pergitory. This contridicts their own Bible, even their "extra" books say that there is a pergitory(I don't know if they do or not), the other part of their Bible says there's not one. There are others but that is just an example. Most of the things are things that contridict the character of God, so many catholics don't really know Him, they only know about Him. However there are those who know Him.

Catholics arn't all bad, but it is anoying that they give more regaurd to Mary than the very savior that saved them. Some are idol worshipers of docterine and money, others are the best people you will meet. It depends on the person.

And about TJ's quote. I agree with it. It is just a simple reminder that we cannot rely on people because they will always fail us. However, Jesus never will and His word os what we can truly count on.

><sarah><

disciple
12-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Wish I could go to that group :(

[/sarcasm]
Well, if you like that, try the Christian Camp I went to as a teenager. Getting a prank pulled on you by the kids you're supposed to be "spiritually bonding" with is great, especially when the connotations of the prank can't be uttered on a family-friendly message board.

NightCrawler
12-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Wow.

Follower of Christ -- Christian
One who claims to believe Christ saved us from our sins and has accepted that gift -- Christian.

Be the former and the latter, not just the latter.

drumchick101
12-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Incredibly well said. I think the best part about it was that it was only a few lines long. I don't quite have that gift of saying a lot with a little (I'm kind of the other way around), but it's an awsome one that you have and I wish I had as well. :)

><sarah><