weebird20
12-08-2005, 03:30 AM
When i first started reading my Bible...Revelations was my favourite book...it was a little scary and terrifying to think that this is how God plans to return...but i loved reading it...though as i grew spiritually over the years my mind wanted to fill itself with the comforting joyful, beautiful, encouraging passages such as those u find in Psalms and I & II Corithians...tho lately i have found myself wondering back into Revelations and pondering over the verses there...

I have begun to see something in it now that i never really noticed before...it is encouraging me...filling me with hope...making me glad in my heart to know that one day all the suffering and hurt that is in this world will come to an end the the rightful King will take His place ;D what joy!!!

Revelations 5:6
And I looked, and behold, in the midst of the throne and of the four living creatures, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as though it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent out into all the earth.

this verse struck both me and Scott as we did our daily reading...neither of us really had a thought as to what exactly it meant...so i thought i wud post it here and see if anyone else cud help :)

Aragornsgirl217
12-08-2005, 04:44 AM
When i first started reading my Bible...Revelations was my favourite book...it was a little scary and terrifying to think that this is how God plans to return...but i loved reading it...though as i grew spiritually over the years my mind wanted to fill itself with the comforting joyful, beautiful, encouraging passages such as those u find in Psalms and I & II Corithians...tho lately i have found myself wondering back into Revelations and pondering over the verses there...

I have begun to see something in it now that i never really noticed before...it is encouraging me...filling me with hope...making me glad in my heart to know that one day all the suffering and hurt that is in this world will come to an end the the rightful King will take His place ;D what joy!!!

And I looked, and behold, in the midst of the throne and of the four living creatures, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as though it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent out into all the earth.

this verse struck both me and Scott as we did our daily reading...neither of us really had a thought as to what exactly it meant...so i thought i wud post it here and see if anyone else cud help :)
well, i think one of them would probably be the Holy Spirit....I'll have to research more and come back..

Revelation is my all time favorite book. It's like a mystery to me(hehehehe, which i love). I study it often and always find something new about it........

I'll go around and research and see if there's a definate answer out there ;D

unshakeable15
12-08-2005, 11:49 AM
well, the Lamb is definitely Christ. no doubt about that, so the seven Spirits of God would be talking about the seven horns and the seven eyes. it might be a good idea to see what eyes and horns represent at various places throughout the Bible (i know one horn is representative of strength, but i'm not sure about if it's grouped into seven if it still would).

oneway
12-08-2005, 12:10 PM
ya, its my favorite book!
o, lol, you should hear this song about revelations my youth counceler made at my camp! lol! ill tell you all later!

alorian
12-08-2005, 06:23 PM
I haven't been in revelations for a while, so I'm not too sure. I've been reading things like Romans, 1&2 Corinthians, Luke, Ephesians, etc lately.

I agree with Mike, though. The lamb is most likely Jesus. The seven spirits? Not too sure...

oneway
12-08-2005, 06:49 PM
well, even though some of it is confusing, i still thought it was fascinating, from the pieces of info. i got, how the world would end!

theelectric3
12-08-2005, 09:50 PM
i agree. the Lamb is Christ and the seven spirits of God...maybe His character and attributes throughout scripture(?). i would go with mike's idea to research that in the Bible. and to ask God for revelation into that mystery.

another cool side note about the book of Revelations. it reveals Christ (Rev. 1:1 "This is the revelation of Jesus Christ..."). and if you read the whole book from a worship perspective...wow.

worship always procedes the working of God.

skynes
12-09-2005, 12:43 AM
The best thought I had come up with was 7 virtues.

You know the opposites of the 7 things the Lord hates in proverbs?
7 vices, 7 virtues.

My guess was that each was a different attribute:

Honesty
Patience
Mercy
Contentment
Generosity

etc.

amodman
12-09-2005, 10:49 AM
The Prophetic language in the Bible can often be tricky and have multiple meanings. This particular passage, for one, has never (as far as I know) had much of a agreed upon mening. Most assume that either 7 is used as the number of perfection of the Holy Spirit, or that it refers to the 7 giftings of the Holy Spirit. In any case, the horns probably represent power, and the eyes wisdom (again, w/the number 7 being the number of 'perfection').

It can also be a little disconcerting when you get to that passage in Revelation because, just prior to it, they John was still writing to and about the 7 churches and their pastors *shrugs*.

Future_Panhead
12-10-2005, 10:55 AM
My mom told me not to go into Revalations(cuz it's confusing).But I want to know what is being said in there.I pray to God to give me the wisdom and I ask Him to help me understand.But yeah.I get really confused about Revalations.
And I do think that the 7 horns and eyes represent different attributes.

weebird20
12-12-2005, 02:45 AM
the bit of that passage that really struck me was the seven Spirits of God...because to me i always thought of God being three...Father, Son and Holy Spirit...but seven...what was the seven...

i prayed and starting reading into it and found what could be an answer to my question...

it mentions the seven Spirits of God a few times in Revelation...

Revelation 1:4 talks about the seven Spirits before His throne...

John, To the seven churches in Asia: Grace be unto you and peace from Him who is, and who was, and who is to come, and from the seven spirits which are before His throne;

Revelation 3:1 talks about He who has the seven Spirits...

"And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write: `These things saith He that hath the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: I know thy works, and that thou hast a name that thou livest, but thou art dead."

Revelation 4:5 talks about the seven lamps being the Seven Spirits of God...

And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices. And there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God;

I also found a verse in Isaiah which talks about the Spirit of the Lord, wisdom, understanding, counsel, power, Knowledge and Fear of the Lord...seven different things...thats seven and it mentions the Spirit of the Lord will rest upon him...this seems to fit with what the verses in Revelation spoke of...tho i can't be 100% sure...

Isaiah 11:1&2

A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;
from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.
The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and of power,
the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD

wot do you guys think about it?

aliengurl7
12-12-2005, 01:29 PM
It sounds like you're right on.

theelectric3
12-12-2005, 01:39 PM
My mom told me not to go into Revalations(cuz it's confusing).But I want to know what is being said in there.I pray to God to give me the wisdom and I ask Him to help me understand.But yeah.I get really confused about Revalations.
And I do think that the 7 horns and eyes represent different attributes.

God is not the author of confusion. seek and you will find. ask and He will reveal the mysteries to you. :)

Laura, interesting outlook on it. to be honest, i haven't thought about that when i read it.

i thought the reference of Father, Son and Spirit refered to the tri·une being of God. He is 3 and yet 1. 1 showing the unity among the 3 to where they are so alike.

what you pointed out with isaiah 11:1-2 is interesting.

amodman
12-12-2005, 01:45 PM
the bit of that passage that really struck me was the seven Spirits of God...because to me i always thought of God being three...Father, Son and Holy Spirit...but seven...what was the seven...

i prayed and starting reading into it and found what could be an answer to my question...

it mentions the seven Spirits of God a few times in Revelation...

Revelation 1:4 talks about the seven Spirits before His throne...

John, To the seven churches in Asia: Grace be unto you and peace from Him who is, and who was, and who is to come, and from the seven spirits which are before His throne;

Revelation 3:1 talks about He who has the seven Spirits...

"And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write: `These things saith He that hath the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: I know thy works, and that thou hast a name that thou livest, but thou art dead."

Revelation 4:5 talks about the seven lamps being the Seven Spirits of God...

And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices. And there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God;

I also found a verse in Isaiah which talks about the Spirit of the Lord, wisdom, understanding, counsel, power, Knowledge and Fear of the Lord...seven different things...thats seven and it mentions the Spirit of the Lord will rest upon him...this seems to fit with what the verses in Revelation spoke of...tho i can't be 100% sure...

Isaiah 11:1&2

A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;
from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.
The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and of power,
the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD

wot do you guys think about it?

Personally, I think it has to do with the gifts of the Holy Spirit dwelling within us believers who are spreading his word. The Seven Angels is how the Seven Pastors of the Seven main churches (which John was head of) were addressed (how the term 'Angel' is used today is far different from how it's Greek equivalent was used way back when). John used the Seven churches as shorthand for addressing ALL the churches (there were a few more).

skynes
12-13-2005, 12:34 AM
There's more the 7 Gifts of the Spirit you know...

amodman
12-13-2005, 08:25 AM
There's more the 7 Gifts of the Spirit you know...

And christ has more than just 7 eyes to see with ;). Like I said earlier, prophetic language can be a difficult thing to decipher. Anyways, those are considered the seven main giftings, just like the 7 churches were considered the seven main churches, and referencing these refferred to all. But anyways, it's all open for interpretation...

Revelation 1:4

To the seven churches in the province of Asia:
Grace and peace to you from him who is, and who was, and who is to come, and from the seven spirits[a] before his throne, 5and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth.

This, in John's greeting, seems to indicate that the 7 spirits was a commonly understood term among his peers (then again, most he said to them was - just not to us :-\).

Another thing to keep in mind, is that what we get from the Bible has a lot to do with how the prophet himself described what he saw.

Revelation 4:6-8

In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back. 7The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle. 8Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings. Day and night they never stop saying: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come."

Ezekiel 1:4-22

4 I looked, and I saw a windstorm coming out of the north—an immense cloud with flashing lightning and surrounded by brilliant light. The center of the fire looked like glowing metal, 5 and in the fire was what looked like four living creatures. In appearance their form was that of a man, 6 but each of them had four faces and four wings. 7 Their legs were straight; their feet were like those of a calf and gleamed like burnished bronze. 8 Under their wings on their four sides they had the hands of a man. All four of them had faces and wings, 9 and their wings touched one another. Each one went straight ahead; they did not turn as they moved.

10 Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle. 11 Such were their faces. Their wings were spread out upward; each had two wings, one touching the wing of another creature on either side, and two wings covering its body. 12 Each one went straight ahead. Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, without turning as they went. 13 The appearance of the living creatures was like burning coals of fire or like torches. Fire moved back and forth among the creatures; it was bright, and lightning flashed out of it. 14 The creatures sped back and forth like flashes of lightning.

15 As I looked at the living creatures, I saw a wheel on the ground beside each creature with its four faces. 16 This was the appearance and structure of the wheels: They sparkled like chrysolite, and all four looked alike. Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel. 17 As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the creatures faced; the wheels did not turn about [d] as the creatures went. 18 Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes all around.

19 When the living creatures moved, the wheels beside them moved; and when the living creatures rose from the ground, the wheels also rose. 20 Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, and the wheels would rise along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels. 21 When the creatures moved, they also moved; when the creatures stood still, they also stood still; and when the creatures rose from the ground, the wheels rose along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels.

22 Spread out above the heads of the living creatures was what looked like an expanse, sparkling like ice, and awesome. 23 Under the expanse their wings were stretched out one toward the other, and each had two wings covering its body. 24 When the creatures moved, I heard the sound of their wings, like the roar of rushing waters, like the voice of the Almighty, [e] like the tumult of an army. When they stood still, they lowered their wings.

From as best as we can tell, both John and Ezekiel saw the same thing but described them very differently. I cant't remember where, but I beleive Isaiah describes something similar as well.

shakes
12-13-2005, 02:36 PM
God is amazing. When he returns, we will rejoice. I just think that the bible is great and that things may not happen in our lifetime, but they will happen so that keeps me strong. Amen to that I say.

skynes
12-14-2005, 12:53 AM
The 4 faced, 6 winged creature is a Cherubim :P
There's another place that describes them and calls them Cherubim.

unshakeable15
12-15-2005, 03:02 PM
yup, describes that essentially as full of eyes and wings. weird.

disciple
12-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Weird, but cool. :D

I used to love Revelations, I'd spend a long time trying to decipher it. Then I decided that I'll just wait to see what happens. :)