drumchick101
12-11-2005, 03:44 PM
I'll start with this:
The 6th commandment is "thou shalt not murder" (KJV). I looked up the actual definition of murder and here's what it says: "The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice." (dictionary.com) The term "unlawful" can mean something different to everyone...for our purposes "unlawful" will mean anything that is stated as such in the Bible. (but this even opens a can of worms with certain issues, however, I'm not done yet)

In Ecclesiastes 3:3 it says "[There is]A time to kill, And a time to heal; A time to break down, And a time to build up;" So, killing can't be flat out wrong. Not to mention the thousands killed by the Isrealites with the help of God. This was in wars, when other nations tried to or had already taken over Isreal, ect...

On to the point...when would it be a time to kill? If a man grabbed me on the street and locked me in a room an threatened me with things I wouldn't put on this site, and I had a gun in my hand (this being my chance to escape him because I am not very strong and I wouldn't have much a chance without a major weapon) and I shot him and killed him in self defense, would this be murder?

Or, if you were fighing someone and they were trying to kill you and you pushed them off of a building...is this murder??

I supose, I'm just asing for a definition of murder.

><sarah><

disciple
12-11-2005, 03:50 PM
I have always believed in self-defense, and in the innocence of those who are forced to use it.

That said, I would still spend a lot of time in prayer and repentence and grief if I were forced to kill in self-defense, as I value all life.

as~i~lay~dying
12-11-2005, 04:09 PM
yes i believe in cases of self-defence it is justified...but as disciple said i would spend much time in prayer afterwords~

skelfy
12-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Okay, difference between 'killing' and 'murdering'. Murdering someone is killing someone, without a reason. Self-defense may be the only good reason for 'killing' someone. Unintentional, etc.

terrasin
12-11-2005, 04:22 PM
What murder is is unjustifyable killing of another person. If a person killed was killed unjustifyably in the eyes of God, it would be considered murder.

People sent to war to kill, for the most part, are not committing sin. People who kill in self defence or in protection of themselves or others are not sinning.

To kill someone from anger is a sin. To kill someone pre-planned is a sin.

CJ

unshakeable15
12-11-2005, 08:01 PM
CJ said it so all i have to add is this:

even killing in self-defense or as a part of war leaves an irrevocable mark upon your life. it changes you in ways you will never be able to undo.

terrasin
12-11-2005, 09:39 PM
This is true. My best mate, as I'm sure a lot of people here know some as well, spent a great deal of time in Iraq. It changed him quite a bit and that change was not for the better. He has to live with those memories for the rest of his life. Not an easy thing to deal with.

CJ

NightCrawler
12-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Are you justified in war?
Are you justified putting your life over another man's, when he is endangering your life?

CJ sides with the idea that under most cases both of those have "Yes" stamped on them.

Anyone disagree?

Isildur9473
12-11-2005, 10:37 PM
I agree. I want to be a federal agent. If I have to kill someone in order to preserve my life, or someone elses, I won't think twice about it.

skynes
12-12-2005, 02:31 AM
I agree also. If someone makes a threat on my life or the life of someone close to me, I'd blow him away without a second thought.

a Peace Keeper I am, a Pacifist I am not. If I can geto ut of a situation by talking, I will. If violence is necessary, then I will use it.

terrasin
12-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Are you justified putting your life over another man's, when he is endangering your life?

CJ sides with the idea that under most cases both of those have "Yes" stamped on them.

Anyone disagree?
When you join the Army, in most cases (excluding people who have some odd bloodlust), you join to help protect the people of this country and preserve the rights we have.

Most people join and are trained how to kill but hope they never have to do it.

CJ

aliengurl7
12-12-2005, 01:25 PM
God does not take pleasure in the killing of any his creation. I think he has a understanding of why it happens. Its part of the corruption of the sin that Adam and Eve brought into the world.

alorian
12-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Yes CJ. I joined the army to serve my country etc. I know I'll be trained to kill, but I pray I'll never have to. It may come up, but I'm hoping it won't.

"A peacekeeper I am, a pacifist I am not" -- I love this, I'm stealing it :P

asparagus
12-13-2005, 07:40 AM
I agree. I want to be a federal agent. If I have to kill someone in order to preserve my life, or someone elses, I won't think twice about it.
Let me suggest this:
Suppose someone makes an aggressive move towards you in a manner suggesting they might kill them. This might involve robbing you at gunpoint, attacking you with a knife, etc., etc. At some point, I think the person attacking you is making an attack on society as a whole. There is little indication that they are going to stop with only one victim.

Thus, functioning under these assumption, I think self-defense (or even lethal self-defense) suddenly becomes selfless, in that you are not merely defending yourself, but you are trying to defend future victims. Self-defense is selfish, society-defense is self-less.

Let's say I know that someone wants to hit just me, and then they will stop. I would let them hit me and leave it at that. But if someone on the street came up to me and started to attack me, I would not assume that they would stop with me, and therefore I would defend myself and call the police. If, after they were caught by the police, they made a genuine apology, I would forgive them and consider dropping the charges depending on whether or not I thought it would be helpful to them to drop them. Does that make sense?

If I thought it was in their best interested to have the charges dropped and enter into a program for their anger, then I would do that. But if I thought dropping the charges would only increase their recidivism and lead to more victims, then my actions would be irresponsible and I would go to court. How does that sound? Do you see the distinction?

I think this summarizes what I am saying: I want to be as forgiving as possible without encouraging someone to sin more.

Isildur9473
12-13-2005, 05:40 PM
I think this summarizes what I am saying: I want to be as forgiving as possible without encouraging someone to sin more.

The problem with this country, is its forgiveness. We waste way too much money on programs trying to help criminals that won't change, sure some will, but more won't. I heard about this guy that killed someone, then only got 5 years in prison since "society was cruel to him". What? Forget forgiving him, kill him. He killed an innocent person, but only got 5 years in prison.

skynes
12-14-2005, 01:01 AM
Something that bothers me about the justice systen is this:

People pay to go to University. they pay their fees, they pay for their transport, they probably need a part-time job to pay it too.
Even then, they may leave College/University and NOT get a job.

A guy kills a man, spends 5 years in prison.
Taxes pay his University in Jail, taxespay the fees, taxes pay the teachers. He doesn't need a job to pay for it.
He leaves Jail, then may walk into a job, because refusing him a job is breaking Equal Opportunities.

I don't see that as fair.

asparagus
12-14-2005, 05:52 AM
Scott,
Would you be willing to sponsor a link on the universities in prison and the equal opportunities job offers? I really can't think of any jobs, including minimum wage jobs, that will hire felons.

skynes
12-14-2005, 06:24 AM
I can't find any links right now. The Equal Opportunities site is 'under construction'.

I can tell you that every job I've appleid for (quite a few) all have a section for criminals your details. Then a guarantee that 'This workplace abides by the Equal Opportunities Act'

http://www.hmprisonservice.gov.uk/adviceandsupport/prison_life/workinginprison/index.asp?print=1&

There's one for Prisoners learning Trades

terrasin
12-14-2005, 07:52 AM
There are a lot of jobs, mainly decent paying labor jobs, that will hire people who have been in prison.

I have to agree with Isldur that these people should be paying for themselves in prison. Their stay in the big steel hotel shouldn't be taken out of my money. They give these prisoners work while they are in prison (i.e. painting, cleaning trash from roads, making license plates).

I say hotel because of this, and this is something that really erks me... We had a prison built here in my town about 7 years ago now. Inside this prison is a full gym with all the newest equipment, huge ballfields and such in the back, olympic size swimming pool, TVs outside of every cell where they watch movies they can rent from the video store... oh yes, there is also an account with the pizza joint where they buy pizza.

Whatever happened to the days of being shackled to a wall in the deepest pits of a basement? I heard a few months ago that the jails had to remove violent video games from prison because they could kill cops in them... They get video games?!

It's not a wonder these guys don't learn their lesson and spend 2-3 times in prison throughout their lives. If we brought back something like Corporal punishment, I bet these guys, and a lot of others, would straiten up real quick.

And I know some people believe "Well, they are in jail, they need something to do to keep them sane. They should be treated good..." They are there by choice from their actions.

CJ

Pixie*
12-14-2005, 07:55 AM
Interesting that we were just talking somewhat about this in my sunday school class at church. hre was the posed Q:

if someone broke into your house, with a guna nd was going to kill you.... and say you had a gun nearby....would you kill him before he could kill you? would it be right as a Christian for you to do so?

My opinion is this: As a Christian, I know where I'm going, if I kill another person - I am sending them to hell (b/c obviously if someone is going to murder you then they can't be a Christian....) however, I also value my life as a gift from God, so I think it depends on the specifics of the moment...like would there be a way to injure the person without killing him, but also so that you wouldn't be killed either??

another thought the death penalty: If we give the death penalty to someone who committed murder.....what are we doing? It's like telling your kids - hitting is not nice, and then spanking them for it! How can we punish someone by doing the same thing we are punishing them for?? Also, someone has to carry out the sentence...what does that make that person if they are taking lives??

the problem with our society is not its forgivenss. Crimes should be punished. However our system of prison is warped. Prison should be just that, imprisonment - meaning you lose your rights. How many prisoners taken by other countries in war get the rights our prisoners get in america?? non of this comfy hotel jail business where they have access to computers andall that. People who go to jail should be punished - not rewarded, and that is the problem with the jail system - its not harsh enough. The proble with this is then the country woudl complain about jails beign too full....HA what does that say about our country's morale that we have so many criminals we don't have space for them... oh and yeah, I'd much rather have them walking the streets than in jail!!!

Isildur9473
12-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Interesting that we were just talking somewhat about this in my sunday school class at church. hre was the posed Q:

if someone broke into your house, with a guna nd was going to kill you.... and say you had a gun nearby....would you kill him before he could kill you? would it be right as a Christian for you to do so?

Yeah, if I was sure he was going to kill me I'd kill him. On the flipside, most gun related crimes in robberies involve the party being robbed somehow getting a gun. :\

another thought the death penalty: If we give the death penalty to someone who committed murder.....what are we doing? It's like telling your kids - hitting is not nice, and then spanking them for it! How can we punish someone by doing the same thing we are punishing them for?? Also, someone has to carry out the sentence...what does that make that person if they are taking lives??

Not really. It's giving a person what they deserve for taking the life of someone else. Corporal Punishment instills fear, obediance, and respect, esepecially from children. That's what more kids need nowadays, as it helps them build discipline.

oh and yeah, I'd much rather have them walking the streets than in jail!!!

"Sorry, even though you killed some guy, we don't have enough space. You're free."

:\

sky_flashings
12-14-2005, 08:53 AM
My opinion is this: As a Christian, I know where I'm going, if I kill another person - I am sending them to hell (b/c obviously if someone is going to murder you then they can't be a Christian....) however, I also value my life as a gift from God, so I think it depends on the specifics of the moment...like would there be a way to injure the person without killing him, but also so that you wouldn't be killed either??

Actually, you can be a Christian and commit murder. We're not perfect, and don't always do the things we should, or don't not do the things we shouldn't. Some people let their anger build and stuff and instead of consulting God about it and having His help, they fester and dwell on stuff they shouldn't. Then they kill. Murder is a sin, yes, but it's not like a murderer is trying to make a statement about how their against God or anything. Granted, I don't think that most murderers are Christians, but it's not like it isn't possible.

"An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." Or however that statement goes. If someone sins, (or breaks the law in these cases), they should be punished according to their actions. If a kid hits another, their parents have right to discipline them by spanking them so show a.) hitting another person for no reason is right, b.) being hit isn't fun, and c.) if you hit others, you will be punished. They are being hypocrites when they punish their kids for such things. The same goes for murderers. If they kill a person, then they should be punished according to their crime.

That's not to mention that a our tax dollars go to housing these people with their pizza, nintendo, etc... :P

md4j
12-14-2005, 09:29 AM

Anyone disagree?As a police officer I only know one thing. If it's between me going home to my wife or another person going home their family. I will be the one going home. If someone threatens me with a gun, as a police officer I will shoot him.

md4j
12-14-2005, 09:36 AM

the problem with our society is not its forgivenss. Crimes should be punished. However our system of prison is warped. Prison should be just that, imprisonment - meaning you lose your rights. How many prisoners taken by other countries in war get the rights our prisoners get in america?? non of this comfy hotel jail business where they have access to computers andall that. People who go to jail should be punished - not rewarded, and that is the problem with the jail system - its not harsh enough. The proble with this is then the country woudl complain about jails beign too full....HA what does that say about our country's morale that we have so many criminals we don't have space for them... oh and yeah, I'd much rather have them walking the streets than in jail!!!As a husband it is my responsibility to take care of my family that God provided for me. I will shoot anywhere on his body first then hope I didn't kill him. If I did, oh well, call the police then when they're done clean up the blood and go back to sleep.

disciple
12-14-2005, 03:30 PM
You have to punish the child. You can't just send them to their room and make them think about it.

When I was sent to my room, all I did was pull out my GameBoy and wait for a parent to come in and "babble at me" so I could agree with whatever they were saying and get off the hook. You have to instill punishment early on in a child's life, or they will believe you can get away with anything you want.

As far as Capital Punishment, it's the law, so it's the law.

asparagus
12-14-2005, 07:40 PM
There are a lot of jobs, mainly decent paying labor jobs, that will hire people who have been in prison.CJ, would you be willing to list a few?
I have to agree with Isldur that these people should be paying for themselves in prison. Their stay in the big steel hotel shouldn't be taken out of my money. They give these prisoners work while they are in prison (i.e. painting, cleaning trash from roads, making license plates).

I say hotel because of this, and this is something that really erks me... We had a prison built here in my town about 7 years ago now. Inside this prison is a full gym with all the newest equipment, huge ballfields and such in the back, olympic size swimming pool, TVs outside of every cell where they watch movies they can rent from the video store... oh yes, there is also an account with the pizza joint where they buy pizza.I don't know what prisons they are building where you are at, but most prisons these days are privatized in which case it makes no sense to have an olympic swimming pool. Additonally, any priviledges they are recieving they pay for, meaning [i]we[i] are saving money by the profit made from giving them these TVs. If you don't want them to have these benefits, you need to be willing to pay more taxes so as to be able to pay for 100% of their stay, instead of them subsidizing their stay.

Do you want them to pay for their stay or not? If you do, you need to put them to work while in prison and then allow them to pay you (currently, those working in prisons earn about $2/hr); if you don't then you need to be able to pay for them.

asparagus
12-14-2005, 07:44 PM
I can't find any links right now. The Equal Opportunities site is 'under construction'.

I can tell you that every job I've appleid for (quite a few) all have a section for criminals your details. Then a guarantee that 'This workplace abides by the Equal Opportunities Act'

http://www.hmprisonservice.gov.uk/adviceandsupport/prison_life/workinginprison/index.asp?print=1&

There's one for Prisoners learning TradesThanks Scott. I couldn't figure out if the link you put up was about jobs in prison or jobs once people get out of prison.

As for the Equal Opportunities Act, the US Act is not an affirmative action law. I've not encountered any affirmative action programs that take into effect prison or jail time unless they have been able to have their conviction reversed.

asparagus
12-14-2005, 08:01 PM
My opinion is this: As a Christian, I know where I'm going, if I kill another person - I am sending them to hell (b/c obviously if someone is going to murder you then they can't be a Christian....)What about King David? Did God not say he was a man who followed after God's heart?

Prison should be just that, imprisonment - meaning you lose your rights. non of this comfy hotel jail business where they have access to computers andall that. Have you ever wondered why prisoners in low security have some limited access to computers and GED programs? It's to discourage recidivism, which saves you and I money, lowers the crime rate, and keeps you and I safer. Look, I don't think we should waste a cent on people that aren't getting out...but for those that are, we are FORCED to invest in them, otherwise they come back out on the street stronger, more bitter and more effective at being criminals. High recidivism rates are bad news in any number of categories. It's bad new for me, bad news for you, bad news for the communities they are released in, and it's bad news for the prosecutors, judges, police officers, and correction officers that we have to pay to continue to deal with them. People who go to jail should be punished - not rewarded, and that is the problem with the jail system - its not harsh enough. Well, I've never seen a jail that I would describe as rewarding. Anyway, punishing them is all fine and good, but it results in very effective monsters to be created when prisoners are released. If we're giving someone less than a life sentence, we need to be doing something that doesn't force them to turn back to a life of crime when they get out.

terrasin
12-14-2005, 09:54 PM
CJ, would you be willing to list a few?
Heh, 50% of construction crews and privitely owned road crews allow former convicts on their staff. I've met quite a few of them when I worked security.

I don't know what prisons they are building where you are at, but most prisons these days are privatized in which case it makes no sense to have an olympic swimming pool. Additonally, any priviledges they are recieving they pay for, meaning [i]we[i] are saving money by the profit made from giving them these TVs. If you don't want them to have these benefits, you need to be willing to pay more taxes so as to be able to pay for 100% of their stay, instead of them subsidizing their stay.
Our prison is a State facility, meaning the whole facility is kept running by taxes. The meager money they make from painting buildings or working roadside is spent on their cigarettes and tatoos, not including the few who might save their money. That's when they actually get out to do that. They aren't let out too often. Especially since there was an escape attempt here a few weeks ago at a hospital.

And to make matters worse, we are getting a Federal prison not 12 miles away which is currently under construction. yay. :|

CJ

Pixie*
12-16-2005, 05:39 PM
You have to punish the child. You can't just send them to their room and make them think about it.

regarding that statement: Take away their gameboy, or whatever. When I was a kid, sure I hated being spanked - but it lasted only a second, but having priveleges taken away for a while - that really hurt me. No phone, no TV, it sucked. I know I got more out of being punished that way than being spanked. Being spanked just made me angrier and more "rebellious".

disciple
12-16-2005, 06:59 PM
When I was a kid, sure I hated being spanked - but it lasted only a second, but having priveleges taken away for a while - that really hurt me. No phone, no TV, it sucked. I know I got more out of being punished that way than being spanked. Being spanked just made me angrier and more "rebellious".
Exactly. Whenever did I say spanking was required? ::]

terrasin
12-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Yes, getting the TV or phone taken away really sucks, but getting spanked is what I remember most. Not because it only lasted a few seconds, but because those few seconds hurt like hell. And you come to realize very quickly that the more you screw up, the more you get whipped.

Keep in mind, it's not like you spank someone and then let them go back to what they were doing. We would get spanked and then be forced into our rooms. Mind you, at 10 years old, we didn't have phones, computers, and other stuff in our rooms. And if we were caught playing with toys, we got it twice a bad.

I remember my dad and his paddle or mom and the leather belt more vividly than having my toys taken away.

CJ

alorian
12-16-2005, 10:37 PM
My dad's hand, and my mom's spatula, or, as I more vividly remember, her wicked wooden spoon. That-Thing-Hurt. Taught me discipline. I learned not to play with toys when I got in trouble, too, hahah.

unshakeable15
12-18-2005, 02:49 PM
a child does not know the meaning of the word "delayed-gratification." so delayed-punishment wouldn't ring a bell either.

to many kids (myself included) getting toys or privilege taken away is a delayed-punishment, it happens right away, but i don't necessarily feel the affects right away. it'll be tomorrow or even next week before i want to play with my NES again. but a hard smack on the butt is right now, and painful.

and like CJ said, it wasn't a spanking then off you go. i got talked to, then spanked, then talked to again. on top of that, i probably got some privileges taken away (more minor stuff, like TV for a day). but moreso do i remember the spanking than anything else.

alorian
12-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Yeah, for sure.

skynes
12-19-2005, 12:38 AM
I got spanked when I was younger, but when my dad saw the red hand marks a day later...

Never got it after that.

frymeskillet
12-20-2005, 06:09 PM
heh, i tend to agree. i dont get grounded from anything. my parents whipped us when we were younger and that is seriously enough to keep me straight. i never do anything bad enough to get grounded simply because i learned my lessons at a young age. in fact the last spanking i got was in the 6th grade and i will never forget the hurt, humiliation, and my broken pride. yes, it hurt like the devil, but i will remember NEVER to sass my parents, or an adult for that matter...point being, spankings are more memorable. and therefore.....ah crap....i dont know my point....i guess i just wanted to ramble.... ;D

-Savannah-

lamb_servant72
12-31-2005, 03:24 PM
I work at Georgia State Prison. We don't have a pool, or the other amenities described here. Hotel? Please, come spend a day with me.

80% of the inmates are lockdown. They live in a 12 x 3 cell. They have a toilet and a metal bed that folds down from the wall. They only go outside for one hour per day, they spend that hour locked in a "dog run", which is approximately the same size as their cell. The only other time they can come out of their cell is to take a shower, which they get three of per week.

Most of the cells there are not bar cells. They are solid steel doors that have a 7" x 7" window, and a space large enough to slide their food trays under the door.

We do have two computers that up to 10 inmates per week (out of over 2,500) can sign up to use for 30 minutes to do legal research. They are not hooked up to the internet. The only thing that is on those two computers is legal material. What fun.

Yes, I believe in locking criminals away. But, please don't call it a hotel.

CJ, one of the five inmates that works for me (without pay) is enrolled in a college course. I'll find out which college it is.

Spiffles
12-31-2005, 03:37 PM
I think American jails must be heaps worse then Aussie ones...
Is that a high security prison you work at Lambs_Servant?

I have a friend that works at a medium security prison over here, and most of the prisoners get it pretty easy... they are locked up from society, but they have a gym, playstations/other entertainment systems, a number of sporting facilitys including basketbal court, and other stuff.. they have plasma screen tv's with pay TV, and the ones that have been "good" while inside and coming to end of their term are allowed out on day trips (with security person though) for group activitys like ten pin bowling, white water rafting, abseiling, and rock climbing, and they are allowed to enrol at the the local higher education institute, and thats all at tax payer expense as well.. Thats medium security, so criminals bar murders and pedophiles..

Spiffles
12-31-2005, 03:41 PM
To answer the question asked in the topic title... I would have no hesitation or moral deleimas smacking down someone, shooting them, chopping off their head with a sword, or whatever else, if they threatened or harmed any of my family or my closest friends in a serious maner.

lamb_servant72
01-01-2006, 05:36 AM
I saw the electric chair Friday. I do understand it on one hand, but seeing it...combined with the other thing that happened Friday, which I mentioned in The Garden, caused me to cry all the way home from work.

Isildur9473
01-01-2006, 09:32 AM
I think American jails must be heaps worse then Aussie ones...
Is that a high security prison you work at Lambs_Servant?

I have a friend that works at a medium security prison over here, and most of the prisoners get it pretty easy... they are locked up from society, but they have a gym, playstations/other entertainment systems, a number of sporting facilitys including basketbal court, and other stuff.. they have plasma screen tv's with pay TV, and the ones that have been "good" while inside and coming to end of their term are allowed out on day trips (with security person though) for group activitys like ten pin bowling, white water rafting, abseiling, and rock climbing, and they are allowed to enrol at the the local higher education institute, and thats all at tax payer expense as well.. Thats medium security, so criminals bar murders and pedophiles..

So... do people go to prison voluntarily in Austrailia? I know if I lived there and I was living on the streets I would..

Spiffles
01-01-2006, 12:35 PM
people recommit crimes after they get out a lot to get back in, yeh..

drumchick101
01-01-2006, 05:50 PM
I saw the electric chair Friday. I do understand it on one hand, but seeing it...combined with the other thing that happened Friday, which I mentioned in The Garden, caused me to cry all the way home from work.

I think we got rid of our electric chair in Ohio, I'm not sure. But thinking about it hurts me, in the article I read about it, they said that there were nail marks in the arms from their finger nails digging in.

><sarah><

lamb_servant72
01-02-2006, 09:06 AM
The tower at the top of the prison where the electic chair is located is now a museum. The chair, generator, phone, etc. is all there. They have the last words of the inmates framed on the walls. The embalming room still has the equipment in it. The helmet and ankle shackles are displayed.

I walked out onto the enclosed balcony, where the inmates would take their last walk, if they wanted to get one last breath of fresh air.

Spiffles, I do work in a maximum security prison, so I'm sure "regular" prisons are not like the one I work in. I just didn't want people to think that all prisons are like a vacation at a hotel!

NightCrawler
01-02-2006, 09:18 PM
people recommit crimes after they get out a lot to get back in, yeh..Or dental...

*Cough*mycoworker*cough*

kittygirl
01-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Or dental...

*Cough*mycoworker*cough*
that sounds like my familia...and some of my friends.