as~i~lay~dying
12-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Phi 4:8 For the rest, brothers, whatever is true, whatever honorable, whatever is right, whatever pure, whatever lovely, whatever of good report, if of any virtue, and if of any praise, think on these things.

What do you guys think this verse means? Like does it mean you should'nt watch movies with a lot of junk in them, you should listen to nothing but christain music? ??? Ive never known exactly what it meant so i was wondering what you thought.

disciple
12-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Well, my Bible, which is a children's "Guidance" bible or some crud, says that it means you shouldn't listen to rock music or watch scary movies.

Needless to say, I want a new Bible.

as~i~lay~dying
12-11-2005, 04:28 PM
wow...that seems a little dramatic~but what do YOU think.

disciple
12-11-2005, 04:31 PM
It means to me that we should try to focus and think on that which is good.

drumchick101
12-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Well, if it causes you to stumble, then it is therefore not good, and not of God. Get rid of it. If it drags you away (even slighlty), get rid of it. That's pretty much the bottom line. It's really a personal thing between you and God.

><sarah><

unshakeable15
12-11-2005, 08:07 PM
the key is the "think on such things." if you read that as "only do or think or see or speak about such things" then you'd better become Amish and move to a far away place.

but, to me "think on such things" means something else entirely.

your mind is like a sponge that soaks up all that it comes in contact with, whether you want it too or not. so, to protect it, you need to have guard over it day and night, to monitor what it soaks up and what it passes by. if you're friends are cussing up a storm, put that guard up high so as to limit the contact your sponge-mind has with it. if you're watching a violent movie, you should probably do the same. but at church, let it open up as wide as it can to soak up the message and the corporate worship.

basically, watch what you think about. what you find your mind wandering to in moments of boredom is what your heart holds dear. may whatever that is fit into the category of Phil. 4:8.

NightCrawler
12-11-2005, 09:50 PM
the key is the "think on such things." if you read that as "only do or think or see or speak about such things" then you'd better become Amish and move to a far away place.
What is best about this statement is that if it was false in some way, they wouldn't correct you. Haha...

I think that the verse is extreme. Think about what is holy. What is holy? God, His perfect will, the gifts He has given you. What is noble? What is righteous? What is pure?

The list goes on and on, and I take it to mean "BE HOLY, THEREFORE, BECAUSE I AM HOLY"... and this is best applied by striking the source... the mind. Which is renewed, and is not to conform to the patterns of this world.

I would be amish, but my outreach would be hindered in my perspective.

skynes
12-12-2005, 02:29 AM
Your thoughts govern your actions. If you think and dwell upon sin and how nice it feels, you are 1000x more likely to sin that way.

If you spend your time thinking of God, how much you want to please Him and serve Him, then when that opportunity to sin arises, you'll kick it in the nuts and leave it to die.

So think about God, think about fighting sin, not wallowing in it. By thinking good your actions will be good.

as~i~lay~dying
12-12-2005, 07:33 AM

That makes sense. Thanks guys for responding,it helped me a lot. :)

Isildur9473
12-12-2005, 08:21 AM
I doubt they mean you can't listen to things besides Christian music, or not watch any movies that aren't Christian. Granted they didn't have music and movies in the same capacity in the time that the Bible was written, but it'd be ludacris to think that you couldn't.

Mr. Xcitement
12-12-2005, 10:28 AM
I remember going to an even where there was a speaker there, who said that to be a better Christian, you shouldn't just try and always think good things as this verse states, but also listen and watch good things. Almost all songs have an underlying message, and thus, Christian music would be much better since it has the message of God, and if you listen to a lot of Christian music, then you will most likely think about God more. The speaker said that other music is ok, but Christian music should be the main thing we listen to, and that we shouldn't listen to music with swears and such, and shouldn't watch tv shows like south park that have swearing, racism, and all other kinds of sins shown through out it.

aliengurl7
12-12-2005, 10:41 AM
she's right to a certain degree. TV is full of crap that we shouldn't be watching. All tv does is either put bad thoughts in our heads or helps us generate bad thoughts.

theelectric3
12-12-2005, 01:21 PM
don't dwell on anything that leads you to impure thoughts, words, actions. because, like it's been stated already, what you dwell and think on is what you become. i know that gets shrugged off as legalistic sometimes... but think about it...

personally, i have a photogenic memory. so whatever i watch, read, listen to captures my attention and has been known to reappear later. now that's ok if it glorifies God. but if it doesn't (whether it be degrading or sexual) then (obviously) it's not a good thing.

this verse, in my opinion, serves as a guideline. it's easier to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ when it isn't cluttered with the lusts of the flesh.

skynes
12-13-2005, 12:38 AM
and shouldn't watch tv shows like south park that have swearing, racism, and all other kinds of sins shown through out it.

I quite like South Park actually, it tends to mock racism and sin more than glorify it. What I mean is that it shows racism, then shows how stupid it is. It does that with quite a few things, religion included, which is why it bugs so many Christians. I find the religion mocking ones funny, cause they're usually true!

Isildur9473
12-13-2005, 08:13 AM
I quite like South Park actually, it tends to mock racism and sin more than glorify it. What I mean is that it shows racism, then shows how stupid it is. It does that with quite a few things, religion included, which is why it bugs so many Christians. I find the religion mocking ones funny, cause they're usually true!

Exactly. South Park even if it is vulgar, is a well thought out show. They dipslay plenty of different things (PETA, Mormons, Barbara Streisand, The LOTR Craze) and many more in a light that you won't see anywhere else. I commend them for it.

asparagus
12-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Well, my Bible, which is a children's "Guidance" bible or some crud, says that it means you shouldn't listen to rock music or watch scary movies.

Needless to say, I want a new Bible.LOL. (extra characters needed for post...)