newday_7
12-18-2005, 12:39 AM
I heard someone talk about being labelled as a "Christian" in another thread and i just wanted to know what the rest of you thought about it.

alorian
12-18-2005, 07:59 AM
The "label" Christian is worthless. It's what the person does with their heart that matters. When I've got time I'll post more.

TheFireBreathes
12-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Though I dont like to be labeled at all. I think I would rather be labeled a "Christian" then an "emo" or "prep". I dont know if this is what the topic is about just thought I share will yall :D.

bob
12-18-2005, 09:12 AM
A Christian is a follower of Christ, so I don't see any problem with it.

alorian
12-18-2005, 09:30 AM
A Christian is a follower of Christ, by definition, yes. But many people are "Christians" by name, not action. When I say I'm a "Christian" it doesn't really make much of a difference on how people think of me. Lead by example, live by love.

PinkGoo
12-18-2005, 12:19 PM
I hate how so many people call themselves "Christians" but act just like the rest of the world. Perverted, worldly, angry, unforgiving, hateful...

theelectric3
12-18-2005, 02:04 PM
actions speak louder than words. a lifestyle speaks louder than a label.

Jesus even told us that we will know Christians by their fruit. the fruit of their lifestyle (love, joy, peace, kindness, gentleness, self-control, etc.) not by words alone.

NightCrawler
12-18-2005, 05:55 PM
I say that even if others don't live by the 'label'... we should still call ourselves Christians.

alorian
12-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying renounce the label "Christian". I wish I could say what I'm trying to say, but I'm such a mixed-up mess right now, that's not about to happen anytime soon.. not tonight anyway ;) :P hahah..

as~i~lay~dying
12-18-2005, 11:01 PM
I hate how so many people call themselves "Christians" but act just like the rest of the world. Perverted, worldly, angry, unforgiving, hateful...
This makes me SOOO angry!Although I did used to do this very thing ::] )(but I was starting to see how I needed to be one or the other so I didnt call myself a christian for a while~thank you Jesus for bringing me back!)I wish people would actually live it or not.Dont be lukeworm! >:(

skynes
12-19-2005, 12:51 AM
I wish I could drop the label... But it would cause more confusion than it's worth.

aliengurl7
12-19-2005, 11:23 AM
It was good enough for the apostles, whats up with you? ;)

Maddog
12-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Nuthing much

skynes
12-19-2005, 12:08 PM
The Apostles didnt have fanatical jerks screwing with the name.

When someone said 'Christian' they KNEW what it meant. A hardcore Disciple of Christ. Not the pussy footing messers of today that give us a bad name.

aliengurl7
12-19-2005, 12:18 PM
Yea they did. Their letters to the church's proves that even back then the church had alot of issues.

skynes
12-19-2005, 12:45 PM
They had nowhere near the problems we do now...

aliengurl7
12-19-2005, 12:52 PM
what problems would those be?

skynes
12-19-2005, 01:06 PM

Do you really want me to go into the hypocrisy of the church today? The amount of people saying they're Christians when they're not? the amount of weak faithed believers that seem no different to the world?

These kind didnt exist 2000 years ago, cause to be a Christian was to be a wanted man and face possible death. There was no time for weak faith or actors.

aliengurl7
12-19-2005, 01:26 PM
In the book of rev. John wrote about the "loveless ephesian church" and about the "corrupt thyatira church" and also he called the "Sardias" as being dead. The "Laodiceans" is the "lukewarm church".
The issues that these churchs were dealing with still exist today.Revelation was written about A.D. 95. Im sure these church going people referred to themselves as christians. Unless you have a tool to measure a man's faith, you should leave the "weak faithed" up to God.

disciple
12-19-2005, 02:08 PM

Do you really want me to go into the hypocrisy of the church today? The amount of people saying they're Christians when they're not? the amount of weak faithed believers that seem no different to the world?

These kind didnt exist 2000 years ago, cause to be a Christian was to be a wanted man and face possible death. There was no time for weak faith or actors.
Yeah... I'm not going to get started...

It's everywhere, and I'm being literal.

NightCrawler
12-19-2005, 06:28 PM
They had nowhere near the problems we do now...Actually, I think it is the sheer number difference now as opposed to then is the most obvious. We have more people in the world now. AND the ratio of weak Christians to strong ones is off too.

drumchick101
12-19-2005, 06:40 PM
I think the root of the problem is the amount of people that get saved and never get properly dicipled or really want to persue God(which also fall in the fault of those who led them to Chirst). Since they were never dicipled they think that the only thing is whether you go to heaven or not, and since they never read the word (because they were never dicipled and diciplined in doing so) they don't know how much more there realy is, they don't see the relationship and that is what makes me sad because, without it, it just seems like rules & it wasn't intended to be that way.

><sarah><

skynes
12-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Actually, I think it is the sheer number difference now as opposed to then is the most obvious. We have more people in the world now. AND the ratio of weak Christians to strong ones is off too.

That's essentially what I meant. The vast majority of the believers then were very serious and they were the ones people seen the most.

NightCrawler
12-20-2005, 09:02 PM
I think the root of the problem is the amount of people that get saved and never get properly dicipled or really want to persue God(which also fall in the fault of those who led them to Chirst). Since they were never dicipled they think that the only thing is whether you go to heaven or not, and since they never read the word (because they were never dicipled and diciplined in doing so) they don't know how much more there realy is, they don't see the relationship and that is what makes me sad because, without it, it just seems like rules & it wasn't intended to be that way.

><sarah><My gosh. I know.

It is my goal, and calling, for this not to be the case. At least, I believe.