xdisciplex
12-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Is anybody here who really gets close to God? I mean not only getting some feelings which might also be from yourself.
Is it even possible to get close to God? And if so then what does getting close to God mean? What does getting into his presence mean? ???
I think what most christians have today is not satisfying at all and they seem to be happy with what they have. They read the bible and pray and that's it. But where is the personal relationship?? If I only talk to God but don't hear him then this isn't a personal relationship. And only from reading the bible you cannot know God so well. You never know what God thinks in a certain situation. This is simply not the same as being able to talk to him. But most christians don't understand this. They are satisfied with what they have. But what about those which aren't? I am not satisfied with this at all. Moses for example knew God. But compared to Moses I have no clue of God. In order to understand how a person is and how a person thinks you need more than just a book. You also need rhemas. They also show you how God is. For example wether God can also be funny or not. Such things cannot be found in the bible. I feel like there are a few christians which are in ministry which know God so well. It's like they have the best connection. But the majority of christians is in the desert and they don't have all these things. Why?
This way you are always dependant on pastors and what they tell you God just told them. It's like they know it all. They know how God is and what he thinks etc. and then you need them to tell you how God is. This sucks! :(
But I really have no clue how to get close to God. I tried it and it was so frustrating. I just didn't know what to do. I felt so dumb and now I have lost all my motivation. I still want it but at the same time I am so disillusioned I have no more motivation to even talk to God. :'(

skynes
12-24-2005, 11:02 AM
You see most of those dissatisifed Christians:
I bet 8/10 times if you ask them "Do you read and pray daily without fail?" They will answer No, and that is their problem.

For example wether God can also be funny or not.
Then I suggest you re-read the Bible. It is PACKED with jokes and humour. It even says in the Psalms/Proverbs that God laughs in heaven.

Jesus parable about the shepherd leaving 99 sheep to go find one. Partly is showing how God is with us. Partly its a joke. the udmb silly shepherd left 99 perfectly good sheep ALONE, UNDEFENDED to go and find one. And then he celebrates his idiocy.

I know why my Pastor in particular is close to God. He told me that when he first came to my area to start a church, God told him "I want you to spend an hour a day in prayer". Back then he was like 'an hour!?!? No way!!!' Yet he's found that an hour isnt enough. He may spend 2 or 3 hours in solid prayer.

-----------

If you want to get close to God, then tell Him that. Tell Him you want to be close, tell Him all that you want.

Don't drop out now. Before Jesus went into ministry, he spent 40 days alone in the desrt being tempted. Moses spent 40 years in the wilderness before he took the Israelites out of Egypt.

You could be sitting on the verge of the greatest rhema of your life. Just hang in there.

xdisciplex
12-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Man but I'm frustrated and I feel like it's so senseless.
I dont even know how!!! I could not even pray 1 hour. I dont know how! I wanted to spend time with God but all I could do was talk all the time. :(
I felt like somebody who is thirsty but can't open the bottle.

disciple
12-24-2005, 02:57 PM
That's all that's involved with praying, talking with God sincerely about anything. Being open and sincere is the key to building a strong relationship with God, as with any relationship. :)

as~i~lay~dying
12-24-2005, 03:07 PM
hey there...first of all welcome to the boards! ;) And about your frusterations...I've totally been there! And what I had to do was cleanse myself and my room of anything the Lord would'nt approve of, so I could get close to Him. A while ago I got bored of christianity and started doing things my way wich turned out bad. God let me hit rock bottom I got rid of everything that seperated me from Him (including breaking up with my boyfriend who I loved very much) and I've been recenlty been experiencing the exciting and full relationship with God, and its hecka awesome! I would continue to talk to God, and if you can't concentrate well or it doesnt seem personal write it down, thats what I do and it makes it more real and personal,like a letter! Alos tell God how much you wnat to get close to Him and listen to a good worship c.d.It puts you in His presence beacuse your totally focused on Him, I also try to think about Him during the day,talk to Him,and try to do and say things that would please Him. If you do this it WILL bring you closer to God. Well. I hope this glepd...I will say a prayer for you!

xdisciplex
12-24-2005, 05:57 PM
and what is the full relationship with God? ???
does he reply to you?

as~i~lay~dying
12-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Yes....I'ts not like a voice I hear, but I know He's listening and he replys by making me feel loved or content when I need it/ask for it, or giving me the words to tell someone about Him or pray for them when I ask. Things like that. And yes that is how I have a full rleationship with Him, I make Him my first love~ I am not dating right now because I don't think I could handle two relationships. I'm focussing all my energy and love and attention on God. Letting Him "hang out" with me all day and knowing He's right there,laughing with me, and being there for me. =)

skynes
12-25-2005, 02:40 AM
There has been a few times where God has actually spoken to me. Only a couple though.

Usually when God wants me to know something I get this little tug in my spirit. A gentle emotional nudge, you know what I mean? A desire to do something, but I know it's not my desires, it's from God.

XDisciple. If you really want to get close to God. Have a half day of fasting.

6 hours of no food. Spend as much of that time as humanly possible reading and praying and worshipping God.

It will make a difference.

xdisciplex
12-25-2005, 03:37 PM
But reading the bible doesn't help me. It only scares me. There are so many parts in the bible which scare me and which i don't understand. I only get tons of questions but no answers. Why don't I understand what I read? I thought the holy spirit would explain it. This is so frustrating. :(
And then I ask others and everybody has a different opinion. This also seems so ridiculous to me. No matter what topic it is most christians do not agree. But everybody thinks he's right. How am I supposed to know that I interpret the bible correctly? I cannot know it and because of this it seems so futile to me. Why even try when you cannot even be 100% sure that you got the meaning? ??? :'(

disciple
12-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Well, that's what this place is for. Ask your question about whatever verse you want in Lighting the Path and you'll surely get a good response. There are a lot of things in the bible here that we can agree on, like Christ dying for our sins, but that which cannot be agreed on is usually something that is up for the individual to seek in the Spirit to discover.

Also, don't try too hard to strain yourself, just relax and spend lots of time in prayer about it, and it will come to you. Have faith that God will answer and He will.

Remember, the mods are here to help, and so are we. Don't be afraid to ask a seemingly simple question, we'll answer. :)

xdisciplex
12-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Man, but the problem is that I cannot always ask others! This is not fun. If I don't understand the bible then I can as well forget about it. There is no sense in reading it when you don't get insights.

disciple
12-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Man, but the problem is that I cannot always ask others! This is not fun. If I don't understand the bible then I can as well forget about it. There is no sense in reading it when you don't get insights.
Yes, you can ask us any time, seriously.

panhead_91
12-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Pray about ask God for what it means he will help you What is the point in reading the Word to get closer to God! Like i have already said if u will just sit down and take time to let him show you what he is trying to say to u thro it.

Isildur9473
12-25-2005, 07:26 PM
and what is the full relationship with God? ???
does he reply to you?

To the first, that's a good question. To the second, I get feelings which may or may not be from him when I pray, and that concludes what I get from God. I get a feeling that he's there which is nice.

Don't read the Bible because you feel like you have to. Pray for God to guide you before you read, then open to a random page and see what's there. This doesn't always work, but in the past it has helped me a lot.

theelectric3
12-26-2005, 11:33 AM
good words of advice Greg.

But reading the bible doesn't help me. It only scares me. There are so many parts in the bible which scare me and which i don't understand. I only get tons of questions but no answers. Why don't I understand what I read? I thought the holy spirit would explain it. This is so frustrating. :(

the Bible is God's love letter to us. we fear what we do not understand. i agree with Greg's comment above to ask God to guide you in your Bible reading. i've done a few of those "read through your Bible in a year" guides - and yes, it really helped me. a few months back i completed my most recent "read through your Bible in a year" and decided not to repeat it because toward the end of it i started to feel like it was my daily routine to go and read this and that, but it wasn't driven by personal hunger. rather, it was driven by a scheduale. sometimes my daily reading consists of one verse. i read it and think on it, pray on it... ask the Lord for revelation in that area of my life... simply digesting it. other readings may be an entire chapter, or a few chapters... however the day feels. i want it to be open and not feel forced. i also flip around throughout the Bible...

i share that only to show there are different ways to approach the Word of God. yes, the Holy Spirit will enlighten us to what the Word is saying... if we ask Him too. He is our Helper and Comforter but if we push Him away... well, He is a gentleman. He respects our desire... even if it's for Him to not intervene in our lives.

you don't need to experience thunder and lightening to hear God's voice. sometimes it's a whisper, thought, or tug inside (conviction) like Scott (Skyness) was refering to.

how do you know if it's Him you are hearing, or your own personal conscience? practice. the more we read His word, spend time with Him... we will begin to develop our sensitivity to Him.

yes God is holy and to be held in high respect. at the same time, through Jesus' blood we can come before the Lord just as we are and speak to Him just as we are. we don't need to clean ourselves up to speak to Him (because in all honesty it wouldn't be good enough... God is perfect and demands perfection). but God choses to see us through His Son. God provided the way for us to communicate with Him once again.

God is love.

i don't believe we will ever reach a place where we know God 100%. (look at lucifer... he thought he knew God after spending being in God's presence for... wow, only God knows. but when lucifer rebelled against God, thinking he could conquer Him, he realized how little he knew God Almighty.)

so why pursue something we will never fully grasp?
because no one else, and nothing else, has ever pursued us like Him. no one else has sacrificed themselves willingly for us. Christ gave up everything for us to come and know our Father.

personally, that captivates me. that interests me. that fuels the desire to know Him. any little glimpse of God and His love for me (and you, and mankind)... it's worth all those times in desperate search.

do i always feel close to God and always have the desire to pursue Him? honeslty, no... i don't. but it is in those times that we have to remind ourselves Who God is and why we were drawn to Him in the first place. to remember all that God has done for us.

And then I ask others and everybody has a different opinion. This also seems so ridiculous to me. No matter what topic it is most christians do not agree. But everybody thinks he's right. How am I supposed to know that I interpret the bible correctly? I cannot know it and because of this it seems so futile to me. Why even try when you cannot even be 100% sure that you got the meaning? ??? :'(

"For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away." 1 Corinthians 13:9-10

We see in part and hear in part, but together we have the mind of Christ.

not one person can say they have the corner of truth. God is so multifaceted...we cannot comprehend Him completely. but together (through the different ways that God reveals Himself to us) we get a better glimpse of Who He is.

but one day, our vision will be clear and we will see Him face to face. and we will know just as we are known. we will understand that He was with us always....

one of the beautiful attributes (character) of God is how He made us all to be individuals. knowing the individuality He has placed in us (we are each unique...created for a special purpose) He relates to us where we are at. He is not so stiff that He can only be reached by a certain people or through certain customs... or how much education you have, etc. no, God promises that those who seek Him will find Him. therefore, the requirement to find Him and know Him is to seek Him. and God knows our hearts. He knows whether or not we are really hungry for Him and seeking for Him. and there is where we find freedom from legalism and rituals. God isn't impressed or moved by the outward appearance as much as He is by the heart (thoughts, motives).

be real with God. there is no point in hiding from Him our true feelings and thoughts... He knows them all already. and you know what? He still loves us. in the good days and bad days. His love is unconditional - which means it isn't based on works. we cannot make Him love us more or less than He already does. and how much does He love us? His Son, Jesus, showed us.

theelectric3
12-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Is anybody here who really gets close to God? I mean not only getting some feelings which might also be from yourself.
Is it even possible to get close to God? And if so then what does getting close to God mean? What does getting into his presence mean? ???

i don't think it's a matter of "getting" in the presence of God as much as it is "acknowledging" the presence of God. Psalm 139 puts it out plainly. i've been reading that over and over lately just soaking in the reality that i don't need to get the right CD or sermon to get me into the presence of God. God is ALWAYS with me. what i need to focus on is acknowledging His presence and allowing Him to be a part of my everyday life. realizing that He wants to be an active part of my day... He wants to be invited. not just there.

He has feelings too... He wants to be wanted.

I think what most christians have today is not satisfying at all and they seem to be happy with what they have. They read the bible and pray and that's it. But where is the personal relationship?? If I only talk to God but don't hear him then this isn't a personal relationship. And only from reading the bible you cannot know God so well. You never know what God thinks in a certain situation. This is simply not the same as being able to talk to him. But most christians don't understand this. They are satisfied with what they have. But what about those which aren't? I am not satisfied with this at all. Moses for example knew God. But compared to Moses I have no clue of God. In order to understand how a person is and how a person thinks you need more than just a book. You also need rhemas. They also show you how God is. For example wether God can also be funny or not. Such things cannot be found in the bible. I feel like there are a few christians which are in ministry which know God so well. It's like they have the best connection. But the majority of christians is in the desert and they don't have all these things. Why?
This way you are always dependant on pastors and what they tell you God just told them. It's like they know it all. They know how God is and what he thinks etc. and then you need them to tell you how God is. This sucks! :(
But I really have no clue how to get close to God. I tried it and it was so frustrating. I just didn't know what to do. I felt so dumb and now I have lost all my motivation. I still want it but at the same time I am so disillusioned I have no more motivation to even talk to God. :'(

you touched so many good points here. you are right, it takes more than mere words to know someone. that is how you can have people you can quote you the Bible backwards and forwards and still not KNOW God. this comes through a relationship. which comes through spending time with Him. (acknowledging His presence and inviting Him to walk with us and talk with us throughout the day, being conscience of His presence, allows us to get to know Him more effectively.)

i mean, just like any other friend (or romantic interest). if you really want to get to know the person more, you need to hang out with them. find their interests... what they like and dislike...

but we cannot disregard the Word of God all together either. because the word of God comes in two levels.

1. logos - the written word. seeing words on a page and reading them.

2. rhema - the word that is speaking. God's word is alive. meaning, God speaks through it to us. sometimes you read a passage and it's as if you've read that verse (or passage) for the first time. it totally opens your eyes to a new revelation of Jesus Christ and brings clarity to a certain situation in your life.

in order to know Him, it does help to know about Him as well. the two go hand in hand.

the beauty of Christianity is that it is a personal relationship. we do not have to go through a pastor, priest or any other religious individual in order to know God. yes, those in religious leadership can help us by giving councel that they have learned through past experience. but if we are going to them in order to hear from God, then that it is wrong.

it's like us going to a prophet in order to get direction in our life. God wants to speak to us directly! in fact, i dare say that He is speaking... we just aren't listening. we, as His children...His bride...His people, need to develop our ears to hear Him and our eyes to see His hand in our lives and in the lives of those around us.

and development takes time.

in the same token, we cannot judge other people's relationship with God compared to another. (for example: "oh, they don't go to this denomational church...therefore, they aren't Christians and don't know God.") God knows the hearts of men and women. Jesus is the judge. not us. our calling is to be ambassadors of the Kingdom of God. to represent His Kingdom here on this Earth. (through His help, strength and wisdom, of course.)

motivation. we, as Christians, need to stop looking to churches, people, music, and experiences to give us a reason (or fuel our desire) to seek God.

"Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of hands." 2 Timothy 1:6

it is our job to stir ourselves up, to encourage ourselves in the Lord. throughout the book of Psalms we see how whenever David was discouraged, he encouraged himself in the Lord.

how do we encourage ourselves in the Lord? by remembrance. remember the Lord and His mighty acts in your life. every breath is a gift from God, a miracle. your health, your ability to speak/see/hear/touch/smell... your family, your friends, music.... there is so much to be thankful for. thank God for the times in your life when you should have been killed but weren't.

thank God because of the fact that we all should live a life serperated from God because of our actions and thoughts. but God, through His love for us, sent His Son to show us the way to Him. yes, there is Someone who loves you that much. :)

be encouraged. we all go through moments where we feel far from God. but i believe in those moments, God is allowing us the time to reflect on Him and to determine to seek Him.

for if we always got what we wanted....wouldn't we simply take Him and His love for granted? He is most precious when we seek Him, when we remember Him... when we feel His presence after going through a moment without the feeling.

but be at peace... He hasn't left you. Christianity is not based on our feelings. it is based off the unconditional love, mercy and grace of God and Jesus Christ. He willingly shed His blood to pay our price. He willingly went to hell for us so we wouldn't have to. and He rose from the dead to show that we are safe with Him. He is the Victorious One.

amen. (so be it.)

xdisciplex
12-26-2005, 05:27 PM
But of course I prayed before reading the bible. I prayed for wisdom and all this, but still didn't understand much. I don't know what to think of this. Would it not frustrate you too if you read and wanted answers and didn't understand much?

Also there is a difference between God's presence, since he is everywhere, and his manifested presence.

Isildur9473
12-26-2005, 05:35 PM
But of course I prayed before reading the bible. I prayed for wisdom and all this, but still didn't understand much. I don't know what to think of this. Would it not frustrate you too if you read and wanted answers and didn't understand much?

Also there is a difference between God's presence, since he is everywhere, and his manifested presence.

I've experianced this too. 99 percent of the time I read the Bible, I don't get much of anything from it. I read the entire thing from cover to cover earlier this year, and spiritually it accomplished nothing. Just keep trying.

Yes, there is a difference between God's true presence, and his manifested presence everyhere.

xdisciplex
12-27-2005, 02:13 PM
I've experianced this too. 99 percent of the time I read the Bible, I don't get much of anything from it. I read the entire thing from cover to cover earlier this year, and spiritually it accomplished nothing. Just keep trying.

Is this normal? ???
Why read the bible when it doesn't do anything? :'(

disciple
12-27-2005, 04:08 PM
Is this normal? ???
Why read the bible when it doesn't do anything? :'(
Because when you don't read the bible, you leave yourself more open to Satan's will. Part of the armor of God is the Word (Ephesians 6:17) -- it's actually the sword of the Spirit. It's an important part, as it helps you fight temptation when it arrives. I know that when I don't read it, I find myself fighting temptation more often.

Mr. Xcitement
12-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Yes the Bible is very important, I feel I have a very close relationship to God, but no, I don't read the Bible every day, or even once a month for that matter. The only times I read it is when I feel moved to, and when that happens, I find an answer, maybe not something I completely understand at the time, but within a few days something will happen where a passage will come to mind and help me in the situation. All together through out the day I would say that I might pray an hour or more. Prayer is done very differently by many people, I for one pray with my eyes open, so I usually pray a little on the way to work, in the morning, at night and other random times in the day. I often feel like I can feel God's presence, it's a calming, comforting feeling.

I can see that you have a strong desire to be close to God, and that is awesome. You could arrange a meeting and sit down with a pastor and speak to them about it (if you haven't done so already). Also, I used to be an atheist of some sort for a while, and I feel the major thing that got me close to God, was a retreat I went on, and while there, seeing so many people so close to God, on one of the last days, I just started crying and fell to my knees, and cried out to God to come help me, save me, and that was the first time I openly excepted Jesus as Lord and Savior. Another forum I post on, that is part of the group I went on the retreat with has pastors and all kinds of Christians on it at www.naccc.org we'd be glad to have you post your concerns there and we could do what we can to help you, and the pastors will add you to their churches prayers lists if you wanted to.

xdisciplex
12-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks but I'm not from the USA.

I don't even know what the armour of God is. Some say it's real others say the opposite. I'm really tired of this multitude of opinions.

Isildur9473
12-29-2005, 02:38 PM
Thanks but I'm not from the USA.

I don't even know what the armour of God is. Some say it's real others say the opposite. I'm really tired of this multitude of opinions.

With different people you get different opinions. That's why their are so many sects of Christianity. Most of them have valid points, and are good in their own ways. The armor of God is more of a symbolic thing than actual armor you put on. It's symoblic of God's protective shield around us correct?

NightCrawler
12-29-2005, 08:14 PM
With different people you get different opinions. That's why their are so many sects of Christianity. Most of them have valid points, and are good in their own ways. The armor of God is more of a symbolic thing than actual armor you put on. It's symoblic of God's protective shield around us correct?It is more than just that. It is also weaponry, footwear, etc. ... but yes, all symbolic...

Unless someone has actually seen flaming darts from Satan.

skynes
12-30-2005, 05:38 AM
Best I can say, is keeping reading, keep praying and be patient.

If you can, get a hold of a book called the God Chasers.

I mean it, keep reading and praying. It may not seem like it's doing anything. But it really is.