skilletgirl
01-08-2006, 03:29 PM
I just love skillet.. they helped me in my baby walk with God back in 00... all the way till 05.. but..

collide.. I just gotta say it.. thier originality seems to be dissapearing and they are sounding way to much like whats out thier these days... I can't stand it.

Now don't jump on me.. I love them and will always..

i just miss.. them

terrasin
01-08-2006, 04:35 PM
This coming from someone with the location: "Phoenix AZ, only thing hotter than the weather is MCR"

:\

CJ

Pretendeavor
01-08-2006, 04:39 PM
yeah collide sounds liek the crap you hear on the radio like linking park.

disciple
01-08-2006, 04:43 PM
This coming from someone with the location: "Phoenix AZ, only thing hotter than the weather is MCR"
One moment please, I have to go find a place where my laughter will be muffled...

...thank you.

I love Collide. I love every album, each one has its own sound and its own value.

Pretendeavor
01-08-2006, 04:47 PM

:\

CJ
thats kind of rude. i mean not everyone likes skillet as well.

aliengurl7
01-08-2006, 05:01 PM
After Invincible I lost interest in Skillet's sound. They do sound generic and it seems like they lost their original sound that made them Skillet. Maybe their next cd will be better.:)

NightCrawler
01-08-2006, 06:25 PM
I just love skillet.. they helped me in my baby walk with God back in 00... all the way till 05.. but..

collide.. I just gotta say it.. thier originality seems to be dissapearing and they are sounding way to much like whats out thier these days... I can't stand it.

i just miss.. them
I agree to a point.

Collide isn't BAD... just... in my musical preference, their worst.

skilletgirl
01-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Terrasin.. that kind of hurt my feelings.. MCR isnt my favorite band.. just of all secular bands i like them the most..

I am sorry i didn't think it would cause silly childish put downs... skillet is still my favorite band... but./... whatever.. i guess I'll be mature and ignore it

skilletgirl
01-08-2006, 06:29 PM
and no.. collide isnt bad.. i just think its begining to sound more like.. .. nickleback/creed. I don't like it much.. I know they wanted ti be accepted in mainstream but thats just too mainstream

NightCrawler
01-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Well, it reminded me of MCR... which I think is what CJ was saying.

Which does not conflict with the idea of lacking originality...

Okay, maybe he wasn't saying that... just... Perhaps it was him living up to his Award...?

skilletgirl
01-08-2006, 06:38 PM
what did? I dont understand?

skilletgirl
01-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Im not trying to start anything... I am one of skillets biggest fans! I love them to death and see them any chance i get.. i just was wondering if anyone might have thought that.. even if they went pop I would still love them.. no doubt!

NightCrawler
01-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Im not trying to start anything... I am one of skillets biggest fans! I love them to death and see them any chance i get.. i just was wondering if anyone might have thought that.. even if they went pop I would still love them.. no doubt!
Oh, I understand that.

Same here too. Although I would not buy their CD as quick if it went cra--I mean pop.

skilletgirl
01-08-2006, 07:15 PM
lol! ! !!!!

terrasin
01-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Terrasin.. that kind of hurt my feelings.. MCR isnt my favorite band.. just of all secular bands i like them the most..

I am sorry i didn't think it would cause silly childish put downs... skillet is still my favorite band... but./... whatever.. i guess I'll be mature and ignore it
Not a putdown, more like dry, ironic humor. Obviously it was missed, though Disciple caught it.

CJ

terrasin
01-08-2006, 07:27 PM
If they didn't like Skillet, why would they be on the Skillet boards on the Skillet fan club? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?

CJ

skilletgirl
01-08-2006, 07:27 PM
maybe i just got caught off guard

Isildur9473
01-08-2006, 07:44 PM
If they didn't like Skillet, why would they be on the Skillet boards on the Skillet fan club? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?

CJ

Umm, I don't really like Skillet all that much, remember? :)

terrasin
01-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Umm, I don't really like Skillet all that much, remember? :)
Well you're just silly. :P

CJ

skilletgirl
01-08-2006, 08:09 PM
lol........

Maugrim
01-09-2006, 08:49 AM
I agree with you. Collide is good, but definetely not my favorite album by Skillet and I hope they go back to their electronic roots (it's doubtful but I can hope). That sound was much more original and distinct...

the_jesta
01-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Not a putdown, more like dry, ironic humor. Obviously it was missed, though Disciple caught it.

CJ

I caught it. I know how you work.

disciple
01-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Well you're just silly. :P

I agree. :D

It hard not to catch my own type of humor -- dry & ironic is next to sarcasm with me. :D ::]

I will say that Collide isn't my favorite Skillet album, though each one holds its own value, but doesn't mean I don't like it. :)

skilletgirl
01-09-2006, 02:26 PM
forgive me for not catching your joke.. but ya gotta say.. it could have went either way..lol

ya.. like i said.. i like collide.. but its sounding too much like other bands.. and they stuck out more when korey;s voice and when the industrial sound was in it...but oh well

Divine Mystery
01-09-2006, 03:27 PM

i just miss.. them

After Invincible I lost interest in Skillet's sound. They do sound generic and it seems like they lost their original sound that made them Skillet. Maybe their next cd will be better.:)

I fully agree with you on this. They do sound more generic, and I really am not a fan of that sound. They're a great band, and I hope Christ is always the center of every thing they involve themselves in (music only being one of these things) - But I just don't agree with the direction they've taken musically.

brandon_p23
01-09-2006, 04:44 PM
I highly disagree with you for a couple of reasons.

1. They were signed to a major record label, Lava. Most, if not all, major record labels are looking for the next "Big Thing," most known as the bockbuster theorum. The A&R people at Lava wouldn't sign Skillet if they weren't original and talented. Remember: most major record labels are after the bands and artists that they believe will hit the big time.

2. Originallity is one's own opinion, and here's my evidence.
Listen to Beethoven's 5th Symphony (1st Movement), Queen's "We Are The Champions, and then anything Skillet. Then, pick your favorite and explain why.
Let's say you picked "We Are The Champion." Well, what makes Skillet and Beethoven worse than Queen? Again, what makes Queen better than the other two?

NightCrawler
01-09-2006, 06:25 PM
I agree with you. Collide is good, but definetely not my favorite album by Skillet and I hope they go back to their electronic roots (it's doubtful but I can hope). That sound was much more original and distinct...
... Hey You, I Love Your Soul...

So dear to my heart...

amodman
01-09-2006, 06:48 PM

Ummm...

yeah collide sounds liek the crap you hear on the radio like linking park.

And this isn't rude? (not to mention not true, but hey) Moving on -

First of all, this unoriginal wash is capital B-guess the four letters here. Nothing sounds just like Skillet. Music may sound similiar, but I strongly disagree that Collide sounds like a rip-off of anything at all! Heck, Skillet's most "white noise" album (not saying bad, just done), was the first self-titled cd. Again, though, they didn't sound "just like everything else", but happen to be one of many bands with that sound coming out at that time.

Personally, I like many of Skillet's old songs, but my favorite album by far is Collide. It's easily in my top 5 favorite albums ever, pretty much as a requirement, actually, it's filled with such freaking awsomeness! Do I care that you prefer more Hey You over Collide? No, why would I? But don't give me this "they sound just like everythins else" junk. Heck, people need to at least give an exact example when they make statements like that, which I find pretty hard so generally try to stay away from myself :P.

the_jesta
01-09-2006, 06:58 PM
I think that the only band they really sound ilke is LInkin Park with the piano on Fingernails and maybe 12 Stones on Cycle Down. But even that is a stretch in my opinion. Also for those of you who want them to go back to their roots: do you really know what their roots are? It's not electronic, it's grundgy post-Nirvana. Anyways, seeing as how Collide was Skillet's first album in the genre, I think they did very well. Not my favorite album, but not to be shunned.

timmyrotter
01-09-2006, 07:07 PM
it would be an absolute waste of time to be on these boards without being a skillet fan (2 cents)

the_jesta
01-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Good call.

brandon_p23
01-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Make it a solid nickel. :)

unshakeable15
01-09-2006, 11:40 PM
just remember, the next album, John has said so himself, Korey will be back, as will her keys. so all you who say "they sound too much like Linkin Park/Nickelback/12 Stones/that one band", no longer. they will have the uniqueness of synths and Korey's bg-vocals yet again. :)

Pretendeavor
01-10-2006, 06:58 AM
I highly disagree with you for a couple of reasons.

1. They were signed to a major record label, Lava. Most, if not all, major record labels are looking for the next "Big Thing," most known as the bockbuster theorum. The A&R people at Lava wouldn't sign Skillet if they weren't original and talented. Remember: most major record labels are after the bands and artists that they believe will hit the big time.

i dont think the sign because of orginality in there sound of collide. now days the sign whate evr sounds the same that ppl like.

the_jesta
01-10-2006, 02:20 PM
A common misconception, in my opinon.

skilletgirl
01-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Once again.. am not attacking skillet. I just wish.. I wish record labels didn't push them to sound different. I mean.. if i were any artist,I wouldn't lose my sound just to gain popularity. No offense.. but thier mainstream debut did not go very well. Not as well as some others(say relient k.. but i don't like them that much anywho..)

However.. why couldn't they sign up with arecord lable like.. now just and example.. not a personal choice, but like Victory.. which seems to like the idea of new sounds. They still would have a chance ot go popular. Why did it have to be Lava.. known for thier plain rock sound. I dunno.. I just think maybe they could have wieghted out other options isnted of doing what Lava told them. I am surprised Lava didn't like thier old sounds.. cause hey.. thier music WAS featured in a movie!!! Music from.. guess what.. INVINCIBLE! (Extreme days)

the_jesta
01-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Well, just a few facts:

1) Skillet did not sign with Lava untill a few months after the release of Collide.

2) They recorded the song "Open Wounds" to put on the Lava release of the album, a song that is closer to 'their roots'.

3) Lava was not the first label to give Skillet an offer.

4) Lava had been watching Skillet since not after they began, waiting for them to release an album with marketable content. Not music, mind you, but lyrics. A mainstream debut where the fiorst words of the title track/first song on the album are "Worldwide Jesus domination" would not have been a good idea.

My point is that Skillet did not try to sound the way the record label "wanted" them too, simply because they released the album before any contact with Lava had been made. After they signed with Lava, they recorded a song more like their older stuff. See what I'm saying? I just wonder how big the percentage of fans Skillet lost when they went from the self-titled to HYILYS... That was a much bigger jump than they did here.

If there is any erroneus information in this, I'm sure terrasin would be happy to let you all know. :azn:

skilletgirl
01-11-2006, 05:29 PM
thanks for the facts!

still that dosen't change my mind about how I think skillet should try to be more like they origianlly were.. but hey.. alrighty then!