eternity
01-11-2006, 08:21 PM
1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me,
so far from the words of my groaning?

Why did Jesus cry these words out when He was on the cross? I mean...He knew what would happen to Him, did He not? He knew that He was going to have to die in order to take on the sins of the world...so why did He question God when He was hung there?

disciple
01-11-2006, 08:23 PM
I believe it was a sign that he was truly human, of the temptation he felt to get off the cross, the pain that he was going through to die for our sins, but I could be wrong.

eternity
01-11-2006, 08:28 PM
And everyone human is quite capable of feeling a lack of faith in God, as well...Was it possible that if He felt that temptation to get off the cross because of the pain...that He may have experienced this lack of faith in God for fear that He might not pull Him through??

disciple
01-11-2006, 08:29 PM
I personally believe that Jesus was tempted by Satan to get off the cross, because Satan knew what it would mean for him to die and rise again.

eternity
01-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Ok, so we know that He did not move from that cross until after He had died...but...

If that temptation was there, if He experienced that moment of possible temptation by Satan...what pulled Him back from doing so? I mean...If God was hurt so much that He would need to turn His face away and make Jesus feel...forsaken...what was there stopping Him??

Why?

disciple
01-11-2006, 08:40 PM
What was stopping him from stepping down? His love for mankind.

aliengurl7
01-11-2006, 08:58 PM
"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Because at that moment Jesus felt the full wrath of God for the sins of the world on Him. He felt seperation from the Father for the first time.

"Why are you so far from saving me,
so far from the words of my groaning?"

This was probably what david was feeling for what he did.

skynes
01-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Sam, you know how ou felt separated from Kev.

Now imagine you'd known him for all eternity before hand, that you'd never be away from him before.

Then all of a sudden he turns his back on you.

How would you feel?

Amplify that 100 fold and you'd be close to how Christ felt.

eternity
01-12-2006, 06:41 AM
*flinches*...ouch...actually ouch doesn't justify it... :-X

But Christ asked...Why have you forsaken me?

Why did He ask a question He already knew the answer to?? ???

skynes
01-12-2006, 07:07 AM
He was fulfilling a prophesy.

I think it was the human side. Frustration, pain, agony, combined with His Father turning His back on Him. Why did have to be this way? Why did humans have to rebel? Why was there not another way?

I'm sure all these thoughts were rushing into His head as His lungs collapsed.

unshakeable15
01-13-2006, 02:17 PM
He was fulfilling a prophesy.
that is huge as well.

even on the cross, he was still Teacher. by referencing David (and believe me, those who heard him knew it was from a psalm of David) he yet again used Scripture as an arrow pointing to himself.

skilletosis
01-13-2006, 05:18 PM
When we are tempted and going through something so extreemly painfull whether physically, emotionally, or a combination of the two we can look to Jesus as an example of what to do. We cannot say "well Jesus didn't go through what I'm going through". Jesus went throught the worst thing possible, total separation from God. How did He handle it, He put his trust and faith in His father; He knew that when all was said and done He would spend eternity with God. So next time we go through something we need to look to Christ for guidance. And I say that with a big "Me also".

theelectric3
01-13-2006, 05:43 PM
personally, i believe Christ said that because Jesus is the only man to have felt God's presence leave.

Sin cannot dwell (or stand) in the presence of God. so when Christ took on the sin of the entire world, God's presence couldn't be there.

Jesus is the only one who knows what it truely feels like to be completely alone. moreso than we do... for God's presence is always with us (whether we feel it or not).

and Jesus did that just for us... amazing...

drumchick101
01-13-2006, 10:07 PM
That puts a stab to my heart. I put myself in the perspective of the weeping women, it would have made me cry more to be told to weep for myself and my children. But I think it was His humanity, how can one stand to be away from God's presence?? I don't know if He could have been thinking of the prophecy at that time, I think He was in a most terrible anguish (and that's much of an understatement).

><sarah><