bob
01-31-2006, 12:07 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/special/youngearn06_article1.html

skilltroks
01-31-2006, 12:56 PM
(this is nothing new to me.)

terrasin
01-31-2006, 02:52 PM
This is one of the reasons I've chosen to go into business for myself with a team of leaders who want to help people succeed.

Colleges every year graduate 100,000's of students, but there are fewer jobs being made than kids graduating, and more people who have jobs are becoming unemployed because of downsizing, companies closing, and outsourcing. Dell Computers just the other day hired 5000 more people from India so they can put more money into their own pockets instead of paying American workers. To me, that's just as bad as hiring illegal immigrants that are inside the country.

We are in an age that is only going to become worse if people don't do something to help themselves. The years when you could just go to college, get a degree, and get a great job are long over.

CJ

brandon_p23
01-31-2006, 03:23 PM
This is one of the reasons I've chosen to go into business for myself with a team of leaders who want to help people succeed.

Colleges every year graduate 100,000's of students, but there are fewer jobs being made than kids graduating, and more people who have jobs are becoming unemployed because of downsizing, companies closing, and outsourcing. Dell Computers just the other day hired 5000 more people from India so they can put more money into their own pockets instead of paying American workers. To me, that's just as bad as hiring illegal immigrants that are inside the country.

We are in an age that is only going to become worse if people don't do something to help themselves. The years when you could just go to college, get a degree, and get a great job are long over.

CJ
True that. It's hard to even look for a job after college and high school, even well AFTER you graduated and got some sort of degree or diploma.

Mr. Xcitement
01-31-2006, 06:03 PM
The part I really don't understand is the people who can't stand it when companies do these things, but then will go out and buy a Dell, if you really do not like what these companies are doing, then boycott them, do not give them your money, Walmart does most of it's business through companies with their labor in foreign countries and so I do not shop there, and I might need to spend more money, but I can support what I feel is right.

disciple
01-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Unfortunately, Wal-Mart has good prices and good BBQ chicken, so I'll keep shopping there.

But, of course, articles like these are discouraging.

skynes
02-01-2006, 01:09 AM
I'm sitting at $10'000 in debt as it is. For TWO years University. Laura has about the same from a Course she did.

Yay, I get to walk into marriage with $20'000 in debt + whatever my mortgage will be.

I think it's utterly sickening. It puts the lower class off education and the rich walk into it with no problems.

john316
02-01-2006, 02:21 AM
I'm sitting at $10'000 in debt as it is. For TWO years University. Laura has about the same from a Course she did.

Yay, I get to walk into marriage with $20'000 in debt + whatever my mortgage will be.

I think it's utterly sickening. It puts the lower class off education and the rich walk into it with no problems.

Here's the thing that you and Laura have going for you that a lot of ppl dont...you have God on your side. We are facing some of these things with our daughter's tuition but we have put in His hands. He will meet your needs. :)

skynes
02-01-2006, 02:59 AM

Ok I don't have a counter to that. We do have God.

My point is that this problem shouldn't exist in the first place. Student's get ripped by virtually everyone.

weebird20
02-01-2006, 03:11 AM
thanks John....that's very true....letting God have control over how we manage our money now and in the future is a comforting thot for me....cus i know that He is guuuuuuuuud!

it is really terrible that ppl need to take out loans of so much to pay for an education that i must admitt isn't all that great most of the time...i think they wud learn more from actually having a job in the area they hope to work in and learn by experience...altho i know that doesn't apply to everything...like Scott said we're both in debt..mine is around 6,000 from my college course in Graphic Design and it is scary to think that when we are married that we will have to deal with both our student loans, a morgage, a car, phone, bills, electricity, etc...it can seem very overwhelming...tho i do thank God that He is there for us now and will be there for us in our future.

Matthew 6:31-33, "So don't worry at all about having enough food and clothing. Why be like the heathen? For they take pride in all these things and are deeply concerned about them. But your heavenly Father already knows perfectly well that you need them, and He will give them to you if you give Him first place in your life and live as He wants you to."

terrasin
02-01-2006, 04:27 AM
The part I really don't understand is the people who can't stand it when companies do these things, but then will go out and buy a Dell, if you really do not like what these companies are doing, then boycott them, do not give them your money, Walmart does most of it's business through companies with their labor in foreign countries and so I do not shop there, and I might need to spend more money, but I can support what I feel is right.
Ok, some reasons why outsourcing is a bad idea (using Dell as an example):

1. It takes jobs away from hard working Americans just so a company can put more money into their own pockets.

2. The people they hire are very hard to understand. Have you ever called somewhere that transferred you to India? You are constantly saying "what?" and asking them to repete what they said. This means more time on the phone and less time getting things done.

3. People on the other end usually can't help you. They are usually very uneducated in what they are doing, and if you need to send something in for repairs, you have to contact someone else because they can't forward shipping labels. it's a waste of the consumers time.

4. We lose more market in the US as more companies outsource to other countries. All it took was one company to say they saved themselves $200,000 a quarter by hiring in India to have every other major corperation raise their heads in curriousosity and start doing it themselves.

5. There is no getting around using these companies. The days of mom and pop stores is over. Most of them have closed or will be closing in the next 5 years as mega giant corperations take the head of the market and all the business along with it. Boycotting a company does nothing. People don't care anymore as long as they get it here and now. Big companies can provide better quality and cheaper prices and that is all the American consumer cares about. They never care about the state of American jobs till it happens to them.

This country has become very apathetic over the last century. They stopped caring about their neighbors and started caring more about themselves. "I don't care unless it happens to me" is now the unofficial motto of the American man. This is eventually going to hurt this country to a point that it's commerce will be very unstable and eventually come to a crash. Other stores can't compete with these giants, their doors close, and jobs are lost.

CJ

Isildur9473
02-01-2006, 05:54 AM
One thing that gets to me is how these companies stress education. They say that they donate their money to education, or fund scholarships, or something of that sort. What good is having a scholarship, or a degree when all of the jobs no longer exist in America? I'm glad I want a Federal job...

skynes
02-01-2006, 11:41 AM
I've spoken to Dell Tech Support. They don't speak English as a first language and are VERY hard to understand.

It's sickening when I need to tell the Techie HOW to fix my computer! When they send the same replacement parts twice to no effect and I have no actually say to her "Look it's the processor. The last engineer said it can sometimes be the processor as it detects a false overheat and blames the fan", hence why I was getting a CPU Fan Failure error.

She said "oh.. oh o. .. oh oh ... I arrange to have New Processor sent out to you..."

Bah!

disciple
02-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Yeah, speaking to the Microsoft Techie I spoke to (from France) was difficult. She couldn't say all the letters in the English alphabet correctly. (Like B & V being the same to her and Q sounding like "Coo". What the heck is a "coo"?) On the other hand, the Sony Techie I spoke to about my PS2 was American and understood my problem right away.

asparagus
02-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Yeah, speaking to the Microsoft Techie I spoke to (from France) was difficult. She couldn't say all the letters in the English alphabet correctly. (Like B & V being the same to her and Q sounding like "Coo". What the heck is a "coo"?) On the other hand, the Sony Techie I spoke to about my PS2 was American and understood my problem right away.Which is rather ironic considering they aren't even an American company. Looks like they're outsourcing Japaneese jobs. ; - )

disciple
02-01-2006, 08:18 PM
LOL. Yeah, that is ironic. :P

At least I got my tech help. ::]

unshakeable15
02-02-2006, 07:05 PM
but back to financial responsibility. :)

it pays to be a minority when it comes to college education. ;) there are squat scholarships out there for caucasian males.

it also pays to have parents who look ahead and invest money for their kids that they can't touch unless it's for college or they are 25 (my parents).

and having a college that's not too expensive helps a lot as well.

skynes
02-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Which is rather ironic considering they aren't even an American company. Looks like they're outsourcing Japaneese jobs. ; - )
Nahhh they're just doing what the Japanese do best - Be intelligent!
They're giving the Techie jobs to the country the Tech support is for.

Isildur9473
02-03-2006, 08:44 AM
it pays to be a minority when it comes to college education. ;) there are squat scholarships out there for caucasian males.

Yeah, I'm in a very bad position. I'm a white male with decent grades, but that's about it. My dad makes a very significant amount of money, so financial aid will be very difficult to get. My dad said he won't pay for any of my College so I'm pretty much screwed.

disciple
02-03-2006, 12:49 PM
*sings to himself* I'm a hispanic man, a hispanic man, a hispanic man...

Funny how they call us a "minority" and yet there's almost enough of us for each white man in this country. ;)

I don't even know that I want to attend a college.

Nahhh they're just doing what the Japanese do best - Be intelligent!
They're giving the Techie jobs to the country the Tech support is for.
Very true. I'm glad I can get the help I need.

unshakeable15
02-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I'm in a very bad position. I'm a white male with decent grades, but that's about it. My dad makes a very significant amount of money, so financial aid will be very difficult to get. My dad said he won't pay for any of my College so I'm pretty much screwed.
'bout the same here (tho my grades are better than decent, it still doesn't help that much).

eowyn
02-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Scholarships and the nursing field..that's how I do this...and the absolute grace of God..luckily I hsould be able to get a job right away..and could make up to $70,000 as an RN, BSN. But...I'm not going to. I don't want debt. I'm going to Peru to work in a rural clinic.

Mr. Xcitement
02-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Actually there are fairly cheap, good paying jobs to get, an EMT class I took was only $1000, and after doing that for a year you can take a class to be a paramedic (which is my plan), although not sure what that one pays. Also, my Fiancie took a CNA class for free through a nursing home, all she had to do was work for them for a year, and after that she could take the LPN course which I think was $500 or $1000, and then after that is RN, or she could just skip to RN, but I think she wants to take the middle step to learn things better. My actual dream would be as a paramedic for a fire department, but this is where some more unfairness comes from, where Millitary people get preference, which in some ways I do understand, but I have also heard some veteran fire fighters complain about it, cause they get the millitary people in there that are big and strong, but not too bright, and thus cause just about as many problems as things they can fix.