panhead_91
02-05-2006, 11:10 AM
I looked and i didnt find any like this so..... wut do u all thinka bout it. I mean do think cutting is a sin?

theelectric3
02-05-2006, 11:36 AM
i believe that God desires a different way for one to release the pain, anger and fear than cutting one's self. going to Jesus, laying at His feet all of your concerns, is the better alternative than self-mutilation.

Isildur9473
02-05-2006, 11:36 AM
I would imagine that it's a sin since the Bible says that your body is a temple and it's of God, so why would you inflict harm on something that's of God?

Personally I think it's a terrible thing to do. What do you gain from it besides a bunch of scars on your arms and legs, and the possiblity of an infection?

Unregistered
02-05-2006, 07:00 PM
I would imagine that it's a sin since the Bible says that your body is a temple and it's of God, so why would you inflict harm on something that's of God?

Personally I think it's a terrible thing to do. What do you gain from it besides a bunch of scars on your arms and legs, and the possiblity of an infection?

not really anything except a bizarre sort of relief. it's really similar to alcohol and drugs. not benificial in any way, but somehow addicting. it sounds ridiculous, i know, and that's why i'm posting this as unregistered.

as~i~lay~dying
02-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Yes, I do...God tells us to control our anger...to have self-control and that is not having self control...also we are God's temple we have no right to ruin what God has made so beautiful! When I used to cut I always felt so far away from God, it was an anger, control type thing and obviously those things are not of God.

amodman
02-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Ummm, yes? Lol. I'd say it kinda has to be. Body (as has been said) = temple of God & God's property (NOT your own). You = steward of God's property. Harming body = sin. Basically, just as much a sin as taking your own life would be.

Mr. Xcitement
02-06-2006, 02:38 AM
I agree, your body is God's Temple and thus it is a sin, other than that everything has been said already.

weebird20
02-06-2006, 03:13 AM
i agree that God desires us to release all our frustrations and anger in a way that does not hurt us...like Tracy said..."going to Jesus, laying at His feet all of your concerns" hey He even suggests that to us in his Word :)

Matthew 11:28
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

This verse in 1 Corintians has already been brought up...when you accept God and the gift of life that He offers...that body of yours is no longer just yours...you have an indwelling of the Holy Spirit...and with that we are to bring glory onto the Lord...and i really cannot see how in any way cutting yourself would give Him any glory.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are Godís.

This is one of my favourite verses...

Psalm 139:14
I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well

God has given us the gift of life...although some may seem to have it easier and more together than others...He has made us each beautiful and unique...there is absolutely no one else who has the gifts...talents...skills...hopes...dreams...that you have...

Maddog
02-06-2006, 05:48 AM
Yah its a sin, i wish it wasnt but it is. I cant say WHY its a sin. It just is. I guess all ^ ^^ ^^^ ^^^^... those answers are pretty acurate.

panhead_91
02-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Thankz u guys but another thing u all ahvnt meationed is one thing my youth pastor said.........anywere u look in the bible cutting is associated with demons.....

When Elijah and the Bale prophets were on Mount Carmel

1 Kings 18:28 (The Message)
"They prayed louder and louder, cutting themselves with swords and knives--a ritual common to them--until they were covered with blood."

The man that was possesed by the legin of demons

Mark 5:5 (The Message)
"Night and day he roamed through the graves and the hills, screaming out and slashing himself with sharp stones."

so i guess wut i am trying to get at is its not only a sin but it demonic

kittygirl
02-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Totally. Alot of times, people just say it's a phase, and that "everybody's doing it."
Honestly, nothing is non-spiritual.
In the bible, whenever someone was far from God, or whenever Satan wanted to tempt someone to hurt themselves, they would cut.

I used to be uberly deppressed, and I didn't cut. But I did run into a door (on purpose) with nails sticking out of it, and I have 2 or 3 scars on my arm.

Basiclly, I just did that because I wasn't thinking straight (a), and also, because this whole culture is becoming infested with people just hurting themselves and others every day.

My dad and I were watching 20-20 the other day, and it was about cutting. Sometimes kids cut, or threaten to to manipulate their parents into doing something. And for attention.

Or, if they have a bad day, they get out a razor.
More on this later.

Rachael

skynes
02-07-2006, 12:38 AM
Thankz u guys but another thing u all ahvnt meationed is one thing my youth pastor said.........anywere u look in the bible cutting is associated with demons.....

When Elijah and the Bale prophets were on Mount Carmel

1 Kings 18:28 (The Message)
"They prayed louder and louder, cutting themselves with swords and knives--a ritual common to them--until they were covered with blood."

The man that was possesed by the legin of demons

Mark 5:5 (The Message)
"Night and day he roamed through the graves and the hills, screaming out and slashing himself with sharp stones."

so i guess wut i am trying to get at is its not only a sin but it demonic

I don't think any of us ever thought of it before. Thanks for sharing that!

NightCrawler
02-07-2006, 07:28 AM
My study bible's footnote on the verse about the guy possessed with a demon that cut himself with rocks said something like this:

We are made in God's image. Demons, while possessing, may be inclined to cut the host so to mutilate His beautiful image. Kinda like slapping God in the face.

I don't know if it is wrong. I know cutting yourself or tattooing for the dead is wrong, but to cope? I don't know.

Is cutting a sin against the body like sex is? Because the verse you guys are giving (us being the temple of the Holy Spirit) is in reference to sexual immorality. Don't take something out of its original context without seriously considering if there is enough support for a stance/connection than you may be propaganda'izing.

NightCrawler
02-07-2006, 07:29 AM
For example, here is the verse : /

1 Corinithians 6
18Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. 19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

morgojw
02-07-2006, 08:00 AM
I think that even if it's talking about sexual immorality here, the meaning still carries through. God bought you with His blood. Sexual immorality is a sin, but this verse can also go back to the fact that you are not your own to do whatever you want to do. You are Christ's and anything that you do against your body is a sin.

NightCrawler
02-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Let's look at the verse again.

"All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body"

Even if cutting is a sin, it isn't like sexual sins.

So, you can't say something is a sin because it harms the body -- and point to that verse. It just doesn't follow.

morgojw
02-07-2006, 08:14 AM
ok that makes sense.. but then you're back at square one. Are there any verses that talk about not harming yourself? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'll keep looking.

Going back to what Tiffany pointed out, cutting is associated with demons. Right now I'm trying to convince a friend of mine that cutting is wrong. I found those verses before I came back to this thread and I'm wondering if anyone knows of more verses like those..?

panhead_91
02-07-2006, 01:26 PM
ummm well I am rying toget ut of cytting also......*sigh* very bad habet my Youth pastor got some sriptures 4 me........I can look 'em up and stuff 4 ya......if ya want me too

skilletosis
02-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Right now my reference materials are packed up. So I would point you to the reference to tatoos. It reads something like "do not cut yourselves or make tatoo marks as the pagans do". Ok that's very paraphrased. If someone can whip out thier Strongs it's easy to find.

amodman
02-07-2006, 07:10 PM
My study bible's footnote on the verse about the guy possessed with a demon that cut himself with rocks said something like this:

We are made in God's image. Demons, while possessing, may be inclined to cut the host so to mutilate His beautiful image. Kinda like slapping God in the face.

I don't know if it is wrong. I know cutting yourself or tattooing for the dead is wrong, but to cope? I don't know.

Is cutting a sin against the body like sex is? Because the verse you guys are giving (us being the temple of the Holy Spirit) is in reference to sexual immorality. Don't take something out of its original context without seriously considering if there is enough support for a stance/connection than you may be propaganda'izing.

Okay, I may look something up in a 'bit here, but first off, do you understand the verse? It's true, yes, it is speaking in relation to sexual sin. But, this isn't a sermon on not harming yourself. Paul simply made a reference to a principle that, it seems he thought, should be obvious. Ie. "Do you not know...?," etc. This was not his point. He was reminding the Corinthians of something they already knew, that their body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit which should not be degraded to chastise them for their sexual sin.

You have to understand the context of the message, not just the message itself. There was massive Jewish tradition for keeping the body clean and sacred. (not saying you would, but...) Please, do not jump to the "normal" Christian conclusion - "Well, that was under the Law, and we're free from the Law, yay!" It's ridiculous. Why do you think the Torah existed in the first place? The body, our gift from God, has always been held sacred in God's eyes. Not only did the Torah hold spiritual instructions for his people, but ways to eat, live, etc. to keep themselves healthy. Sometimes, these overlapped. Big freakin' obvious of an Ie. - the 10 commandments.

Besides, then, God's clear prefferance for keeping ourselve healthy (which cutting obviously violates, directly and extremely), he wants to keep us spiritually right. We can see cutting yourself is harmful to you in that respect in relation to several other sins. Such as, for instance, Drunkeness & Gluttony - sins of Indulgence (or sexual sin, for that matter, though I was avoiding the example). Obviously, cutting yourself is a sick indulgence that, besides being harmful to yourself (God's property), creates a reliance upon yourself to ease your pain (through harm, I remind you). This is, quite clearly, another wrong thing to do. And, furthermore, why would one contract a desire to harm themselves? If it's not from God, guess what? It's from sin! Our wonderfully always present sinful nature and desires at work! Chances are, even, that demonic inspiration would be involved.

morgojw
02-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Right now my reference materials are packed up. So I would point you to the reference to tatoos. It reads something like "do not cut yourselves or make tatoo marks as the pagans do". Ok that's very paraphrased. If someone can whip out thier Strongs it's easy to find.

Leviticus 19:28.. I had to look that one up today

thanks for the offer Tiffany.. my friend seems to be doing ok, but if things start getting hard I may call on you :)

NightCrawler
02-08-2006, 05:49 AM
Okay, I may look something up in a 'bit here, but first off, do you understand the verse? It's true, yes, it is speaking in relation to sexual sin. But, this isn't a sermon on not harming yourself. Paul simply made a reference to a principle that, it seems he thought, should be obvious. Ie. "Do you not know...?," etc. This was not his point. He was reminding the Corinthians of something they already knew, that their body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit which should not be degraded to chastise them for their sexual sin.
[...]
Besides, then, God's clear prefferance for keeping ourselve healthy (which cutting obviously violates, directly and extremely), he wants to keep us spiritually right. We can see cutting yourself is harmful to you in that respect in relation to several other sins. Such as, for instance, Drunkeness & Gluttony - sins of Indulgence (or sexual sin, for that matter, though I was avoiding the example). Obviously, cutting yourself is a sick indulgence that, besides being harmful to yourself (God's property), creates a reliance upon yourself to ease your pain (through harm, I remind you). This is, quite clearly, another wrong thing to do. And, furthermore, why would one contract a desire to harm themselves? If it's not from God, guess what? It's from sin! Our wonderfully always present sinful nature and desires at work! Chances are, even, that demonic inspiration would be involved.So, is it a sin to be stupid? Because I don't think God wants us to be stupid, and it can be self-indulging. (bliss)

panhead_91
02-08-2006, 11:47 AM
thanks for the offer Tiffany.. my friend seems to be doing ok, but if things start getting hard I may call on you :)
ok thats good that she/he os doing better