bob
02-06-2006, 02:52 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/religion

Seriously, a cartoon! Come on. If muslims were subjected to half the crap that christians are they'd be done for. Islam really ticks me off, all these extremists are crazy, there's no better word for it.

http://www.uriasposten.net/pics/JP-011005-Muhammed-Westerga.jpg

morgojw
02-06-2006, 02:57 PM
insane muslims.. *mutters under breath*

disciple
02-06-2006, 03:06 PM
insane Christians... *mutters under breath*

frymeskillet
02-06-2006, 03:08 PM
That's what they're for, right? haha...insane and crazy are perfect words for them :P

bob
02-06-2006, 03:08 PM
insane Christians... *mutters under breath*

Eh? Insane am I? When the New York Times makes a snide reference about Jesus do I burn down the embassy of the United States???? No! I'm not trying to say that i'm better than them, i'm just trying to comprehend how people call Islam a "Peaceful religion".

disciple
02-06-2006, 03:09 PM
There IS a difference between "extremist Islam" and Islam.

Just like there's a difference between real Christian and a wacko nut job who goes on a killing spree claiming he's doing "God's work".

EDIT: And yes, you ARE insane. ;) :P

animeraven34
02-06-2006, 03:10 PM
i'm just trying to comprehend how people call Islam a "Peaceful religion".

all these extremists are crazy
*ahem* That help any?

bob
02-06-2006, 03:10 PM
No, because it seems like every muslim is a freaking extremist.

animeraven34
02-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Those are the ones you hear about. Just like you only hear about the whacked out Christians who fire bomb abortion clinics.

frymeskillet
02-06-2006, 03:14 PM
WAIT!!! *puts some popcorn in the microwave* *waits for it to stop cooking*
....You may continue... *stuffs some popcorn in her mouth*

bob
02-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Those are the ones you hear about. Just like you only hear about the whacked out Christians who fire bomb abortion clinics.

So that's how you explain the entire country of Iran? Sudan perhaps? Countries where countless christians are killed. Or the muslims burning cars in France? Or the London bombings? These aren't just isolated instances.

Oh, I almost forgot Syria.

disciple
02-06-2006, 03:19 PM
What? So you're suggesting that every single resident of Iran went out and burned Christians? What about the ones who stayed home, who have no reason of being mentioned on the news?

You must realize that just because those are the only ones on the news, that thosse are the only ones. What about Iraqis?

animeraven34
02-06-2006, 03:20 PM
So that's how you explain the entire country of Iran? Sudan perhaps? Countries where countless christians are killed. Or the muslims burning cars in France? Or the London bombings? These aren't just isolated instances.
Ah extremism at work. ::] You seem to be assuming that all muslims are terrorists...which strikes me as awfully close to the point of view that the actual terrorists have.

asparagus
02-06-2006, 03:31 PM
No, because it seems like every muslim is a freaking extremist.I hope there aren't any Muslim visitors on these boards interested in learning more about Jesus.

bob
02-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Ah extremism at work. ::] You seem to be assuming that all muslims are terrorists...which strikes me as awfully close to the point of view that the actual terrorists have.

I'm not saying all are, it's just that it's hard to believe that there isn't a majority of extremism in the Islamic faith, because simple math here people, if they keep blowing themselves up, and there's still more, than they're a lot bigger than one select group.

amodman
02-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Meh, generalizations are dumb. God always said that Ishmael's descendants would be numerous upon the Earth and create conflict with his people. Guess what? Islam = largest religion on Earth + large portions of extremists = large amounts of terrorism and bad representation.

I don't support Islam, but neither do I care for bashing it's followers as a whole. A lot of Christians suck too. Actually, let me rephrase that, a Lot of "Christians" suck too.

Spiffles
02-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Meh, generalizations are dumb. God always said that Ishmael's descendants would be numerous upon the Earth and create conflict with his people. Guess what? Islam = largest religion on Earth + large portions of extremists = large amounts of terrorism and bad representation.

I don't support Islam, but neither do I care for bashing it's followers as a whole. A lot of Christians suck too. Actually, let me rephrase that, a Lot of "Christians" suck too.

i agree with you on all that :)

bob
02-06-2006, 04:07 PM

When a christian group flies two planes into two towers and kills about 2000 people, come back. Until then . . .

bob
02-06-2006, 04:16 PM
The main problem with Islam is that many/most of its adherents are not often exposed to alternate religious views and interpretations of Islam. Then, when that does happen, they go freaking crazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons

skilletgirl
02-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Just so ya know.. not all muslims are extreme.. they are peaceful when kept to themselves

amodman
02-06-2006, 04:27 PM
The main problem with Islam is that many/most of its adherents are not often exposed to alternate religious views and interpretations of Islam. Then, when that does happen, they go freaking crazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons

Yikes, no convincing you. Whateva'. Though, I should add, look at the Puritans, I mean, early Americans wiping out the un-religious Indians, the Crusdaes, Inquisition, etc. These are all exmaples of where masses of Christians were convinced to go all gung ho' killa' crazy to "protect their religion."

Difference is, though, the people leading these movements and those leading the Islamic religion (which happens to control whole nations and, thus, the society it presents its people with) have no real relationship with God. Devious ideas of Demonic inspiration abound, and violent incidents occur. These people are lost, just like anyone else in the world who hasn't foudn Christ, not crazy...

bob
02-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Just so ya know.. not all muslims are extreme.. they are peaceful when kept to themselves

Yeah, i'm sure a United Arabia would be very peacefull. ::]

bob
02-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Yikes, no convincing you. Whateva'.

What's the point in having an opinion if you change it every second?

:P

riz
02-06-2006, 04:36 PM
every muslim is a freaking extremist.

Okay, tell that to some of my friends who are Muslim. I'm sure they'd appreciate you saying that. If you want to play the 'flip-flop' game (sorry, bad word choice, I know), I think it is pretty clear to most people know that not all Christians are 'extremists.' I know there are some people that don't think that, but I hope they realize that that's not the case.

Isildur9473
02-06-2006, 04:38 PM
I agree with bob. Besides the fact that they blow everything out of proportion, it's a barbaric religion. There, I said it. I think it's a barbaric religion that treats women like garbage. It also had a foundation built on violence, I'm going to find a post I previously posted about this....

-"Fight and slay the pagans wherever you find them." (Surah 9:5)
-"The last hour won't come before the Muslims would fight the Jews, and the Muslims will kill them. So Jews would hide behind rocks and trees. Then the rocks and trees would call, 'Oh, Muslim. Oh, Servant of God. There is a Jew behind me. Come and kill him." (Bukhari 4:176-177)
-In Islam, a man can have up to four wives at the same time (Sura 4:3)
-A man can beat his disobedient wife (Sura 4:34, Bukhari 8:68 )
-An example of Muhammad himself beating his wife is documented in the Sahih Muslim Hadith, number 2127. (Note, the Arabic word for beat is the same word as how you would treat a slave or a camel.)
-Muhammad himself actually had sixteen wives, two concubines/slaves, and four women of uncertain relationships.
-Men are superior to women in Islamic teaching. (Sura 2:228, 4:34)
-In Islamic law, a woman's testimony is worth half that of men because the female mind is considered deficient. (Sura 2:282, Bukhari 3:826)
-Prostitution is common in some Muslim countries, especially Africa. Some Muslims justify prostitution by marrying the woman for the night, which seems to be okay as long as they stay within the limit of four wives at one time. Prostitution may be partly a result of the attitude in Muslim societies that men can do whatever they want, while women have limited rights.
-The Quran and hadiths teach that it is morally acceptable to force women to have sex with their captors. (Sura 70:29-30, Bukhari 3:432, 436, 5:459, 7:22, 8:600, 9:506.)
-Islam teaches that the majority of people in hell are women. (Bukhari 1:28, 1:301, 2:161)
-Many passages in the Quran exhort Muslims to kill infidels (non-Muslims) wherever they find them. (Suras 2:190-193, 2:216, 4:76, 5:32-36, 8:12-14, 8:39, 8:59, 8:65, 9:5, 9:14, 9:23-29, 9:38-41, 9:123, 47:4, 47:35, 61:4, and 66:9)
-Muslims are taught that those who fight and die in a jihad have their sins forgiven, and they are rewarded with a sensual and luxurious life in paradise. The killing of non-Muslims offers the religions highest rewards. (Suras 3:157-158, 3:169-171, 3:194-195, 4:74, 4:94-97, 22:58-59, 52:17-23, 56:10-38. Also see Bukhari 4:63, 72, 80, 85, 137, 175, 216, 266)

From what I found right there, the Quran encourages Male superiority over Women, and encourages Violence against non-believers. I would say that classifies into the Barbaric category. No, I'm not saying that all Muslims are Barbaric, I'm saying the religion itself is.

There.

amodman
02-06-2006, 04:38 PM
What's the point in having an opinion if you change it every second?

:P

What's the point in an opinion? :p Sorry, but I had to. As my philosophy teacher has said time and time again, opinions are the most useless things in the universe. There's no IQ requirement to have them, no measure of how much knowledge one has to have on a subject before one can make one, and not even a restriction on how much one is allowed to change.

In any case, what is the point of discussion if not to further ideas? Your hope was to get other people to think Muslims are CRAZY and talk about it, my hope was to perhaps change your opinion on the matter. Whether any of that happens or not is in-consequential as long as we have each stated out stances and provided our arguments. Without such, (The arguments, that is < an unfortunate word with multiple meanings) our opinions truly are worthless.

Well, this tangent was rather pointless, wasn't it? Much like opinions ;). On a final note, I'll add the thing people are most reacting to about your statements, Bob, is that you are applying your idea of what Muslim extremists have offered of themselves to every Muslim in existence. You may not actually think that exactly, but it is the basis of this thread. It is, however, an easily defeated idea as we have all met nice Muslims. Like I already said, the people are lost, not crazy. Were we discussing the official actions of the Muslim controlled governments (which can be critiqued as a whole), or simply making a distinction of those extremists only, THEN it might be a different story.

skilltroks
02-06-2006, 04:40 PM
We really need to learn from other religions. We need to love those who are different from us. PS this thread ticks me off..big time.

bob
02-06-2006, 04:42 PM
I'll add the thing people are most reacting to about your statements, Bob, is that you are applying your idea of what Muslim extremists have offered of themselves to every Muslim in existence.

I never said all muslims are crazy, it's just most. It would be like saying all Nazis were evil, it's just not the case, but the whole basis of the Islam faith is violent.

riz
02-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Read my last post.

bob
02-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Wow Greg, I really need to read the Koran one day.

bob
02-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Okay, tell that to some of my friends who are Muslim. I'm sure they'd appreciate you saying that. If you want to play the 'flip-flop' game (sorry, bad word choice, I know), I think it is pretty clear to most people know that not all Christians are 'extremists.' I know there are some people that don't think that, but I hope they realize that that's not the case.

If the faith in it's concept is violent, then I see it foolish to compare the people that follow it in order to defend it.

riz
02-06-2006, 04:51 PM
First off, use "its" when you use it as a possessive; secondly, where on earth did I say that the people I know who are Muslim are violent. Where?

I particularly find it foolish when you contradict yourself and say "all Muslims are extremist" but then say a few posts later that "not all Muslims are "crazy." Which one is it?

bob
02-06-2006, 04:58 PM
First off, use "its" when you use it as a possessive; secondly, where on earth did I say that the people I know who are Muslim are violent. Where?

I particularly find it foolish when you contradict yourself and say "all Muslims are extremist" but then say a few posts later that "not all Muslims are "crazy." Which one is it?

You misquoted me, I never said ALL I said MOST, there is a difference.

bob
02-06-2006, 05:01 PM
all Muslims are extremist but not all Muslims are crazy.

See, I can misquote you too, fun, eh?

john316
02-06-2006, 05:02 PM
I hope there aren't any Muslim visitors on these boards interested in learning more about Jesus.

Alex makes a good point...in fact i was thinking the same thing when i staring reading it. I dont see where this thread is going to go anywhere but downhill so i am going to close it.

Thanks

John

riz
02-06-2006, 05:04 PM
This is getting really childish and inconsequential, but here is a post word-for-word. No doctoring. No, because it seems like every muslim is a freaking extremist.

Let's stop with grammar politics now; I cracked a minute before because I've seen the "its" transgression for the thousandth time this week and it's really ticking me off. I apologize.