petrameansrock
02-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Im sorry to start a thread about such a gruesome topic but Ive been wondering about this for some time now.

First off, if you dont know what this is, I dont want to explain it, so either go look it up, or maybe someone will post it if you ask them.

But my question was...why? From what I understand, female circumcision is excruciatingly painful and can make a woman a target for a whole host of diseases. I know its not a common occurrence, but it does happen in Africa. Is this just one of those ceremonial ritual things? or is it for punishment, or to prevent something, or what? Anyone shed some light on this?

theelectric3
02-09-2006, 11:51 PM
i was not aware that women went through circumcision. i know jewish men did in the old testament... but that's it.

(and please refrain from getting graphic on this thread, or it will be closed. thanks. :) )

skynes
02-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Putting it simply, it happens to stop women enjoying sex. To make them more of a slave.

It happens majoritly in Africa and sometimes among Muslims from what I know.

It is gruesome, it is dangerous and a lot of girls (In africa they do it when they're about 6 or 7) don't survive.

amodman
02-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Putting it simply, it happens to stop women enjoying sex. To make them more of a slave.

It is gruesome, it is dangerous and a lot of girls (In africa they do it when they're about 6 or 7) don't survive.

^^^Now, ask yourself, where is perhaps one of the most Demonic places on Earth? Africa. Tribes over there have literally been summoning demons for hundreds if not thousands of years. It's why the place is such a disgusting mess. But in any case, it's a gruesome practice accepted there and debated in Muslim circles.

bob
02-10-2006, 11:32 AM
It's also used as a punishment in some countries . . .

theelectric3
02-10-2006, 11:49 AM
wow, what a horrible practice...

PinkGoo
02-10-2006, 12:01 PM

That is absolutely awful. Wow. That is really horrible.

skilletgirl
02-10-2006, 01:16 PM
I have seen reports of it on the tv.. its so woman who they believe may have been cheating or they think is to sexually permisqueous to stop them from being that way...

asparagus
02-10-2006, 01:30 PM
But my question was...why? From what I understand, female circumcision is excruciatingly painful and can make a woman a target for a whole host of diseases. I know its not a common occurrence, but it does happen in Africa. Is this just one of those ceremonial ritual things? or is it for punishment, or to prevent something, or what? Anyone shed some light on this?There are several different types of female circumcision that serve to either prevent women from enjoying sex or serve to prevent sex from happening before they are married. This second type of female circumcision is much more surgically invasive and even when successful can lead to later complications that result in death. Female circumcision in the US has only been a practice that has been abandoned in the last 50 years. The UN has catagorized female circumcision into four different categories.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/43/Fgm_map.gif/250px-Fgm_map.gif

amodman
02-10-2006, 01:44 PM
I have seen reports of it on the tv.. its so woman who they believe may have been cheating or they think is to sexually permisqueous to stop them from being that way...

In Muslim societies, perhaps. The more hardcore African ones have it as a requirement for each girl as she "Comes of age." Just like male circumcision (only far different as per what it actually is). We read an excerpt of a diary of a woman from Africa in English class last semester from when it happened to her as a girl. The worst part was the sense of betrayal they give the girls, as her mother came in herself and held her down while a bunch of stange men came in and cut her up. It's disgusting.

unshakeable15
02-11-2006, 02:14 PM
The more hardcore African ones have it as a requirement for each girl as she "Comes of age." Just like male circumcision (only far different as per what it actually is).
i wasn't aware that Jewish men came of age only 8 days after birth.

(you're thinking of the bar mitzvah, which is different.)

korey_cooper_jr
02-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Wow, that is crazy. I feel so sorry for those girls. I couldn't image it happening against my will like that. :(

theelectric3
02-11-2006, 06:14 PM

i remember hearing that when we are 8 days old, our blood clots the fastest. so to make that kind of cut on the body of one that is 8 days old would allow it heal quickly.

amodman
02-11-2006, 06:55 PM

(you're thinking of the bar mitzvah, which is different.)

I wasn't relating the time of cutting as much as the requirement for every child ;). You aren't considered "Jewish" within an othodox society until you are circumcised (in the strange occurence that they wouldn't be), and it is the same for African girls. They are not a part of the society nor have any privileges at all (not that there are many to begin with), until they are "circumcised."

kittygirl
02-11-2006, 07:07 PM
This is SO not necessary. Period.

NightCrawler
02-11-2006, 10:56 PM
i remember hearing that when we are 8 days old, our blood clots the fastest. so to make that kind of cut on the body of one that is 8 days old would allow it heal quickly.
That is one more reason that our God is awesome. Thousands of years later, and this practice makes more sense as to its method.

korey_cooper_jr
02-12-2006, 04:20 AM
That is one more reason that our God is awesome. Thousands of years later, and this practice makes more sense as to its method.

I know what circumcision is and such, and that Jewish people in the bible did it. But why? Was it just an act or a symbol to show that you're Jewish or something? I've never really known.

NightCrawler
02-13-2006, 07:22 AM
Genesis 17

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=1&chapter=17&version=31

unshakeable15
02-14-2006, 03:26 PM
A corrolary to that is setting apart the Jewish people from all the peoples around them. Who else would circumsize their young?

Another reason, probably why God chose this sign of the convenant over others, is cleanliness. (i can't say much more on the boards without getting a bit graphic.)