skilletfreak101
02-17-2006, 10:27 AM
why did the grunge scene die after nirvana? there are so many other great bands out there like silverchair, stone temple pilots, pearl jam...and way more

Isildur9473
02-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Probably because Nirvana was the best. ;)

cinnamonxspider
02-17-2006, 11:07 AM
yeah, grunge DIDN'T really die though...it was around for a little. but i'll have to (reluctantly) agree with greg that nirvana was the best. kurt cobain was the essence of a rock star, and in nirvana starting a "grunge" scene, they helped drag society out of a terrible 80s era of fashion-whores and back-combing. i don't think nirvana is overrated at all. they essentially revolutionized music...i honestly don't know how (probably somewhat in kurt cobain's death), but they definitely did revolutionize 90s music and i think a lot of grunge music could have been inspired by nirvana. okay, now i'm just making no sense. i quit now.

terrasin
02-17-2006, 11:21 AM
I think Nirvana was a great band, however, they wern't nearly as great as people made them out to be. I think the biggest factor in the situation was that Kurt went out while pretty much on top which caused people to become defencive for their music. I don't feel they really achieved the greatness that some people like to think they did. Most people who feel that way probably were too young at the time to even know who they were till they came of an age to understand their music.

CJ

aliensoul_squire20
02-18-2006, 07:48 PM
I made fun of Nirvana back in 8th grade and made an enemy out of one of my best friends for the rest of the year, and we still don'treally like each other.

But, I never really liked them, being Nirvana, so, yeah.

Isildur9473
02-18-2006, 07:58 PM
yeah, grunge DIDN'T really die though...it was around for a little. but i'll have to (reluctantly) agree with greg that nirvana was the best. kurt cobain was the essence of a rock star, and in nirvana starting a "grunge" scene, they helped drag society out of a terrible 80s era of fashion-whores and back-combing. i don't think nirvana is overrated at all. they essentially revolutionized music...i honestly don't know how (probably somewhat in kurt cobain's death), but they definitely did revolutionize 90s music and i think a lot of grunge music could have been inspired by nirvana. okay, now i'm just making no sense. i quit now.

We're not gonna take it.. Come on feel the noise.. Cause I'm Back in Black!

80's glam and hair metal was awesomeness. ;)

skilletfreak101
02-19-2006, 07:01 AM
my question is....why was it nirvana that got all the fame? there were alot of other grunge bands that came out before or around the same time as nirvana did. and all those other bands are more talented then they are. meat puppets came out in the 80s and they got barely any fame...pearl jam's album "Ten" came out the same year as "Nevermind" did..yet compared to nirvana, they weren't remembered as much as they should've been. that's why i say nirvana is overrated, because so many people think that they were the only band that totally changed the form of music...well they weren't....they were just more famous so they got all the glory

Pretendeavor
02-19-2006, 09:37 AM
i do think nirvana did change music in a lil way and the where in my opion only good grunge band and it hink kurt cobains death made them more famous.

Isildur9473
02-19-2006, 10:00 AM
my question is....why was it nirvana that got all the fame? there were alot of other grunge bands that came out before or around the same time as nirvana did. and all those other bands are more talented then they are. meat puppets came out in the 80s and they got barely any fame...pearl jam's album "Ten" came out the same year as "Nevermind" did..yet compared to nirvana, they weren't remembered as much as they should've been. that's why i say nirvana is overrated, because so many people think that they were the only band that totally changed the form of music...well they weren't....they were just more famous so they got all the glory

The Beatles are very untalented when it comes to actually playing instruments, but the fact that they could write songs that so many people enjoyed listening to made them the best selling band ever next to Led Zeppelin.

skilletfreak101
02-19-2006, 11:16 AM
The Beatles are very untalented when it comes to actually playing instruments, but the fact that they could write songs that so many people enjoyed listening to made them the best selling band ever next to Led Zeppelin.
well i disagree with the fact that they were untalented with instruments....i'll admit that the drums weren't that great but george harrison on guitar...he is really good...and they were actually really talented with the fact that they could write so many good songs...and they actually did change the course of rock and roll because they combined symphony with rock. when it comes to nirvana...they are nothing special compared to all the other bands that were out there.

Isildur9473
02-19-2006, 11:36 AM
well i disagree with the fact that they were untalented with instruments....i'll admit that the drums weren't that great but george harrison on guitar...he is really good...and they were actually really talented with the fact that they could write so many good songs...and they actually did change the course of rock and roll because they combined symphony with rock. when it comes to nirvana...they are nothing special compared to all the other bands that were out there.

I agree that the Beatles were revolutionary, and that they wrote a lot of very good songs, I wasn't ragging on them for that, I mean that when they actually play an instrument, it's not that good, or its very simple.

George Harrison was the most talented Beatle, there's no question about that, but if you look at other guitar players of the day, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix they blow him away.

As for Nirvana, they were better than Pearl Jam, or any grunge band that preceeded them. Kurt Cobain wrote more songs that sounded appealing to the average listener. I normally don't like grunge, but I really like Nirvana.

What did Pearl Jam or any other grunge band have that sounded as good as all of 'Nevermind' put together? 'Nevermind' was a great, revolutionary album.

cinnamonxspider
02-19-2006, 02:53 PM
i do think nirvana did change music in a lil way and the where in my opion only good grunge band and it hink kurt cobains death made them more famous.

that's a great point. to answer the question "why was nirvana so much more famous than other bands", i think kurt cobain's death had to do with it a lot. i dunno how, but i guess death has that impact on people.

skilletfreak101
02-19-2006, 07:40 PM
I agree that the Beatles were revolutionary, and that they wrote a lot of very good songs, I wasn't ragging on them for that, I mean that when they actually play an instrument, it's not that good, or its very simple.

George Harrison was the most talented Beatle, there's no question about that, but if you look at other guitar players of the day, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix they blow him away.

As for Nirvana, they were better than Pearl Jam, or any grunge band that preceeded them. Kurt Cobain wrote more songs that sounded appealing to the average listener. I normally don't like grunge, but I really like Nirvana.

What did Pearl Jam or any other grunge band have that sounded as good as all of 'Nevermind' put together? 'Nevermind' was a great, revolutionary album.
don't get me wrong...i do like nirvana...i just don't think they were so amazing as everyone thought they were...but w/e

unshakeable15
02-20-2006, 07:09 PM
that's a great point. to answer the question "why was nirvana so much more famous than other bands", i think kurt cobain's death had to do with it a lot. i dunno how, but i guess death has that impact on people.
not only that, but i think people feel a littl robbed. "just imagine what their next album would have been like. it could have changed my world."

skilletfreak101
02-21-2006, 10:28 AM
not only that, but i think people feel a littl robbed. "just imagine what their next album would have been like. it could have changed my world."
nirvana would've broken up anyway...but kurt cobain was going to form a band with the singer of R.E.M...now that would be awesome