Isildur9473
02-18-2006, 06:36 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while, why pay $200 or $249 for a small iPod with almost no space, when you could save $50 to $100 more and buy one with 7 to 10 times the size of the nano, that has a better battery life, and the ability to play video? I mean, it may take longer but isn't it a much better value..?

pizza brain
02-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Seems like it to me but I don't know much.

disciple
02-18-2006, 06:49 PM
It's the style factor.

People. ::]

as~i~lay~dying
02-18-2006, 07:10 PM
I dont know...my parents baught mine so I really didnt have a choice, but I dont really want to watch videos on mine anyways...

amodman
02-18-2006, 07:29 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while, why pay $200 or $249 for a small iPod with almost no space, when you could save $50 to $100 more and buy one with 7 to 10 times the size of the nano, that has a better battery life, and the ability to play video? I mean, it may take longer but isn't it a much better value..?

It's not almost no space :P. It's like 4gb. The highest capacity flash on the market right now. And there's yer reason, flash capacity, not Hardrive. The 20gb, 30gb, 60gb, and so on players are built with mini-harddrives which are somewhat fragile. Bang them around enough and it's -possible- to extert enough force to destroy the drive somehow. The flash players have flash memory which, while not able to hold as much, are both drastically smaller and much more durable. You can smack that thing around (within reason) all you want and, at least as far as the memory is concrned, it won't be broken.

cloroxmartini
02-18-2006, 08:21 PM
I think I'd just buy a regular iPod and be happy with it.

terrasin
02-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Yah, save the extra $100 and get like 10-14x the space. :\

I never understood the reason behind the Nano. Especially at that price.

CJ

Pretendeavor
02-19-2006, 03:32 AM
reason why for me buying a nano was i dont need my whole music collection with me it holds all my fav songs and with it been flash drive it is more quicker for my music to be on it. reason why i didnt get a video ipod is this. i see no point in videos on the ipod becuase if i want videos id get a portabel dvd player.

Isildur9473
02-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Well those are good reasons I hadn't thought about, Flash memory especially.

drumchick101
02-19-2006, 10:18 AM
I like the smallness, but I'm also kind of stupidly impressed with gadgets for stupid reasons. For instance...the nano looks cool. I don't what I would have bought but my mom bought me a nano for christmas. I like it, even though it's only a 2gb, I don't need all that much space.

><sarah><

Isildur9473
02-19-2006, 10:40 AM
I have the 60 gig video which I use as a portable hard drive and storage for 4 seasons of 24, multiple movies, and my music collection. I guess different people have different needs.

terrasin
02-19-2006, 11:09 AM
You just can't go anywhere without Jack Bauer, can you? :P

CJ

disciple
02-19-2006, 03:18 PM
"Heee's my heeeeroooo." :P

In case he needs a quick 24 fix or is bored and needs some excitement, I guess. :P

Isildur9473
02-19-2006, 03:23 PM
You just can't go anywhere without Jack Bauer, can you? :P

CJ

No, I need constant reminding to the massive degree of pwn that Jack Bauer has over that CJ guy.

Pretendeavor
02-20-2006, 12:57 PM
im instaling linux on my ipod today so itll play videos

TheFireBreathes
02-21-2006, 01:30 PM

Why? Because some people dont want 30,000 songs on their iPod. Some people only want 200 or whatever. thats why. It's not because it 'looks cool' or whoever said that.

skilletfreak101
02-21-2006, 01:40 PM
i want a regular ipod that holds like 7,500 songs

Isildur9473
02-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Why? Because some people dont want 30,000 songs on their iPod. Some people only want 200 or whatever. thats why. It's not because it 'looks cool' or whoever said that.

Well that makes sense also.

cloroxmartini
02-21-2006, 02:57 PM
I can't wait for the iPod that carries 15,000 songs.

Isildur9473
02-21-2006, 04:37 PM
I can't wait for the iPod that carries 15,000 songs.

They have one, it's called the 60 gig.

terrasin
02-21-2006, 05:57 PM
I want a 60gig. :(

CJ

bob
02-21-2006, 06:05 PM

CJ

I have one, it's awesome

But it's a photo. No biggie though.

Isildur9473
02-21-2006, 06:06 PM
I have a 60 gig video, I would recommend it to everyone. I sold my last one to pay for half of it, or else there would be no way I could afford it.

disciple
02-21-2006, 06:40 PM

Who doesn't? :(

skilletfreak101
02-21-2006, 06:47 PM
we should all just save our money and wait for the newest ipod to come out...it should be any time now...hehehe

Isildur9473
02-21-2006, 07:18 PM
we should all just save our money and wait for the newest ipod to come out...it should be any time now...hehehe

There's always going to be a newer iPod, how do we know which one to buy?

amodman
02-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Geez, I already told you guys, the nano is smaller and more durable...essentially, it's the most practical iPod. You can do whatever you want with it, and hell hang it on your neck if you want. Flash works. If you just want more capacity and less durability and what have you, grab an HD player.

(Notice, I myself have and HD player - A Creative Zen Sleek)

cloroxmartini
02-21-2006, 08:12 PM
I rather go with Creative than iPod.

terrasin
02-21-2006, 10:23 PM
I like iPods interface and menu browsing. Personally, I don't care about photos or video. All I want really is something with a LOT of storage that I can plug into my car or take with me without having to drag my cd case around with 350+ cds in it.

CJ

disciple
02-21-2006, 10:28 PM
I wish my lame computer wasn't my music center; I can't fit a lot of music on it (about 30% of my music, probably) and the speakers are on their way out. That's why I wish I had an iPod. Heck, 30 gigs is more than enough.

Isildur9473
02-22-2006, 05:37 AM
I rather go with Creative than iPod.

Why? What makes Creative better?

skilletfreak101
02-22-2006, 12:54 PM
i'll take anything except an ipod shuffle

cloroxmartini
02-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Creative is less expensive.

amodman
02-22-2006, 01:37 PM

What makes iPod better? Nothing. You want comparison, they have the same capabilities, except Creative generally has broader format support (most notably wma for audio, and I know the new Vision supports more video format as well), and usually has longer battery life. Albeit, lack of a clickwheel, but I like the sleek's layout anyway (and the new Vision: M which I was very tempted by, but instead settled on less money...).

I really don't care (other than the wma support, dumb move Apple). I got the cheapest monochrome player on the market I could, which just happened to be a Creative. Though, debatebly, Creatives supposedly have better sound (Surprise surprise, since they're THE sound card company). I don't really have an opinion on that, it varies so much headphone to headphone anyway. Some new philips I got just totally blew away the stock buds...

Also, on a final note, I really wanted a non-Apple product if possible (which wasn't really an option anyway since I didn't want to pay for video/photo or whatever) because I hate, no, I loathe and detest with all my might the program known as iTunes. A piece of garbage IMO. User-friendly my behind. The only thing I'll give it is that every other music library program is pretty much garbage as well. Me? I just quickly hit scan for songs in WMA 10, made sure everything was tagged right (a problem with all the Id3 players...still have some songs I should re-tag), plugged in my zen and selected all the artists I wanted. Hit sync and not minutes later I was done. Player = ready to use, iTunes avoided like the plague...

Isildur9473
02-22-2006, 01:53 PM
What makes iPod better? Nothing. You want comparison, they have the same capabilities, except Creative generally has broader format support (most notably wma for audio, and I know the new Vision supports more video format as well), and usually has longer battery life. Albeit, lack of a clickwheel, but I like the sleek's layout anyway (and the new Vision: M which I was very tempted by, but instead settled on less money...).

Ok

I really don't care (other than the wma support, dumb move Apple). I got the cheapest monochrome player on the market I could, which just happened to be a Creative. Though, debatebly, Creatives supposedly have better sound (Surprise surprise, since they're THE sound card company). I don't really have an opinion on that, it varies so much headphone to headphone anyway. Some new philips I got just totally blew away the stock buds...

You can convert WMA to a format that the iPod will accept.

Also, on a final note, I really wanted a non-Apple product if possible (which wasn't really an option anyway since I didn't want to pay for video/photo or whatever) because I hate, no, I loathe and detest with all my might the program known as iTunes. A piece of garbage IMO. User-friendly my behind. The only thing I'll give it is that every other music library program is pretty much garbage as well. Me? I just quickly hit scan for songs in WMA 10, made sure everything was tagged right (a problem with all the Id3 players...still have some songs I should re-tag), plugged in my zen and selected all the artists I wanted. Hit sync and not minutes later I was done. Player = ready to use, iTunes avoided like the plague...

iTunes and Mac OSX are more user friendly that Windows, you just have to get used to the change.

amodman
02-22-2006, 03:41 PM
You can convert WMA to a format that the iPod will accept.

That's retarded. You should just re-rip music, not convert. You lose quality. And in any case, I already have an extensive amount of songs in wma. I'm in no mood to re-rip or dl. I happen to like wma format just fine. For a lot of music it sounds as fine as a 128kbps mp3 at 64 kbps, and takes up less space. I don't have a mssive hard drive, so I like the extra space saved. But no matter what way you look at it, lack of wma support is dumb (it's the reason iPod doesn't work with subscription services, too, as they use licensed wma's). So what if it's the competition's format? They'd get a helluva lot more sales if it had the support (given, they already dominate the market, but still, it's usually the reason I know people either don't get an iPod or get pissed off when the do get an iPod).

iTunes and Mac OSX are more user friendly that Windows, you just have to get used to the change.

I happen to be quite PC literate, thank you very much (my job is fixing computers for god's sakes). I don't need anyone telling me that I find a program horrible because "I haven't learned to use it." I have learned to use iTunes. I've used it several times and what have you. You can like it all you want, but fact of the matter is it makes so many things needlessly complicated on top of the iPod/iTunes restrictions with # of PC's set to the iPod (yes, I know you can get around this, but why should you have to?). It's idiotic. I don't like it. Use it if you do, whatever, but I'll stand behind the statement that iTunes is not "user-friendly" with the amount of people I know who have had trouble with it and I had to show how to use the program properly. It's problem isn't exactly it's interface (which I'm not a fan of, but that's opinion), but it's simple functionality. Unless they basically re-do the entire frickin' thing, I'll never voluntarily use iTunes...ever.

skilletfreak101
02-22-2006, 06:38 PM
i agree with amodman...itunes is really annoying and it pisses me off. and the whole converting thing is retarted because then you have double files and it takes up way too much space on your computer. anyway...about the Creative...i've never heard of it...is it nice? i want an mp3 player but i don't really want an ipod...i just want an mp3 player soley for music...and i don't want to use GAYtunes

disciple
02-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Did you mean WMP 10? Personally, I think Windows Media Player is gargbage. I love putting it on "shuffle" only to listen to 3-8 songs out of 800 on repeat.

amodman
02-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Did you mean WMP 10? Personally, I think Windows Media Player is gargbage. I love putting it on "shuffle" only to listen to 3-8 songs out of 800 on repeat.

Yes yes, WMP :P. It does what I what I want it to, anyway. Anything dedicated/more complex I've used (Sony's, Apple's, what have you) I just plain can not stand.

Skilletfreak: Creative is a brand, like Apple. They have several mp3 players. Zen Sleek & Touch are their older 20 gb monochrome models (though I believe a Sleek photo came out, maybe?), and the Zen Vision: M is their new 30gb video model (thing kicks serious butt). They also have some lines of Zen Micros and Nanos (HD and flash players respectively) as well as a line of MuVos, also flash players. Just go to their website and look, lol, they've got like a hojillion - http://us.creative.com/welcome.asp .

skilletfreak101
02-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Yes yes, WMP :P. It does what I what I want it to, anyway. Anything dedicated/more complex I've used (Sony's, Apple's, what have you) I just plain can not stand.

Skilletfreak: Creative is a brand, like Apple. They have several mp3 players. Zen Sleek & Touch are their older 20 gb monochrome models (though I believe a Sleek photo came out, maybe?), and the Zen Vision: M is their new 30gb video model (thing kicks serious butt). They also have some lines of Zen Micros and Nanos (HD and flash players respectively) as well as a line of MuVos, also flash players. Just go to their website and look, lol, they've got like a hojillion - http://us.creative.com/welcome.asp .
thanks dude...i think i want that ZEN touch or whatever it's called. it holds a crap load of songs and nothing else...that's what i want...something that just holds alot of music and nothing else.

RKDCfan08
02-23-2006, 02:30 PM
im instaling linux on my ipod today so itll play videos

ok....wow...never knew you could do that...

Pretendeavor
02-24-2006, 07:03 AM
I think Apple did a awsome job on the ipod and itunes. I think itunes has a more cleaner layout than any other media player ive seen. Its easy to edit song tag info and its just easy layout. Now the Ipod is great i think what makes it so great is the click wheel. my friend has a creative zen and i hate how you have to go threw the songs and stuff by keeping movieng your thumb down and start at the top againg with the ipod you move your finger how many times you want arround with out lifting your thumb.

amodman
02-24-2006, 08:40 AM
I think Apple did a awsome job on the ipod and itunes. I think itunes has a more cleaner layout than any other media player ive seen. Its easy to edit song tag info and its just easy layout. Now the Ipod is great i think what makes it so great is the click wheel. my friend has a creative zen and i hate how you have to go threw the songs and stuff by keeping movieng your thumb down and start at the top againg with the ipod you move your finger how many times you want arround with out lifting your thumb.

Depends on which model he's got. The newer ones you can just hold the end of the strip and it just goes. I like the clickwheel too, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it has gotten annoying at times, same with the strip. They both have their ups and downs, but I honestly couldn't care less. They both work just find and it's just the bloody interface, lol. Not something I generally go on about for any product unless it's exceedingly horrible/annoying/a gift from god.

edit: Though, on the topic, while I think the Nano is the best flash on the market right now (that I know of), I do think that's one player Apple mayhap should have tried a different tack than the clickwheel ;). I mean, seriously, iiidddyy biddy circles can get really annoying, lol.

skilletfreak101
02-24-2006, 10:21 AM
i kinda have a problem with all these new age mp3 players...i mean they are awesome...but like the whole click wheel and just all the weird or crazy buttons that they have....it seems like they would all wear out after a while. i honestly have no problem with just normal buttons...hehe.

Switchblade
02-24-2006, 10:40 AM
i have an old mp3 player, and it weighs about 2 pounds. it's terrible. not quite as portable as the newer ones out now. But i really don't use i that much anymore anyway. My question is, what's wrong with CDs?

skilletfreak101
02-24-2006, 12:23 PM
i have an old mp3 player, and it weighs about 2 pounds. it's terrible. not quite as portable as the newer ones out now. But i really don't use i that much anymore anyway. My question is, what's wrong with CDs?
there's nothin wrong with them. if i ever got an mp3 player, i would still buy cd's. i just want an mp3 player for like traveling and stuff

Pretendeavor
02-24-2006, 12:29 PM
when your out on road trip or joging and wanting to here some tunes its more easy to browser than to look threw all your cds and puting them in.

cloroxmartini
02-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Yeah. That's right.

unshakeable15
02-25-2006, 07:04 PM
I think Apple did a awsome job on the ipod and itunes. I think itunes has a more cleaner layout than any other media player ive seen. Its easy to edit song tag info and its just easy layout.
really? i still haven't figured out how to consistently edit song tags. sometimes i end up playing the song, other times it lets me edit it. but it's one of the more annoying features of iTunes for me.

skilletfreak101
10-01-2006, 07:03 PM
i just got a 30 gig ipod today. it's pretty stinking sweet. i already have 1150 songs on it 8-)

skillet0772002
10-03-2006, 05:07 AM
ahh the good old debate the ipod. well i have only one problem with apple, the ipod's harddrives just don't cut it. i owned a 20 gig ipod photo i used it for everything, transfering files, music (obviously), and my photo's. i used it all the time i loved how everything worked until the HD just locked up just 6 and a half months after i bought it. all of a sudden i had no ipod 400 bucks down the drain. but i stood to argue that maybe this was just a coincidence, or maybe i was working it to hard. so i went and bought a 30 gig ipod video, i only used it for music and updated it only when i got new music. guess what it died about 6 and a half months later. so now i'm right steamed cuz warranty was just out both times! so i had a choice to make buy some other brand name hard drive player or screw hd and go with flash memory. so i made the choice i like apple and all the other things they've made so i bought my 4gb nano. Man this thing transfers songs so much quicker, and i know it doesnt hold as much and i could easily fill a 40 gig ipod with my tunes but i only put the most listened to songs on there and it works just fine but the real test is will it last... i don't know. maybe this thing will crap out after six months; time will tell but i guess i'm still kinda fond of apple regardless.

skilletfreak101
10-05-2006, 05:15 PM
ahh the good old debate the ipod. well i have only one problem with apple, the ipod's harddrives just don't cut it. i owned a 20 gig ipod photo i used it for everything, transfering files, music (obviously), and my photo's. i used it all the time i loved how everything worked until the HD just locked up just 6 and a half months after i bought it. all of a sudden i had no ipod 400 bucks down the drain. but i stood to argue that maybe this was just a coincidence, or maybe i was working it to hard. so i went and bought a 30 gig ipod video, i only used it for music and updated it only when i got new music. guess what it died about 6 and a half months later. so now i'm right steamed cuz warranty was just out both times! so i had a choice to make buy some other brand name hard drive player or screw hd and go with flash memory. so i made the choice i like apple and all the other things they've made so i bought my 4gb nano. Man this thing transfers songs so much quicker, and i know it doesnt hold as much and i could easily fill a 40 gig ipod with my tunes but i only put the most listened to songs on there and it works just fine but the real test is will it last... i don't know. maybe this thing will crap out after six months; time will tell but i guess i'm still kinda fond of apple regardless.
dang...i hope mine lasts more than 6 months :-(

Shattered_Life
11-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Well, I have a nano, and personally I wouldn't consider getting anything "bigger." I don't even know 30,000 songs or whatever it can hold, I don't watch movies on it...no podcasts. Solely music. I haven't even used half my memory because I just take songs off and "restock" every couple weeks.

But honestly...I think for the price we pay for the things they should GIVE us some iTunes credit or something. I can't afford to keep doing this! :P

Undomiel
11-03-2006, 04:40 PM
i wish my mom would let me get a nano ipod.........

skilletfreak101
11-06-2006, 08:01 AM
Well, I have a nano, and personally I wouldn't consider getting anything "bigger." I don't even know 30,000 songs or whatever it can hold, I don't watch movies on it...no podcasts. Solely music. I haven't even used half my memory because I just take songs off and "restock" every couple weeks.

But honestly...I think for the price we pay for the things they should GIVE us some iTunes credit or something. I can't afford to keep doing this! :P
well then it's probably just me...but i just want to always have my whole music collection on me all the time...and that's why i got a 30 gig because it will take a long time for that thing to run out of space and i can just keep adding stuff to it.

Shattered_Life
11-06-2006, 08:39 AM
^I understand where you're coming from...I guess it's all just a personal opinion on what gb. to choose.

alienyouth9292
11-06-2006, 01:12 PM
i got a nano for my birthday and i like it. i dont listen to it much cuz i can just hop on my laptop and listen to songs and do other things. they're still cool, though.

breakthesilence
11-06-2006, 03:38 PM
how do you install linux on an iPod?

i have a 20 gig and i use it for everything. aside from music (it was a grand improvement from carrying my cd binder in my backpack nearly every day & going between houses), i used it as a jump drive for school stuff & also as a back up of my files, and where you can put notes, i put the bible so i have the bible on my ipod (although the amount of memory allotted to it isn't enough to display the whole thing at once but i had the new testament, the first 5 OT books, psalms, proverbs, and whatever other books i felt like at the time), and now i have a voice recorder attachment so i use that for lectures sometimes. so i get my money's worth. i've had it for 2 years with no problems.
one thing i didn't like about itunes is you can't transfer songs from an ipod onto a computer. at least not easily. but i have a different program that lets you do that so it's great.

alienyouth9292
11-12-2006, 05:04 PM
the only things that bug me about my 4gb nano is that eventually the battery will die and i'm screwed. the battery life is not that great. maybe mine is messed up somehow, but i had to charge it up after listening to it for less than 3 hours!!!! can u belive that??

terrasin
11-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Like cellphones, I'm sure the battery came with a minimal charge.

CJ

alien_youth2005
11-13-2006, 04:47 PM
I dont even know how to use an ipod.

skilletfreak101
11-13-2006, 05:16 PM
I dont even know how to use an ipod.
sad.

Shattered_Life
11-20-2006, 02:00 PM
^I agree! ^^ should check it out. I can't survive without mine now.

skilletfreak101
11-20-2006, 02:05 PM
^I agree! ^^ should check it out. I can't survive without mine now.
amen. i would be lost without mine

skilltroks
11-20-2006, 04:21 PM
I got an IPod-30GB for my birthday last Friday. It's really nice having all my music in one place/player.

skilletfreak101
11-21-2006, 12:47 PM
I got an IPod-30GB for my birthday last Friday. It's really nice having all my music in one place/player.
sweeet man! that's what i have

alienyouth9292
11-21-2006, 01:56 PM
i have a 4gb nano. i like it- one problem- it seems like my battery goes down extremely fast.

fifi la bomba
11-21-2006, 02:35 PM
my brother got the biggest ipod they manufacture, a matching digital camera and a razor phone... marines brat. i'd better get a good Christmas present, that's all i have to say;D

Shattered_Life
11-26-2006, 03:49 PM
My brother washed his because he left it in his pants...uhh yeah. So he bought one of the new "remastered" nano's that have like triple battery life and a brighter screen. W00t.

/sarcasm

skilletfreak101
11-26-2006, 04:55 PM
My brother washed his because he left it in his pants...uhh yeah. So he bought one of the new "remastered" nano's that have like triple battery life and a brighter screen. W00t.

/sarcasm
triple battery life? thats pretty cool. i dont really care about the brighter screen

bobbi
11-27-2006, 03:44 PM
I just got the bright green nano for my birthday on Wednesday. It's so great! I love not having to switch cds all the time.

BarlowgIRL
01-03-2007, 02:01 PM
I have a hot pink one! It's 4 gig

iangirl180
01-03-2007, 03:50 PM
mine is a 2gb...i know it's small but i like it allot

Quadripedman
01-03-2007, 05:50 PM
i got a 4 gig ipod for christmas, and i think that it was only like 200$ or something. but you have to remember the easy to use wheel, and menues and stuff. plus, 4 gigs for 200$ is pretty good, i think.

skilletfreak101
01-03-2007, 07:09 PM
i got a 4 gig ipod for christmas, and i think that it was only like 200$ or something. but you have to remember the easy to use wheel, and menues and stuff. plus, 4 gigs for 200$ is pretty good, i think.
it's actually a really bad deal because for just $50 more, you could get 26 more gigs.

unshakeable15
01-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Or you could look at it and say "Wow! For only $50 extra, he got twice as much as the 2G Nano!"

dawn of light
01-23-2007, 06:32 PM
I just got a 4G nano. It's great, listening to music while I walk from class to class makes me happy. It's full already though. Only holds 839 songs. So as I keep getting new music I'll have to take old stuff off...

forceflow17
01-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Black or white iPod?

timmyrotter
01-27-2007, 03:22 PM
black 30gb video. i just watched a thing on the ipod on discovery cahnnel

forceflow17
01-27-2007, 03:25 PM
thank you. i just bought one yesterday

timmyrotter
01-27-2007, 03:29 PM
one, what kind?