skilletfreak101
02-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Now there's an amazing grunge band...you should all check them out because they blow nirvana away!!!

PinkGoo
02-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Sorry, Nirvana can't be blown away. At least not by any other grunge band.

Isildur9473
02-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Now there's an amazing grunge band...you should all check them out because they blow nirvana away!!!

No, they really don't. Sorry.

terrasin
02-21-2006, 05:57 PM
Are they even still together? :|

CJ

skilletfreak101
02-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Are they even still together? :|

CJ
oh of course they are...infact they have a new cd coming out this year

skilletfreak101
02-21-2006, 06:45 PM
No, they really don't. Sorry.
well i guess we all have our opinions...but frogstomp(silverchair's first cd) came out in 95, and they were 15 year olds at the time...and the cd was amazing. it was just as good as anything nirvana has ever put out...that tells me somethin....

Isildur9473
02-21-2006, 07:31 PM
well i guess we all have our opinions...but frogstomp(silverchair's first cd) came out in 95, and they were 15 year olds at the time...and the cd was amazing. it was just as good as anything nirvana has ever put out...that tells me somethin....

So, I listened to 30-second samples from all of those on Amazon, and umm.. Nirvana's better. David Grohl can actually drum which is definitely a plus, and Kurt Cobain has a somewhat decent voice.

cinnamonxspider
02-21-2006, 07:58 PM
i don't know anything about grunge, so i don't really know who's better, but i have to say that i do love silverchair. i mean, i don't own any of their cds, but they are a favorite band of a friend of mine, so we always listen to them in her car. i thoroughly enjoy them. i don't really enjoy how the lead singer is a total woman, though (now don't guilt trip me about his old eating disorder, blah, blah, blah...i know. he's still a total woman).

Spiffles
02-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Silverchair are as much grunge as Skillet.. i would only call Silverchairs first 2 albums, frogstomp, and Freakshow grunge, the rest i dont think are close to grunge.

I agree with Skilletfreak though in that Frogstomp was great.. it totally rocked out.. the rest up to but not including diorama were not that good, but Diorama i really liked a lot..

As for them being broken up.... I dont think they "officially" broke up.. they just focuses on their other projects.. Daniel Johns is in another band that was successful (at least here in australia, where they had a couple of hit songs), the drummer is in another local band (i live in Necastle were they live and have seen him in that band), not sure what the bass dude is doing at moment though...
They might be doing another record.. havent heard anything around town, not that that means much, lol.

I have to disagree on the comment about the silverchair drummer being no good...
He is increadible drummer that pulls off some really cool things that i hardly ever hear from other bands, plus he is unique/original with his own style, which is refreshing in the age of everyone does what everyone else is doing to be popular.

I also find it hard to compare them to Nirvana due to a number of reasons.. two different bands, one that didnt survive due to their lead singer killing himself, and another still successful today due to them adadpting to different things throughout their careers and not being stuck down into 1 style.. Culture also has an influence.. Aussie bands and American bands have different musical influences which have a big factor on their own music making aussies and americans different in regards to music

skilletfreak101
02-22-2006, 06:48 AM
So, I listened to 30-second samples from all of those on Amazon, and umm.. Nirvana's better. David Grohl can actually drum which is definitely a plus, and Kurt Cobain has a somewhat decent voice.
30 second clips????? wow...that's really giving them a chance.

Isildur9473
02-22-2006, 01:58 PM
30 second clips????? wow...that's really giving them a chance.

I've heard plenty of their songs in full length, plus 30 second samples of each song on the Frogstomp album. The guy is not as good at singing as Kurt Cobain and the drummer couldn't drum half as well as David Grohl.

The songs also don't have riffs half as good as Nirvana does. Nirvana also has the record sales, and a legendary status behind them. When this band dies, they will not be remembered like Nirvana was. Why? Beacuse they're not as good. :\

skilletfreak101
02-22-2006, 03:06 PM
I've heard plenty of their songs in full length, plus 30 second samples of each song on the Frogstomp album. The guy is not as good at singing as Kurt Cobain and the drummer couldn't drum half as well as David Grohl.

The songs also don't have riffs half as good as Nirvana does. Nirvana also has the record sales, and a legendary status behind them. When this band dies, they will not be remembered like Nirvana was. Why? Beacuse they're not as good. :\
also remember that this band is from australia...in australia they are one of the biggest bands there. and as for drumming i do agree that david grohl plays better...but as for everything else...you're weird...hahaha jk.

cinnamonxspider
02-22-2006, 08:18 PM
okay, like i said, i don't know much about silverchair or nirvana for that matter, but i do have a nirvana cd...if that helps. anyhow, if i were to compare them, i don't know anything about music, but i think i like silverchair's lyrics a lot better than nirvana's (and as i mentioned in a previous post, i haven't even heard much silverchair). but maybe i just need to hear more nirvana or something.

skilletfreak101
02-23-2006, 01:44 PM
okay, like i said, i don't know much about silverchair or nirvana for that matter, but i do have a nirvana cd...if that helps. anyhow, if i were to compare them, i don't know anything about music, but i think i like silverchair's lyrics a lot better than nirvana's (and as i mentioned in a previous post, i haven't even heard much silverchair). but maybe i just need to hear more nirvana or something.
that's cool. For me, i used to own every nirvana cd, and they used to be my favorite band. Now i have almost every silverchair cd, and they are my favorite band. So when I compare the 2 bands, don't think that i'm ignorant of them because i know alot about both of them. After listening to all of the nirvana i used to have and now all the silverchair i have, i find silverchair more enjoyable to listen to and I personally think that they have more talent than them. so like i said, what i say isn't out of ignorance.

cinnamonxspider
03-08-2006, 04:59 PM
okay, so now that i have all the silverchair cds well listened to, i'd have to say that i REALLY like them...all their albums are so different. i do not wish to compare them to nirvana, as i have only heard nevermind...but i think that neon ballroom has some of my fav songs on it. emotion sickness is just an incredible song...the orchestration in it is so well done.

skilletfreak101
03-09-2006, 06:52 AM
okay, so now that i have all the silverchair cds well listened to, i'd have to say that i REALLY like them...all their albums are so different. i do not wish to compare them to nirvana, as i have only heard nevermind...but i think that neon ballroom has some of my fav songs on it. emotion sickness is just an incredible song...the orchestration in it is so well done.
yes emotion sickness is a great song. have you heard their newest cd, Diorama? if you like emotion sickness and the style of that song...then you will love diorama

cinnamonxspider
03-09-2006, 11:10 AM
yeah i have diorama on my computer...i never really know what album i'm listening to, i just kind of listen to all of them at once type thing.

skilletfreak101
03-09-2006, 06:10 PM
yeah i have diorama on my computer...i never really know what album i'm listening to, i just kind of listen to all of them at once type thing.
that's cool. but yeah i think diorama should go down in history because it's some of the most amazing music i've ever heard...they are such creative music writers