Isildur9473
02-22-2006, 02:27 PM
You know what this world needs more of? I'm sure you're thinking things like peace, love of fellow man, stuff like that, but it's really more simple than that. We need more of one person. Oprah Winfrey.

I'm watching Opera right now, she just gave a bunch of families that lost their homes in Hurricane Katrina new homes completely deckced out with all kinds of stuff that was probably donated by companies to make them feel more self-righteous, but that's beside the point. It's the action that counts, not the thought behind it.

Oprah once gave everyone in her audience a brand new Pontiac. How many people can you think of that just hand out free Pontiacs like their candy? I certainly don't know any except for Oprah.

That loser Martha Stewart has her own magazine, oooooh good for her. Look at Oprah's magazine, if you opened a dictionary and looked up 'Awesome magazine' you would find the 'O' magazine. How many magazines have that cool of a name?

For those of you who are completely ignorant as to what really matters, here is some basic history of Oprah Winfrey courtesy of our friends at Wikipedia: Clicky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oprah)

So, I know that if I want to leave anything behind on this world, I want to do it Oprah style. You should too.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/Oprahfirst.jpg

Keep on making the world a better place Oprah.

TheFireBreathes
02-22-2006, 02:29 PM
Yeah true. Maybe there are a lot of those people out there like her but no one heres about them?

cinnamonxspider
02-22-2006, 02:29 PM
i wonder how long it'll take before this thread gets totally off-topic and locked.

Isildur9473
02-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Yeah true. Maybe there are a lot of those people out there like her but no one heres about them?

I've thought about that, but how many talk-show hosts can you think of that are like that? There's Maury and Montel, but they only deal with the dregs of society, and they don't give them anything, they just exploit them.

Hmm, anyone know of anyone remotely as awesome as Oprah?

TheFireBreathes
02-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Youre right. I dont know of many celebs that are that generous. But my parents are good friends with a lot of upperclass people who do give and donate to the poor a lot.

cinnamonxspider
02-22-2006, 02:36 PM
i would say something like angelina jolie, but i'll bet you anything that greg's got either:
a.) insider information on angelina jolie that proves she's really NOT that great (i mean, greg knows everything, right?), or
b.) a simple wisecrack that will just make me look incredibly stupid for ever bringing this up.

TheFireBreathes
02-22-2006, 02:38 PM
No need to be a smart butt.

But yes, Angelina is pretty good with that. And actually I would say mucho celebs do donate to the poor, but I dont know of any of them that give free cars to American citizens...If that is what your trying to prove Greg.

Isildur9473
02-22-2006, 03:02 PM
i would say something like angelina jolie, but i'll bet you anything that greg's got either:
a.) insider information on angelina jolie that proves she's really NOT that great (i mean, greg knows everything, right?), or
b.) a simple wisecrack that will just make me look incredibly stupid for ever bringing this up.

*Wisecrack to make you look stupid*

According to Wikipedia, Jolie is quite active in helping people around the world, especially in Asia. She adopted a boy from Cambodia, and she donated $500,000 to the National Center for Refugee and Immigrant Children in Washington, D.C.

disciple
02-22-2006, 03:10 PM
I wish Bill Gates were as charitable as he pretends to be.

Like, giving me money would make him charitable, cha.

[/sarcasm]

I actually like this thread's idea. Yes, Angelina Jolie is quite charitable, as is Oprah. I tend to think that that Pontiac thing was more of a publicity stunt or something of the like to get people to like her more, but it wasn't an unkind or selfish thing to do, really. I'm just pessimistic. >.<

korey_cooper_jr
02-22-2006, 04:16 PM
I tip my hat to her because of how she made it to being the first black woman to have her own show. She made it from scratch. She's awesome.

Isildur9473
02-22-2006, 05:15 PM
See.. It's impossible to think of a bad thing about Oprah Winfrey, because there aren't any.

skelfy
02-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Ellen DeGeneres had a lady on her show sitting in a special seat, and it was Firewall (the movie) promotion day, so they gave away the car used in Firewall. The lady came from New Orleans, and had lost a lot, and was driving a truck, so they gave her a new car. I thought it was neat.

terrasin
02-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Yah, Oprah does a lot of great things for a lot of people. We really do need more people with her attitude in this world.

/I will be her guest on her show someday.

CJ

amodman
02-22-2006, 08:06 PM
'O' magazine, eh? Isn't that the one with the same person on every freaking cover? I guess she spent too much money donations to afford models n' such ;).

newday_7
02-23-2006, 08:07 PM
You know what i never got? How when the hurricane came so many people were wanting to send money and help and everything, even in Canada, yet everyday in the world somewhere there are worse things happening to countries who can't even come close to helping themselves as much as the States can, like it's one of the wealthiest nations in the world, and up there with the best in pretty much everything.

Isildur9473
02-23-2006, 08:12 PM
You know what i never got? How when the hurricane came so many people were wanting to send money and help and everything, even in Canada, yet everyday in the world somewhere there are worse things happening to countries who can't even come close to helping themselves as much as the States can, like it's one of the wealthiest nations in the world, and up there with the best in pretty much everything.

Even though we should be morally correct, it's not up to the Federal Government to respond to crisis's in other countries, the more foreign affairs we stay clear of the better.

newday_7
02-23-2006, 08:22 PM
oh yeah i know but even just the people of the united states could survive better than the other people and the government of the States could take care of it's country better. I'm not saying poeple shouldn't have helped them or anything cause helping is always good, i just never got why so much people were tyring to do so much for them and not for the people who can't help themselves as much.

unshakeable15
02-23-2006, 10:08 PM
I wish Bill Gates were as charitable as he pretends to be.

Like, giving me money would make him charitable, cha.

[/sarcasm]
i almost responded to this. then i realized the sarcasm tag was closed.

Greg, one think i have to ask you about this thread.

why the old Oprah picture? she's looking much better and much healthier now than back in the '80s/'90s when that was taken!

disciple
02-23-2006, 11:14 PM
i almost responded to this. then i realized the sarcasm tag was closed.

Greg, one think i have to ask you about this thread.

why the old Oprah picture? she's looking much better and much healthier now than back in the '80s/'90s when that was taken!
Yeah, I had to put it in there, because I wanted to make sure people knew of the not-so-obvious sarcasm. Even though I wanted to remove the tag because I thought "cha" would make it obvious enough (I don't use that utterance), I kept it out of honesty.

I dunno, he's probably just lazy. ;)

terrasin
02-23-2006, 11:22 PM
oh yeah i know but even just the people of the united states could survive better than the other people and the government of the States could take care of it's country better. I'm not saying poeple shouldn't have helped them or anything cause helping is always good, i just never got why so much people were tyring to do so much for them and not for the people who can't help themselves as much.
First off, our government holds the largest debt in the world, and with everything going on right now, the war, the money spent on natural disasters including the tsunami, earthquake, and hurricanes from as long as 3 years ago, there isn't much else to spare. This isn't including the money given to several charities the US supplies to. But this ties in with a lot of other beliefs I have concerning dealing with anything international. We need to make sure our home is helped first. Things like Welfare programs need reformed so that people who honestly need it (not those scamming it to get out of working) have enough to support themselves till they get on their feet.

Secondly, there are a lot of people in this country who do donate money to people who need it. Sure, a lot of people I'm sure don't. But you will find that the majority of people who are making a more than confortable amount of money have some org. they donate to.

CJ

newday_7
02-24-2006, 09:54 PM
yeah i think it's important that you guys take care of your own home but that's what i'm talking about, like the people and citizens of the states could all pitch in and between everyone of the country they could survive better than some others, heh i'm from Canada and my social teacher mentioned this, how so much more people she knew gave so much more to the states and made it seem like such a bigger deal and like they needed soo much more help, while all the other less capable countries go un noticed by them. Like i said before there's nothing wrong with sending help to the people of the states, cause they desereve help just as much as anyone if something goes wrong but yeah.. do you kinda understand what i'm saying?