skelfy
02-22-2006, 04:16 PM
I just wanted to note how proud I am of myself for going down several sizes in the past 1/2 a year. It's a big step forward. It's not impossible to become healthier.

One thing that annoyed me today was when some girl was complaining to another girl about how she couldn't fit into size 0's anymore; now she can't fit into 2's. I rolled my eyes but then I realized it wasn't too weird for her to complain; she's very short, so proportion wise, I can see where she's coming from.

So yeah...dairy products are good for you kids.

I hope this thread doesn't get locked, talk about how you see yourself and health-nut related stuff, but don't be so critical of yourself that you get it locked.

as~i~lay~dying
02-22-2006, 04:52 PM
God job Morgan! *pats on back* That's really cool...there's this girl in my class who's givin up sugar(excpet natural) for more than 100 days and excerices sometimes and has lost like soooo much weight in a significantly short amount of time~ I am maybe thinking about doing soemthing like that too shed off the few extra pounds I put on since school started~

anywho...remember that our body is the TEMPLE, the dwelling place of the God, we are to keep it healthy for Him and the work he might have for us! =)

skelfy
02-22-2006, 05:04 PM
I just started trading in half a box of Cheezits or whatnot every afternoon for a cup (literally) of nonfat yogurt. That's actually a lot, but with no fat and calcium, it's really good for you.

Just don't eat too little, your body will go into body-saving mode.

korey_cooper_jr
02-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Just don't eat too little, your body will go into body-saving mode.

"Body-saving mode"? What do you mean?

sky_flashings
02-22-2006, 05:09 PM
I need to start doing that, I think. My body is starting to get to that point where I have to watch what I eat or else I'm likely to gain much weight. Not only that, but I don't always eat so healthy anyway, so it would be good to start eating something that wasn't processed.

skelfy
02-22-2006, 05:15 PM
"Body-saving mode"? What do you mean?

Sometimes people cut their calories way too low (say 500) and your body thinks that you're in survival mode, because you're literally starving. It saves up calories and so you might not see weight loss (at least not right away). That's when people get to the point where they cut out a lot, and eat just a tiny bit. You don't have to eat absolutely nothing to be anorexic. Some people go on 100 calorie diets or 'Only Diet Soda' diets. That's still extremely unhealthy...yeah, you'll lose weight eventually, and drastically, but your bones can become brittle in the long run. If someone keeps it up, you can waste away, and get cachexia, when your muscles eat themselves away. Or lanugo, when hair grows on your skin. You know you're eating too little when that happens.

I didn't mean for it to be that long.

disciple
02-22-2006, 05:30 PM
I wish I could do that (lose some of that round-age). Actually, no matter how self-conscious I am, I feel comfortable being as chunky as I am.

When I tried working out and staying fit as a teenager (13-16), it didn't work. I'd work out until I was sore 24/7, and I'd eat only healthy foods, but I never lost a pound. My metabolism is pretty low like that, or it was, or something. Now my weight fluctuates every so often, but I'm comfortable with how unattractive my body is. :P

Major kudos to you for succeeding, though. :)

aliengurl7
02-22-2006, 10:13 PM
I think all of us are a little bit disatisfied with one thing or another. I think its normal since no one's perfect but Its not healthy to dwell on the negative. Cool that your happy with yourself.

amodman
02-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Weight loss?! What is this you speak of!

skynes
02-23-2006, 02:17 AM
Laura likes my cuddliness.

Everyone else calls it flab... but to her tis cuddly.

Heavy dieting has another major problem.
after you come out of energy save mode, your body will start tripling the energy stores for a future foot cut. So you end up putting ON weight, not taking it off.

weebird20
02-23-2006, 02:57 AM
it is NOT flab....and i do like your cuddliness...tis great for hugs!

eating healthier and doing exercise is great...though i wouldn't diet myself cus well i see it as only a short term fix (and i probly love my chocy too much) i prefer trampoline classes and drinking lotsa water..that seems to keep me at a reasonable weight...so alls guuuuuuud :D

Aragornsgirl217
02-23-2006, 05:18 AM
I've found the best thing to do to lose weight(especially on your thighs and rear), is to power walk, once a day, all week. Mom and I were doing that with Julie before she went and got Ben, and in one week, I noticed such a difference, I was already fitting into my pants better! I was so happy!! And swimming too...

riz
02-23-2006, 08:20 AM
Exericising should be a part of one's daily regime throughout life and not just for a set three weeks of 'weight-conscious' worrying.

I personally cut out all my soda intake and found that to be a nice healthy alternative. Water and juice taste better anyway.

theelectric3
02-23-2006, 11:36 AM
i have found that to be nice as well... i cut out sodas a few years ago and don't miss it. sometimes, if soda is the only thing to drink at a party or something i'll have a little, but i taste all the sugar and it fills me up right away... so my body is used to not having it. and feels much better when i don't drink it.

and i agree that i think we (especially americans) need to incorporate healthy foods and exercise as a daily part of our lives. for the purpose of being healthy... not just so we can fit into a certain pant size or something.

(not saying that is people's motives on here... just throwing that out.)

congratulations morgan on going the healthier route and seeing results! :)

bob
02-23-2006, 11:46 AM
I try exercising as much as I can but the fact is i'm usually lazy. I'd eat healthy, but again, lazy, and fat tastes good. I know how to do it, it's just the willing part. I guess i'm one of those people that will gain 200 pounds before freaking out about his weight. :lick: But never the less, congratulations Morgan. :)

morgojw
02-23-2006, 12:05 PM
I've found the best thing to do to lose weight(especially on your thighs and rear), is to power walk, once a day, all week. Mom and I were doing that with Julie before she went and got Ben, and in one week, I noticed such a difference, I was already fitting into my pants better! I was so happy!! And swimming too...

what exactly is a power walk? I walk frequently but I do it more for fun than anything else

skelfy
02-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm not done yet, not by a longshot, but it's a big improvement. I had to realize it was for life, changing my eating patterns for the better. Instead of binging on junk food I can eat a reasonable amount of [healthy food].

Tracy, I agree with the fact that Americans in general need to be healthier. I had people telling me I didn't need to lose weight, but I still did.

I just can't stand it when people who are significantly overweight think it's okay to be that way...because if you are 350 lbs and 5'3"...well...that's a lot for your heart.

skelfy
02-23-2006, 12:06 PM
what exactly is a power walk? I walk frequently but I do it more for fun than anything else

It's walking briskly with weights or pumping your arms. Cardio is a good thing to do. Even cardio three times a week is healthy for you.

morgojw
02-24-2006, 12:14 PM
so it's mainly to work your arms and legs then..

unshakeable15
02-25-2006, 07:00 PM
it also burns more calories than plain walking. so it helps you work off the fat and flab that you've built up.

lamb_servant72
02-26-2006, 02:43 AM
Thanks for starting this, Morgan. I could use some encouragement in this area, as well.

I was on medication for about 16 months and gained almost 40 pounds (I went up 4 sizes). I thought going off of the medication would cause the weight to start dropping off. I've been off for almost two months and I'm still gaining. I think my body has changed the way it processes certain foods because of the meds, and I don't know if that's going to change.

It has been hard on my knees and back, so I'd like to get some of the weight off. I speed walk at the river (sand, hills...a good work-out), and I do aerobics and weight train. But, eating right consistently is hard for me. I do well for a couple of days, but then I start craving something bad! "Yeah, go ahead and Super Size that, and throw some extra cheese on that burger!"

lamb_servant72
07-20-2006, 06:18 AM
I wanted to see how everyone was doing on this.

I've lost 10 lbs, but the problems with my knees seem to be getting worse. (I have to do alot of "squats" [I can't just bend over!] to pick up library books, deliver books, and deliver legal correspondance supplies to inmates - everything is slid under their doors - and this is really giving my knees a beating!)

I just ordered Nutrisystem from ebay and started this morning. I can honestly say those were the worst eggs I have ever tasted in my life. I should have been suspicious with so many people auctioning off the food!

terrasin
07-20-2006, 07:30 AM
http://www.totalgymdirect.com/images/chucknorris.jpg
Chuck Norris says you should buy a Total Gym... or else. >=]

CJ

skelfy
07-20-2006, 07:48 AM
I wanted to see how everyone was doing on this.

I've lost 10 lbs, but the problems with my knees seem to be getting worse.

Congratulations!

Have you talked to your doctor about this? Maybe if you stretch before and after exercise it might help. Also, when doing exercises, activate your stomach (core) and it will help take some stress off your back, and maybe your knees.

Haha @ Chuck Norris.

lamb_servant72
07-20-2006, 08:27 AM
*munching nutrisystem fettuccini alfredo with vegetables and mushrooms...that tastes like cardboard*

Thanks for the encouragement, Morgan. Those are great suggestions. I probably don't stretch enough. I never knew that activating your stomach muscle could take stress off of other areas of your body.

I actually have been looking at a Total Gym on ebay! My brother-in-law has one and he really likes it.

Plus, Chuck Norris vouches for them, and since he is so da bomb, they have to be good, right?

disciple
07-20-2006, 10:31 AM
http://www.totalgymdirect.com/images/chucknorris.jpg
Chuck Norris says you should buy a Total Gym... or else. >=]

CJ
OMGBBQLOLZ0RZ3Z

I don't have a scale, so I dunno how I'm doing. :D All I know is I exercise... and I think I'm getting thinner. :D Ah, heck, I am, but it's always a steady process. It took me a few days to get back into a habitual mindset for exercise, but I've got it there. I increase how much I do on the occasion that I feel I'm ready, but soon that won't matter much.

I had to remember that my mindset plays a big part in losing weight; if I keep thinking, "OMG IM SOOOOO FAT *t3h teerz*" then I'll stay that way, but if I focus on the idea that I'm losing weight with each go of exercise, if I think I'm getting better, then my body will 'agree'.

terrasin
07-20-2006, 08:16 PM
I really like the Total Gym. I'm looking at getting one, maybe this winter. Used it before and it works really well.

CJ

dawn of light
07-21-2006, 07:32 AM
I'm not focusing on what the scale says as I'm a healthy size but I would like to lose the "love handles" and tone up more. But I would like to focus more on being healthy rather than just losing weight. I need to change my eating habits and I need to start exercising!

disciple
07-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Well, I'm the one who has a lot of "love" to "handle". ;) I need to lose my rather large gut, which I am enjoying doing.

Exercise is making me feel better, I did a LOT today, and I'd love to go running, but lately, having a guys circle my house in a car hurling insults is making me uncomfortable about traveling any sort of distance from my house in anything less than a vehicle of my own.

I can just feel the pounds of "love" falling off. I wonder if I'm be grumpier without all the weight...? ;) Okay, enough bad jokes. :D

pizza brain
07-21-2006, 02:31 PM
No it's ok Disciple we've goten used to the bad jokes :P

disciple
07-21-2006, 02:43 PM
No it's ok Disciple we've goten used to the bad jokes :P
That's what all my G.A.P. buddies say when we play SOCOM Online. :D

[/end off-topic]

pizza brain
07-21-2006, 03:07 PM
lol. For anyone trying to lose weight my advice would be cut the pop (soda,coke what ever you call it) out of your diet. If you wounder who the heck I am to be giving out diet advice I used to weigh 170 and now I'm 138 I'd say 15 or 20 of those was the pop.

lamb_servant72
07-21-2006, 06:04 PM
I know someone else who lost alot of weight by switching from soda to water. Hhmm...I think I'll keep eating my cardboard food as long as I don't have to give up my Pepsi!

Here's Disciple...a few pounds later...

pizza brain
07-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Is that actually Disciple?

disciple
07-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Nope, that's Reeves, isn't it? Wasn't I compaired to him by a certain someone...? :P

If I'm right and that's him, I dunno if it should be sad that I recognize such a tiny picture... ;)

lamb_servant72
07-21-2006, 06:17 PM
That certain someone must have been right, Matt thought Keanu was Disciple! See? I'm not the only one who sees it!

pizza brain
07-21-2006, 06:19 PM
:o I think it is Reeves.....it's not sad you recognized him you just watched the matrix too many times.

disciple
07-21-2006, 08:26 PM
LOL. No, just part 2 AND 3... a lot...

That certain someone must have been right, Matt thought Keanu was Disciple! See? I'm not the only one who sees it!
LOL!! Yeah, maybe when you're standing so far away that he's that small. :P

unshakeable15
07-22-2006, 10:21 AM
So, back on topic. i don't eat very healthy either. My roommate is always trying to get me to eat the gross vegetables (tomatoes, cauliflower, lima beans) but i don't wanna! But i get his point. i am drinking a lot more water since i moved out and a lot less soda. Both big pluses.

theelectric3
07-22-2006, 04:25 PM
yes, the less soda the better. i've been drinking more coffee... but it helps because of where i work. ;)

tomatoes are yummy! i used to not like them but i enjoy eating them now. especially in sandwhiches... and salads. :)

lamb_servant72
07-23-2006, 04:02 AM
I started substituting lettuce with fresh spinach. I use it on burgers, sandwiches, and fajitas! I actually like the flavor of fresh spinach better than lettuce, and it is loaded with all kinds of healthy stuff, including coenzyme Q10.

terrasin
07-23-2006, 04:40 AM
I figured I would post this here. It's something I had posted on another forum.

This is something I'm doing as well as I need to lose weight for performing and photoshoots coming up. I really want to look my best, feel good, and really be in shape and good health so I don't get winded on stage. There are a few really good things I've learned durring this process to do it.

1) There is no magic pill. If you won't do the work and manage your diet, you won't lose the weight. Plain and simple.

2) If you aren't willing to do the work, you don't want it as bad as you think. This is pretty much with anything in life. If you want something bad enough, you will do whatever it takes to achieve that goal. If you sit on your thumbs watching it go by, you really don't want it. So if you want to lose weight, you need to make yourself do it. STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!

3) Set yourself up with a program and stick to it. I walk every night with my wife. I'm also working on getting my bike fixed so I can ride it to town and not take the car. Set yourself up with some good cardio workouts to get the heart rate up. If you need to have someone set you up a program, then do it.

4) You are what you eat. What are your eatting habbits like? I don't care what anyone tells you; if you're eatting McDonalds every night snacking on a bag of Cheetos, and washing it down with 2 liters of Mt. Dew, you aren't going to lose weight. Now does this mean you have to eat like a rabbit; only fruits and veggies? No, but you need to look at what you are eatting and what is in it. I don't count calories and carbs. I think people waste too much time and energy on stuff like that. But I did start eatting healthier. I'm eatting meats without hormone and steroid injections, fresh fruits and vegetables, cooking with real food. I'm sorry, but if your dinner comes in a box, it's not healthy. Take the time to cook real food and not those "10 minute dinners" that hamburger helper puts out. Your health is worth the extra time to cook.

5) Get on a vitamin plan. Even for people who don't have a weight problem, this is very important to be on. Vitamins and Supplements are very important for people to be on today. They help give our body the things it can't produce on it's own or get from the things we eat. Plus, each person's body is different in it's genetic makeup which means different people need different things. I can talk at length about this if anyone needs. Just send me a pm.

The best thing you can do for yourself is keep yourself healthy. Grab an ipod (or cd player if you are like me and don't have an ipod) and get walking.

CJ

disciple
07-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Yes, lately I have been considering my unhealthily staggering consumption of Sprite. I will be phasing much of it out with Fiji water (probably the only healthy water you can get around here...)

FYI, the local tap water is unhealthy to drink. I drank it for a couple weeks instead of my usual amount of Sprite and I got sick with stomach problems. Once I stopped drinking it, I felt better.

I don't really trust some of the bottled water here, too, so I'll go with Fiji, especially 'cause it comes in a large bottle from Fiji! ;D ;)

I think I'm going to move my exercise to the evening time, when it's cooler outside and I've been up and had two meals already. I usually can do a lot more once I've had a lunch ("lively at lunchtime," I am.) My exercise routine varies on occasion, but I make sure that I progress how much I do so I can get up to a more average routine. I think I'm gonna include a long walk, too, or maybe a bike ride, if I can get air in my tires. Also, I'm gonna hafta see about getting that scale fixed -- if I have a numerical aid to tell me I'm losing some weight, then I'm more likely to have extra motivation. I have plenty of motivation, because I came to realize and agree with what CJ said, in all aspects of my life.

dawn of light
07-24-2006, 06:09 AM
Thanks for that great post CJ, it's totally true. I find that my biggest stumbling block when it comes to diet is laziness and being too busy. I love vegatables, lean meats, whole grains, etc. but sometimes I'm in such a hurry to get somewhere that I'll just heat up a can of soup instead of taking the time to cook. I grew up on an extremely healthy diet (we NEVER had chips of pop in the house, only homemade cookies ;) ).

I used to have a really bad habit of eating out all the time too (also not good for the wallet). So my boyfriend and I decided that instead of going out to eat to spend time together we'd start cooking together. Even the "healthy" restaurant choices are no match for home cooked meals.

PS. Disciple, I like your bad jokes they make me laugh!

disciple
07-24-2006, 04:33 PM
lol, somebody has to laugh at them, otherwise they aren't jokes. :D

Okay, yeah, I got done fantasizing over the idea of having Fiji water. :D I'm going to experiment with the more financially viable choice again: filtered tap water. If it makes me sick like before, I'm screwed. :D

terrasin
07-24-2006, 06:50 PM
We have a great filtration system on our sink. I actually prefer it to bottled water.

CJ

disciple
07-24-2006, 07:36 PM
We have a great filtration system on our sink. I actually prefer it to bottled water.

CJ
I don't even recognize the brand name on ours. And I don't like the source material, since they use heavy chlorine to clean the stangant water.

dawn of light
07-25-2006, 05:30 AM
I use a simple Brita filter. I grew up in the country and was blessed with wonderful tasting well water all my life until I moved to the city. The Brita filter works pretty well but I know that our water is much cleaner than a lot of places in the US so I don't know if that would work for you.

disciple
07-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Iowan water is just disgusting, I recall watching on the local news about how its water is some of the most unclean in the country. It's hard not to believe -- after all, unfiltered water tastes like fish.

terrasin
07-25-2006, 05:54 PM
http://www.oekologismus.de/wp-content/uploads/meat_jesusFish.gif

CJ

disciple
07-25-2006, 05:58 PM
LOL!! That was a very grateful laugh. :D

Stridergorn
07-28-2006, 07:28 AM
I have become fascinated with nutrition and stuff lately. I think we (my family) are starting to eat healthier and stuff. None of us are overweight or anything, but I like eating healthy. I can't say that I'm really very good at it, though. I'm trying to slim down a little. I'm not huge or anything, and I don't weigh much because of lack of muscle, but I'm reeeeaaaaally out of shape. I need to start walking more. My neighborhood was supposed to have a pool by June, but I don't think they'll have it done.

aliengurl7
07-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Yea, I want to start eating better too. Im trying to stop eating chips when I first wake up in the morning, I started to replace that bad habit with Boost and a actual meal thats good for me that will give me energy and not make me feel sluggish. And I feel better because of it so far...chips are evil.

terrasin
07-29-2006, 07:22 PM
I usually eat lunch for breakfast. I find there is more nutritian in foods you would normally eat for lunch or supper than what most people see as normal breakfast foods. I read an article once about one lady who ate her meals backwards, I.E. supper for breakfast, lunch for lunch, breakfast for supper, and lost a lot of weight and maintained it. It gives you something to think about.

CJ

aliengurl7
07-29-2006, 08:16 PM
^ Thats sounds like a good idea. Eating the heaviest meal first and lightest last.

lamb_servant72
07-30-2006, 03:09 PM
You have more time to burn off the calories if you eat your biggest meal first.

love~addict
07-30-2006, 03:22 PM
that sounds like a great idea...i think i might try that and ur right i would give u alot more time to burn off the calories!

disciple
07-30-2006, 03:28 PM
I've gone through periods where I tried to eat something other than cereal for breakfast, and it only made me nauseous. I'm not willing to try again so soon.

terrasin
07-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Another thing (and this is one I fail at miserably) is to not eat at least 4 hours before bed. Your body doesn't burn nearly as much while it's resting, so those late night snacks turn into stored energy (fat). Sucks because I love having my late night snacks. :(

CJ

disciple
07-30-2006, 09:01 PM
As do I, but I can control that :P, unless I need to eat to calm my stomach.

dawn of light
07-31-2006, 07:30 AM
I usually try to have some toast (whole grain bread) and fruit for breakfast. I like to sleep in so I definitely don't have time to eat a big meal before work. I also have trouble with eating before bed. Yesterday I was chowing down on chips like crazy!

terrasin
07-31-2006, 08:28 AM
I usually have leftovers in the morning. :)

CJ

alorian
07-31-2006, 09:05 AM
It's breakfast time. Time for pizza :evil:

EDIT: I realized I can't have pizza without pepsi, and then I thought "Is this really healthy and a good idea?" It was then that I decided to throw water in there for good measure and remember my high metabolism. I have a plate of pizza right now with some pepsi and some water with me as well.

disciple
07-31-2006, 02:27 PM
I can't have anything except a non-peanut containing cereal for the morning. I tried leftover burgers one morning and I chucked 'em back up. :P

1nonlyjen
07-31-2006, 02:53 PM
I read the best quote the other day, it was by Jessica Simpson who replied to critics saying she had gained weight (she was getting too skinny in my opinion anyway and I won't start on my issues with anorexic Hollywood) "You can't strut when you're skinny, you gotta have a little bounce." I don't usually care for her but I thought that was a great quote.

dawn of light
08-01-2006, 07:07 AM
hehe, that's great Jen.

I'm going to start exercising 3 times a week with my boyfriend next week! I'm excited because I know that can give you more energy and I'm finding that I've been feeling really tired lately. I'll do mostly cardio but I know I should do some weight training as well.

lamb_servant72
12-04-2006, 01:57 AM
Leviticus 3:16 "...All fat is the Lord's."

terrasin
12-04-2006, 05:42 AM
GOOD! He can keep it! I don't want it! :P

CJ

breakthesilence
12-05-2006, 02:07 PM
it is so hard to eat good food when you are in college. i started getting used to organic stuff (read: really healthy & good for you & usually tasting better & not full of artificial fatteners to make you think you really are getting some nutrtion out of it), and now i'm in college and all they have is sugar & grease vats. it's terrible. that's not food, people!!! yikes.

dawn of light
12-05-2006, 05:42 PM
I totally know how you feel Heidi! It's hard to make the time to cook myself something healthy when I was so many others things I should be doing. I'd like to make it more of a priority though.

alorian
12-05-2006, 09:35 PM
I used to eat mostly junk food, but my body acclimated to healthy things, so now I can't eat snack food as much as I was able to. It's quite a pain.. literally :P

*E* of Rohan
12-12-2006, 09:25 AM
I hate how the yummy organic food is so expensive.... I have to drink only soy milk and that stuff is extremely expensive comparative to milk. The other thing that always frustrates me, is living on a meal plan, I have to eat at the cafeteria at least some times during the week, and the healthy options there are scarce to say the least. But luckily, I'm home for a month and I can eat whatever organic yumminess I want!

I've thought about going vegan, just for health's sake and because I don't care for the taste of red meat..but I think it would just be way too complicated as a college student. I think that it is a neat idea though. Not, to make a statement about animal products, but because there are so many health benefits associated with that lifestyle.

dawn of light
12-13-2006, 07:12 AM
there are so many health benefits associated with that lifestyle
But only for someone who eats properly! And makes sure they get the proper nutrients. I have a friend who decided to go vegatarian and she got sick because she wasn't getting enough protein. So she started eating chicken (but not red meat) and making sure she ate enough healthy foods.

kittygirl
12-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Let me just say something...I really don't worry about my weight. I eat pretty healthy, but I do eat *good* fats (such as half & half rather than loads of sugar in my coffee)

I wear a size 0,in shirts, and a size 2, or 3 in pants. Occasionally a 0, but if I happen to fit into a size 4 (and it's the best fit, it doesn't bother me. ...but at the same time, I'm not very tall at all, and my build is small.

To me...there are two unhealthy extremes:obesity, and anorexia. Both extremes are obessed with food, one on the end of overindulgence, and the other on the end of guilt.

Alot of people (girls included)choose to eat highly saturated fats, and oils, in excess, and don't exercise. Then they put a guilt trip on anyone who is thinner than them.

But then again, there is a lot of pressure put on girls to be a size 0 your whole life (which I know I won't be forever)irrergardless of your height or body type.

It's...weird.

*E* of Rohan
12-14-2006, 09:02 AM
But only for someone who eats properly! And makes sure they get the proper nutrients. I have a friend who decided to go vegatarian and she got sick because she wasn't getting enough protein. So she started eating chicken (but not red meat) and making sure she ate enough healthy foods.

Definately. You have to be super super conscious of your vitamin intake and getting adequate protein. I think that's why some people choose to eat dairy products or fish. Red meat just is not very healthy for you unless it is extremely lean and I think its nice to have a lifestyle that encourages you to eat fruits and veggies.