RKDCfan08
02-24-2006, 06:56 AM
I don't know if this qualifies as a "serious discussion", but have any of you heard about this? Apparently she was giving a speech/Q&A with attendees when all of the liberals and democrats in the audience started heckling her, insulting her, etc...for any of you who know what Anne is famous for, you can probably guess how she responded...I believe one quote went like this, "At Harvard they listen and ask questions, I guess they know how to form questions at Harvard"...pretty good slam...lol...

Your thoughts?

Reeper
02-24-2006, 07:20 AM
I've heard worse stories concerning her. One I heard from her own mouth. She was going into a book store or something for an autograph signing. There was a large crowd outside waiting for her and while she was walking in a man punched her in the mouth. I forget what she said she did in return but I do remember it was very funny.

The thing that worries me about this is the extent that people take their disagreements. The hate is outrageous. And this may just be the conservative in me talking and my views may be skewed cause I am a conservative, but I only see the hate of this caliber coming from one side.

Here's a for instance. During the President's state of the union address occasionally people stood up. Now, this should be common knowledge but I'll say it anyway. When someone is giving a speech or they just sang a song, etc. and everyone stands up and applauds. It is appropriate etiquette for you also to stand up even if you don't agree with what was said or you think that the song sucked, etc. During the president's speech there were repeated times when everyone stood up to applaud yet people of the left wing persuasion refused to stand up. This is common decency. Simply giving the president the respect he deserves as the president. By standing up they were not indicating they agreed or siging on with the republican party. It was simple manners and yet it didn't happen. I don't recall that occurring during Clinton time in office. I recall everyone standing when he made a point, even if they didn't agree. Anyway end rant... I'll probably get in trouble for that.

Peace

skilletosis
02-24-2006, 08:00 AM
I'll tell you Anne knows how to come back when a situation arises. I'm sure that there were plenty of people who went to her speaking engagement to actually hear her. Personaly I have a life and wouldn't waste it going to see someone I disagreed with. Just because we have the right to free speech doesn't mean we should be rude, obnoxious, disruptive, babies. This is so childish. There are plenty of ways to voice your opossition without disrupting the event.

amodman
02-24-2006, 08:44 AM
What happened to common courtesy in America? Someone needs to slap these political junk-heads silly. I'd almost say this country needs attacked or something so they can wake up and be constructive, not destructive. Oh...wait...that already happened. Losers.

unshakeable15
02-25-2006, 05:57 PM
Amos, i edited your post to remove the first sentence. it was uncalled for. if you want further exaplanation, PM me.

Reeper, as a rebuttal of your claim that "hate of this caliber [only] coming from one side" i have to point out the abortion clinic bombings. ultra-conservatives bombing offices where abortions are being done, as well as some car bombing the doctors doing them.

i'll just add that ultra anything is usually bad. Aristole had a rule (the rule of the Golden Mean) that says anything to an extreme (ultra-conservative, ultra-liberal, ultra-whatever) doesn't work. the middle ground (which is still very wide) works best.

amodman
02-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Amos, i edited your post to remove the first sentence. it was uncalled for. if you want further exaplanation, PM me.

Considering I don'even remember what I said was...

Reeper, as a rebuttal of your claim that "hate of this caliber [only] coming from one side" i have to point out the abortion clinic bombings. ultra-conservatives bombing offices where abortions are being done, as well as some car bombing the doctors doing them.

i'll just add that ultra anything is usually bad. Aristole had a rule (the rule of the Golden Mean) that says anything to an extreme (ultra-conservative, ultra-liberal, ultra-whatever) doesn't work. the middle ground (which is still very wide) works best.

No offense, but that's a horrible philosophy. There's a lesson of tolerance and love to be learned here, for sure, but the less you believe in the better? Or, the more your beliefs fit in with the crowd the better? Just two ways that idea can be summed up and made. I'd rather be at any end than in the middle, personally :P (and I'm not saying there's only two ends, I'm just saying find what you believe and stick to it).

TheFireBreathes
02-25-2006, 06:26 PM
I've heard worse stories concerning her. One I heard from her own mouth. She was going into a book store or something for an autograph signing. There was a large crowd outside waiting for her and while she was walking in a man punched her in the mouth. I forget what she said she did in return but I do remember it was very funny.

The thing that worries me about this is the extent that people take their disagreements. The hate is outrageous. And this may just be the conservative in me talking and my views may be skewed cause I am a conservative, but I only see the hate of this caliber coming from one side.

Here's a for instance. During the President's state of the union address occasionally people stood up. Now, this should be common knowledge but I'll say it anyway. When someone is giving a speech or they just sang a song, etc. and everyone stands up and applauds. It is appropriate etiquette for you also to stand up even if you don't agree with what was said or you think that the song sucked, etc. During the president's speech there were repeated times when everyone stood up to applaud yet people of the left wing persuasion refused to stand up. This is common decency. Simply giving the president the respect he deserves as the president. By standing up they were not indicating they agreed or siging on with the republican party. It was simple manners and yet it didn't happen. I don't recall that occurring during Clinton time in office. I recall everyone standing when he made a point, even if they didn't agree. Anyway end rant... I'll probably get in trouble for that.

Peace

Funny, I thought of Cindy Sheehan while reading your post :P

unshakeable15
02-25-2006, 06:26 PM
remember, the middle is wide. i said that for a reason. by that i meant you can still be leftist or part of the conservative right, but the extremes, the far left or the far right, are the ones that cause the most damage.

Nazism is actually extreme conservatism. just as Communism is extreme liberalism. neither works. ultra-liberals and ultra-conservatives (i believe) are just a couple steps below them.

john316
02-25-2006, 06:53 PM
For what it is worth...I like Anne :)...even if she goes a little to far to the right sometimes.