TheFireBreathes
02-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Alright, yall are going to think Im kinda lame for saying this. But who is Moses? I hear a bunch of stories about him at youth group and at school but and I get so mixed up. I try reading different stories about him in the Bible and either 1. I get really confused or 2. Get even more lost and confused. I guess Im just not that great at analyzing stories from the Bible.

Can someone please give me a short or long (whatever) summary of him? Thanks

unshakeable15
02-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Short: he was the leader of the Isrealites from out of Egypt into the Promised Land (tho he himself never went).

Long: he was born at the time when the Isrealites were under the Pharaoh's slavery in Egypt. he was nearly killed as a baby, but his family saved him and got him into the Pharoah's house as the Pharaoh's daughter's surrogate son. therefore, he grew up in the palace. once a man, he's caught having killed an Egyptian beating an Israel, and so he's banished to the desert. there, he finds a wife and works for her father as a shepherd.

after many years, God speaks to him, when he's out looking after the sheep, through a bush that doesn't burn up even though it's on fire. God sends him (with his brother Aaron at his side) back to Egypt to free the Isrealites from slavery. he confronts the Pharaoh and, after 10 plagues and many times the Pharaoh changes his mind of letting them go or not, gets the Isrealites freedom.

yet once in the desert, next to the Red Sea, the Pharaoh follows. God allows the Israelites to walk on dry land through the sea and gets the Pharaoh's chariots stuck in the mud so they drown when the sea returns.

they trek to Mount Sinai (where the bush burned) to receive the 10 Commandments and the law (basically, the book of Leviticus). from there, they move on to the Promised Land (modern day Israel/Palestine/Jordan/Lebanon). but because of the lack of faith the 12 spies had (except for 2), they didn't take the land. God had them wait 40 years until that unbelieving generation died out. then He allowed them to enter, but without Moses, because he disobeyed God (he struck a rock to cause water to come out of it instead of simply speaking to it), he wasn't allowed to enter.

Brokienheart
02-26-2006, 08:05 PM
I would say if you want to know who Moses is. Start around the story of Joseph in Genesis and go through Exodus.

Genesis will give you the backstory while Exodus will give you the story of Moses. Sometimes it can get confusing to read about people when you are reading about their 'works' (actually God's works through them) half-way through their story. so I am suggesting start with some pre-history and then hit Exodus for the story of Moses.

Just my thoughts...no better way learning about Moses than reading about him for yourself.

lamb_servant72
02-27-2006, 04:41 AM
Great recap, Mike. I love what Deut 34 says about Moses at his death. Verse 6 says that God buried him. Can you imagine having that honor? To be buried by God? Moses' soul and spirit were gone, but God cared enough about Moses' flesh to take the time to bury it Himself.

The last three verses of Deut read: Deut 34:10-12 Since then no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face, for all the signs and wonders which the Lord sent him to perform in the land of Egypt against Pharaoh, all his servants, and all his land, and for all the mighty power and for all the great terror which Moses performed in the sight of all Israel.

You're not lame, Brett. I use to always get Abraham and Moses mixed up!

Brokienheart
02-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Great recap, Mike. I love what Deut 34 says about Moses at his death. Verse 6 says that God buried him. Can you imagine having that honor? To be buried by God? Moses' soul and spirit were gone, but God cared enough about Moses' flesh to take the time to bury it Himself.

Aye, that was probably one of the most amazing things at the end of his life was that he was buried by God. I just find that very cool. If you ever read Jewish customs they have alot more interesting things about Moses; whether they are true or not I dunno, but it is interesting to read none the less.

skilletfreak101
02-27-2006, 05:02 PM
i may sound stupid...but i never knew until today that moses wrote the first 5 books of the Bible :-o

TheFireBreathes
02-27-2006, 05:08 PM

The last three verses of Deut read: Deut 34:10-12 Since then no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face, for all the signs and wonders which the Lord sent him to perform in the land of Egypt against Pharaoh, all his servants, and all his land, and for all the mighty power and for all the great terror which Moses performed in the sight of all Israel.

You're not lame, Brett. I use to always get Abraham and Moses mixed up!

Pssh, you bet thats an honor! Man, to brag to people upstairs that God burried me himself...well that would be pretty dang awesome!

zeroneff
04-21-2006, 07:33 PM
yeah and to be able to cross a sea.....

amodman
04-23-2006, 11:17 PM
i may sound stupid...but i never knew until today that moses wrote the first 5 books of the Bible :-o

It's supposed that he wrote the first 5 books of the Bible, or, The Torah. Whether or not he wrote every 'bit of it or not, he is assumed to have because he's the one that basically put together the written Torah, whereas before the Torah only existed through vocal teaching from generation to the next. Obviously, though, the written isn'y exactly the same as the vocal, as it includes a lot of history about the time it was written and such (though much of this still is used to communicate messages...but some of it still is just plain history, heh).