Isildur9473
02-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Clicky (http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/02/25/schlosser.trial.ap/index.html)

Why are insanity pleas allowed? This woman maybe insane, but that doesn't change the fact that she killed her baby. The woman in Texas maybe insane, but that doesn't change the fact that she murdered all 5 of her children.

The woman in Texas for example, she should get the death penalty, but will she? She's insane, so they might not give it to her even though she killed 5 children. Same with this woman who killed her daughter. She maybe insane, but that's not important. What is important, is convicting this person of a crime and giving them punishment accordingly.

Am I missing something..?

drumchick101
02-25-2006, 08:18 PM
I guess the lawyer's gatta get paid somehow. :-\

><sarah><

NightCrawler
02-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Well, according to Hippocrates people with mental disorders should not be held accountable the way normal people are.

(a paradox seems to arise if you also believe that humans won't kill unless they have a mental disorder ;) )

asparagus
02-26-2006, 08:35 AM

Why are insanity pleas allowed? This woman maybe insane, but that doesn't change the fact that she killed her baby. The woman in Texas maybe insane, but that doesn't change the fact that she murdered all 5 of her children.

The woman in Texas for example, she should get the death penalty, but will she? She's insane, so they might not give it to her even though she killed 5 children. Same with this woman who killed her daughter. She maybe insane, but that's not important. What is important, is convicting this person of a crime and giving them punishment accordingly.

Am I missing something..?When Texans think someone is insane, that's saying something. I cannot think of a state that likes to send more people to death than Texas, so when they choose not to, they have good reason. It's hard to be more pro-death penalty than Texans.

Just because she is legally insane does not mean that she gets off scot-free. In most states, to be legally insane, it means you are doing something that you do not want to do. That's a rather high burden of evidence to show, so when it is demonstrated, jurors by all means should take it into consideration.

kittygirl
03-27-2006, 05:42 PM
I agree with what her pastor said:
Insanity is possesion of demons.

I noticed that alot of times, when people say they're starting to hear voices in their head, that people just disregard it as "mental illness."

Doesn't that sound like demonic possesion?

TheFireBreathes
03-28-2006, 07:09 PM

Am I missing something..?

Heres a dumb story.

A few years back a 17 year old kid broke into his neighbors house to rob it. Things got out of hand and the owner of the house ended up being home. She right away knew who he was and he knew that she knew also. Immediatley he reacted and tied her up and took her to a bridge and threw her off of it. She died on impact.

But noo the kid doesnt get sentenced to death penalty, the lawyer defends that he cant get it because he was only 17. And no 17 year old could commit a pre-meditated murder....

unshakeable15
03-30-2006, 09:29 PM
How does that story add the thread? What does it have to do with insanity, or even demon possession? Sure, he might have been possessed, but you didn't even say that.

aliengurl7
04-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Exactly, if a crazy person claims they didn't know what they were doing when they killed somebody then they shouldn't know whats happening to them when they are executed.

TheFireBreathes
04-02-2006, 12:44 PM
How does that story add the thread? What does it have to do with insanity, or even demon possession? Sure, he might have been possessed, but you didn't even say that.

I was pointing out why the courts make stupid decisions

unshakeable15
04-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Try to let us know of connections like that. We're (or at least, me) are not the smartest grapes in the bunch.

Also, i believe the title of the thread (and therefore the subject being talked about) is "Insanity," not "Court System Stupidity." We all know there are flaws in the system, whatever system that may be in whatever country. We are human and our systems are flawed. So, telling us a story that points that out in a thread that isn't talking about the court system except as a corrolary (a parallel to the topic) isn't helping.

(Sorry if this sounds harsh, i didn't mean it to.)