bob
03-03-2006, 06:23 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usclimateenvironment;_ylt=AsHzHesZb11W4JQ5hJpZ1mNr AlMA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

So, my view on things, its not due to us, it is due to the sun. The polar ice caps on Mars are sublimating, also and as far as I know there are no Americans (or Humans) on Mars, so you can't blame the US on this. The Sun is heating up and that is what I think it is, granted I don't think that people are helping the problem, but hey.

amodman
03-03-2006, 07:44 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usclimateenvironment;_ylt=AsHzHesZb11W4JQ5hJpZ1mNr AlMA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

So, my view on things, its not due to us, it is due to the sun. The polar ice caps on Mars are subliminating (aka, melting without oxygen it is called subliminting or vanishing) also and as far as I know there are no Americans (or Humans) on Mars, so you can't blame the US on this. The Sun is heating up and that is what I think it is, granted I don't think that people are helping the problem, but hey.

Umm...what? Okay, no offense, but first of all, it's - sublimating. That is, changing from a solid to a gas with no liquid state (dry ice, as an example). Secondly, the polar caps on mars have always done this (as far as we know). It's what causes the winds on Mars you may or may not have heard about. When the Northern or Southern Hemisphere of the planet points towards the sun, the respective ice cap sublimates and greatly increases in volume. When it's pointing away, there's no air...it's all in the ice caps. It's, uh, a natural feature...

terrasin
03-03-2006, 11:02 AM
I believe that global warming is a huge problem we should be looking to prevent. All the pollution and CO2 emissions we cause by every day life is speeding things up at an alarming rate. We need to seriously start looking at moving to Hybrids as that would be a good start. Wee also need to be recycling more and using cleaner energy sources. A lot of industry regulations need to be changed as well.

The sad thing is that our country is very slow to embrace change because change costs money and we are too apathetic for our own good. You either have people who are too extreme or don't care enough, but never the nice medium between the two. Unfortunately, before people start to care it will probably be too late. ;|

CJ

amodman
03-03-2006, 11:55 AM
I believe that global warming is a huge problem we should be looking to prevent. All the pollution and CO2 emissions we cause by every day life is speeding things up at an alarming rate. We need to seriously start looking at moving to Hybrids as that would be a good start. Wee also need to be recycling more and using cleaner energy sources. A lot of industry regulations need to be changed as well.

Yes and no. It's been a proven fact that volcanoes and nature itself has caused more damage than we have. Energy may be a factor...but the best start would be to stop clearing away plant life and starting adding to it.

BarlowgIRL
03-03-2006, 06:28 PM
I don't believe in global warming. It's all in the building. One city in NY went up a few degrees in temp and a city miles away from that went DOWN a few degrees. More asphalt and roof tiles reflects heat and makes it warmer.that's my theory.

disciple
03-03-2006, 06:31 PM
I believe in global warming, because we got to see the "Northern Lights" here last year, and because the last 4 Winters have been shortened to, oh say, about a month or two.

newday_7
03-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Yeah here it usually snows in like october or november but this year we didn't get a good lasting snow still the end of february

disciple
03-03-2006, 10:32 PM
That's the way it was here. We got a little temporary snow pre-Christmas, but it melted soon after, and we got near Spring-like weather for a while until after groundhog's day. It's not normal weather at all.

bob
03-04-2006, 09:33 AM
dry ice, as an example

Mar's seasonal ice caps are dry ice.

skilletfreak101
03-04-2006, 10:53 AM
i don't think global warning is something any of us should really worry about...im not saying that we should all be slobs and litter and junk...but i don't think the world is just going to blow up tomorrow because that's not Biblical. so w/e. all i can say is i like the warm weather...hahaha.

amodman
03-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Mar's seasonal ice caps are dry ice.

Yes, it's because it is in fact it's air :D. Also because of how dry it's atmosphere is...

BarlowgIRL
03-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Well it snowed last year and it never snows here so that just means it's colder. But that's where I live.

terrasin
03-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Keep in mind that global warming isn't really going to effect us right away. The emissions actually spread more towards the poles rather than hovering right above, which is one of the reasons that the ice caps see the most significant changes first.

With the odd weather, that's more the fault of last years tsunami. When the tsunami happened, it litterally changed the currents in the ocean which happens to be one of the main sources of the weather that we have. It's actually pretty crazy; land 250 miles long suddenly shooting strait up because of tention Burma Plate caused by the India Plate. The whole thing took a matter of about 100 seconds and there is now a 50 or so foot cliff in the ocean where the land shot up.

CJ

disciple
03-04-2006, 07:32 PM
The "odd" weather has been here for 4 years, here.

terrasin
03-04-2006, 09:59 PM
I'm more talking about the drastic changes like the rain in California. We go through typical weather patterns every so often anyway.

CJ

timmyrotter
03-05-2006, 08:31 AM
i like warm weather!!! burn fossil fuels!!!

Mr. Xcitement
03-05-2006, 09:58 AM
I don't know, I know that weather has patterns and such, but also our burning of fuels doesn't do any good. I forget where it was, but I read something about since the polar ice caps have been melting, water around Great Britain have dropped in temp. Also I read something about Alaska's melting has increased a lot, and that they've lost an alarming amount of ice up there.

unshakeable15
03-05-2006, 02:23 PM
I'm more talking about the drastic changes like the rain in California. We go through typical weather patterns every so often anyway.
What? We have rain? Really?

Wait, we always have rain. There's nothing odd about that.

In fact, if there's anything odd, it's the Indian winter (it's been flopping around between spring and winter weather the last part of February). Other than that, there's really been no change in the weather in Cali (at least north Cali).

terrasin
03-05-2006, 03:28 PM
What? We have rain? Really?

Wait, we always have rain. There's nothing odd about that.

In fact, if there's anything odd, it's the Indian winter (it's been flopping around between spring and winter weather the last part of February). Other than that, there's really been no change in the weather in Cali (at least north Cali).
Southern Cali, especially in the Sacramento area has had way over their normal yearly rainfall from what I've been hearing.

CJ

disciple
03-05-2006, 04:57 PM
I hope that was sarcasm ::]

Reeper
03-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Personally I think Global Warming is a load of crap. Take a history class and you will realize that the world and certain areas of the world have had times of cold and heat throughout history. However never has there been one unanimous shift in the weather to either hot or cold. If the weather is truly changing, which I don't think it actually is, then I think we are most likely in a certain spell of that kind of weather. I think Global Warming is all in the mind. People are looking at local (meaning short time span) patterns, not the big picture. I also think it is used by the news companies to get people to watch.

Just a for instance. This year we had about an average winter for South eastern PA. We had a few light dustings, then one really big storm, but in about a week all the snow had melted. About average. However on the news they were saying we were having one of the warmest winter's on record, and that this was proof that global warming is happening. Now, it may be true that we had one of the warmest winters in a while, but it does not prove global warming. Russia had the coldest winter it has ever had this year. The entire country of Russia on average experienced a temp. of -40. So again local patterns used to "prove" global warming when actual world wide patterns disprove it.

Peace

skilletfreak101
03-05-2006, 06:52 PM
all i'm gonna say is that God is in control!!

unshakeable15
03-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Southern Cali, especially in the Sacramento area has had way over their normal yearly rainfall from what I've been hearing.

CJ
Did you just lump Sacramento in with Southern Cali? ???

i live 10 min. from Sac (and about 5 hours from So Cal), and there have been some heavy rainfalls, but nothing tremendous. What you heard was probably all the reports about the levees to the west of us that are in poor condition and could break. With the largest storm we had (a couple weeks ago), it dumped on us all the water we didn't get previously during the winter. So, yeah, that one time was big, but taken in with all the rest of the winter, it was about normal. And that has people talking about the levee's mostly (because they are in poor condition and a couple have broken).

riz
03-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Global warming is a tricky business. Personally, I feel the climate is always changing, and you never know what will happen 20 or 30 years down the road, so I wouldn't say that the idea of conditions that are related to the phenomenon is stupid or pointless or false. If you have checked images of the ozone layer at the poles, you can see the gaping holes within it. If you have heard reports in many of the natural parks in the United States, you would be able see the horrendous damage acid rain has done to the forests, especially in areas such as Virginia and North Carolina.

And, to be more accurate: very fierce, cold, winters and intensely hot and dry summers are symptoms related to global warming, according to many scientists. Not overly warm winter and cool summers. However, there are some meterologists and climatologists who feel that any extreme variation from the normal are key signs that the world's climate is changing and that we need to pay attention to what we do to the environment around us.

zeroneff
03-28-2006, 06:57 PM
yeah this is a ishu

If we do not take care of this soon we will see the end of times very soon with over size storms and 7 years of junk you know

skilletfreak101
03-28-2006, 07:13 PM
amen brotha!!!

skynes
03-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Our Winter was late this year. It's usually Nov-Jan time. But it's actually been Jan-Mar.

So the Winter was warmer... the Spring was ice solid with snow.

zeroneff
03-29-2006, 04:20 AM
yeah here in texas it was summer sll winter long

riz
12-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Has anyone seen An Inconvenient Truth?

I just did. And I learned stuff I didn't know about the whole global warming issue. Everyone should see this, regarless of political party, ideology, or beliefs. . .even if you aren't a fan of Al Gore. It isn't spellbinding or action-packed, but it's highly informative, daunting, and at times frightening to consider the possibilities that this movie gives.

terrasin
12-09-2006, 05:52 AM
I've seen parts of it. I'm at odds because, while I'm sure it has a lot of good information, I'm also sure that Gore is using it to push himself politically.

CJ

riz
12-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Ah yes, there was that little section midway through about the election that had me puzzled, but the rest of the movie played out real well. Tooting his horn a bit, him stating 'see how right I've been' most of the time. But his revelations are what'll hit home to most viewers, so the movie definitely plays off those bits.

terrasin
12-11-2006, 04:56 AM
The thing is, he's not a scientist. And even scientists have yet to prove any major changes because it's natural for the average weather to fluxuate with time. It was only 10 years ago they thought we were heading into another ice age.

I totally agree about the effect emmissions will have, but I want hard evidence to back the theroy.

CJ

skilletfreak101
12-11-2006, 07:08 PM
here's my view on global warming: i think that when billions of cars emit carbon in the air every single day, it's only common sence that it's going to affect the atmosphere. i'm not really worried about global warming or anything, but i do think something could happen sometime. but w/e :-P

NightCrawler
12-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Wow. I think CJ and James (amodman) have been the only people that post meat other than spam. [edit: oh yeah, and riz and technically bob. >_> ]

The rest have been "I believe this" or "here is my opinion."

Fact and truth are not relative.

Anyway, I think we need to stop worrying about global warming because I like cars and tree bark is just plain ugly.

Laugh.

skilletfreak101
12-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Wow. I think CJ and James (amodman) have been the only people that post meat other than spam. [edit: oh yeah, and riz and technically bob. >_> ]

The rest have been "I believe this" or "here is my opinion."

Fact and truth are not relative.

Anyway, I think we need to stop worrying about global warming because I like cars and tree bark is just plain ugly.

Laugh.
oh yeah i forgot that you couldn't put your opinions on any threads :-P

terrasin
12-17-2006, 09:44 AM
So I watched the whole movie "An Inconvenient Truth" this week. I think it has a lot of facts and a powerful message that people need to hear. Frankly, some of the ideas are quite scary to think about because they are really happening.

What I didn't like about the film is exactly what I was expecting. Part of it was "The Al Gore Story" where he whines about not being voted as president and takes the opportunity to push politics into it or tell his life story which I don't think had anything really to do with the topic. However, if you can get past the political bullcrap, there is a message that everyone needs to hear.

CJ

riz
12-19-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm just happy there's a movie about these issues, and that quite a few people are now paying attention to global warming now because of it, despite any politics that might come tacked on to the movie.