petrameansrock
03-18-2006, 01:57 PM
I have this amp, its a circa 1984 Peavey VTX Series MX amplifier with a Black Widow speaker. Needless to say, its a quad-tube amp. My problem is that I use distortion pedals on it. Case in point: my Boss Metal Zone pedal. The problem is that I cant get good sound. I dont know what to set the amp equalizer to, and I've played around with it a bunch. The sound is either ear-splittingly high, or so low it sounds like an earthquake, or it sounds fine, but when you palm mute, the amp's bass goes up, and then goes down. Anyone able to help?

Pretendeavor
03-18-2006, 02:00 PM
I have this amp, its a circa 1984 Peavey VTX Series MX amplifier with a Black Widow speaker. Needless to say, its a quad-tube amp. My problem is that I use distortion pedals on it. Case in point: my Boss Metal Zone pedal. The problem is that I cant get good sound. I dont know what to set the amp equalizer to, and I've played around with it a bunch. The sound is either ear-splittingly high, or so low it sounds like an earthquake, or it sounds fine, but when you palm mute, the amp's bass goes up, and then goes down. Anyone able to help?
peaveys are piece of crap

petrameansrock
03-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Really? A bunch of my very experienced guitar playing friends revere them.

DustinRocks
03-27-2006, 06:43 PM
way late but I can totally help you. And whoever said Peaveys are crap you my friend must no ear for tone or very little patience with setting up so until you can give me a good reason without saying crap or I have a crappy one then don't respond.

Set your amp clean and set the EQ flat. Get your desired clean tone. Set your all your pedals controls at noon. The slowly dial in your desired sound. I would recomenda pedal with less gain. Go with the Visual Sounds Jekyll and Hyde for a good drive very marshallesque.

panheadko
03-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Yeah Peaveys are really nice, I especially like the 5150 II......I personally have always been a Mesa guy, but there is no denying Peavey puts out great stuff. Yeah listen to Dustinrocks he knows what he's talking about.

skilletfreak101
03-28-2006, 10:16 AM
peavey tube amps are niiiiiiiiiiccceeeee

DustinRocks
03-28-2006, 10:25 AM
thanks for props man.