not_you
03-22-2006, 08:08 PM
For those of us who want to study God's Word daily and need some encouragement, let's post here each day how we're doing as far as Bible reading/studying/personal time with God goes.

3/22 - not yet, but after I get offline I will.

drumchick101
03-23-2006, 01:39 PM
oo, goody. I read the book of Amos yesterday. It was such a clear view of how much God hates fakeness and empty motions; how much He hates doing His work and/or serving Him in order to please society. So many times I pour my heart out in things and the one with the best "package" get's the title, or whatever I was striving for. I often get frustrated when people take me as second rate when I give my all in things. This was His promise to me that He sees my heart and would never let that happen to me in the Kingdom of God.

><sarah><

theelectric3
03-23-2006, 01:59 PM
i finsihed amos recently... i'm going through all the prophets of the old testament. it's a compelling read.

john316
03-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Great thread...here is a typical day for me.

I read my bible and have a time for prayer in the morning before work. i also read it before bed then my wife and i have family prayer every night.

I usally study my sunday school lesson on monday and wednesday evening.

Lots of times I pray as i feel the Spirit leading me...sometimes out of the blue i feel the need to pray for someone at which i try to stop what i am doing if possible and pray for that person.

not_you
03-23-2006, 07:50 PM
3/23 - I've prayed a lot today. I'll soon get offline and go pray and study more. I started off the day on my face.

Wow, all of your accounts are encouraging to hear. I'm going through a chapter of Proverbs a day. It's really challenging to try to be prudent and disciplined when our culture tells us to do "what we feel like" doing. But I am seeking God to make me more disciplined!

theelectric3
03-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Lots of times I pray as i feel the Spirit leading me...sometimes out of the blue i feel the need to pray for someone at which i try to stop what i am doing if possible and pray for that person.

it's great to be lead by the Spirit and to be obedient to the promptings that He places in our spirit.

proverbs is such an awesome book. so many practical, godly, wisdom for living life.

not_you
03-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Totally. How can I grasp it all? Slowly I will let it sink in and overtime, perhaps I can learn more. I want to live for Jesus all of my life.

3/24 - I started today on my face again. I worshiped with a community of believers today. I'll hits Psalms again before I go to bed.

drumchick101
03-24-2006, 10:06 PM
I've been "picking" at the psalms, but it is kind of intimidating because there are so many of them. I like to dig into them and get everything I can out of each individual one. But I think I'm going to read proverbs again. I've read it, but I wouldn't possibly remember it all, there's so much awsome stuff in there.

><sarah><

not_you
03-26-2006, 03:15 PM
I've been "picking" at the psalms, but it is kind of intimidating because there are so many of them. I like to dig into them and get everything I can out of each individual one. But I think I'm going to read proverbs again. I've read it, but I wouldn't possibly remember it all, there's so much awsome stuff in there.

><sarah><

Yeah, I totally agree with you there. Although a lot of stuff is repeated, Proverbs is packed. But I feel like it's important to live it out.

3/26 - Still seeking God strong through Proverbs. I'm looking for ways to practically apply what I'm reading.

skynes
03-26-2006, 11:43 PM
I've been reading 1 John a lot. Since Lisa mentioned it, I've been very curious about it.

Read through it... 3 times methinks.

I plan it to be 4 tonight.

john316
03-27-2006, 12:39 PM
I started today reading out of Psalms...spend some time in prayer.

Got home from work and spent a little time before the Lord.I plan on studying my Sunday school lesson some tonite then read a passage out of Judges before family prayer with the Mrs.

This thread kind of reminds me of the mandatory 20 thread at the old site.

drumchick101
03-27-2006, 04:30 PM
I've been reading 1 John a lot. Since Lisa mentioned it, I've been very curious about it.

Read through it... 3 times methinks.

I plan it to be 4 tonight.

1 John is one of those books they tell you to read as a new believer but the "old" believers always take it for granted. I think I'll read it again as well...just for kicks.

><sarah><

not_you
03-27-2006, 07:45 PM
This thread kind of reminds me of the mandatory 20 thread at the old site.

What was that? (Sorry that I'm new.)

3/27 - Still chugging through Proverbs. It's definitely challenging to know that all of you are reading the Bible, too. Let's keep this up!

john316
03-28-2006, 05:24 PM
What was that? (Sorry that I'm new.)

3/27 - Still chugging through Proverbs. It's definitely challenging to know that all of you are reading the Bible, too. Let's keep this up!

No problem...the mandatory 20 was a thread where everyone pledged to spend at least 20 mins a day in prayer/bible reading etc. Then we posted the things we were experiencing while doing so.

I prayed right after i got home from work(i really needed it after the day i had). Just got back from church where the topic was from Romans 12.

I plan on more from Judges before bed as well as family prayer.

Yes this thread is encouraging...good job by all

skilletosis
03-28-2006, 10:40 PM
The mandatory 20 could be just what I need to get myself back together. Or the let God put me back together I should say. You know what is hard tho and this is a big one. It is really hard to pray for something that you know will never happen. Now I know that miracles happen but not in what I would pray for. Those of you who actually know me and my little life can figure that one out.

skilltroks
03-30-2006, 04:44 PM
My Spanish teacher memorized the whole book of Philippians. She said it took her awhile/years but she did it. It makes me want to try really hard to memorize scripture so I can testify to people when needed, and also when I'm going through a hard time.

not_you
03-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Mandatory 20 sounds pretty awesome. I think that on an average day my "20" is spread throughout the day.

Well, it's been a few days, but I've faithfully kept up, although I need to spend more time on prayer with major life decisions on the horizon.

alorian
04-14-2006, 09:31 PM
When I start reading I find it hard to stop.

When I'm not reading I find it hard to start.

I've been wanting to do book memorization too, that'd be a good thing.

not_you
04-17-2006, 06:23 PM

I kinda have that problem, but I've made it a habit to read a chapter every night, and if for some reason I don't have a Bible handy, I quote scriptures that I know and meditate on them. I encourage you all to keep it up!

How is everyone else doing? I've been keeping up well. God is showing me more of who I am.

dawn of light
06-05-2006, 07:10 AM
I haven't been doing well with my time with God lately. I need to pray a lot more and my short term goal is to read a Proverbs a day and a chapter or two from the the New Testament every day. I have friends that have been so encouraging though. I won't give up.

Last year and the year before that I was in a two-year "leadership/disipleship training" program through my church called Master's Commission. Every morning we had an hour of personal prayer and Bible reading time, we took different Bible classes and did a lot of hands-on ministry in the church. We also had homework to do (books reports on Bible books and teaching books) and by the end of the year we couldn't graduate unless we memorized 400 scriptures. (I ended the year knowing 408!) We got fed the word pretty much every day, all the time! It was amazing. I came out of Master's Commission a totally changed person. But since I graduated from that program in June 2005 it's been hard to keep up the same growth rate and make sure I spend my time with God every day...I miss it, I miss the closeness I used to feel with Him.

I know I just have to MAKE time for God, because without Him I am nothing.

weebird20
06-06-2006, 01:16 AM
Rachel that training program sounds great...wow...and 400 scriptures! way to go you!

The best way i found to get myself reading and praying daily is to keep a journal...record things you pray for situations your dealing with and scripture you are reading and what you understand from them...it kinda helps you see how you are growing in the Lord.

Having a purpose to your reading helps too...don't just randomly pick a book or chapter...but pick a topic to study...then search your Bible for scripture to help you grasp and understand that topic better.

Schneb
06-06-2006, 03:21 AM
I've been reading through Acts recently. I've never been very good at keeping going when reading the Bible and I never seem to understand very much but it's cool to see the way the church grew. Tis encouraging reading...:)

dawn of light
06-06-2006, 06:32 AM
Rachel that training program sounds great...wow...and 400 scriptures! way to go you!...
Having a purpose to your reading helps too...don't just randomly pick a book or chapter...but pick a topic to study...then search your Bible for scripture to help you grasp and understand that topic better.

The program was amazing, it changed my life forever! I will always love and be thankful for the leaders who taught us and loved us. (I don't remember all 400 of them anymore! nor do I remember where in the Bible most of them are found.) Often I'll find myself thinking of a verse I previously memorized and won't be able to find it.

The topic idea is really great! I've actually never really thought of it like that before except for when I read teaching books. But if I could combine a little reading from a teaching book and some research on related Bible verses on my own that would be one powerful Bible study!

I'm trying to get through the history books of the Old Testament because I haven't read a lot of them yet. I've read from Genesis to 1 Kings, Psalms, Proverbs, Songs of Solomon, Ecclesiates, but I haven't read most of the minor prophets.

disciple
06-07-2006, 01:38 PM

Same, sometimes.

I'll never be able to do anything big.

Today, I've done 15+ minutes reading cut in two parts. I needed to do a lot of extra moment ago to battle with lust. My first successful (more or less) bout of such size in a long while.

dawn of light
06-08-2006, 07:07 AM
I'll never be able to do anything big.

I hope you don't actually believe that about yourself. God created you to do great things. "Big things" doesn't always have to refer to leading thousands of people to Christ and such...even if you just lead one person to Christ, that is HUGE. That is one more spirit in heaven because of you. But think about it this way, if you lead one person to Christ, how many people will he/she lead to Christ? You've just started a chain reaction that can turn into thousands being led to Christ.

Proverbs 23:7 say "As a man thinks in his heart, so is he..."

The awesome thing about God's word is that as we read it, not only do we learn more about God, we learn more about who we are as well. As we read God's word He will change our hearts to believe what He believes about us.

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Do you want to do big things with your life? I have no doubt that you can.

dawn

I still haven't been doing as well with my reading as I want to. Please pray for me.