petrameansrock
03-26-2006, 05:41 PM
What do y'all think? I believe in monogamy, just because polygamy would cause all kind of marital power struggles and confusion.

Just so y'all know....NO WHERE in the bible is polygamy forbidden. There are also no direct comments made on monogamy. Do you think its a sin then to polygamize?

aliengurl7
03-26-2006, 07:56 PM
do you live in utah?

disciple
03-26-2006, 08:05 PM
do you live in utah?
Or Idaho?

Sorry, couldn't help it.

TheFireBreathes
03-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Theres some sit come on polygamy coming out. I briefly saw it at the movies. Cant tell if it looked intresting or terrible.

skynes
03-26-2006, 11:48 PM
What do y'all think? I believe in monogamy, just because polygamy would cause all kind of marital power struggles and confusion.

Just so y'all know....NO WHERE in the bible is polygamy forbidden. There are also no direct comments made on monogamy. Do you think its a sin then to polygamize?

I believe God ordained one man and one woman.

In the OT days. there was one man for every 3-4 woman. Massive population unevenness.

They had no choice but to marry multiple wives or most bloodlines would have just vanished.

Isildur9473
03-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Or Idaho?

Sorry, couldn't help it.

That was low. :)

weebird20
03-27-2006, 02:37 AM
Your right the Bible doesn't directly forbid polygamy...but think about this...is it a sin to divorce? God permitted it because of the hardness of peoples hearts...

Matthew 19:8, "He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so."

it wasn't that way from the beginning...just as i think marriage was not always as such..God defines marriage as follows...

Ephesians 5:31, "For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh."

now this leads me to believe that a man is to have one wife and they TWO become ONE flesh...notice the words 'two' and 'one'.

so maybe God allowed the polygamy for the reason Scott suggested above...he did not think it was right but allowed it...just like he did not agree with divorce but allowed it...just something to think about.

somasoul
03-27-2006, 04:56 AM
I think it God is an idealist.

And since I'm married......one wife is pain enough, let alone two or three or four or (God help me) five wives.

I'd rather hang myself.

OTD
03-27-2006, 05:31 AM
it wasn't that way from the beginning...just as i think marriage was not always as such..God defines marriage as follows...

Ephesians 5:31, "For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh."

now this leads me to believe that a man is to have one wife and they TWO become ONE flesh...notice the words 'two' and 'one'.

so maybe God allowed the polygamy for the reason Scott suggested above...he did not think it was right but allowed it...just like he did not agree with divorce but allowed it...just something to think about.not arguing the point, but it is only talking about a husband and wife joining. It could be interpreted that in marriage that a man can have sex with only 1 wife (or a woman with one husband) at a time. In a roundabout way, God does define it as one man/one woman. He said that we MUST obey the laws of the land, and the laws of THIS land dictate no more than one husband/wife at a time. And fyi, God STILL allows divorce. In cases of adultery and where a non-believer no longer chooses to live with a believer (but that's another thread).

skynes
03-27-2006, 06:02 AM
In God's eyes unless sex took place the couple were NOT married.

weebird20
03-27-2006, 10:02 AM
OTD i see what your getting at...hmmm...though to me it seems that if it where that way it would say something more along the lines of "For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wives, and he shall be one flesh with them."

To expand on that verse in Matthew on divorce..what it says afterwards got me thinking...

Matthew 19:8-9, "He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery."

ok if you can have more than one wife...why does Jesus say that marrying another is adultery?

Another thing to think about...God instructed Moses that the kings of Israel were to have only one wife...

Deut. 17:17, "Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away."

This is exactly what happened with Solomon.

I Kings 11:4, "For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods..."

is this not an indication that God does not approve of polygamy?

disciple
03-27-2006, 11:43 AM
That was low. :)
I had some leftover from your "Idaho > You" thread. Thank yourself. :)

NightCrawler
04-17-2006, 07:17 AM
While I like to discuss this, and have many times on other boards... I am surprised the Law of the Land was not cited.

somasoul
04-17-2006, 10:51 AM
While I like to discuss this, and have many times on other boards... I am surprised the Law of the Land was not cited.

Did Daniel obey the law of the land?

sky_flashings
04-19-2006, 09:36 AM
I think it God is an idealist.

And since I'm married......one wife is pain enough, let alone two or three or four or (God help me) five wives.

I'd rather hang myself.
Hahaha, I know what you mean. And I couldn't imagine competing with 4 other women for my husband's attention. Women like being paid attention to by their significant other, so having other women around would cause a lot of trouble. I mean, look at Racheal and Leah. One was obviously more favored, the other was only allowed to have kids, and they began this game of who could birth the most heirs and this and that and who wants that?

somasoul
04-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Hahaha, I know what you mean. And I couldn't imagine competing with 4 other women for my husband's attention. Women like being paid attention to by their significant other, so having other women around would cause a lot of trouble. I mean, look at Racheal and Leah. One was obviously more favored, the other was only allowed to have kids, and they began this game of who could birth the most heirs and this and that and who wants that?

Gosh. I didn't even think of that! I thought my wives would simply bother me.......then again, they'd pester eachother to no end and come to me whining. Here, I wrote a short play about polygamous marriage. I bet conversations in our house would go like this:

Leah: "Somasoul, Rachel used my deoderant stick!"
Rachel: "But she used my electric razor on her legs!"
Leah: "So, I cook dinner every night while you watch Desperate Housewives!"
somasoul: "Ladies, can you cut it out? I had customers bothering me at work all day? Can I just sit here and pet the dog?"

somasoul: *Thinking to himself* I thought more wives would mean action. At this rate everyone will be in a bad mood and I'll never get any play...............again. Golly, it's been 7 months! Polygamy sucks *End thinking to himself*

Leah & Rachel: "Your dog smells bad and pooped on the floor!"
Leah: "And I had to clean it up. Rachel didn't even try to help!"
Rachel: "That's because I'm allergic to dog poop!"
Leah: "somasoul, tell Rachel that she's being childish and unfair!"

etc
etc
etc

*somasoul develops drinking problem. Later enters shopping mall gunning down women in shoe store*

Fine'

NightCrawler
04-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Did Daniel obey the law of the land?I was talking about Panheads' Law of the Land.

MeNtAlCaSe
04-21-2006, 02:02 PM
The secret would be to have a house big enough so they never had to cross paths.

theelectric3
04-22-2006, 09:52 PM

we're keeping an eye on this discussion. as long as it keeps to the discussion of it in parallel to biblical times (as the original post suggests) and the ideas behind each one (why would it work, not work) then it is fine. but if it starts to get graphic, then it'll be closed. end of discussion.

lamb_servant72
04-23-2006, 05:13 AM
Somasoul, sounds like you're adding children, not wives!;D