timmyrotter
03-28-2006, 09:22 PM
"INTERVIEW WITH SKILLET!

Hey folks,

Check out Real Radio's interview with John Cooper of Skillet (thanks, John)! Tune in online at www.wrcifm.com this Wednesday (29th) from 9-10PM EST. (To find out more about Real Radio, go to www.real-radio.org.)

There's lots of good stuff here for Skillet fans...."

i found this on skillet's comments on myspace... so check it out cause i know some of you, not to mention names will doubt its credibility...

korey_cooper_jr
03-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Did anybody hear it or record it?

terrasin
03-30-2006, 07:28 PM
No, I was out. Was planning on listening though. :( Maybe they have an archive for past interviews?

CJ

404not_found
04-03-2006, 01:20 PM
www.real-radio.org and click on listen to Last weeks show... its only there for a few days though so check it out before they take it off.

Edit: Umm, I finally got around to recording the just the interview if anyone doesn't get a chance to listen to it before they take it off... just I gotta find way to shrink the file size cause its huge.

timmyrotter
04-03-2006, 05:14 PM
yep its up!!!

Maugrim
04-03-2006, 05:41 PM
I was glad to get a few more tidbits from the new album... ;D

doormonkey
04-03-2006, 06:33 PM
aaagh, skipping and lousy buffering=interview hard to listen to.

Maugrim
04-04-2006, 04:50 PM
For anyone who can't listen to the interview, John talked of two songs that were going to be on the new album. One was about suicide (he didn't give us the name) and the other one was called "Those Nights", which is about John's childhood and how he loved to go to his friend's house and escape his life at home.

terrasin
04-04-2006, 05:15 PM
404, if you can toss me a copy some night, it would be appriciated. IM me on any of my messengers. Don't worry about shrinking the file size

CJ

timmyrotter
04-06-2006, 10:11 PM
hey guys i have just the interview up on my blog section of the panheads profile on myspace. check it out! i dont know how much bandwidth i have so bear with me... Qiuck link to my blog (http://blog.myspace.com/panheads)

terrasin
04-06-2006, 11:28 PM
I don't like the way she was putting words in Johns mouth. :\

John: It's not really a Christian song.
Her: I think it is a Chsitaian song.

*slap*slap*slap*

CJ

korey_cooper_jr
04-07-2006, 03:12 AM
I don't like the way she was putting words in Johns mouth. :\

John: It's not really a Christian song.
Her: I think it is a Chsitaian song.

*slap*slap*slap*

CJ

Haha, omg, sheesh, I can't believe she actually said that... HE WROTE THE SONG...I think he'd know what he's talking about :P

timmyrotter
04-07-2006, 08:43 AM
yeah it seemed like they needed reassurance that he was a christian... your christian though right??? lol i thought it was funny

shawnrealradio
04-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm with Real Radio. It's been quite interesting reading the comments about our interview with John. It's good to get feedback, and I encourage more of it.

Let me say just a few things about some of the comments made above.

(1) Some of you said that you thought Marlena was putting words into John's mouth when they were discussing "Open Wounds". I was surprised by that...so I went to listen to the interview again to see if that's true. I'm listening to the interview right now as I type...so let me say what I think is going on.

John expressed a desire to be relevant to today's hurting youth in the way that bands like Linkin Park are. He said that Open Wounds was an attempt to do just that. So, he said, perhaps the song is not quite Christian (and he contrasted it with the songs on Alien Youth). Marlena responded simply by saying that she thinks the song is Christian precisely because it addresses and relates to hurting people. She very explicitly said that she didn't mean to contradict him...and that in fact she was affirming (and "applauds") what he's doing (and John repeatedly said that he understood that). So I think it's clear that Marlena was not putting words into John's mouth, but was rather interacting with John's comments and affirming the direction the band is going in. And it's clear that John himself didn't take her to be putting words into his mouth.

(2) Another person said that it seemed like we needed reassurance that John was a Christian. I have to admit that I don't understand this comment. Why would we need reassurance? Reassurance for what? I guess I'm puzzled by that. Maybe someone can clue me in...

So, anyway, I enjoy the discussion. Again, it's cool to get your feedback. Keep them coming.

Shawn
Real Radio

terrasin
04-10-2006, 03:05 PM
John expressed a desire to be relevant to today's hurting youth in the way that bands like Linkin Park are. He said that Open Wounds was an attempt to do just that. So, he said, perhaps the song is not quite Christian (and he contrasted it with the songs on Alien Youth). Marlena responded simply by saying that she thinks the song is Christian precisely because it addresses and relates to hurting people. She very explicitly said that she didn't mean to contradict him...and that in fact she was affirming (and "applauds") what he's doing (and John repeatedly said that he understood that). So I think it's clear that Marlena was not putting words into John's mouth, but was rather interacting with John's comments and affirming the direction the band is going in. And it's clear that John himself didn't take her to be putting words into his mouth.
The fact of the matter is that John is the writer talking about a song that he wrote in which he stated "it had nothing to do with God" and then she blantantly disagreed with him about a song that he wrote which was very bad form. You don't have an artist talk about a song they wrote and then, especially in the public eye (or ear), disagree with him, and then give your own two cents about what you THINK or FEEL it's about after he just said stated the whole reason of what the song was.

It doesn't matter if shes pointing out what she thinks are facts about the song from a Christian perspective in relation to Christ. What matters is that he is a guest talking about his art and his work and some manner of good form is due there.

As for John saying he understood that, what is he going to do? argue about his own work in an interview? I'm sure he can also see her point of view as he's not stupid, but that doesn't mean he's going to disagree with her on the air (even if it could be edited out later). He's not like that.

CJ

zeroneff
04-10-2006, 03:42 PM
More like alien youth.
Did he had a bad childhood...
Or is it a call for help to God..
Is trying to connect to non-christians...
Christian? right did he get introuble...
thats an nono moment...
Becoming a metal rocker?...

shawnrealradio
04-10-2006, 03:45 PM
The fact of the matter is that John is the writer talking about a song that he wrote in which he stated "it had nothing to do with God" and then she blantantly disagreed with him about a song that he wrote which was very bad form. You don't have an artist talk about a song they wrote and then, especially in the public eye (or ear), disagree with him, and then give your own two cents about what you THINK or FEEL it's about after he just said stated the whole reason of what the song was.

It doesn't matter if shes pointing out what she thinks are facts about the song from a Christian perspective in relation to Christ. What matters is that he is a guest talking about his art and his work and some manner of good form is due there.

CJ

Thanks for the reply, CJ.

I think you might have missed a few things. In order to understand John's comment that "the song's got nothing to do with God", you need to keep in mind the immediate conversational context. John had just said that the song seems to be confusing to some listeners because they think (or expect that) he is talking to God in the song. John then says that "the song's got nothing to do with God" (meaning it's not a song to God or about his relationship to God) and then immediately says that the song is talking about his relationship with his dad. With that quote, John is simply clarifying some possible confusions about the meaning of the song.

More to the point, Marlena does not disagree with him about the meaning of the song at all. She does not say "No, it's not a song to your dad" or "No, it really is a song about God". She obviously doesn't say that. Nor does she say anything about what she thinks the song is about. All she says is that a song that's about pain and suffering and broken relationships can be just as Christian of a song as a praise chorus with numerous references to God/Jesus. I don't see the bad form in any of this.

I appreciate your thoughts, though.
Shawn

terrasin
04-10-2006, 05:37 PM
I was listening to the interview while I was typing that out. I've listened to it several times since, so no, I didn't miss anything. You are right in your first paragraph confirming what I said that John was explaining that the song had nothing to do with God.

As far as the second part, her exact words are as stated: "John, I have to disagree with you on what you said. You won't be mad, will you? I think the song is exactly Christian." So with your second comment, I suggest that you take a listen to it again. Right there is what I am talking about. She put the artist on the spot with her own opinion after he got done with saying what the song was about. And that, my friend, is very bad form. Hence, we return to my previous post in which I stated that she continue to talk about what she felt the song meant.

CJ

shawnrealradio
04-10-2006, 06:02 PM
As far as the second part, her exact words are as stated: "John, I have to disagree with you on what you said. You won't be mad, will you? I think the song is exactly Christian." So with your second comment, I suggest that you take a listen to it again. Right there is what I am talking about. She put the artist on the spot with her own opinion after he got done with saying what the song was about. And that, my friend, is very bad form. Hence, we return to my previous post in which I stated that she continue to talk about what she felt the song meant.

CJ

Hi again, CJ.

That's interesting...I was listening to the interview multiple times as I was typing the replies...so no need for me to follow your suggestion to listen to it again.

I'm glad we agree that John was simply claiming that the song was not a *letter* to God, if you will, but rather a *letter* to his dad. However, we continue to disagree, it appears about this: Marlena was *not* asserting anything about the *meaning* of the song. She was asserting something about how it is perfectly appropriate for Christians to write music about life, whether there is explicit reference to God in the song or not. And why is that bad form? It might be a different style of interview...one in which the artist and the interviewer have a conversation...not the standard (and, in my opinion, boring) interview format where the interviewer simply recites a question, hears a response, and moves on to the next question. If having a conversation with an artist about music and life means your putting the artist on the spot, as you say, then I'm all for putting artists on the spot...I wish more interviewers did that.

Thanks, again, though, for your thoughts. This is an interesting discussion (for me at least).

Shawn

timmyrotter
04-10-2006, 09:13 PM
well, well fellas... i was there during the interview, and it turns out John wasnt there, and it was actually all dubbed from past interviews, and John is recording Skillet's next album in outer space!!!

terrasin
04-11-2006, 07:20 AM
well, well fellas... i was there during the interview, and it turns out John wasnt there, and it was actually all dubbed from past interviews, and John is recording Skillet's next album in outer space!!!
Heheheh

I think the interview needs to be relinked so that people who didn't get a chance to hear it, can.

CJ

timmyrotter
04-11-2006, 10:10 AM
i have a copy of the interview, just the interview no music, on my Panheads myspace blog... Check It Out! (http://blog.myspace.com/panheads) and click on the "John Copper Interview"

terrasin
04-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks, Timmy.

CJ