I Bite
04-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Jesus may have walked on ice? (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060405/sc_nm/science_jesus_dc)

I don't know if this is supposed to go here, but I didn't know where else it would go...So.

Maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion...But it made me a bit upset.

terrasin
04-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Yah, I saw that too. It's a bit unprobable seeing as he called out to Peter to walk to him and started sinking only till Jesus came and caught him. If it were ice, it would have tipped. Also, how was a piece of ice suppose to catch up to a boat on the water in the middle of a storm? Row?

It's just another moron trying to prove the Bible false...

CJ

bob
04-06-2006, 11:58 AM
I find it extremely silly. I mean, Jesus walked up to the Disciples in the middle of a storm. Ice can't last in a storm. Scientists are desperate sometimes. That is one of the lousiest theories i've read in a while.

asparagus
04-06-2006, 08:49 PM
I find it extremely silly. I mean, Jesus walked up to the Disciples in the middle of a storm. Ice can't last in a storm. Scientists are desperate sometimes. That is one of the lousiest theories i've read in a while.I don't think it needs attention, but it does bring up an interesting issue:

If a scientist "proves" that it was ice that Jesus walked on, therby explaining and supporting what happened in the Bible, we write all kinds of hate mail.

But if a scientist "proves" that it was impossible for Jesus to talk on ice, therby debunking what happened in the Bible, we still have the same reaction.

Christians can be a little hard to please sometimes...

Alex

disciple
04-06-2006, 08:51 PM
That's not to say that Christians don't write hate mail by the tonnes as is, seeing how they like to defy that which they "believe" in.

cloroxmartini
04-06-2006, 08:54 PM
It says that Jesus walked on water not ice.
Even if it was ice, it would be pretty amazing considering that there isn't a lot of ice in the middle east.

terrasin
04-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Even more amazing would have been his balance and ability to move the ice to the boat in the middle of a storm... that's a big sea and they had a head start and a sail. ;)

CJ

skynes
04-07-2006, 01:10 AM
So even if it was ice, Jesus still pulled off a Miracle.

A scientist can never 'prove' it was ice, because he can't go back to when Jesus did and watch it!
They may surmise that at some points there WAS ice in the lake, but they can never pin-point exactly when (hence the 1500-2600 time gap)
So they can't say Jesus did or did not walk in ice, only that it's possible.

somasoul
04-07-2006, 08:18 PM
As someone who spent some time on a boat............

........Look. It's tough to walk on a small boat. It rocks back and forth on a nice day. In a storm it's completely justified to urinate yourself or upchuck yoy lunch.

This 'scientists' idea is idiotic. Because:

1) The statistical likelyhood of the ice being there is nearly nil.
2) Because Jesus having the thought process of "Let's walk on some ice. That'll be cool" is moronic.
3) I mentioned how hard it would be to walk on a boat and walking on ice covered in water is an extremely difficult task, nearly impossible.
4) The likely hood of the ice catching up to the boat would be nearly impossible.

Fact is that if Jesus walked on ice to get to the boat it would be just as much of a miracle as him walking on water.

I say we send this bad boy to the myth busters.

disciple
04-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Definitely. :D

bob
04-08-2006, 10:47 AM

Ha ha, agreed. I love that show.

404not_found
04-08-2006, 09:13 PM
3) I mentioned how hard it would be to walk on a boat and walking on ice covered in water is an extremely difficult task, nearly impossible.
4) The likely hood of the ice catching up to the boat would be nearly impossible.
-----------------------------------------------------

Not that I don't think the whole idea is idiotic, but I thought this was a funny way to try and prove it false :P Yes its nearly impossible to walk on ice covered with water all the way to a boat and yea a chunk of ice would not beable to catch up to a boat... but walking on water is impossible too. Even more so than either of those two things :P But this is Jesus here. The chunk of ice could have been hovering above the water if he wanted to.

Maybe he surfed on the ice chunk all the way to the boat... hmm...

amodman
04-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Here's what I love. Through a "simple" trick of walking on a piece of ice, Jesus deceived a group of fishermen. Men who had spent their whole lives on the water in that area of the coast. They would be essentially considered experts at the time in the area of condition in the water/sea. So, ya...

skilletfreak101
04-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Jesus may have walked on ice? (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060405/sc_nm/science_jesus_dc)

I don't know if this is supposed to go here, but I didn't know where else it would go...So.

Maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion...But it made me a bit upset.
it's funny how scientists like this try to prove miracles in the bible wrong. they take just one little piece of the story and tell you something else happened while they leave the whole rest of the story hanging...like for instance...one guy said that the israelites walked across the red sea because it was only a few feet deep...but if it were only a few feet deep...it would've taken an even bigger miracle for the egyptians to drown in it afterwards..haha. so yeah.

bob
04-09-2006, 01:14 PM
one guy said that the israelites walked across the red sea because it was only a few feet deep...but if it were only a few feet deep...it would've taken an even bigger miracle for the egyptians to drown in it afterwards..haha. so yeah.

Well, Egyptians were 2ft tall, didn't you know? ::]

somasoul
04-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Not that I don't think the whole idea is idiotic, but I thought this was a funny way to try and prove it false :P Yes its nearly impossible to walk on ice covered with water all the way to a boat and yea a chunk of ice would not beable to catch up to a boat... but walking on water is impossible too.

You're exactly right. But you're thinking of it from a Christian perspective.

REMEMBER The reason the scientists came up with the scenerio was to debunk Jesus' miracle. So what the scientists are saying is "Jesus isn't god because he may have walked on ice, not water." (I'm about to make this more complicated than it needs to be) So I'm debunking their logical explanation, not Jesus' miracle.

Their logical explanation is absurd and I'm pointing out their absurdity.