cinnamonxspider
04-07-2006, 11:03 AM
anyone out there like any indie? up here in canada, indie is getting super-popular, thanks to great canadian indie such as:

-broken social scene
-feist
-stars (one of my favourite bands)
-metric
(and go figure, all those bands are under the same label)
-tegan and sara

but yeah there's some other good indie out there, too, such as:
-death cab for cutie
-bright eyes
-rilo kiley
-the postal service
-i think "scarling" defines themselves as indie as well.

by the way, don't ask me how to define indie...i have no idea how to define it...once you hear more of it, you kind of get an idea as to what it is.

ps. if anyone knows how to define indie, go ahead, since i'm incompetent.

disciple
04-07-2006, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't know how to define it either, but I do like it. :)

Isildur9473
04-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Indie means independant last I checked, so isn't that just a bunch of styles of music that are free of a record producer?

Pretendeavor
04-07-2006, 03:06 PM
to me indie is pop that doesnt suck. i love lovedrug such a good indie band.

disciple
04-07-2006, 03:07 PM
But, the thread title does say "Indie rock". Not just Indie.

Pretendeavor
04-07-2006, 03:09 PM
But, the thread title does say "Indie rock". Not just Indie.
i think indie is pop mixed with rock that doesnt suck in my opion.

FromTheInside
04-07-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure what indie is myself but I do like Scarling.

amodman
04-07-2006, 04:26 PM
ps. if anyone knows how to define indie, go ahead, since i'm incompetent.

You just struck on one of my biggest pet peeves, congratulations! Indie is short for independent, yes it is. When a band does not have a label, it is what is known as an indie band, classifying them as indie music. However, some like to make up a completely retarded imaginary term in which indie does not mean independent, but some sort of style of music in and of itself which they just COMPLETELY MADE UP! I'd smack 'em in the face if I could! :D (that and I wouldn't...)

terrasin
04-07-2006, 06:18 PM
You just struck on one of my biggest pet peeves, congratulations! Indie is short for independent, yes it is. When a band does not have a label, it is what is known as an indie band, classifying them as indie music. However, some like to make up a completely retarded imaginary term in which indie does not mean independent, but some sort of style of music in and of itself which they just COMPLETE MADE UP! I'd smack 'em in the face if I could! :D (that and I wouldn't...)
This is correct. An Indy band is basically a band that isn't on a major label. There are some "indy labels" out there which basically means that they distribute bands who have no major distributer. Keep in mind that 98% of indy bands are trying to go mainstream. A band going mainstream would mean more sales, more fans, bigger shows, more promotion, etc. Though, there are those people, as stated by amodman, who believe that being indy is some sort of retarded "stick it to the man" movement... Yah, those bands usually remain exactly what they want to be and quickly fade away.

Anyway, on topic, some of my favorite indy bands:

CellDweller
Deadstar Assembly
The Birthday Massacre
Dead Inside the Chrysalis
Thinklove
Sleepwell Sweetheart

CJ

FromTheInside
04-08-2006, 06:45 AM
CellDweller
Deadstar Assembly
The Birthday Massacre

If those are really "indie" bands it mite be my favourite style/genre. :P

terrasin
04-08-2006, 07:05 AM
If those are really "indie" bands it mite be my favourite style/genre. :P
Obviously what I said above it went right over your head... :\

Don't expect them to be staying indy for long. I know Celldweller has already been toying with some offers from mainstram labels.

CJ

FromTheInside
04-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Obviously what I said above it went right over your head... :\

Everyhing goes over my head, You should know this by now. . gosh. :P

Pretendeavor
04-08-2006, 07:37 AM
This is correct. An Indy band is basically a band that isn't on a major label. There are some "indy labels" out there which basically means that they distribute bands who have no major distributer. Keep in mind that 98% of indy bands are trying to go mainstream. A band going mainstream would mean more sales, more fans, bigger shows, more promotion, etc. Though, there are those people, as stated by amodman, who believe that being indy is some sort of retarded "stick it to the man" movement... Yah, those bands usually remain exactly what they want to be and quickly fade away.

CellDweller
Deadstar Assembly
The Birthday Massacre
Thinklove
Sleepwell Sweetheart

CJ

i disagree with you CJ on what indie is i think its a genre and a term used for not a popular band.

"Indie and genres

The word "indie" is often used to refer specifically to various genres or sounds. During the 1980s, "indie" was synonymous in Great Britain with jangly guitar pop of the C-86 movement. During the 1990s a lot of Britpop bands were referred to as "indie", despite most of the movement being signed to major labels and dominating sales charts. More recently, the word "indie" is sometimes used as a synonym for new wave revivalist bands such as Franz Ferdinand and The Killers. The word "indie" is sometimes used as a synonym for alternative, a word which often bears the stigma of being associated with cynically manufactured mass-market teen-rebellion music from major labels. Such usages of "indie" may be considered inaccurate for various reasons: for one, stylistic qualities are often not accurately correlated to commercial independence or adherence to indie principles (this is particularly true when a sound becomes popular, its leading exponents are signed by major labels and more success-oriented bands and production teams attempt to imitate the style; this ultimately culminates in commercially driven artists sporting the same stylistic traits the "indie" artists of a year ago had). Secondly, however pervasive any style of music (even one as broadly defined as "guitar pop" or "post-punk rock") may become at a particular time, it by definition cannot embody all of indie music, as, by indie's nature, there will be indie artists, labels and entire local scenes operating outside of this style and its definitions."
taken from wikipedia

terrasin
04-08-2006, 08:34 AM
Wikipedia is not a valid source for anything seeing as it's written by common people rather than people who know facts. But believe what you want, I don't really care either way. :P

CJ

cloroxmartini
04-08-2006, 09:10 AM
So what if these get famous then? They lose their independant status and are played all over the radio. Indie is short for independant just like emo is short for emotional.

Anyway. I didn't used to like Death Cab, but they're starting to grow on me.

cinnamonxspider
04-08-2006, 04:09 PM
You just struck on one of my biggest pet peeves, congratulations! Indie is short for independent, yes it is. When a band does not have a label, it is what is known as an indie band, classifying them as indie music. However, some like to make up a completely retarded imaginary term in which indie does not mean independent, but some sort of style of music in and of itself which they just COMPLETELY MADE UP! I'd smack 'em in the face if I could! :D (that and I wouldn't...)

okay, yeah, i understand that...but recently there's been a completely new genre that people have begun to define as indie rock. i think brandon was a little close when he mentioned "pop". while that word may make many of us cringe, a lot of indie bands tend to lean more toward (a more poppy sound, that is). so yeah, while you are correct about the independent band thing, "indie rock" itself is a totally different thing.

p.s. the sounds, anyone?

oats
11-06-2006, 12:16 PM

CellDweller
Deadstar Assembly
The Birthday Massacre
Thinklove
Sleepwell Sweetheart

CJ

yes dude.. nice sleepwell..sweetheart. reference.. WOOOO!! i am happy to be your last favorite of the indie bands..

peace out man.

oats

dieingdaylight
11-30-2006, 09:20 AM
Here is some of the Indie bands that I listen to and enjoy very much.

Manchester Orchestra (http://www.myspace.com/manchesterorchestra)
Shout Out Louds (http://www.myspace.com/shoutoutlouds)
the album leaf (http://www.myspace.com/thealbumleaf)
Death Cab For Cutie (http://www.myspace.com/deathcabforcutie)

kittygirl
11-30-2006, 09:58 AM
The Postal Service (if we are going to have Death Cab)

dieingdaylight
11-30-2006, 10:00 AM
The Postal Service (if we are going to have Death Cab)

ah I forgot to add them on that list! ah i so forgot about them! haha. yes the postal service is another great indie band.

skelfy
11-30-2006, 03:06 PM
to me indie always conjures up things like Arcade Fire, Feist, Broken Social Scene, etc. etc.

like. really mish-mashed rock/acoustics/pop/electronic. it's stuff that isn't really in any genre, but sounds kind of obscure. sort of. indie aka individualistic. at least, that's my own sort of definition. I guess you kind of just know it when you see it.

cinnamonxspider
12-01-2006, 09:30 AM
yeah, i came to a realization very recently that we as canadians see indie really quite differently than americans. we tend to see it as a genre and a certain type of music.

apparently americans see it moreso just as bands who aren't on labels. oh well. skelfy gets it. that's fine by me.

dieingdaylight
12-01-2006, 09:44 AM
oh and bright eyes is also another amazing indie band

kittygirl
12-01-2006, 06:35 PM
I like The Tide's lyrics....