TheFireBreathes
04-07-2006, 10:03 PM
I here a lot that the lion is used to represent Jesus in Chritianity. But what I dont understand is in the Bible it is frequently used to symgbolize evil and the devil and anger. Yet, I also see it as bravery, and a metaphor of God:

2 Samuel 17:10
Then even the bravest soldier, whose heart is like the heart of a lion, will melt with fear, for all Israel knows that your father is a fighter and that those with him are brave.

1 Peter 5:8
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Ezekiel 19:6
He prowled among the lions, for he was now a strong lion. He learned to tear the prey and he devoured men.

Daniel 6:27
He rescues and he saves; he performs signs and wonders in the heavens and on the earth. He has rescued Daniel from the power of the lions."

Proverbs 28:1
The wicked man flees though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion.

Proverbs 30:30
a lion, mighty among beasts, who retreats before nothing;

See, its wierd, how the lion is used for both sides. But why? That just puzzles me.

terrasin
04-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Lions are bold and strong animals, but they will also kill. :>

CJ

bob
04-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Jesus is also described as a lamb. I think it is to show both sides of Christ, his power and his gentleness.

aliengurl7
04-08-2006, 06:58 PM
You know a lion can symbolize more than one thing. The lion of the tribe of Judah represents God. It depends on the context of the scriptures.

TheFireBreathes
04-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Oh yeah. It just confused me because are theme for our next retreat is on 'waking the lion inside of you' and I was just confused on what my pastor meant because its used on both sides.

somasoul
04-09-2006, 05:08 PM
The Bible was written over hundreds of years. Perhaps the Lion was seen differently depending on the time period.

skynes
04-10-2006, 12:58 AM
Jesus is known as the Lion of Judah.

Lion being a bold, brave, kingly animal.

Satan is compared to being LIKE a prowling lion.
Cause he keeps trying to BE God, who is the true Lion.

In Daniel's case - He was in a literal lion's den! Hungry lions usually EAT people.

unshakeable15
04-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Not much in life is cut and dry; not everything fits into a neat little box that does only one thing all the time. That's why a lion can be used for the good (symbolising bravery and stoutheartedness) and evil (as a similie for the devil and his actions).

Are you always good or always bad?