Reeper
04-13-2006, 07:17 AM
K. So I was listening to the radio and heard this story about two schools in Colorado. Turn's out the principal of these schools wanted to take the American flag out of the school cause it was discriminatory toward illegal immigrants. But, the governor of Colorado called him and said you can't selectively remove the American flag out of the schools. So the principal said o.k. I'll just remove all flags and apparently that was o.k. So they removed all flags from the school.

Pretty bad right. Well, it gets worse. This principal has now taken it the next step and so has now made it prohibited to wear patriotic clothing. At first I thought well, o.k. cause I don't particularly like it when people wear the American flag as clothing, that really isn't its purpose. But no they have prohibited any combination of patriotic colors. So, kids can't wear the combination of the colors red, white, and blue. One girl who was wearing a red shirt, blue jeans, and white sneakers was told that if she showed up to school like that again she would be expelled. Two other students who were wearing camouflage pants to support the troops were also told the same thing.

What is up with Colorado?

Peace

terrasin
04-13-2006, 09:53 AM
A principal has no legal right to do something like that. Personally, I see that as treason and I feel that actions such as that should be delt with by the governmnent. This is not about freedom of speech. I am all for freedom of speech as long as your own opinion doesn't effect other people.

CJ

theelectric3
04-13-2006, 06:32 PM
that's messed up. the principal is stepping out of line, for sure.

alorian
04-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Okay, hold on a second. I'm from Colorado, and we're not ALL messed up ;)

Anyway

The principal in at least one of the schools banned both flags. There were fights breaking out between people based on the flags the other was wearing, the flags and flagpoles were being used as weapons etc. The principal saw it prudent to ban both flags, at least temporarily. I see his side. I think there was a better way to handle it though. Banning the American flag in America? Take that to the supreme court and it won't likely stand (Thankfully!) As far as I know, the flags are going to be reallowed in the schools. Not sure when though, if they aren't already.

EDIT:

I am all for freedom of speech as long as your own opinion doesn't effect other people.

As far as I'm concerned, you don't have the right not to be offended in this country.

theelectric3
04-14-2006, 12:51 PM

very true. it'd be like people saying everyone in cali is messed up or some silly assumption. :P

unshakeable15
04-14-2006, 01:10 PM
You mean we aren't? Gosh, have i been misguided...

Are there any links to articles we could read on it? :)

alorian
04-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Yes, actually :) Clicky (http://www.coloradodaily.com/articles/2006/04/14/news/beyond_boulder/news2.txt)

amodman
04-15-2006, 02:50 AM
Personally, I see that as treason

Interesting, since it is. That principal deserves more than a slap on the wrist. His side be damned, if he pulled that stunt 'round here all hell would have been broke loose on his butt.

timmyrotter
04-15-2006, 07:21 AM
wow see a connection between illeegals and our country going downhill? hmmm...

TheFireBreathes
04-15-2006, 11:06 AM
No not really considering its one principle, and we just made a law against that.

disciple
04-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Interesting, since it is. That principal deserves more than a slap on the wrist. His side be damned, if he pulled that stunt 'round here all hell would have been broke loose on his butt.
Yeah, if that happened here, we'd have trouble.

unshakeable15
04-17-2006, 06:20 PM
wow see a connection between illeegals and our country going downhill? hmmm...
You could pin this on a lot things.

Rise in terrorism.
Drop in church attendance.
Increase in the number of left-handed people.

Just because two things appear to coincide does not make them corrolative. (i learned that from a now-defunct tv show, "Science Court.")

spltflre8
04-18-2006, 09:01 PM

AMEN! There are just a certain few that are messed up. But we forgive them...