invinciblealien
04-17-2006, 10:00 AM
i don't know if any of you have heard of the invisible children movie or the global night commute, but in sudan children are being kidnapped and forced to become soldiers. every night thousands of children leave their homes and go to the cities to sleep because they are afraid of being kidnapped. in order to get our (the u.s.) goverment's attention, on april 29 there will be night commutes all over the u.s. we'll meet in a city and spend a night outside. i'm heading out to the grand rapids, michigan, one. go here (http://www.invisiblechildren.com/theMovement/globalNightCommute/) for more info.

Isildur9473
04-17-2006, 10:34 AM
The United States Government has no right to do anything about that. They should stay completely clear of this whole matter.

skilltroks
04-17-2006, 11:44 AM
The children need a voice. It seems they have non, therefore we should give them one. My Spanish teacher is trying hard to show this in chapel.

Isildur9473
04-17-2006, 02:31 PM
The children need a voice. It seems they have non, therefore we should give them one. My Spanish teacher is trying hard to show this in chapel.

That's completely ridiculous for the government to do. I don't know how many times I have to say this, but The United States has no right to go meddling in the affairs of other countries. Private citizens can do what they please, but NO government funding should go into any program like this.

skilltroks
04-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Which reminds me... OFF topic: Kinda like saying NO government funding should go towards war. Our govenment should help bring humanity to people, not destory it. ON topic: Whatever you say. Opinions are opinions which must be respected.

Isildur9473
04-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Which reminds me... OFF topic: Kinda like saying NO government funding should go towards war.

Humanitarian =/= War

So... No.

Our govenment should help bring humanity to people, not destory it.

No.. It shouldn't. It doesn't say anywhere in the constitution that we have to help other countries, they can fend for themselves.

timmyrotter
04-17-2006, 03:19 PM
yeah im with Greg. i really dont think it will doin anything to pursuade the government, they have bigger fish to fry, like immigration and Iran...

timmyrotter
04-17-2006, 03:20 PM
one more thing, if the US sends money, it will be misused, like Katrina, or Aids in Africa which is being used now for generally pregnancies, other STI's and healthcare.

TheFireBreathes
04-17-2006, 03:54 PM
That's completely ridiculous for the government to do. I don't know how many times I have to say this, but The United States has no right to go meddling in the affairs of other countries. Private citizens can do what they please, but NO government funding should go into any program like this.

Greg, Ive always wondered this but where do you find this information that we have no right to help other countries?

Isildur9473
04-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Greg, Ive always wondered this but where do you find this information that we have no right to help other countries?

Where do you find the information that says we have the right to do so? What Roosevelt did when he shouldn't have in the early 1900's?

I think it's pitiful that those poor kids in Sudan are having a bad time, but the United States Government has a duty to put everything it has into domestic policy before them. If they were American Citizens then by all means help them, but they're not.

skilltroks
04-17-2006, 04:19 PM
PS The money from Katrina was never misused. They just don't know what to do with b.c the government is still deciding on building codes, and crap like that. If they don't spend the money right away it will be gone. And the government is really retarded here in America in keeping track of where the money goes...IE people in CO where getting Katrina money.
Hmmm...
what's the good thing to do? The good thing isn't always popular and/or right.

timmyrotter
04-17-2006, 04:35 PM
im pretty sure Katrina money was missused. i dont see why the New Orleans people dont get off thier butts to do some work themselves. the government doesnt have to get them all new houses. its partially thier fault for living in a city on the coast, below sea level... hmm...

yes domestic policey first, you are aware that thier are approx. 12 million ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS in this country, that needs to be addressed first.

the US doesnt have the resources to help every country in the world!!! there is all sorts of bad things happening everywhere!!!

Isildur9473
04-17-2006, 05:19 PM
what's the good thing to do? The good thing isn't always popular and/or right.

You're making the mistake of thinking it's the governments responsibility to do the morally right thing for other countries... Which it isn't.

unshakeable15
04-17-2006, 07:17 PM
This argument is for another thread. Regardless of how you feel about the United States government getting involved, you have to admit that something must be done. And if this night commute spreads the word about the troubles in Sudan, then it should be done!

timmyrotter
04-17-2006, 09:03 PM
so why exactly does it need to me done Mike? to get the governments attention? cause thats all it will do, so that is what i dont agree with. what are the intentions of the walk? its not a fundraiser, witch would be more effective. basically it would be a protest of sorts to get the government to do something.

invinciblealien
04-18-2006, 10:06 AM
this isn't government funded. it's a program started by three college boys who went to africa to see what was happening. the global night commute isn't a march or protest. it's people commuting to the city to spend the night, just like the children do everyday. is it the government's responsibility to help other nations? no. is it the people of the world's responsibility to help their neighbors? yes. if we raise awareness by this commute, people all over the world can find out about it and do their part, whether that be raise money, write letters to the leaders of uganda (which is where this is taking place, i wrote it wrong up above)whatever. maybe we can catch the attention of the un or the us government, who can put some pressure on uganda's leaders without necessarily spending any money on it. or forget the government. if thousands of americans send letters to the leaders of uganda, maybe they'll acknowledge that there's a problem. and whatever money we raise isn't going through a government program. as far as i know, it's going through independent groups that will use it directly in uganda, for things like food and whatnot in the refugee camps and in the cities where the children go.

are you saying that whatever doesn't happen in our country is none of our business? the good samaritan had no obligation to help the jewish man, yet Jesus said that we should be like him and help our neighbors. we're all members of this world and we're all God's children. so maybe our government doesn't have the responsibility to do anything, but we do. and if you want nothing to do with it, don't go. it's no skin off your nose.

Isildur9473
04-18-2006, 10:39 AM
You said to get the U.S. government's attention on the first post...

TheFireBreathes
04-19-2006, 09:53 AM
Where do you find the information that says we have the right to do so? What Roosevelt did when he shouldn't have in the early 1900's?

I think it's pitiful that those poor kids in Sudan are having a bad time, but the United States Government has a duty to put everything it has into domestic policy before them. If they were American Citizens then by all means help them, but they're not.

I dont see it anywhere saying that we should or shouldnt. Therefore, it should be the presidents choice whether to help other countries or not.

Isildur9473
04-19-2006, 12:12 PM
I dont see it anywhere saying that we should or shouldnt. Therefore, it should be the presidents choice whether to help other countries or not.

OMG I KNOW! Let's leave all foreign policy decisions that invole money up to one man! Brilliant plan!

timmyrotter
04-19-2006, 08:40 PM
come on Greg, are CAPS honestly necessary?

NightCrawler
04-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Greg's sarcasm is totally called for. I agree, Greg. If people are gonna raise awareness, that's okay. But honestly, if the point is to get the government involved... not a good idea. Foreign policy, blah blah blah, the reason why we aren't there already.

petrameansrock
04-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Generally even when the US does help, we are treated abhorrently by the natives, and even so, the US has NEVER EVER succeeded in "helping other countries." Vietnam? Viet Cong won. Korea? Still divided as before. Mogadishu, Somalia? Our men were DRAGGED NAKED THROUGH THE STREETS by the very people they were trying to help. Because of that we stayed out of Rwanda in 1994 and because of that we have no right, and no obligation to interfere now.

Isildur9473
04-26-2006, 02:40 PM
come on Greg, are CAPS honestly necessary?

I guess I thought they were since I posted them.

aliengurl7
04-30-2006, 09:59 AM
i don't know if any of you have heard of the invisible children movie or the global night commute, but in sudan children are being kidnapped and forced to become soldiers. every night thousands of children leave their homes and go to the cities to sleep because they are afraid of being kidnapped. in order to get our (the u.s.) goverment's attention, on april 29 there will be night commutes all over the u.s. we'll meet in a city and spend a night outside. i'm heading out to the grand rapids, michigan, one. go here (http://www.invisiblechildren.com/theMovement/globalNightCommute/) for more info.
What is them camping out going to do? Make the american people aware,what can we do? If they're so concern then why not go Sudan and do something about it. Protest to their Goverment. Our goverment most likely isn't going to do anything because they don't care and its not their problem.I mean there's thousands of people starving in Africa and all over the country and our goverment doesn't step in to help, why would this be any different?